Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

A couple more views of the U-5 canopy,note how close the bars are around the flat bullet proof glass .D.B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36683.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	319937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19506.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	319938  
Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 AM
D Bronk

Dion that tank ,drops, for sure ..It`s Called a "Duramold" .THE seam runs verticle and the fuel hook-up is at the back (pipe) @ views and a drawing of the bottom of a "real early" F4U-1 ,,Has the pilot `s window in bottom of fuse that was deleted in production run.Not sure on what BuNo it was elimanated though.I think I`ve got numbers but I have to look, and don`t have time right now..Later will check..

2 view and drawing of bottom..make me a list if you need anything more..DAVE B.

Name:	Fd93456.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	319971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55426.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	319972  
Old 09-05-2005, 10:07 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info Dave, thanks. Then this means that there were 2 types of centerline 175 or 178gal tanks? One with the seam line running vertical, the early tank, and one with the seam line running horizontal, the later tank? As soon as my new lathe motor gets here (burned the other one out) I'll get on these tanks. I want to make all the ordinance for the 1/8 Corsair, 500 and 1000lb bombs, drop tanks and maybe rockets. I need to find an easy way to manufacture rockets and keep them very light. Maybe vacuum-form the rocket body in halves, then make the tip in hollow cast resin with plastic sheet fins? Maybe...

Thanks again for that great picture,

Dion

Old 09-05-2005, 11:01 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Great info Dave, thanks. Then this means that there were 2 types of centerline 175 or 178gal tanks? One with the seam line running vertical, the early tank, and one with the seam line running horizontal, the later tank? As soon as my new lathe motor gets here (burned the other one out) I'll get on these tanks. I want to make all the ordinance for the 1/8 Corsair, 500 and 1000lb bombs, drop tanks and maybe rockets. I need to find an easy way to manufacture rockets and keep them very light. Maybe vacuum-form the rocket body in halves, then make the tip in hollow cast resin with plastic sheet fins? Maybe...

Thanks again for that great picture,

Dion

The early one is what I have posted.IT is what you want to make for the early F4U`s got a pic on flight deck of HMS VICTORIOUS .THESE are CORSAIR 2s (F4U-2) but basically the same(clipped Tips) as U-1`s.It`s as clear ,as I could make it for you.. VERTICLE early .Horizontal Later .Both have different shapes ,I`ll get that for you too..I GOT to stop now.I`ld, vacum form everything you could..A touch of lead,epoxied in the tip so they fall nice. Make it all in HALVES leave a lip all the way around the tank halves ta mimic the rib, COULD even form the Filler cap, and CA the halves together..USE a piece of sheet balsa on the in -side of the Vac. formed fins.It would give them a bit of "back bone" too. If you make them right you`ll only have to glue on two fins per Bomb/rocket.. DO tHE SHEET FORM LIKE TOP FLITE WITH their cockpits ..I`ll buy from you too .The later style tank though. YOU CAN SEND IT with the rest of my order I`ll get it together this evening, Might even have the statistics that were painted on these things.. D.B...

Name:	Tr50350.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	319999  
Old 09-05-2005, 07:45 PM
D Bronk

CJ check bra straps on the dream girl you got to do some research and see if she`s supposed to have 1 STRAP or 2 straps.It`s looking like she`s taking it off.I`ll see what you`ve come up with after..
Old 09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
D Bronk

I`ve found ,A lot of different MARINES-dream girls ,AND I need a pic showing the original art,,,want to get it right. Anyone got a reasonably clear pic of the WWII plane ???

DION here`s what I`m thinking on the drop tank..Make the 2 halves in vac .form,you don`t even have to form the fuel cap or fuel line.The cap could be a seperate part on the sheet and the line could be an aluminum tube epoxied in after the halves are joined..A piece of sheet balsa(1/32"-1/16"?) could be put in-between the two halves(traced ,cut,and sanded to shape).The up-rights could be formed or ,be seperate parts,again, formed on the same sheet. Same thing here, sheet balsa sandwiched,between the 2 halves and then attached to the tank..We had an electric storm here last night, so I couldn`t use the computer much .I`ve got an appointment this afternoon so I won`t be around for a few hours.Have you come to a decision, on the u-5 canopy??.I want to p.m. you later ..I`ve got a propositon for you. DAVE B. P.S give me exact scale and I`ll make a 3 view like this ,and it will be the correct size to the model,you`ll be able to print it and have a paper pattern,to measure off of..Then the old eyeball can take over

Name:	Zx72334.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	320521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88759.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	320522  
Old 09-06-2005, 06:10 PM
D Bronk

A new kind of drop tank ( shown being drained). Stormier than I thought,last night...D.B.

Name:	Lj24225.jpg
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	320602  
Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 AM
D Bronk

CJ notice the diffrences..NEED to FIGURE out the real one.. LETTERING,colors ,SHOES.almost like the artists are taking libertys and doing whatever they guess is right

DION .. did you see my post earlier with drawings??? D.B.

Name:	Tr49027.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	320821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42950.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	320823  
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 AM
dionysusbacchus

Yes, I've been following along. Great picture of the tank, I'll use that to make my mold. You gave me some good ideas on the rockets and things, I'll see what I can come up with. Got to be as light as possible and easy to make.

On the Marines Dream nose art, I'd like to know where the picture is of the original aircraft that documents it! Gots to be one!
...now back to my clay...

Dion
Old 09-07-2005, 07:43 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Yes, I've been following along. Great picture of the tank, I'll use that to make my mold. You gave me some good ideas on the rockets and things, I'll see what I can come up with. Got to be as light as possible and easy to make.

On the Marines Dream nose art, I'd like to know where the picture is of the original aircraft that documents it! Gots to be one!
...now back to my clay...

Dion
AS far as that picture, all I`m finding is the one I posted earlier,WHERE the plane is WRECKED.It`s used in a lot of books!!! THE pilot made "ace" in that plane, and I find a lot of times,that when they get in to, that "CLUB", their picture is taken ,with the pilot standing, by the nose art,of the plane, they made ace with.SO ,where is it, ..Possibley in a private collection, or worse,LOST [].C.J..Where are you.?? Put your TX down, and do THIS research

DION .I still want to drop you a line.I`m just not in a typing "mood" yet this morn.I`ve a meeting, to go to, again today, and I`ll write you ,when I get back,before, I get lost , doing something else..."now back to my clay" does that mean what I hope IT means??? I`ve come in to some "KILLER" nose art... Real,attention GRABBERS(show stoppers).PROBLEM is takes time "prepping" it all for the thread here.Oh well,if I can get 1 thing ,put in here a DAY, I`m doing good.It eats up a LOT of time. WHEN you get your lathe motor(engine ,or ,wood ?).You`ll be able to knock all these ordanince plugs off in NO TIME at all..D.B.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: D Bronk
CJ notice the diffrences..NEED to FIGURE out the real one.. LETTERING,colors ,SHOES.almost like the artists are taking libertys and doing whatever they guess is right
D.B.
I don't know if you are aware of it: there is a recently restored (within past few years) full scale F4U-1D (or is an FG-1D?) which has been painted in a Marine's Dream scheme. It is however painted in tri-color scheme, with red-outlined national markings, and the nose art has the lady wearing red as in your 1st picture. I have never seen any evidence that an identical aircraft was ever in existence during WW II. It COULD have been a replacement for the totaled F4U-1, but I have looked and never found any evidence that it existed.

Name:	Us54366.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	320879  
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
D Bronk

It` s an FG, but it`s not correct to the original, at all. I think It`s their "impression" of the original.I`ll be back later got to go now..D.B.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: D Bronk
It` s an FG, but it`s not correct to the original, at all. I think It`s their "impression" of the original.I`ll be back later got to go now..D.B.
Just curious: how can you tell the difference between and F4U-1D and an FG-1D? I thought they were identical, just made at different plants and by different companies (Vought & Goodyear).

Anyway, I have noticed that MANY restored full scales are not accurate copies of their WW II counterparts. Me thinks, especially in this case, the owner/ builder wanted a really good looking Corsair, and not necessarily the most accurate paint scheme. In this case, we have a -1D with the red-outlined national emblem: I think such an aircraft may have been non-existant. By the time -1Ds were being produced, the Navy (and Marines) had switched to the all over glossy sea blue scheme, but there were a few tri-color examples. But to find one in 1943 markings? I don't think so. And this would not be the only example of a full scale Corsair owner 'personalizing' his warbird, rather than making it as accurate as possible that I know of.

Another example is the FG-1D that is owned by the Kalamazoo Air Zoo: it is pretty well documented that WW II era Corsairs which were finished in over-all glossy sea blue did have the insignia blue outline on the national markings (which was dropped soon after the war). The Air Zoo Corsair does not have the outlines, despite picures which I have found of the very aircraft they were attempting to duplicate HAVING those outlines.

Sometimes it is just a mistake, and/ or mis-information. Other times it is just personalizing, but the bottom line is: don't count on restored full scales as being accurate representations of actual aircraft of the war eras.

Name:	Sp45135.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	320887  
Old 09-07-2005, 12:14 PM
D Bronk

I Know it`s a FG only because this http://www.marinesdream.com/history.html .YOU are right about visually looking at and telling which plant built the plane .YA can`t..I`ve noticed that most of the owners that have these restored planes just do their own thing, when it comes to refinish..BUT that restored plane would not be my choice to copy, because .NOT bird caged canopy,and the paint scheme is not correct for the era ,of the original ,and also the sealant in front of the wind screen is WRONG.direction wise..DON`t get me wrong IT`s a beauty,but it`s the wrong series of corsair to go with the name MARINES DREAM.I JUST WANT to get you the most accurate Girl, for what your intending to do.CORECT me if I`m wrong your going to duplicate an F4U-1. I`m finding the art ,with and with out shoes.1 strap and 2. showing 2 arms and 1 arm.There seems to be as many,different,Dream girls,as books.The 1 photo I have is,it apears she is wearing LIGHT colored clothing.It`s TOO light of a color(shade), to be red .SO my oppinion is that rules out any art ,showing her, wearing red. D.B

Name:	Tr49513.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	320940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99325.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	320941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45210.jpg
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	320942  
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
CorsairJock

Yes, my intention is to build a replica of the WW II era F4U-1/ birdcage canopy Marine's Dream, and with as accurate paint scheme as possible. Don't fret too much tho on details which may be impossible to determine. I'm not going to loose any sleep if I find out the nose art was slightly off, due to there being too many to choose from and no-one knowing which is the correct one. I do think it's safe to rule out red clothes: by far, most accounts are of them being white.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
D Bronk

Okay C.J.If you blow up those black and whites you can barely make out her general outline. That art I put up before, seems to be the closest I`ve come across ,to date.AND your right, unless there is a better photo, you can argue about one artist interpretation over anothers, all day without conclusion.I`m going to post you a corner of her head and let me know what you think D.B. give me a minute.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
D Bronk

C.J. let me know if you like her face like that or prefer the face, more the other way..The body will be very similar ,but sharper(less fuzzy).I think as far as decals go you`ll see more detail in the eyes, and lips, but whatever you prefer..I`ve got some wings to build so I`m not going to be able to do much here for a while..D.B. I`ll keep picking at it when I can..

Name:	Vq52608.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	320983  
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
dionysusbacchus

I did a quick touch up of the Marines Dream, took creative liberty and made her a redhead! lol

Dion

Name:	Mj24714.jpg
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	321175  
Old 09-07-2005, 11:39 PM
D Bronk

COOL...I see you gave her a bit of a face lift too(new head),and she`s cute . Should have called the thread NIP,TUCK.(like the show)NO Drama,NO PAIN.part2

I picked up a 1/32 scale plastic model to give me a 3D of the F4U-5 cowl, etc.this one is super detailed .Awsome,for ordanances and various other little details. really gives a person an "in your face" view.A little spendy for a kit,but is worth the money It`s NOSE ART Is "ANNIE MO".I`ll put that in here too when I get a chance..Haven`t Finished it up yet.BUT it`s a deadly looking machine ,when It`s fully armed.,.Would make me duck in the nearest cave,to hide, if I saw it coming..

Name:	Ig12699.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	321230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26301.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	321231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19450.jpg
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	321232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	321233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33360.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	321234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59534.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	321235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce70964.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	321236  
Old 09-07-2005, 11:46 PM
CorsairJock

Uh, yeh. Even before I saw Lukes, I didn't like the looks of either, especially the 1st one. Doesn't look like MY idea of a dream girl, but then again, I wasn't stranded on a island in the Pacific with a bunch of other men.

So, I like Lukes better, but I do think she should have blond hair.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:16 AM
D Bronk

Okay, no harm, no foul...I`ll,try something a little different for here in ART SCHOOL..D.B.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
D Bronk

What I`ve ,got at this point.

Name:	Zx71764.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	321267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57839.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	321268  
Old 09-08-2005, 05:13 AM
dionysusbacchus

OK, I fixed her, man you can't do anything creative! Got the bleach out and toned down the color in her face.

Name:	Mk27227.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	321334  
Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
CorsairJock

OK, since we cannot determine what is accurate and what is not, I would want to go with what looks best/ sexy. I prefer the ones where she is looking towards the viewer, with a little smile, rather than the poker face/ 'why am I doing this'? look. But then again, maybe those Marines had other ideas.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:57 AM
D Bronk

YEAH,DION... EVERYONES AN "ART CRITIQUE" these days, and no one`s an "ART TEEST" SHEESHHH!!........I never said I was an ANDY WARHAUL,did you??..LOL..I got a couple " heads " YOU should TRY and paste on that body DION ..YOU never Know "MARINES DREAM " could have very well been based on this person...I was thinking about it and this woman was alive then.I don`t have a program to do "head translants"otherwise I`d do it.In the mean time, I`ll leave you to take a few quesses.GIVE ME 15 mins.to dig em up..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.