Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TopRC giant P-47 Thunderbolt ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRC giant P-47 Thunderbolt ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 11:04 AM
Colt4570

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
Something like what Nir did on his.
He told me he mounted some wood to the inside of the fuselage and then cut thru, mounting it like an elevator almost.
Sorry no pics posted of the inside of the fuse.

Thanks Mike, that looks really good! I'll give that a try.
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (04-20-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Colt4570

For those that haven't located and mounted the permanent wheel cover. I was going to use the old construction paper trick like for cowl mounting, but my wife came up with a better idea. She suggested putting clay on the wheel cover and lining it up on the oleo strut then pushing it down to get impressions from the screw holes. It worked out fantastic.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:19 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Colt4570
For those that haven't located and mounted the permanent wheel cover. I was going to use the old construction paper trick like for cowl mounting, but my wife came up with a better idea. She suggested putting clay on the wheel cover and lining it up on the oleo strut then pushing it down to get impressions from the screw holes. It worked out fantastic.

I was wondering how I was going to do this. Like this idea as there’s little to no room for error here.

one thing I did notice is these move ALOT with the rotation of the strut in the gear clamp. I’ve decided I’m going to leave these off until I maiden the airplane and am 100% sure that I have the wheel alignment where I want it before installing these doors.

Cheers,

PaulD
tailskid (04-20-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 09:49 PM
Colt4570

Question for anyone that is using the TopRC retract controller. Is there a trick to getting the inboard gear bay door servo to open and before the gear extends instead of after? I'm also using HV servos for the gear doors, but when I removed the jumper, I had no power to the gear bay servo.

I used the controller to actuate the right wing gear with the test button and the actual transmitter while setting up the right wing (gear, strut cover etc..). After I got the right gear bay door mounted, I plugged just the gear bay door servo into the controller to set up the direction and travel of the servo, but got no power to the servo (all lights were on). I tried plugging in a retract to the controller and with the jumper on the 6V setting, the door servo would activate, but after the retract extended instead of before. Tried the reverse and mode dip switches, but nothing seems to work. The controller below is the one I have. Any ideas?

tailskid (04-20-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 10:47 PM
mudflap31

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Question for anyone that is using the TopRC retract controller. Is there a trick to getting the inboard gear bay door servo to open and before the gear extends instead of after? I'm also using HV servos for the gear doors, but when I removed the jumper, I had no power to the gear bay servo.

I used the controller to actuate the right wing gear with the test button and the actual transmitter while setting up the right wing (gear, strut cover etc..). After I got the right gear bay door mounted, I plugged just the gear bay door servo into the controller to set up the direction and travel of the servo, but got no power to the servo (all lights were on). I tried plugging in a retract to the controller and with the jumper on the 6V setting, the door servo would activate, but after the retract extended instead of before. Tried the reverse and mode dip switches, but nothing seems to work. The controller below is the one I have. Any ideas?

switch the positive/neg on the plug for the retract leg.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:14 PM
Colt4570

"switch the positive/neg on the plug for the retract leg."

Oh my god! Ha Ha, thanks mudflap, worked like a charm! I was reading the horrible instructions and thought it meant to reverse the door servo, (not reverse the leads on the retract!) Plus, I have an aversion to plugging things in backwards, lol. Does that mean the power output on the other leg will be reversed as well, or just play it by ear? Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:36 AM
mudflap31

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

"switch the positive/neg on the plug for the retract leg."

Oh my god! Ha Ha, thanks mudflap, worked like a charm! I was reading the horrible instructions and thought it meant to reverse the door servo, (not reverse the leads on the retract!) Plus, I have an aversion to plugging things in backwards, lol. Does that mean the power output on the other leg will be reversed as well, or just play it by ear? Thanks again.
Lol I had the same issue, I had to reverse both.

Because the leg is just a basic electric motor it's fine.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:13 AM
Colt4570

That makes sense. And obviously I ended up reversing the chnl in the radio so the switch was in the right position! Thanks.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:23 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Revoc Custom wing bags

Received the Revoc wings bags for the TopRCModel P-47. Quality and fit are superb as expected. I suspect they’ll be a standard orderable option soon -

(they designed to hold 2 long tubes in 1 pocket and shorter 2 tubes on other wing)

bradley (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:27 PM
bradley
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ohhh.. nice!
Great work as always from Revoc
Old 04-22-2022, 08:54 AM
Colt4570

These bags look great. I was just about to order a set and remembered, I was thinking of adding the guns to the wings. Does anyone know if they can add something like that to an order. I notice the Carf P-47 bags have room for guns, but the bags are much bigger, (280cm compared to 244cm).
Old 04-28-2022, 07:23 AM
Colt4570

Took Mike's suggestion and mounted the bay door hinges through the fuse into a block of wood. On the left wing, I'll slot the block before I glue it in, lol.

Block mounted at about 45°

Old 04-28-2022, 07:30 AM
Colt4570

It did end up working out well. End result.

mudflap31 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 05:16 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great job Colt4570; I took the easy way and just screwed them to the inside of the wheel well.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Colt4570

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
Great job Colt4570; I took the easy way and just screwed them to the inside of the wheel well.

Thanks Mike! I just finished the hinges on the left wing as well. For whatever reason, having them recessed like that was also the only way I could get the bay door inboard far enough when opened and out of the way for the gear to clear it when extending.

On another note, every time I handle the fuse to work on it, the sides flexing make me want to remove the cockpit and add formers behind the turtle deck.. Has anyone else done any reinforcing?

Darrin
Old 05-07-2022, 09:12 AM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello Guys,

First time posting on RCU Forums in a long time, but excited to see a thread on this airplane. The information collected and shared here will be helpful during my assembly. I am in the process of purchasing one (Miss Behave) and I already have the Revoc wing bags on order. Thanks for the work to take measurements and help make those covers available, I have/had Revoc wing bags for all my airplanes! Mine will be electric and I will either use a Neu Motor 8025-150 with DA Prop Adapter or the Esprit 120CC. I think 10kw is more then enough and about 220 watts per pound based on a gross weight, with batteries, of 45 pounds. I already have a Jeti 200 ESC, but may go with a Jeti 300, but believe the 200 amp ESC will be more then enough for scale. It will have Promodeler servos throughout and flown on Jeti electronics and controller.

Anyways, enough about my airplane! I am looking forward to following your progress and hope to share mine along the way as well. It's just an assembly, but I may design a few parts here and there for it, I hope to have mine in a couple weeks. But I have one scale helicopter to finish up before I get started on the P-47. My goal is to have it ready for and test flown for a Warbird event in September. But, I tend to go a little overboard and the P-47 is one of my favorite WW2 warbirds of all time!

Talk soon guys!

Last edited by JRSmith; 05-07-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:01 PM
bradley

Originally Posted by JRSmith
Hello Guys,

First time posting on RCU Forums in a long time, but excited to see a thread on this airplane. The information collected and shared here will be helpful during my assembly. I am in the process of purchasing one (Miss Behave) and I already have the Revoc wing bags on order. Thanks for the work to take measurements and help make those covers available, I have/had Revoc wing bags for all my airplanes! Mine will be electric and I will either use a Neu Motor 8025-150 with DA Prop Adapter or the Esprit 120CC. I think 10kw is more then enough and about 220 watts per pound based on a gross weight, with batteries, of 45 pounds. I already have a Jeti 200 ESC, but may go with a Jeti 300, but believe the 200 amp ESC will be more then enough for scale. It will have Promodeler servos throughout and flown on Jeti electronics and controller.

Anyways, enough about my airplane! I am looking forward to following your progress and hope to share mine along the way as well. It's just an assembly, but I may design a few parts here and there for it, I hope to have mine in a couple weeks. But I have one scale helicopter to finish up before I get started on the P-47. My goal is to have it ready for and test flown for a Warbird event in September. But, I tend to go a little overboard and the P-47 is one of my favorite WW2 warbirds of all time!

Talk soon guys!
I have bought the Esprit 120CC along with another Jeti Spin 200 for my P47. I have a similar setup on my Zero with 12S2P 5000's.. Power to pass by the gassers I find.
Brad
Old 05-07-2022, 04:03 PM
JRSmith

Originally Posted by bradley
I have bought the Esprit 120CC along with another Jeti Spin 200 for my P47. I have a similar setup on my Zero with 12S2P 5000's.. Power to pass by the gassers I find.
Brad
Hello Brad,

I like the Esprit motors and have had good luck with them as well. However, the pricing on the Neu Motor is half of the Esprit 120 and I have had great luck with them as well. Not to mention, the Esprit 120 and the Neu 8025-150 have very similar specs. Although I do like the telemetry the Esprit offers. Just have to pay extra for the DA style prop adapter and backplate for the 8025-150.

I am a huge fan of large scale electric and this P-47 looks like it suits electric really nice with the front hatch and that was one of the main reasons I decided to go with it. I would assume you running four 6S batteries for a total of 10,000 amps and that is what I plan on doing as well. How was the flight time on your zero?

I found some 630 oz-in Promodeler Servos in a box but I only have three, so I may use those on the Rudder and Elevators and then pick up the 415 oz-in servos for the Ailerons and Flaps. I have not assembled an airplane in awhile and looking forward to it and like that its full composite. Sounds like there is a need for some re-enforcements in select areas in the Fuselage? Also, I think my biggest concern is the stock TopRC landing gear, mainly the retract units, might be worth changing out from what I am reading?

Talk soon guys!

Last edited by JRSmith; 05-07-2022 at 06:02 PM.
bradley (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 PM
bradley

Esprit motors are nice but yes, expensive. "Its only money, I will make more tomorrow". Wendy at True turn sent me out the adapter in the picture. Nice Stuff.
You are correct in your battery question, 10000 mah. That's as big as I can go in that Zero airframe. The P47 could take a car battery if you needed it, so big inside that plane!!
I have not pushed the zero past last years 7 minute flights. I could easily go a lot longer but I'm cautions.

Retracts? I'm on the fence with my TopRc gear. The second gen Zero struts I got were garbage and I tossed them out eventually. The P47 came with Retracts as a package. They look better designed but I'm frankly still on the fence to use them. Once bitten, twice shy!
Brad

Last edited by bradley; 05-07-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:02 AM
JRSmith

Esprit motors are nice but yes, expensive. "Its only money, I will make more tomorrow". Wendy at True turn sent me out the adapter in the picture. Nice Stuff.
You are correct in your battery question, 10000 mah. That's as big as I can go in that Zero airframe. The P47 could take a car battery if you needed it, so big inside that plane!!
I have not pushed the zero past last years 7 minute flights. I could easily go a lot longer but I'm cautions.

Retracts? I'm on the fence with my TopRc gear. The second gen Zero struts I got were garbage and I tossed them out eventually. The P47 came with Retracts as a package. They look better designed but I'm frankly still on the fence to use them. Once bitten, twice shy!
Brad

I like that comment "It's only money, I will make more tomorrow" I attempt to say that to the CFO aka "wife" and she seems, not to agree with that when I am buying another airplane or helicopter! I wish Tru-Turn would stay with the hobby side and continue to offer products, but I certainly understand the switch to focus on the industrial and commercial side. I am looking at putting the VarioProp on mine, but If I can't get that either for some reason, I will just run the prop.

I had asked Mike at Gator if the retracts are reliable and he stated that they are working well. But I may change out the retract units regardless. I wish Robart had gear available, but when I asked them, they are about six months out.

Good news on the flight times and seven minutes would be plenty for me! I can't seem to concentrate more then10 minutes anyway before I am ready to land, so seven to eight minutes would work out well!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Electric and when I get started I could add to this thread or start my own. Talk soon.

Jason
bradley (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:06 AM
Colt4570

bradley,
Where did you get the chin scoop? It looks really good!

Finished up the control rods on the wings, and decided it was time to make my own extensions (should've done it a long time ago).

Old 05-08-2022, 10:11 AM
bradley

bradley,
Where did you get the chin scoop? It looks really good!

Finished up the control rods on the wings, and decided it was time to make my own extensions (should've done it a long time ago).

The dummy intercooler was 3d printed by a friends son. He did a nice job on these. Built 2 units for the 2 of us in our club that have this plane.
Nice job on the Linkage. Carbon rod and 3 mm links? correct.

Last edited by bradley; 05-08-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:35 AM
bradley

I like that comment "It's only money, I will make more tomorrow" I attempt to say that to the CFO aka "wife" and she seems, not to agree with that when I am buying another airplane or helicopter! I wish Tru-Turn would stay with the hobby side and continue to offer products, but I certainly understand the switch to focus on the industrial and commercial side. I am looking at putting the VarioProp on mine, but If I can't get that either for some reason, I will just run the prop.

I had asked Mike at Gator if the retracts are reliable and he stated that they are working well. But I may change out the retract units regardless. I wish Robart had gear available, but when I asked them, they are about six months out.

Good news on the flight times and seven minutes would be plenty for me! I can't seem to concentrate more then10 minutes anyway before I am ready to land, so seven to eight minutes would work out well!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Electric and when I get started I could add to this thread or start my own. Talk soon.

Jason
The new Gear for the P47 looks better than the other designs they have. The others were frankly garbage. I think the spring tension may be an issue. If I was to use them I think I will dramatically soften the spring tension. Looks like the fixed other known problems with these gear, other than the springs that is.

Try the line on the CFO.
It was on my grandfathers famous lines on life lessons. He had many sayings, but "It's only money, I will make more tomorrow" is my favorite.
Life is too short, enjoy the ride.
Brad
Old 05-08-2022, 04:51 PM
JRSmith

The new Gear for the P47 looks better than the other designs they have. The others were frankly garbage. I think the spring tension may be an issue. If I was to use them I think I will dramatically soften the spring tension. Looks like the fixed other known problems with these gear, other than the springs that is.

Try the line on the CFO.
It was on my grandfathers famous lines on life lessons. He had many sayings, but "It's only money, I will make more tomorrow" is my favorite.
Life is too short, enjoy the ride.
Brad
I plan on checking out the gear and testing it well before installing it into the airplane and if the retract units need to replaced, then I will do that before final install.

You Grandfather's life lessons are on point and very true, Life is way too short! Too many airplanes/helicopters and not enough time!

If the CAD or .stl files for the Chin Scoop are available to share, then I could print a couple more out if anybody needed one for their airplane, either in Engineering Resin or PETG. I planned on designing my own with the help of Aircorps Library documentation, once the airplane got here, but no need to reinvent the wheel if the designer of the files is willing to share. Looks like a bunch of little fun items to design and modify.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:35 PM
bradley

I plan on checking out the gear and testing it well before installing it into the airplane and if the retract units need to replaced, then I will do that before final install.

You Grandfather's life lessons are on point and very true, Life is way too short! Too many airplanes/helicopters and not enough time!

If the CAD or .stl files for the Chin Scoop are available to share, then I could print a couple more out if anybody needed one for their airplane, either in Engineering Resin or PETG. I planned on designing my own with the help of Aircorps Library documentation, once the airplane got here, but no need to reinvent the wheel if the designer of the files is willing to share. Looks like a bunch of little fun items to design and modify.
I can ask him. Will set up a intro if he is Ok with the request.
Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.