Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

cmp p47 thunderbolt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

cmp p47 thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:01 PM
ZapRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cmp p47 thunderbolt

Heck ya can cook an omlet and flapjacks in the morning and BBQ in the afternoon. Fly anywhere in between. Can't get any better than that.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
ZapRC

OK we set the throws to max on the elevator and left the 40% expo. MUCH BETTER. Tony had to dead stick land it in the grass with the gear retracted (fuel pump or whatever) and ever so gently touched down. No damage what so ever.

The extra elevator gave it much more control at slower speeds and Tony was able to use it right before touchdown.

Throw away the manual when setting throws and CG when building CMP warbirds.

I also shimed the retracts forward some to keep it from tipping forward so much.

After some fuel line re-routing she flew a couple more times and LOOKED REAL GOOD ! As the builder I feel much better when they fly well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66214.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	320564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64016.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	320565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67042.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	320566  
Old 09-06-2005, 06:40 PM
BDREW

I love this plane. I am glad to see you are enjoying it as well. I love to do a low pass coming out of a dive. The plane tracks straight.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
BDREW

Here's mine with my Joe's T34
Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 PM
BDREW

Here's mine
Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 PM
BDREW

[img][/img]

Name:	Pn37650.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	323906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99257.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	323907  
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 AM
ZapRC

Those are both nice planes. Looks like a Chip Hyde Vision in the background of the first pic.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Thunderchild

Hi ZapRC

I am currently assembling the large 71 inch CMPRO P47 and have been monitoring all the C of G problems you guys have been wrestling with. Just to clear things up for me, the photos of the P47 with flaps you built Zap - this IS the large version P47 isn't it?

I have it in my head to shoehorn in a Saito 170 R3 radial. I figure to beat the C of G with engine weight!! This will unfortunately necessitate some surgery to the cowl to let the two lower cylinders poke out in the breeze. I am experimenting with paint schemes on the cowl to help disguise this a bit. Gold checkerboard is currently my fancy - or perhaps all yellow like one I googled on the net.

I will post some photos when I get nearer to the launch day.

Safe flying

TC

Old 10-20-2005, 08:21 PM
ZapRC

Sorry for the late response. I just thought I would check the thread for any activity.

The P-47 I built is the 40 size (little guy) with a Saito 72 in it. It flys "scale" at best with a 13x6 prop. The plane needs a 100 or so to go really fast.

the photos of the P47 with flaps you built Zap - this IS the large version P47 isn't it?
The flaps are painted on. Thanks for the compliment.

Name:	Lj23450.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	341740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61510.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	341741  
Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 AM
cyborg1

Hi guys,
I just bought the Jug and it's already assembled, but I still can't figure out which engine to use. I have a TT pro.46 and a TT pro .61 available. After reading through all the posts, I kinda figured that the .61 would be better. Has anyone used a .61? I don't like cutting too much out of the cowl, as it really ruins the scale lines, but I guess it can't be helped...anyways, any comments would be greatly appreciated. I really hope I made the right choice of planes, as it was either the jug or the mossie from cmp...eeeep!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:51 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, definitly put the 60 on it
Old 12-02-2005, 04:09 PM
lthibault

Hello,

One question: Are spare parts available from them?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:42 PM
lthibault

Forget the question.

After reading this thread I cancelled my order [&o] - sounds too much for me considering my schedule....

Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone want to buy the 71" version of this plane? Flies great, I was using an ASP 120 on mine, had to shim the retracts forward or it noses over, CG worked out like the book said to. I have gone to IMAA size planes. The only small planes that I am keeping in the hanger are .40 throw in the air on a lazy day types.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 AM
cyborg1

well, for those of you still watching this forum, I put a TT .61 engine into the plane. After checking the CG (finger balance method), I thought that it was just right at the 95 mm recommended with the battery pack in the front under the fuel tank. The first flight was a disaster....it took off and pitched up immediately. I pushed the elevator stick forward to get her level, then trimmed the aileron to correct a left bank. As soon as I entered into a left turn, she just snapped and fell out of the sky. Turns out that it was still tail heavy. Damage....crushed cowling, fractured fuselage. Anyway, I went back home and rebalanced the bird again. I added 240 grams of lead weight, and the CG was moved forward. Second flight...took off nicely, required 4 clicks of down elevator, and she was tracking nicely with half throttle. I did 4 rounds over the field, then the engine died. I immediately made a left turn to line her up with the runway, but just as i almost had her pointed in the direction of the runway, she snapped right and went in. Damage...split wing, fractured right at the spar until the middle section, crushed trailing edge where the wing screws are located. I am really fed up with this...anyway, I'll try to repair the wing and see if she is still structurally sound enough to make another flight. I asked about a replacement wing from the dealer, but they replied that it would cost about half the price of the arf. I have been flying for 10 years, and I have never had this many problems with an airplane. i'm beginning to think that it was a horrendous waste of money.........
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt put a .61 in, not enough power IMHO, I do think it is snappy in sharp turns. I would still be flying mine if it was IMAA size though, it sure looks good in the air. After all the problems are fixed though, lol.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
jeffk464

Waist of money, thats kind of been my conclusion too. Mine has been sitting untouched in the garage since my last report where I said I got all the bugs worked out. Its just not worth it in my opinion. I dont think it looks very scale, check out the picture below as a comparison.

Name:	Zx70320.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	369529  
Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 AM
nigerianchopper

Hey guys, How do Install the belly pan/centre section? Any support at the front?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
cyborg1

Hi Jason,
The only way to fix the belly pan is to use epoxy. I would recommend that the covering be removed inn order for the epoxy to get a good surface to adhere to. If you don't remove the covering, you will pull the covering off if there's a mishap. There is no support at the front, so attach the wng to the fuz and trim the belly pan accordingly, making sure that you leave enough room for epoxy on the belly pan. Good luck with the pland. Make sure that the cog is correct, don't follow the manual, or you'll be dissapointed on your first flight like I was.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Chickenhawk

Hi Folks - my 40 sized P-47 just arrived this week. It looks pretty good but could use a little more length on the nose to make it more faithful to scale. Overall, I still like what I see with the kit. So - I'm hoping an experienced builder would be willing to answer my questions generally in this area:

1. What's the best option for the engine. It seems that using a .40 is not going to cut it - particularly factoring in the CG. Should I attempt a .90? If so can a .90 be used with a 3 blade prop?

2. I don't like the paint scheme. The paint job seems good; however, I was hoping to have an olive drab, invasion stripes and painted cowl. I have an idea on how to contend with the fuselage -but the wing is just covered - no fiberglass. Here's the newbie question - can the covering on the wing be painted? Am I better off stripping the covering and covering it with a thin fiberglass? If I do this what are people's guesses about the weight impact (and can in be offset with a 2 stroke 90)?

3. Has anyone attempted to set up their ailerons as flaperons on a model this size (or on this one?)?

4. My local field is all grass: I'd like retracts with larger wheels; however, it sounds like I'm better off with fixed gear. I very much would like to avoid fixed. Is there any advice out there?

thanks!

Chicken
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
bmizes
My Feedback: (5)

I plan on putting a OS .46 AX engine with stock muffler in my CMP P-47, but I am having trouble mounting the engine. It seems like no matter how I orient the engine, the muffler won't clear the fuse. For any of you that have used .46 size engines, how have you oriented the engine and muffler to be able to mount it, and did you need to use a muffler extension to get it to work? If anyone has a picture that shows how they did it, that would be great.

Thanks.

Barry
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 PM
virtualvictum

Hey guys, I thought I would help out here. I am presently on my 3rd .40 size p-47 from cmp and can tell you that I lost the first 2 due to improperply balanced model. The cg recommendations are horribly wrong. The model needs to be flown with a 3" cg to start with and you can move it back from there. I have now over 20 flights on my third plane and love it to death. She is a real joy to fly. The model does like to come in a little hot on landings but do not try to fight this or you will tip stall. Flying with a .46 size motor is asking for problems. I fly mine with a GMS .61 and it pulls it along nicely. Plenty of power with a 12x6 and pitts muffler. Hobbico mechanicals on the wing work really nice and smooth. Plenty of give in the wire strut for our grass field. Two small washers under the trailing edge side retract mount help to prevent flips on landing and taxing and they seem to work well. If you would like any pictures on my setup then let me know and I will post. This plane will fly great as long as you remember 2 things. 1) Use a .61 size motor and 2) balance at 3". Enjoy.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
bmizes

I concur with virtualvictim. Dan Savage recalculated the CG for me, and I ended up putting it at 76mm, which is 3 inches. I ended up using a .60 size Supertigre engine too, both for the added power and weight. The plane flies great with the CG in the proper place.

Barry
Old 07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
jeffk464

I definetly agree that you can't get away with a 40 sized engine in this plane. It just does not have the power to fly such a high drag plane around the sky. It also requires a bigger prop than you can put on a 40 size plane, to get around the cowling.

Just out of curiosity what kind of speed are you getting with a .61 on it.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:25 PM
bmizes

Don't know the actual speed with the .60 engine, but it seems to the right scale speed for the size and type of plane.

Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.