Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

3W Bearcat with Moki 300

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

3W Bearcat with Moki 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 10:56 PM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchilito
Thanks for the complement, Detlef!

What kind of spare parts would you want to keep around for you Mokis, just out of curiosity? Only thing I can think of is exhaust pushrods - but I'm hoping reaming exhaust guides and oiling will fix that problem.

Any your two bearcats are going to be the stars of the show wherever you go, that's for sure.

Mitch,

I dont have a stock of spare parts.

The pushrod- problem is sorted out when you frequently lube your ex-valves, and normally these engine run for many hours without significant wear.
The following users liked this post:
mitchilito (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 02:34 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey Detlef, I can't believe it but I"m finally installing my landing gear into the wings. I't been at least FIVE YEARS since I built them!!! I'll try to get a video up in the next day or two. They are coming out nicely, I think. We'll see if they hold up. . . . . (not as nice as your new ones of course)

With the maiden flight looming on the horizon I have a question: What kind of elevator trim is required on this airframe with flap deployment? I'll have three position flaps - up, takeoff and full (landing) flaps.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:54 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Hey Detlef, I can't believe it but I"m finally installing my landing gear into the wings. I't been at least FIVE YEARS since I built them!!! I'll try to get a video up in the next day or two. They are coming out nicely, I think. We'll see if they hold up. . . . . (not as nice as your new ones of course)

With the maiden flight looming on the horizon I have a question: What kind of elevator trim is required on this airframe with flap deployment? I'll have three position flaps - up, takeoff and full (landing) flaps.

The Bearcat is almost as neutral as a P-51.

But (just my personal preference) I dislike the instable situation between push and pull on approach, so I also select a little downtrim with flaps ( 4-5%)

Better keep up speed than to park the A/C in 4 meters of height.

You see on the video- it comes in perfectly ( although a little tail heavy which we correct at the moment, building lighter elevator & rudder)
Old 10-14-2023, 10:19 AM
mitchilito

Hey, thanks for the info Detlef. This will give a little more confidence for the maiden.

I think I’d like a little up trim tendency to start but I agree with you about setting her for a nice downward glide on final approach.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:01 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Hey, thanks for the info Detlef. This will give a little more confidence for the maiden.

I think I’d like a little up trim tendency to start but I agree with you about setting her for a nice downward glide on final approach.

Hi Mitch,

any news of the mighty Bearcat?

In between it is getting pretty cold here.

Maybe to add a little motivation, the 300 is ready from rebuild. Featuring some modifications. I cannot resist :-)

Yesterday evening, the second 300 from a friend ( and also Bearcat jockey) made its first turns on my test bench.

It will be powering the sister ship of my B-Cat.

The two engines are totally similar build up and modified, as the BCs are as well.

They really shoud show exactly the same performance. The difference is a slightly differend blue coulour and a 14 instead of a 13 on the fuselage.

Hopefully next year, a meeting of those two would be great
Old 11-12-2023, 03:18 AM
mitchilito

Great video, Detlef. And what a run stand you have! Wish I lived closer. . . . . .

I finally started tackling the COCKPIT detailing. We all know that this is a slow process. It's slowing me down more than I counted on. . . . ..

Keep those videos coming!

Last edited by mitchilito; 11-13-2023 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:37 AM
mitchilito

Any news on your newly finished Rare Bear Detlef? Howz it working?

I took a break to put a jet together. Modern AFR products are kind of "instant gratification" nowadays. Especially when compared to something like our Bearcats! Only took about a week to finish. Then I went right back to work on the Bear. I installed a super light weight wire tunnel to get all the wires and air lines to the front. I still have to tackle the cockpit kit but that really is the very last thing now.

The clear tube started life as a neon light protector tube and the foam bulkheads are 1/2" EPP foam. Weighs nearly nothing.

Amazingly empty looking tail!

Here's a Quick Look at my shiny new Jet:

​​​​​​​

Last edited by mitchilito; 12-31-2023 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 04:36 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Hi Mitch,
the Bear has received some reworks and improvements.

First of all, the repaired and highly modified 300, then I am still working on a new (lighter) elevator. Need to move the CG more to the nose, without adding a single gram to the A/C.

Need to straighten the original rudders to make them worth making a mould of it.

They are pretty twisted in any 3 W BC I know.

Will take some time until that is done. Will be ready in springtime I hope.

-----------------

Last week, I did some reworking on my T-33 ( onboard cmpressor, new steerable drum brakes) and the last days I spent on the Phoenix engine. Was running on the test bench yesterday with the new bigger reduction drive.

It is turning a 37-25" Prop now. Man that makes some wind..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7473.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	2273719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7475.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	2273720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7476.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2273721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7542.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2273722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7565.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2273723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7571.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2273724  

Last edited by Detlef Kunkel; 12-31-2023 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:24 AM
mitchilito

Wow, I see you are on a quest for the PERFECT Bearcat! Keep up the good work -
Old 01-18-2024, 04:49 AM
mitchilito

Well, I finished and flew the MB339 (a FANTASTIC toy IMHO) so it's back to work on the 'Bear. Here's the maiden. Who's the old geezer in the vid??

I spent a BUNCH of time setting up the landing gear SEQUENCER in my Spektrum DX18 transmitter. I have three functions: Gear, Doors and Downlocks and it has been an interesting process to get it all working together. I've programmed a lot of controllers/functions over the years on this and that but this sequencer really challenged me! I'm going to have the cockpit to detail and it will be maiden time.

An interesting point about this radio setup: I'm only using a 10 channel receiver but this aircraft requires FIFTEEN separate functions! But you'll also see I"m using an Aura 12 pro stabilization system (I wouldn't fly without one nowadays). So I harvest all the channels available on the receiver and get the other functions out of the empty Aura ports - that can be set up to use any and all available channels coming out of the transmitter (Spektrum DX18).

Last edited by mitchilito; 01-18-2024 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:33 PM
mitchilito

Exciting times in the shop today! I finally saw the landing gear that I made 6 years ago work for the first time!! Still needs some tweaking but I'm very happy with the sequencing and power of operation. Plus I got to see the bear on its gear for the first time!!
Old 01-21-2024, 10:40 PM
Detlef Kunkel

Nice movement- and nice moment :-)

6 years....I cannot believe it
Old 01-29-2024, 04:54 AM
mitchilito

Rapidly running out of things to do to the Bear!

View from the back. You can see I removed one of the three switches I originally installed. It was going to switch a separate battery for the pump and ignition but they are now each on their own Techaero kill switch. In place of their own battery I increased the two main packs to 6000mah 2s lipos. That ought to do it!

View from front of 50 ounce fuel tank and main and auxiliary air cylinders. I considered an onboard air pump but after gear cycle test I can get two cycles with PLENTY of reserve with this setup so no air pump needed.