Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Focke-Wulf FW-190 A-8 by Royal Products Corp

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Focke-Wulf FW-190 A-8 by Royal Products Corp

Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Vortrog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Focke-Wulf FW-190 A-8 by Royal Products Corp

Summary of Model and as built conditions / settings

Build Type Plywood Frame / Balsa covered in 1/4 Oz Fibreglass and Autopaint
Wingspan 60.75Inc (1540mm)
Wing Area 642sq.Inch (4141.93sq.cm)
Weight 4.4kg Empty / 4.75kg Fuelled
Length 51.5Inch (130.81cm)
Engine OS 75AX
Motor Size Recommended .60 to .80 Actually used = 0.75
Prop Size 13x8 3-Blade Master Airscrew
Radio Spektrum 6 Channel
Battery Eneloop 5 cell 6V 2000mAh
Fuel Tank 12Oz (350ml)
Flight Time TBC
Stall Speed 47km/hr / 49km/hr
Centre of Gravity 95mm
Build Time About 12 months of 4-6 hours a week
Build Cost (including minor tools) $1,800.00

Control Throws

Ailerons High 15Degrees / 10% expo
Ailerons Low 17 Degrees / 10% expo

Elevator High 10 Degrees / 20% expo Need higher rates
Elevator Low 28 Degrees / 50% Expo Need higher rates

Rudder High 25 Degrees / 30% Expo
Rudder Low 15 Degrees / 30% Expo

Following encouragement from Klaatu, I am creating a build post for my attempt at this Model to assist anyone else considering building this model

This was my first ever build after flying sub 1600mm wingspan foamies for 4 years.

First of all, a big thanks to BigTim for his efforts in this thread which really should be a starting point as Tim's build is much better than mine.

For my journey, and to save a lot of reposts, I logged it all on this thread

Video on completion before taking to the field

On completion, my taxi test required some fixes to my gear and tailwheel. video below

The maiden was complete, but with an engine cut out. Video Below

I will add posts following regarding Ventilation and Baffling installs that I think the model needed to prevent the overheating that seems to have occurred. Video of subsequent reflight will likely follow as well.

Happy flying
Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 PM
limodune

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice job on the build and paintwork, looks great

Mike
Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 PM
jaka

Hi!
Nice plane ! I would advise not using a three blade 14x8 Master prop as that one is not that good performance vise to a two blade. I think a better prop would be a 14x6 APC
Old 07-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Vortrog

Raw above video thanks to Tom Markwell

I increased my exhaust area by 4x by opening up the old exhaust slots to 30mm wide. I also added a baffle to direct air to the head.

I also went to stock muffler to hopefully improve my power. That worked, as did the increased exhaust slots. No more overheating

Yes, I know its a newbie thing to walk out behind the model, but the rough was 4 inches long and I was taking no chances.

My mentor also ran a tacho on the motor with the 3 Blade 13x8 Master Airscrew. It was 9,600 RPM

Next issue is, apart from very lightly having to touch down at 40km/hr due to stall speed, is the nose over.

The field was boggy, and my low bounce tires did compress so much they allowed my oleo's to dig in and help the nose over (my oleo legs were muddy at the axle, thats how I knew)

I think I have to rake my gear further forward. I certainly dont want to move the CG back

Also, perhaps I need to move up to 3.5inch wheels

Edit: I certainly have to work on my landings regardless of the above. More practice required both on the Simulator and by adding weight to my 1200mm FW190 to scale match the wing loading of this model.

Last edited by Vortrog; 07-22-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: missed text
Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM
jaka

Hi!
Any 3-blade prop is worse than a two blade prop performance vise, and certainly so for a MA prop . MA props ,not all but most, are inferior to APC , RAM and Graupner G-sonic ,which are the best props on the market for glow powered engines, and for planes like your Marutaka FW A8.
Try one and see for yourself. I think a 13x6-14x6 would be a suitable size for your OS .75.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Vortrog

Thanks Jan. Noted and appreciated. I am trying to stick with scale rather than performance and have sourced a scale 2 blade spinner and 14x6 two blade for a future trial.

In other news, I am repositioning my Gear legs 20mm closer to the centreline to reduce the length and prevent oscillation during landing.

As I am using 5% Nitro glow mix, I am changing to a No.7 plug to hopefully reduce the motor loading up at idle.

Really though, my build (apart from the imminent shortening of my gear legs and improving the gear forward rake) is complete and a success. Apart from wishing I could strip about 500 grams off the final build so has some floating tendencies anything else I do from here is is tuning and tweaking.

Last edited by Vortrog; 07-24-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Vortrog

Leg's shortended 20mm, but still having difficulty handling the high stall speed and fast landings

There was a subsequent flight to this last weekend where I got to the field and had issues with ground tracking and adjusted my rudder trim 6 clicks. This really messed with air handling and I spent most of the flight with help recovering.

The tailwheel really needs to be spring loaded so I dont force the servo to skip out of its neutral position,

The land was not successful as I tried to flare and the model dropped 2m sudenly in gusty conditions. I have already repaired the gear but my landing skills for this model is frustrating.
Any of my other models have wing loadings of less than 90g/dm2 and are relatively easy to land. This one is around 115g/dm2 and I am finding it tough going.
I have a very experienced colleage taking her up next time. Hopefully, he can log a successful landing.

On the plus side, I now have a properly tuned low speed needle, and now engine pickup is crisp and immediately responsive with not loading of the motor during idle, but I have lost some top end speed
Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Vortrog

I had a crash as a result of running out of fuel, and had to undertake a rebuild
I increased the nose length by 60mm to remove the 400g of ballast that were weighing down my build.

On the way, I improved ailerons to wing mounted servos, added washout to my wings, changed my tailwheel (Sullivan spling loaded), change to Superlite wheels, and changed to a 14 x 6 two blade prop.

It is still a heavy build (4.2kg). The result was two successful flights of a much improved build. This was the second.

The following users liked this post:
Sonofasailor (03-14-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:33 AM
Vortrog

Nice chasecam video from a colleague's FPV Quad (thanks Richard!)
Old 11-22-2021, 08:33 PM
ohnow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a built model and some folks think it's possibly a Royal kit. Excellent job on your model and thanks for posting all your info! Do you think mine is a Royal kit? I'd really like to go with gas on it but I'm hearing some good reasons not to. Here's mine: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post48207333
Old 11-23-2021, 12:41 AM
Vortrog

Originally Posted by ohnow
I purchased a built model and some folks think it's possibly a Royal kit. Excellent job on your model and thanks for posting all your info! Do you think mine is a Royal kit? I'd really like to go with gas on it but I'm hearing some good reasons not to. Here's mine: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post48207333
Yes, its definitely a Royal.
I cant give you advice regarding a gas engine for it as I have never used one. My friends had suggested a OS GGT-15 for it, but although its sounds cleaner and cheaper to run, the extra 200grams of weight is a big trade off. AUW of your model needs to be less than 4.1kg to really be just in the range of fun to fly.
I am sure it might fly nice and scale with a smaller power plant, but for me, I cant imagine flying one with any less than my OS75AX. A Saito FA100 would be another choice to crank up the vertical power.

Your restrictions might be with the engine mount spacing. Its designed for a 60 two stroke. Check your intended engine mouting spacing against the models rail spacing before you decide.

Also, expect to butcher the cowl for a powerbox or side mounted muffler unless you find a pitts style muffler that is effective! Not many are
Have fun!
Old 11-23-2021, 08:57 AM
ohnow

Thanks so much for the reply. Ugh, I really hate the idea of butchering that beautiful "butcher bird" cowl I'd though of a Saito 1.0. I use that on all my Hanger 9 .60-.90 warbirds. I figured the Wulf might need nose weight as warbirds so often do. I don't suppose you have the manual laying around or know where it is online? I haven't been able to find it yet. Thankfully, I did find someone who posted pics of the plans so I could see what I could do to add electric retracts. That too will add to the weight, but I love a clean airframe!
Old 02-16-2022, 04:26 AM
Vortrog

I just completed my second build. More scale than the first, but with more weight (4.35kg). I hope to maiden soon when conditions are better.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:25 AM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Since no-one has made the prop suggestion...I will. Contact Christian Ramoser of Ramoser Teknic and get a 3 blade varioprop at same diameter as your MA.
benefits: 1 prop. Its ground adjustable variable pitch from 6 inches to 32 inches. Easy enough to dial in.

You'd want to adjust the pitch to get the engine at WOT static around 5500 rpm, unloaded max at 6400 rpm for gas/glow engines.

For those flying electric, you'd want a static at 6500 rpm and unloaded at 7200.

Electrics can spin a varioprop faster due to less vibration. Its a top quality desifn and Christian has put a lot of time, effort, and testing in his blade designs to get them as efficient as he can.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 02-16-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:40 PM
ohnow

Originally Posted by Vortrog
I just completed my second build. More scale than the first, but with more weight (4.35kg). I hope to maiden soon when conditions are better.
That looks amazing!
Old 02-20-2022, 01:33 AM
Vortrog

Thank you Ohnow

Below is the video a colleague made of my maiden for this second build. A real fun machine but not as nimble as the first due to the extra 250grams of weight
Old 02-20-2022, 09:28 PM
limodune

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice build and well done with the maiden, looks great

Mike