Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Planker07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Craig

Land like Bob and you won't have a problem. Just stay away from the gap in the trees.

Allan
Old 05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Canuck1

Thanks for the tip Al, but that won't help me right now[:@]

Hows the jet coming along, and yes I am aware of the gap in the trees, it just jumps out and grabs Warbirds
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig,
check your PM mate

cheers
Peter
Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Canuck1

Thanks for the PM Peter.
I am heading out of town for a couple of days, and will be home by the weekend. I will begin the restoration when I return. I dont want to over engineer the mounts, so if it happens again the wing will not be destroyed. But it will not happen again, now I will always be thinking about the gear.

Craig
Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Scotsman

Craig,

Just some thoughts on your gear failure. Are your gear rails plywood or solid hardwood, like maple? from what I can see in the pictures, it looks like the inboard rail may be plywood and the outboard rail looks like it may be solid wood... In any case, solid wood will be less likely to split. My guess of what happened is basically as DWR described, that being, that the inboard rail broke loose first and this overloaded the outboard rail splitting it. The weakness is that the inboard rail has less gluing area compared to the outboard rail which is glued the entire length of the rail. It is a tough installation because you end up removing so much of the inboard rib to accomodate the air cylinder. The fix is going to be challenging because it would be best to fit a new piece of solid wood for each rail. It looks like you have doubled the ribs well, hopefully with aircraft 5-ply birch plywood. I think pining the new rails through perpendicular to the ribs with carbon fiber pins is the best to get the loads from the rails into the ribs. If it is possible to get any portion of a rib over the top of the rails, that will help a lot. I have built the same aircraft and had the same experience that DWR did with the inboard rail busting loose, but thankfully I was lucky enough to have the outboard rail hang on until I noticed it. When I repaired the inboard rail I was able to add a sliver of a rib made out of 1/8" aircraft ply over the top of the rails and I pinned the rails to the doubled up ribs with carbon fiber pins. It has held well since then. I used Hysol epoxy for all of the repairs which is about twice as strong as normal epoxy. Any ideas that you can come up with to get more of the inboard rail glued to the rib is what I think will help the repair the most. I agree it is a great flying airplane and yours looks fantastic!! Best of luck with the reapairs, but your level of craftsmanship is very high and I'm sure the repair will be very well done.
Scot
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Scotsman

Caig,

I took a second look at the pictures of your rails. It looks like one of the mounting screws about lines up with the center of the forward vertical reinforcement you have on the side of the rib. May be a screw about 2 to 2 1/2 times as long as you have to get some load down into that piece will help. Having the screw reach down in there instead of just gluing to the end grain will help..... Just ideas. Did you have an hard landings to stress that inboard rail glue join? I think that join often fails or cracks just due to vibration and that starts the whole failure sequence. That inner rail is the weak link in the design with it having to carry about the same load as the outer rail through much less area, over stressing the glue and once that inner rail is loose, it unzips the whole mounting system.....

Scot
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well I got the walls painted in the workshop and got the benches all back in last night. Now to fit a shelf over the long bench and unpack all the little bits of stuff and find a home for them all. I'll be doing some work on the planes this weekend, might finish off the 90" Sea Fury which only needs a few little things done before it is ready for a test flight.

So very soon I will be back into the P47
Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

need a little stick time too! Have not flown in about 2 months
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

SOunds great mate,

Give me a yell when your going to maiden the sea fury

thanks

Dave
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay pete we need a pic of the up dated shop nice clean walls no basa dust

bob T
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 PM
crashproof

Hey Nelson the P47 looks great ! Look forward to the first time we can fly them together. You may have to throttle back alittle for me to keep up, but it will still be a blast. Kevin.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yeah mate, ticketec sent me a sms wanting same thing. Not very exciting, just nice white walls. Will do one tomorrow night. Just finished setting up the study again.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Canuck1

Peter
Looking forward to seeing your new workshop.
P-47 repairs will begin shortly, and I plan on posting with pictures, and explanations. I have a plan, guess that is the first step. Damage is not as bad as I first thought. Basically some construction errors on my part [:@] Never start a plane, put it away, and come back to it. LOL

Craig.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Craig et al,

still the same old workshop, just painted the walls and it iwll be tidy - for a while anyway. will put up some pegboard too so I can keep tools off the benches and where I can find em!

I can relate to starting a plane then putting it aside till later !!

cheers
Peter
Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

workshop is pretty much set up now, still some fiddly bits to find a home for like dubro packs etc.

As a few asked for pics here they are!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69213.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	950324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62605.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	950325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd94013.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	950326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46491.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	950327  
Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
rt3232

Mate (now youve got me doing it) your shop looks nice and light plenty of lights and with the peg board a nice neet tool rack.

But if you are a bit of a tool junkie like me you will have more than will fit, and that is ok as you will know ware they are. on the bench

Good luck with the new setup[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Bob T
Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well we are finally getting you lot converted! About time you learnt to play cricket and Rugby League now!

Yeah got lots more tools, and have 2 racks on the back side of the wardrobe that you can't see in the pics as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Pete,

The workshop looks great, you'll find that there will be more light in there now, with the white walls.

all we need to see now is a pick of you putting some paint down on a -47 after panel lines and rivets are all been put down!

Thanks

Dave
Old 05-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yeah yeah [8D]

along with all my other chores, we just got the front deck rebuilt courtesy of radio MMM and the Cage crew, Sharon entered a comp with them the other day to win an apprentice for a day so they came out and did the job. Still hav e some small stuff to finish on Monday. Been painting all their new handiwork.

Your right about there being more light, one of the first things I noticed in fact.

cheers
Peter
Old 05-17-2008, 07:00 AM
rt3232

Pete

Man my old bones would not last past the first play in eather of thouse games

Hopeing the weather hold to day may get to squirt the primer on the wing pnl lines.

Catch you later

Bob T
Old 05-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob,
cricket is not that rough, just rough on the shoulders with the bowling and throwing.

Mind you I am way past playing rugby or either code, league or union. Young mans sport that one.

No flying today even though the sun is out and no clouds it is blowing a bloody gale, waaaaay too blustery for flying anything except a full size airliner!

Anyway going to drag the Sea Fury out of the trailer and fit the kill switch. Too windy for priming the P47.[:@]

cheers
Peter
Old 05-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Canuck1

Reconstruction of the langing gear rails is underway. I have cleaned up the inbord rail area. I will secure a maple block to the top. But first using my old plywood rib tree as a guide I will cut out a rib to match and secure to the inboard side, just to give me a larger surface for glueing and pinning.
more to come.............

Craig

Name:	Om32053.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	951334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99567.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	951335  
Old 05-17-2008, 08:19 PM
rt3232

Mate

With my sholders arther-i-tus I would be done after the first throw.

A great day hear but to meany chores to get done, So finished them suckers.

47 up date finaly got the primer on the wing will let it dry a day or two, then I can pull the pnl line tape a light sand and I should be ready for some color, wil be forced to decide leaning to 44-21228 56th FG out of Boxted 1945 UK colors on top natural under surfaces, I think that will make it easey to see.

Bob t

Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Craig,

time you add the rib doubler you should have plenty of surface area for the rail to adhere to though I woulod still add some trangle hardwood stock to give it that little extra - just me and my tendency to over engineer things!

Bob don't talk to me about chores, I still hav e the front deck uprights to paint oil onto - maybe later today [:-]

I can tell you after 3 shoulder reconstructions on the left shoulder is is useless at throwing anything except a beer back! Right is not much better but still not great for bowling, mind you a cricket bowling action is overarm unlike the sideway action of a baseball pitch. A good first class bowler can get around the 100mph mark which is pretty quick and a cricket ball is like hard like a rock so not good to be hit by one!

cheers
Peter
Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Canuck1

Inboard rib doublers are cut, and notched for better adhesion. First pic is the cut rib, pic #2, rib in position, and pic #3 shows what the rib will look like when attached. I still need to rough up the rib already installed. This will provide me with a nice large area for the maple rail, which I intend to pin with carbon fibre as well.

Craig

Name:	Ca82089.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	951451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84253.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	951452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87949.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	951453  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.