Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire! Build Thread, i got mine!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire! Build Thread, i got mine!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 AM
jagdpanther9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the rearward C/G. mine is electric and upon landing just loved to go on its nose with the forward recommended C/G. i cant remember the exact C/G measurement for mine but it was at the rearward limits and the model is still well mannered in flight and keeps the tail down much better when landing.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I balance my planes at 28 to 32% of the chord, measured at the fuselage. Did any of you work up the figures to calculate what percentage you used?
Old 09-24-2019, 06:23 PM
jeff4steel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made about 800grams of dead weight on nose to achieve a rearward CG within the range given in the manual. Total flying weight is to measure later.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:01 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff4steel
I just made about 800grams of dead weight on nose to achieve a rearward CG within the range given in the manual. Total flying weight is to measure later.
Jeff, post a few photos of your FG40 installation, it would be interesting to see what you did. I have the FG36 installed in my H9 Spitfire and it's an awesome combination, it looks and sounds great, I changed the CG to 130mm and it flies much better at 130mm than the CG that is called for in the assembly manual.

Roger
Old 09-29-2019, 07:09 PM
jeff4steel

Originally Posted by ForcesR
Jeff, post a few photos of your FG40 installation, it would be interesting to see what you did. I have the FG36 installed in my H9 Spitfire and it's an awesome combination, it looks and sounds great, I changed the CG to 130mm and it flies much better at 130mm than the CG that is called for in the assembly manual.

Roger
I would like to do so but I didn't post anything before and it's not allowed for me to paste photos until I write somewhere for 10 times here... I will try to make it though
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 AM
jeff4steel

Default some photos showing the dead weight and Saito FG40 in the cowl

The following users liked this post:
Warbird AL (02-04-2021)
Old 10-09-2019, 03:30 PM
ForcesR

Jeff, what material are you using to hide the gap between the cowl and the removable hatch? I'm wondering why you had to use so much dead weight to meet your CG when you have the FG40 installed using the stock Saito engine mount? I have the FG36 installed in my H9 Spitfire which is basically the same as the FG40 and I only required 382.7 grams (13.5oz) to meet a CG of 130mm?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 PM
jeff4steel

Jeff, what material are you using to hide the gap between the cowl and the removable hatch? I'm wondering why you had to use so much dead weight to meet your CG when you have the FG40 installed using the stock Saito engine mount? I have the FG36 installed in my H9 Spitfire which is basically the same as the FG40 and I only required 382.7 grams (13.5oz) to meet a CG of 130mm?
ForcesR, there is no gap in mine. I coated 2 layers of thin fiber glass cloth on the entire firewall block before installing the engine mount. Thickness of these two layers could be ignored. I used stock Saito mount which has 4 mounting holes drilled by default, and there isn't any shim between the firewall and the mount. The distance between firewall and the prop back plate is about 2-3mm less than it's defined in the manual. I suppose this is why I gotta have more dead weight. Cowl top side, in this way, covers the removal hatch and the overlapped can be 2mm or even bigger.
I also fixed Rx. and a Dualsky VR Pro (to feed 6V power to Rx and servos from my 2S Lipo) close to the rear side of wing, in the fuselage. In the past whenever the distance between Rx. and CDI was less than 40cm, I could experience some disturbing in the control. This happened for maybe 3-4 times to my Evo 10CC gassier. Probably I am too much concerned and I plan to shift Rx. and accessories to the place recommended by the manual, which might help me reduce the dead weight as well. I will also try to adjust the dead weight for CG about 130mm, while I tried 125mm before.
If your Rx is put under the hatch and CDI is mounted similarly, did you have any issues in remote control?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, looks good!
I have the FG40 as well, but in a diferent model, a Hawker Typhoon. Are you able to start the engine by hand? I am UNABLE to and have checked timing and everything...this things just totally opposed to handstarting! Its a PITA, but once its started, its a great engine, plenty of guts and sounds so much better than a garden implement engine!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 AM
jeff4steel

Originally Posted by cathurga
Jeff, looks good!
I have the FG40 as well, but in a diferent model, a Hawker Typhoon. Are you able to start the engine by hand? I am UNABLE to and have checked timing and everything...this things just totally opposed to handstarting! Its a PITA, but once its started, its a great engine, plenty of guts and sounds so much better than a garden implement engine!
Hi, Cathurga! Unfortunately I couldn't start it manually by hand. I've tried twice and each time I tried about 20 mins. This is really sad. I heard comments from friends that Saito gas engine gives authentic sound while OS gas engine makes everything easy. I encountered a weird situation actually a few days ago. All was fine at home but after I plugged in batteries to both Rx and CDI and tried to start it by a starter in the flying field, the Rx failed. I had one temperature sensor and the RPM sensor wire from CDI both connected to Spectrum AR9030 Rx's sockets accordingly. One end of temperature sensor wiring was banded on the muffler, which showed me reading without issues before. I cannot figure out what's wrong and how the Rx. failed. Now I cannot even bind this AR9030 but its two satellites were tested to be fine. I am now waiting for an AR12310T Rx. that's just bought and on its way. Hopefully I could post some positive things after I clear all the mess.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM
ForcesR

Jeff, my RX is located in the area under the hatch behind the fuel tank and the electronic ignition box is attached beneath the engine box. I have never had any flight control issues due to electronic signal interference. I have to use an electric starter when the engine is cold for the first start of the day. After that first start the FG36 will hand start very easily, usually on the 2nd or 3rd hand flip as long as the engine is still warm. If I allow the engine to get cold between flights then I have to use the electric starter again.

Roger
Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 PM
jeff4steel

Jeff, my RX is located in the area under the hatch behind the fuel tank and the electronic ignition box is attached beneath the engine box. I have never had any flight control issues due to electronic signal interference. I have to use an electric starter when the engine is cold for the first start of the day. After that first start the FG36 will hand start very easily, usually on the 2nd or 3rd hand flip as long as the engine is still warm. If I allow the engine to get cold between flights then I have to use the electric starter again.

Roger
Roger, Thank you very much for such a valuable reply!
Old 10-17-2020, 12:24 PM
spitty

Hello friends of these. beautiful Spitfire. Does anyone have a copy of the flight review, published in July 2014 of the
Model Airplane News magazine?

thanks in advance and stay healthy

Andy

Old 01-25-2021, 06:55 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I was given a crashed H9 30cc Spitfire that I've starting rebuilding, the front end is smashed so I need a bit of info.

How long is the engine box that protrudes past the last fuselage former - please see photo

Does anyone have the engine mounting template that you can scan and post it here.

What are the dimensions of the firewall, height and width?

Thank- you, ken kalynuk, Winnipeg, Canada

Old 01-25-2021, 08:33 PM
ForcesR

Ken, I can give you the info you require tomorrow Tuesday 26- Jan. I don't have a scanner to scan the template but I can give you the measurements for the template including the vertical & horizontal cross hair measurements.

Roger
Old 01-26-2021, 04:13 AM
kenair

Ken, I can give you the info you require tomorrow Tuesday 26- Jan. I don't have a scanner to scan the template but I can give you the measurements for the template including the vertical & horizontal cross hair measurements.

Roger
Hi Roger, that is super.
thank-you, ken
Old 01-26-2021, 11:37 AM
ForcesR

Good day Ken, the info you requested. The length of the LH & RH crutches (Eng box sides) extend from frame/former # 1 are as follows:

Left side - 60mm
Right side - 55mm
Height of L & R crutch at # 1 frame/former - 105mm
Height of L & R crutch at front where engine is mounted is - 87mm
Total width of engine box is - 117mm

As seen in the attached photo, the bottom of the engine box is sloped upward. The L & R crutch extends at the bottom of the engine box to the 16mm mark, then the angle extends upward to the front of the engine mount face at the 87mm mark. The top and bottom panels of the engine box are all 2.5mm thickness.

The engine mount template: Height - 91mm
The engine mount template: Width - 117mm

Using your photo of the engine mount template, the vertical cross hair line is 52mm measured from the right side. If you measure from the left side while facing the template the vertical cross hair is at 65mm.

The horizontal cross hair line measured from the top of the template down is at 51mm. If you measure from the bottom of the template up the line is at 40mm.

What engine are you planning on using in the Spitfire?

If you require any further clarification of the measurements I provided just let me know.

Roger

Old 01-26-2021, 11:51 AM
kenair

Hi Roger, thank-you for the quick work on the firewall measurements.
I have a used DLE35 that I plan to use in the H9 Spitfire.
The H9 was going into the bonfire after the crash so I rescued it.
I seem to be collecting Spitifres, I got my Brian Taylor Mk.IX flying in 2020, it has a DLE 55RA and my Yellow Aircraft Mk. XIV is going strong on year 10, it has a DLE 55 side exhaust, my old trsuty Dynaflite Spit with a DLE 30 is on year 12.

So the Hangar 9 Spitfire will be a good everyday flyer once I complete the rebuild.

The following users liked this post:
Warbird AL (02-04-2021)
Old 02-26-2022, 07:19 PM
Pitts532M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finishing up, for the DLE 35 RA, how did you handle the cowl fit? Big gap at the spinner plate, or some other method to cover the gap at the hatch?
Thank-you.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:59 AM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by Pitts532M
Finishing up, for the DLE 35 RA, how did you handle the cowl fit? Big gap at the spinner plate, or some other method to cover the gap at the hatch?
Thank-you.
I have the Saito FG-36 installed in the H9 Spitfire. I installed a shroud to cover the gap at the hatch. The shroud is made from 1/32 ply with a narrower piece of 1/32 ply on the underside of the upper ply shroud to give enough space so the hatch fits underneath the top shroud without being obstructed. Go to page 9, post # 209 to see photos of the shroud.

Roger

Last edited by ForcesR; 02-27-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:24 PM
Pitts532M

Thank-you Roger,
Old 10-10-2022, 08:51 AM
p3arljam
My Feedback: (5)

Anyone have an extra spinner ?