Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

dwr shaping and sanding aRE GOOD FUN, WHAT i HATE is sanding back glass, man that is tedious.

glad to see you made the scale shape on the stab, fin and moving bits. Hate the way Tf do that. so easy to create scale yet they cut corners.

What are you putting in yours for grunt? I'm leaning towards G62 though a friend is pushing me to put in a new 58 by some mob in east europe, supposed to be a good engine but i like the zenoahs. built like a brick sh$%house [X(]

hehehe

I'm taking the 51 out this sat weather permitting, been wet and windy of late so will have to play it by ear. If the weather is nice I will get my wife to video a flight so I can post it. Think RCU has a video section now for that don't they?

cheers
Peter
Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 PM
dwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, I had a G62 on hand left over from a dearly departed Lazer 200. So that made it an easy choice. Can't beat em for reliability, easy starting and reasonable price. I agree about the glass/epoxy sanding. No fun. Some of our club members talked me into getting a small light weight quarter sheet electric orbital sander with 80 grit. I tried it and because of the light weight it is very controlable. Used it on a glass cowl I am scratch building for a Polikarpov PO-2 which has a lot of curved surface and had no problems. Made a much easier job of it. I have not
done a lot of epoxy finishing, an OV-10 Bronco was my first one but what a pain all the sanding was. Should be much easier on the Jug with the sander.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 PM
dwr

Peter, The Polikarpov I'm working on is the PO-2 biplane used by the Russians for training and just about everything else. I'm building a bomber version the all female squadron used on the Russian front to harrass the German troops at night. The Germans nicknamed them the Night Witches.
I already bought the standard gear for the P47. I'm going to try to figure out some way to make workable outer gear doors. Gotta have em.
The Bronco is great fun and everybody at our club loves it. It is from an 81 inch Rich Uravich plan and short kit. There is now also an arf available in the same size. I have liked the Bronco since I saw my first one in late 1968 while
on an all expenses paid trip to Southeast Asia with the USMC. Catch you later. DWR.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

dwr,
mate I wasn't quite old enough to catch that free trip. As I am ex RAAF I spent my time chasing electrons around cct boards after the idiot air defence operators manged to let all the smoke out of em. I tell you getting the smoke back into electroinics is a bugger of a job!

those outer gear doors should be a real problem at all. In fact there is bit of blurb on the TF website on how to do it. Just make them a little more scale in size and you are in business. I all be using the split outer gear doors as well as inner doors with 1 1/2" air rams all controlled by a ultra precision sequencer.

that little PO2 should be nice little project, always wanted a biplane. Might get around to building one of these days.

cheers
Peter
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Peter,

Again----YOUR-- 47's gear seems a nice improvement. Since I did at least use the Springair retracts and the Robart working spring loaded oleos I HAD to incorporate a two piece gear door;simple enough to do but I would like to know what you might use to 'attach' the main doors to the so called Robart scale strut.

Cheers........[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87446.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	292038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81819.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	292039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu28756.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	292040  
Old 07-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gday,
mate that is looking real nice. I'm still deciding in my head the best wayto mount the doors. They will be 2 piece units as per full size. Bottom door is easy enough as I will epoxy on a thickener sextion of balsa to make it look like full size but will have a trough cut out to which the door can be epoxies to the strut fork.

Now the top half of the door is tricky as my robarts dont have that hqandy little tube welded to it likes yours do - so I may make up a small braket and epoxy it on or I may have to get a small tube welded on. To that I will attach ball links so the door can swivel. The hinge point will be done either with robart hinge points or a flat style of hinge.

cheers
Peter
Old 07-03-2005, 09:09 AM
ramcfarland

Thanks Pete,

Keep us posted[8D]
Old 07-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yup

just finished the rear subspar.

will start on the front one later

cheers
Peter
Old 07-04-2005, 08:47 AM
dwr

Hey Peter, happy 4th of July, the day we told off the Brits. We're havin a bunch over and havin a few brews and burnin up some stuff on the B-B-Que, or I guess thats the barby down in Oz right? I checked out the Topflite web site and according to info there Robart reworked the gear and everything fits pretty good now. I did get the newer gear. I'm starting on the wing now so I'll soon be able to see. Have a good day. DWR
Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day DWR,

Happy 4th to you too. We have about 10 mins of it left here LOL. Yeah we are still thrashing the Poms, cricket, footy err don't mention the world cup rugby for a bit [:@]

they actually drew with us in the cricket the other night too. We must be getting soft!

Anyway the poms are always great scapecoats to take the piss out of. hehe

Yeah we have barbies, and not not abloody "shimp" in sight, shrimp pigs bum, we call them prawns. Barbies are for proper oz tucker like snags and half a cows backside thrown on/ Ypu copius amounts of beer and lots of lies told by various circles of individulas who mysteriously form themselves into little clans. A Psych major could write a nice little thesis on that.

Yeah my gear is the new ones too, flat fork which I really dont need now. With my mods the hinge point is now about 1/2 " below the surface of the sheeting so the normal fork would have been better.

anyway started on the from subspar, got all the ribs cut through and the bottom spar is in, will epoxy the play sheeting to the sides of it in the morning once I wade through my work emails and do a couple of reports. Then top spar on and the other ply sheet along the side of the spars is glued in. Add the sheer webbing then a sand of the ribs.

sheet the wing on top then flip it over and start all the mods for the retract mounts. Fiddly work that but the other wing came out great.

Anyway it's now ni nis time.

cheers
PEter

Old 07-04-2005, 01:37 PM
ramcfarland

Gosh Pete-You just made my 4Th.of July as I THOUGHT your flat forks must be scale after all...
Old 07-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey richard,
nyet , non, nada. No such luck. should have sold the robarts and got sierras instead. But then again I'd be still waiting for them!!

cheers
Peter
Old 07-04-2005, 05:30 PM
ramcfarland

Just looked at a 1941 blue print I got off e-bay and the Republic P-47D does show the fork flatten as it radius's the tire and wraps down to the axle what do you think mate..
Old 07-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ahhh I knew I stayed with the robarts for a reason, mate I'm a genie-arse for sure! [X(] umahhhhhh

Old 07-04-2005, 09:57 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ANOTHER !

Yet another, Top Flight P 47 build nearing completion...

Took last weekend, not quite ready, but wanted to run the G 62... couldn't, the air lines blew off the retracts at 100 psi. Oops. More shop time required. At least I finally got to see it put together.

Plane is a rebuild of an abandoned project. Should have just started over with another kit, but I'm stupid and stubborn ! lol

Name:	Tr51610.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	293713  
Old 07-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

that looks really nice, don't be in a hurry to fly it, take your time and if the old belly alarm bell start ringing then listen and leave it on the ground!!

good to see a Duxford scheme on a 47!!

cheers
Peter
Old 07-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Jet builder

Hello

I have a question about the gear for the Gaint Scale P-47 of top flite.
I am going to build this kit, also.

But the question i want to ask. How is the gear from Robart???
Is it strong enough for the weight of the plane???
Or do you guys use a other type of gear, and which (meaby some site-adresses)

greetings Paul

Under this text, the picture of the robart gear, that is designed for the gaint scale P-47 of top flite

Old 07-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Jet builder

The question which i fofgot,

What do you think about the robart gear??? Your opinion please???

greetings Paul
Old 07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
dwr

Hi Paul, Robart has a good reputation here in south Florida, I have used their fixed struts on the Ryan STA and GeeBee. I have beat them up pretty good (just to test them of course) with a few rough landings and they hold up well. I have not used the retracts on the P-47 yet as I have just started the build but they look OK to me. I would like to hear from someone who has used them also in a P-47 that weighs in at around 25 lbsgive or take a couple pounds. DWR.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:19 AM
dwr

IFLY, great looking Jug. What's the weight? Please keep us posted on your shakedown flight. DWR.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:26 AM
dwr

Lets see, Poms and Oz tuckers and footy?? Now where did I put my Aussie/English
dictionary?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Bill Jennings
My Feedback: (85)

G'Day dwr.
Simple mate, Poms are English people, tucker is food and footy is football. Not the game that you play but Rugby or Aussie Rules.
Regards.
Bill.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Pete as always your planes look great .Went to your link that you gave me and viewed the nice Mustang as well as the P47 , the planes look great .
Your flying buddies look like a good bunch that have your back , keep up the good work , I will now get back to my sick addiction to P40ties -lol
Old 07-05-2005, 10:33 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DWR : Haven't got a weight yet.. need to balance first. Hope to fly very soon.

Peter Oz: The Duxford scheme, well, I "Modified" this one a bit with a red cowl ring and some nose art. Kinda like the pic on page 36 of the P 47 In Action book.
Hey, Thats what makes all our planes look different, eh ?

I have enjoyed this thread very much BTW. Like watching how other builders handle construction.

Name:	Hf99553.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	294129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91655.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	294130  
Old 07-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

OZ 101 - condensed course synopsis

we love football (not that aussie rules rubbish), meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars, football meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars chorus

footy is football - rugby league or rugby union! Aussie rules football? HOHOHOHOHOHOHOH

Oz is Australia - pronounced for all you septics as OZ - trail - eee - yaa

and Brisbane is pronounced Bris - bin , not bris - bane

Aluminium is pronounced " alum - in - eeeee - yum not al - oooom - in - ummm lol

poms are the english and are here to be picked on by aussies, thrashed in cricket, rugby(both codes) and all forms of sport - that is their lot in life

tucker is food

snags are sausages

prawns are prawns bloody shrimp my rear end!

streuth - oz slang, means a whole range of things and depnds on how it is used. Could be - honestly, really, etc

Fair dinkum. Honestly, "I'm fair dinkum, he is fair dinkum. I saw a puddy tat, fair dinkum I did " you get the idea

bonzer - great!

ripper - as above

shiela - woman

bloke - man

ankle biter - kids

nipper - kid

dead set? - really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.