Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimD.
This is what I meant by it seems every plane is a little different. Not sure why? Maybe they are improving the line as they go. Either way they are far superior to TopFlite or Hanger9 stuff.

Please do add the air conversion to the thread as it will only help others interested with the plane.

I would call it Quality Control if anything but either way inconsistencies are not good.

Could it also be because the tail wheel retract is not the one specifically made for this plane? I know the set from Gator is made just for this plane.

Scratch that, Dion, this is the set for the plane right? They included a mechanical tw, so you are converting it to air? The robart label through me off. So are you using the former that the original tw mounts too?

Dion, I'm dead set against pneumatics but look forward to your install. Its all about the speed and jams when trying to regulate the speed, not the leaks for me.

Last edited by AC2; 09-05-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:10 AM
Sonny.C
My Feedback: (23)

Another Top RC Mustang assembler here. This time I posted in the right spot!

What servos fit best for the retract doors and tailwheel? I'm using Hitec 5645 servos all around the control surfaces, but the 5645's are too big for the tail wheel retract.

I noticed that the flaps seem to have limited throw. Anyone else experience this?

I have to say this is the best looking and best built ARF I've seen. After owning a Carf spitfire I have to say the Top RC model has much better documentation and the assembly process has been well thought out.

Looking forward to flying this beauty and I hope the DLE55RA has enough pull power to make the Mustang fun to fly. I still have that sneaking feeling that the DLE 85 would be a better match power wise, but every thing I'm hearing indicates the 55 will work fine.

Sonny
Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 AM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny.C

What servos fit best for the retract doors and tailwheel? I'm using Hitec 5645 servos all around the control surfaces, but the 5645's are too big for the tail wheel retract.

I noticed that the flaps seem to have limited throw. Anyone else experience this?

I have to say this is the best looking and best built ARF I've seen. After owning a Carf spitfire I have to say the Top RC model has much better documentation and the assembly process has been well thought out.

Looking forward to flying this beauty and I hope the DLE55RA has enough pull power to make the Mustang fun to fly. I still have that sneaking feeling that the DLE 85 would be a better match power wise, but every thing I'm hearing indicates the 55 will work fine.

Sonny
I used 645's on everything except non vital areas there I used 5485's . I had to open the servo openings to allow them to fit, especially on the tail retract servo hole. There I added some 1/64 ply on top and bottom with epoxy to add strength then opened it up to fit the servo.

AGREED comparable to CARF if not better. I like the 85, but I also know how to handle the power without destroying the aircraft like some do then Bitc- about poor quality.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 AM
tahustvedt

Man I so want one of these kits. The P-51D is my all time favourite, and yet I have never had a model of it.

Will probably get the ESM instead at some point though as I can't afford the big one.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny.C

Sonny
I have turbine jets that easily exceed 200 mph with unlimited vertical, so I'm not looking for another turbine when I fly a P-51. I like to fly gracefully and realistically with my models and have as little showing under the cowl as possible, so the 55 for me will be perfect.

Some sanding is necessary when installing the control surfaces, I had to sand the lower flap gap seal with a long sanding block. Also, the corners on the gap seal were rounded somewhat, use a file to square these corners up and the flap will work fine.

I'm using Power HD 20MG Digital servo's on my plane, I used them on all surfaces of my 89" Spitfire and it has over 200 flights without a problem. http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ervos.html?p=4
Old 09-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Sonny.C

The flap and aileron hinges are Hysol epoxied in. I'll figure out a way to sand/file the lower flap seal and see if I can get at least 30 or more degrees of flap action freed-up.

I went and ordered 4-Emax ES08MDII 0.12sec High speed Mini Metal Gear Digital Servos. 2-for the retract doors, one for the tailwheel retract assembly, and one spare. They are inexpensive servos and reviews from owners are mostly positive.

Anyone have a picture of how the two gear door (mains) servo linkages are setup? Having the gear doors as part of the fuselage is different. The way the gear doors stick out from the fuse it looks like they might be prone to hanger rash.

The tail wheel doors will be on the radar soon.

Thanks for the info Luke!

Sonny
Old 09-07-2016, 05:35 PM
dionysusbacchus

Got some of my air system installed, the only hard part left is fixing the rear tail wheel former. I will show pictures of that when I get to it tomorrow.

The Robart 635RS Heavy Duty main retracts are almost a drop in, just a tiny bit of trimming of the wing skin, maybe 1/8 or so longer. But they fit on the stock mounts. This will be helpful info when Tower Hobbies finally gets their inventory up, as they will be selling all of the gear components separately. So you can buy the Top RC Model struts if you want to use those instead of the Robart struts. An advantage to using the Robart struts that I can see now is that they are easy to shorten, the Top RC struts can't be shortened to accommodate a bigger tire.

For those interested here is a template for the air cylinder mount, cut 2 out of 1/8" ply. Also included is the arm I used for the door, it is much better, made out of PC board. The doors are filled with balsa in that area, so gluing the door lever on with Hysol is not a problem.

Look at the pictures below to see how it is installed.

The Ultra Precision UP2 Valve makes sequencing the gear and doors easy, my system holds air very well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear door cylinder mount.jpg
Views:	5748
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2180122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00036.JPG
Views:	5863
Size:	805.6 KB
ID:	2180123   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00037.JPG
Views:	5863
Size:	765.9 KB
ID:	2180124   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038.JPG
Views:	5849
Size:	817.2 KB
ID:	2180125   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00040.JPG
Views:	5838
Size:	818.6 KB
ID:	2180126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00041.JPG
Views:	5938
Size:	789.9 KB
ID:	2180127   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00046.JPG
Views:	5888
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	2180128  
Old 09-09-2016, 06:05 AM
kochj

Do you regret this bird not having a wing tip removal system like the H9 60cc mustang? Or do you like this option more?
I like the plane to be able to sit on it's mains and still being able to transport it.
I have seen a great idea recently though....

Make a mount that attaches to the base of the plane that has maingear from a aerobatic 50cc plane.
Again, this plane isn't set up like the top flites are,. so a simple mount to the "wing normally mounts to" would not work...
It would have to be modified to work on this plane.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:16 AM
dionysusbacchus

In my opinion it is never good to transport a model sitting on it's gear. I always build a support system that takes into account the internal structure and has the most support over the greatest surface area. Having a plane shaking from side to side and up and down on the gear is extra wear and tear, but this is just how I take care of my models, to each his own.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:18 AM
johng650

Has anyone ordered the Robert gear combo?

A little bit more money..... but I really like their scale wheels that come with the combo.
I'm leaning towards them, and thoughts?

Thanks John
Old 09-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Sonny.C

Well, I managed to let the smoke out of one of the retract motors. I tried to use the Assan HK gear sequencer and ended up wiring it up wrong and poof, the magic smoke left the building and so did the motor's functionality.

Called Mike to order another retract assembly and found out he sells retract motors without anything else, which is just what I needed.

Hopefully the replacement motor will be here today or tomorrow and I'll proceed on finishing up the wings.

My first set of electric retracts and I'm already wishing I had installed pneumatic gear in the mustang.

Sonny
Old 09-16-2016, 02:28 PM
TimD.

Sorry to hear that Sonny. At least he is stocking some spare parts. The electric gear once setup correctly work pretty good they look the part as well I think you will be happy once the problem is fixed.
Be very careful when you remove the motor. All of the gears will want to come out , try to do that slowly so you know how to put them back. I wound up having to take the other one apart to see assembly myself. While you are in there make sure the gear set is seated tightly (drum/pinion).

I have not seen Towers offerings yet , but I do have the Robart 5 1/2" P-51 wheels on mine and yes they look GOOD.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:41 PM
AC2

Originally Posted by johng650
Has anyone ordered the Robert gear combo?

A little bit more money..... but I really like their scale wheels that come with the combo.
I'm leaning towards them, and thoughts?

Thanks John
What combo? do you have a link?

Sonny,
If it were me I would never run more than 4.8 volts on these motors plus it slows the speed which to me is one of the reasons I don't like air. I tested mine to make sure polarity was correct on my P-47 gear and also burned a tailwheel gear by running 6volts...just think its safer to keep voltage low.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:46 PM
TimD.

I have been running 8.4v or 7cell nimh's for the past year with probably 50-70 flights total between the Zero and mustang and 100+ cycles between flight and bench time with NO problems except for the inner gear thing on the mustang.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:32 PM
AC2

Tim is that with the ESM gear or the Robart?

Gator RC gear says ESM on the wheels (ESM gear?) and Sonny is talking about the HobbyKing sequencer. The Robart sequencer would have shut the motors down due to over current, the HK obviouslt did not. Also the TW I fried was HK so the replacement has givin me no issues at 4.8v ...but... either way I plan on going 4.8v just to keep the speed down but I'm wondering if the ESM are just lower quality motors than Robarts.

Tower does not show a picture of the robart set they sell so I have no idea what that "set" includes. Very curious...but when you add discounts price is close to ESM for the Robarts...I'm really starting to wonder if all this stuff is the same repackaged stuff. Very positive to hear separate motors are available but what does that say?

I ordered my 4 blade spinner from Tower but when I called to ask questions I got Robart on the line....

In all, we have a lot of options so I'm all for that
Old 09-16-2016, 03:54 PM
johng650

AC2,

Here's the link,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=8&I=LXGDHR

Here's reply from Robert customer service
"You will need to go through TowerHobbies I have provided the link below. This “combo” will come with mains, tailwheel, struts and wheels and tires along with necessary connections if needed"

I also asked about the wheels, they are the good scale wheels.

I have the electric rob art retracts on my giant top flite Zero, and so far I've been really happy with them.

john
Old 09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
AC2

Hey thanks John!!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM
TimD.

The electric gear is NOT made by ESM , I believe the gear are made by TopRc/Robart and they just provide ESM wheels with them to keep cost down. I have had ESM before and there is a big difference in quality between the two.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:23 PM
AC2

Good to hear. Will see what they look like when they arrive.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:39 AM
johng650

The engine I'm looking at is the torqpro 70 also. I've looked on the Internet and looks like I have to order it from China. For those who have it, where did you order it? Being from Canada has its down falls.

thanks
john
Old 09-18-2016, 06:28 AM
AC2

John, I got mine from HobbyKing.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:01 PM
TimD.

Ok Mustang Addicts some new things to look for.

Had mine out this morning and a flying buddy noticed/ told me he was seeing the wings flexing while I was flying. Now I do tend to fly my Warbirds like the real thing, Hard G turns inside and out, low and hugging the terrain as it is a fighting bird. I am not the race-trac pattern type.
Anyways after inspection The wing sleeve tube holders were loose and the ply that they are attached to was flexing pretty bad. looking deeper into this I found the former was cracked in a couple of places and epoxy broke loose of the fuse. When we were removing the wings the right side did not want to come out. After pulling and prying part of the sleeve tubing wound up coming out of the tube and stayed with the wing spar. Not sure how it was able to separate from inside itself but it did.
Now again. I chauk this up to the oversized engine slowly beating my plane to death, but I love the combo myself. My plane is 31lbs dry 32-33 with fuel. Pay attention and check every so often. This is about keeping you plane's expiration date WAY WAY out for a long time many seasons.

My plane is fine no damage or anything, but I will address the situation before I take it out again. My plan is to add an additional former epoxied directly to the back side of the Main wing holder former. I will also fix the wing spar holders as well I will be using epoxy/carbon cloth to reinforce the aluminum brackets from any movement.

Last edited by TimD.; 09-18-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 PM
johng650

Thanks AC2,
Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM
dionysusbacchus

For those that like realistic scale maneuvers and flight, this is how I like to fly my Warbirds. Everything this full scale P-51 does can be realistically done with this plane and a DLE 55 and when you fly scale with the correct motor you won't pound the p i $$ out of your plane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktqr98s8rM
Old 09-19-2016, 12:41 PM
dionysusbacchus

Dreamworks ULTRA PRECISION CYLINDER 7/16 X 1 1/4" for the inner gear doors. UP2 Valve for the retracts and sequencing. Robart 5 1/4" scale wheels with Robart 635RS 90 Degree Heavy Duty Mains. I used the scale struts from Top RC.

This system works great, no leaks, no burnt motors, no strained servo's, no extra battery to carry or charge and no extra sequencer needed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amvz8HfRAKg&feature=youtu.be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.