Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Keith's Top Flite Spitfire build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Keith's Top Flite Spitfire build

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:47 AM
CHEF-UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keith's Top Flite Spitfire build

Right,
okay this is the first major post that I have started so I shall try my best to keep this updated when time allows for me. I have yet to work out how to put photos up on here.

I have been flying now for some 3 years, and I would categorize myself as a intermediate pilot. I have always liked the spitfires and after some lenghty searching on the www I have finally decided to build the Top Flite one.

This is my 1st ever build. I have always done ARTF models before, so I am a complete beginner to balsa bashing, so I am bound to make mistakes so hopefully some of you out there will be able to give me some pointers as I am sure many of you have built this model. I want to do my best on it of course, do a little bit of scale work. But we shall see how it goes.

Right let's see if we can get the photo to work.

This is how it all begins.......

One thing that does make things hard for me, is when is the manual it says, !QUOT!grab a piece of balsa stick 1/6 x 1/32!QUOT! etc, I have metal rulers with inches etc on them, how do you guys work out what bit is for what ? I don't want to get further in the build and found out I am missing some piece of wood, or used the wrong ones. So far all is ok though.

And this is what is inside. (wonder if the photos, will A) work and B) be in the correct place.?

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27860.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	130833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15276.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	130834  
Old 05-10-2004, 09:56 AM
CHEF-UK

Default RE: Keith's Top Flite Spitfire build

Well the photos worked but they are not in the right places with my words, any ideas guys?

I shall try and post more details when I get home tonight from work.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:10 AM
squeeguk

Nice one Keith

Good to see you got it sorted.

I reckon, if you get stuck on something or are not sure about it, post in on here and let the pro's give your their pointers on whats the best way to go about doing it. There must be plenty folks out there who have built the TF Spit and kow the pitfalls and better ways to do things.

As for the size of wood, I keep a sheet pinned / taped up on the wall with all the sizes conerted to mm adn then just measure the pieces like that before using them, another way I have seen is to buy a modeller's ruler with notches on indicating the various sizes, this way you don't need to measure, just put the wood on the cut outs and see what size it equates to. See the link below which shows you what I am talking about.

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL457&P=7[/link]

Now you started don't let it go, keep up the building and the pics.

Best of luck Matey

Cheers

Luis
Old 05-10-2004, 10:19 AM
planecrazy2004

nice model, like to see more pics
Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Mutch

Page 7 of your manual will have a metric conversion chart. I like sqeeguk's idea of putting an annotated sample of each size close to your work area.

If you've looked through all the parts, could you give me a report on the quality of the die-cuts and of the wood in general? Not all balsa parts are created equal.

Also, how old is this kit? Did you recently buy it from the LHS, or off of a person who might of had it laying around for a few years?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:46 AM
lord lucan

Kieth ...

Nice kit..made your mind up then..your first kit....Hmmmm......Intermediate /advanced ...not to worry....right, before you set sail with this, you ought to get a few goodies in stock...nothing expesive..bare essential stuff..couple of right angle squares, one with that balsa sizing edge to it and another with a cut out on the corner, big square ..6" steel rule in imperial, 12" steel rule, razor saw etc ...Tower hobbies ..have you got an account ?...i'm sure you have ....if not.... i was going to put an order in tonite .. if you need any help...let me Know

Name:	Us53672.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	130876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44043.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	130877  
Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 AM
heliraptor

Hi Keith

Know how you feel.

Luckily I can experiment on this one I've picked up part built, needs some sheeting replacing on the wings, and then glassing.

Only a 69" span too so easier to work on.

Lok forward to seeing your project shape up, Like you I'm not very knowledgable on imperial, but it won't hurt too learn.

With regard to the pictures, if your linking them to a picture elsewhere, just go to edit post and copy and paste the link where you want it to appear in the text.

I may even do a thread on my Mick Reeves sport Spit for old times sake, guess somebody may learn something.

I'm not that an accomplished builder in the plane arena, but can hold my own in the heli department, if anyones interested take a look here.

[link=http://www.scalerchelis.com/forum/index.php?s=c045dc57d13af00345c80148a2b16a59&showtopic=1166]EC 135 build up[/link]

Cheers

Lee
Old 05-10-2004, 12:02 PM
lord lucan

In fact kieth ..if you want....i've got loads of stuff you can have ..ive got two of quite a few things [:-]...its the end of the building season for me now ....she wants me in the greenhouse... ...built the Extra .60 from a GP kit ....lot of work.....but it looks o.k. now....[:-]

Name:	Qo39516.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	130883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20160.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	130884  
Old 05-10-2004, 07:10 PM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for wood sizing, i use calipers. all of the ones i've seen come in both sae and metric.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:26 AM
CHEF-UK

Ok well I have done the Elevator stab the other day. Took me some time to work out that the Stab core has only one hole in it compared to the plan version.

I dont know much about building yet, but these die and laser cut parts just pop out. Really nice.

Name:	Tr49886.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	131154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42469.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	131155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99350.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	131156  
Old 05-11-2004, 04:32 AM
CHEF-UK

ok well I sanded all those bits and pinned them, used some thin and medium Cyano to glue it together. I think it's ok so far. Although I have no real idea just following the plans the best that I can. I am sure when I get stuck I wil be asking for some help on here.

The clothing pegs are to hold the balsa blocks on whilst the wood glue cures, there for fitting the hinges into. Some people are using robart hinges, the kit comes with cyano ones. Not sure if I should go with those or buy some robart ones. Any one out there give me some pointers on why to go for one and not the other.

Started with the elevators, pretty simple to construct, a little bit of sanding to get them flush and all is ok. I think.

Name:	Sq46844.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	131157  
Old 05-11-2004, 04:41 AM
CHEF-UK

Heliraptor,
Spent about an hour last night reading up on your web site about your EC135. Looks really nice my friend. Lovely work you did on it. Some years ago I had one of these which I did some scale work on. I bought it already painted, minus mechanics and engines, radio etc.

It was the graupner Bell 222, I fitted the graupner uni mechanics in it (4682), OS61 engine, it was huge. retracts, lights everything. Sold it though as at the moment more into planes. Though I still have my raptor 30 which i dust off every now and again.

When are you going to finish that page off, be nice to see some flying shots of it.

This was my Bell Heli, was painted in the 'careflite' livery. Careflite is the equivalent in the states of our 'bupa' I believe.

Name:	Li20992.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	131158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98847.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	131159  
Old 05-11-2004, 04:48 AM
squeeguk

Looking good buddy.

Just a couple of pointers, get yourself down to the £ shop and buy some of those orange and black clamps, I think you get 6 for a pound. also get some ratchet clamps. Next thing, remember to build light and don't overdo it on the glue in the tail area, from all the threads I've read, these birds always seem to come out tail heavy.

Slow down man, I'm gonna have some serious catching up to do, LOL.

As far as Robart hinges are concerned, that is the way I have gone, if done properly, they are seriously strong, I have been reading some horror stories about CA hinges of late on the forums. Check out Tubig's thread on this forum and see what was said in his thread about hinges when I asked recently. I plumbed for Robarts on the advice given there and the other threads about CA hinges. They also seem easier to install, just one hold to drill instead of cutting out slots.

If you gonna use Robart Point Hinges, use the 1/8" kind and make sure you get a jig too. There is also a how-to video on one of the forums, got the link at home, I can send you later.

[link]http://www.robart.com/Hinge.aspx[/link]

Hope this helps, keep up the good work.

Luis
Old 05-11-2004, 04:50 AM
CHEF-UK

Ok well I made one of the elevators which I though seemed pretty simple, even for me. then tack glued it in place as per the instruction, hope this bugger comes off easily. Then made the right hand side off exactly the same.

Then did some gentle sanding to get everything flush and perfect. Still needs some work, but now this brings this build up to date. Unfortunately my trusty black and Decker Mouse dies on me today whilst sanding. It just went brrr brr bang and then smelt my garage out. I'm not happy as you can see I have made him a little plaque. I think I need to buy a new one now. Only had it about 2 years and hardly ever used it. Oh well.

I think the tail is looking ok, like i said still have some more sanding to do before this area is finished.

Hope i am writing this thread OK for all of you, if you want to know anything just fire away. 1st time recording a build like this.

Name:	Vt58868.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	131161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82219.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	131162  
Old 05-11-2004, 04:58 AM
CHEF-UK

thanks Squeeguk,

Im not rushing this at all, I have done all this over the last 3 - 4 days, just have not had time to post anything yet. Bit of time today so thought I would update.

Off to a place in Scotland this Friday for four days (corsock) with about 9 members of our flying club www.leafields.com
One of our members and his family moved up there some time ago and lives in the middle of nowhere. So we are camping (not been in a tent since I was in the cub's lol)
Should be a great time for all, no one lives in the area for miles and we fly from the top of a valley with nothing in the way. I shall post some photos when I get back, there is some on our club web site the last time some members went up.

Just going to ring my LHS now and see if he has any of the robart hinges in for me.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:04 AM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keith, looking good so far.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:10 AM
heliraptor

Hi Keith

Have a good one, build seems to be on track. Did I read that your using mostly CA to glue the wood ?? I take it this is specified in the instructions what and where to use. I must get one of those mouses, done most of my sanding by hand so far, hence no fingerprints left

[link=http://www.scalerchelis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2211]Link to flight pictures[/link]

And heres one for you

Now lets get back to warbirds

Like you I'm having a break from my helis, I still fly regulalrly, just not as intense which gives me time to relax and get this Spitfire in the air.

Lee
Old 05-11-2004, 10:38 AM
CHEF-UK

Heliraptor, Thank you fro the new photos etc of your 135, looks very good, well done on that one indeed.
I am only using CA where it is advised, I'll use wood glue, epoxy elsewhere of course, just doing as Im told.

Bought some 1/8 robart hinges today as it seems as lot of people are using them. We shall see, may have to add mode balsa to the elevators to accommadate the robart hinges though.

Not done anything on it today as I had to get in the garden and get on top of it for the time being.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Race Ace

Hi Keith,

It looks pretty good to me.......... Can't wait to see it at the field !!!
Good luck with it mate, you know where I am if you want any help.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:41 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Kieth,

Have you gone through the TF Spit build thread that Tubig has going? He does nice work and has good advice. Keep the tail as light as possible. You may even consider adding some lightening holes or hollowing out the stab tip blocks. Everyone I've heard from says this kit tends to come out heavy, particularly in the tail.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:28 AM
CHEF-UK

Saramos, I hear what you are saying. If there is one thing I know about htis model is to make the tail area as light as possible.

I was thinking of drilling holes in the stab solid balsa parts to help lighten it as eventually it will be covered so you wont be able to see the holes, anyone see any problems with doing that.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:57 AM
squeeguk

Hi Keith

It depends on how you intend to cover it, I think. The impression I get is that if you glass it, you need to have a full balsa covered surface, if you got holes or exposed ribs, I think you need to use an iron on covering.

I am probably wrong, I'll let the glassing pros answer this one.

Cheers

Luis
Old 05-12-2004, 04:06 PM
CHEF-UK

Ok, well I have done a little more this evening, not a great deal as I have had to spend some time getting the garden ship shape over the last few days.

I have added the elevator ribs tonight on both top parts, let it dry and then sand it down. [:-]

Was thinking about adding some holes on the elevator inside section just to keep the weight down as everyone recommends.

Have to be gentle sanding these down to a wedge shape, I can easily see these breaking off if I get to heavy handed.[:@][:@]

Name:	Ki18675.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	131700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51662.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	131701  
Old 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM
lord lucan

Kieth...

looking good.....the more photo's you can post up the better....it saved me a load of trouble when i made a real balls up on the Cyclone[:-]

You cant rush these quality kits though can you...anyway keep us posted..
oh..O.S # is....72200130...or Tower stock #LXBZ90.. catch ya later..!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 PM
CHEF-UK

Okay well I have done a bit more now I am back from sunny Scotland. I have added the ribs to the elevators and sanded them to shape. I am trying to get hold of a Robart drill jig now for installing the 1/8 robart hinges that I will be using in this model. None of the LHS seem to have any in at the moment.

Name:	Ge95540.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	134723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16932.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	134724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80334.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	134725  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.