Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

I first had a zdz40 which I was going to use. We tried for an hour to figure out a good way to make it work with a muffler and mounts etc. and still fit the cowl. Finally scrapped the plan and went with the BME44 which just sort of dropped right in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71299.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	568131  
Old 11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have an Evolution 35 on theirs and how do you think it will fly? Had a G-26 on my 1st one and it snapped on take-off, TOTALLED!!!!

R/C Foolish
Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lownloud ". . . . .This aircraft stalls straight over the nose without dipping a wing. . . . . "
lownloud,
It is a sweet flying aircraft and landings are a thing of beauty. When I first started flying mine in July, everybody at the field would stop and watch. Now, they stop and watch only the landings. The flaps are real effective.
But I disagree with what you wrote about the plane not dipping a wing when it stalls. Get it too slow and it will snap in a heartbeat. I learned that the hard - and expensive - way when I got too slow on final. And when it stalls, you best hope you have lots of altitude because it won't recover quickly.

Mike

Old 11-28-2006, 09:03 PM
lownloud

wow, yeah, I didnt do the stall tests close to the ground but it did stall straight over the nose after putting it in a 30 degree or so powerless climb until stall point. I will take your word for it though, I dont really plan on stalling it again.

landings. I'd say its the best part of flying this plane. Once you put the flaps down, you might as well go get a cigarette or a drink or something cause it aint coming in fast.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have just started assembling one of these with a friend. We have the US41 installed on firewall. Did not have to shorten the engine box. Just removed the engine mount bell, and used a mounting plate like the G38, 62 type. Had to add 3/4" hardwood behind the mount to bring it out to 5 1/2 " as recomended. Then cut lower box out to accommidate the rear muffler. Will box in the back side of the firewall with 1/8" ply to seal the firewall behind the muffler to keep heat from intering the fuse. Then started mounting the wing control surfaces. Was supprised to find such large gaps between the flap and inboard aileron root. Also large gap between the flap and wing trailing edge with flap aligned with aileron. Also one aileron was to (right) thick at tip to match the airfoil of the wing. If top aligned with top of wing, 3/16" over hang at bottom. Also bevel of both ailerons were not centered causing the ailerons not to center on trailing edge of wing. Had to adjust slots for hinges. These things should not be in a ARF of this cost. Worst I have see as of yet. I asume that all of them have these flaws, but still fly well. Any comments please? If anyone would like to see photos of engine install let me know.
Gary Webb
Old 11-29-2006, 12:46 PM
thevirginian

Hey colin,
I mentioned it many postings earlier: The best (and cheaper) solution to replace the 791 retract servos are the Hitec 75BB. They are not as powerful as the 791 but strong enough to handle those retracts with ease. Slight attaptation on the mounting is required, though.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:42 AM
ColinM

Riotgear, I had to do the same to mine to fit the Z38. I can understand your nervousness at butchering such a beautiful beast but it's dead easy. Must admit I spent quite some time "measuring twice and cutting once" before doing it.

Mark all round the firewall the amount you need to cut off, in my case it was 1.25 inches. Draw a pencil line all the way around the box then cut to the line with a fine razor saw. The bit that comes off, the firewall, is held to the now cut off side pieces by glue and an aluminium angle section. Undo the screws on the old side pices, break out the scrap and clean up the old glue. Then reposition on the now shortened engine box, re-drill the angle bracket mounting holes and apply liberal amounts of 30min epoxy and the jobs done.

And TV thanks for the recommendation of the Hitec 75's.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:03 PM
keary
My Feedback: (10)

I had the Mvvs 35- the first few flights where exceptional- scale take off was not needed- good power all around and the motor had not started to break in- used a zinger 18X 6-10, had a little problem (dead stick ,pancaked on a hilly corn field with the
gear still down) anyway afterwards the plane probably gained some weight-close to 19.5 to 20lbs total I guess- anyway the extra weight made the take off become a totally scale issue(which I was not ready for- tail came up- about 75' on mains- eased back on elevator plane got 15' off the ground- couldn't get any airspeed-plop- pancaked- very minor damage- but decided to strength plane-pin hinges ect and going to put a rcign g62 on this sucker-oh the the dead stick was a dumb thumb problem where I hit the choke switch instead of the retract- all chokes are now on the button on my 9303!!
I would definiately choose this or the evolution twin to it- for the plane that is within normal expected weight-if the weight climbs into the 19lb and up(due to repair) then keep in mind that take-offs become a scale issue

Keary
Old 12-02-2006, 03:21 PM
R/C Foolish

Thanks Keary,

This is what I suspected as my 1st one had a G-26 in it and with not enough air speed I snapped it on take-off and destroyed it. I had to have another just to prove to myself that I can fly this plane. Anyway, I got a great deal on E-Bay for #2 and I have the Evolution 35 sitting on the shelf. This is going to be a Christmas present to me so it probably won't fly until spring unless we have a warm winter here in New England. Thanks for the reply,

R/C Foolish
Old 12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
thevirginian

Hey, R/C Foolish;
It's not so much the motor that makes it snapp on take off. I had the same happened to mine. A crosswind pushed mine toward a fence next to the runway while it had just lifted off. I corrected with rudder and ailerons and "SNAPP" she cartwheeeld over the inside wingtip. Snapped the wingtube in two, cracked the tail section and busted the motor box. My Mejzlik 18x8 was still intakt, though. My G-38 suffered a bent crank. My G-38 is strong enough and flies it with ease. It's the slow airspeed on take off that's close to the stall speed I guess. Mine was no total, thank God.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
R/C Foolish

Well, I really want this bird in my fleet, so I will try again. I figure a little more power and keep her light as possible.

R/C Foolish
Old 12-02-2006, 06:08 PM
mirwin

I have an issue with one of the main landing gear on my H9 P-47, and I hope you can help me out.

This plane has about 20 successful flights on it. I'm using the recommended JR 791 servos with aluminum servo arms and heavy duty ball links. The servo is connected via a reversing Y-connector to a Futaba receiver. I'm using a gas engine and the throttle linkage is well isolated from the inside of the fuse. The receiver is mounted over the aluminum wing spar, well away from the NimH battery. It's a great flying plane.

The retracts have always been bullet - proof; no problems at all. In fact, I still don't have any problems with them on take-offs and landings. However, three times now the right gear has collapsed while taxiing back to the pitts. It doesn't do it every time; just every once and awhile. After the gear collapses and before I shut off the reciever, I can lift the wing and the gear will go back down and lock without my touching the transmitter.

I've pulled the assembly out of the wing, and studied it and cycled it several times, trying to figure out what's wrong with it. But it locks in the down position every time - at least, when it's on the bench and the wing is upside down.

I thought it might have been side force during a turn while taxiing, but last weekend it did it while taxiing in a straight line.

Any ideas? This is my first plane with retracts so I don't have much experience with them.

Mike

Old 12-02-2006, 08:37 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

When I first test flew my P47, I noticed that one of my Flap servos was vibrating a bit. After a while, I realized that it was always the same Flap. I have a Fuji32EI. It only happened when the engine was running. I got rid of the Expert Reversing Y harness and switched to a JR Matchbox.

I do not now if the problems are related. Some thought that the Reversing Y electronics were picking up RF noise.;
Old 12-02-2006, 09:02 PM
drksyd

Try using a toroid. I've read that ignitions can cause interference with longer leads/servo extensions.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 PM
go vertical

if you got a gittery servo it could be unlocking the retract I use ferite rings from JR stops the servoes from gittering espicaly with igin. engines
Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 PM
mirwin

Never did trust Y harnesses so that was kind of in the back of my mind. I even bought another one to see if that solves the problem.

I hadn't thought of ferite rings but they're cheaper than a matchbox.

Thanks much,
Mike
Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
BuschBarber

I have been told to try the Ferrite Rings but I have not bought any, yet. I have a 3W60, RCS180, G38, and ZDSZ50. The Fuji 32EI is the first one that has given me RF problems.

Before installing the Matchbox, I tried new Flap servos and a new Expert Reversing Y harness. That did not cure the problem, in fact, the Flap started defelcting more than before. Although the Matchbox stopped the Flap from glitching, I then noticed minor glitching on other control surfaces.

I moved the PCM receiver to the bottom of the fuse and neatly tied up all the wires. I ran the receiver antenna directly up to the Antenna Mast. behind the Canopy, and directly back to the Vertical Fin.

I have not had a problem since then.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
mirwin

Thanks, BuschBarber. You gave some good ideas.

I like the antenna out of sight but there IS a lot of metal running inside that fuse. I'll seriously consider running it the way you did yours.

The flaps are independent of each other, on channels 6 & 7, so I don't have any problems with them. The alerons and the elevators are on Y-harnesses and they behave themselves pretty well. It seems that the only time I have problems with Y-harnesses are when it's a reversing Y-harness. Hate those things. I need more channels!

I already have the receiver pretty well isolated and the wires neat and separated. Seems it would be foolish to get cheap about a matchbox when I have so much $$$ tied up in this plane. I gess I'll bite the bullet, and get one for the retracts.

Mike
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 AM
BuschBarber

I am using a JR 9303 transmitter and a JR 649s receiver. I am using Ch2 and 7 for Ailerons, Ch3 and 8 for Elevator, Ch5 and 9 for Retracts, Ch1 for Throttle, Ch6 for Flaps, and Ch4 for Rudder. I put the Retracts on separate channels so I could have each gear go up and down at a separate speed. After I moved the receiver and rerouted the antenna, I did not retry the Reversing Y, on the Flaps, to see if the problem returned.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
pepatrick

My setup...for the H9-P47

Engine - Evolution 35 GT with the Evolution Black Muffler. (You have to cut the firewall, but much better performance than the side mounted pitts.
Prop - Xoar 19 x 8 - pulls with lots of authority.....WAR POWER
Servos - DS821 on all surfaces except 2 DS811s on flaps
Reciever - JR 950
Transmitter - JR 10x
Gear - Shindin Machine struts...nearly indestructable
Old 12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
jbarnes

Get one of these new Spectrum radios and kiss your gliches goodbye. No more RF noise and much faster response times. I'm sold on them. Putting them in all my gas planes including my new P47 with the Fugi 43cc. No need for match boxes either. Channel sync is performed dynamically so you have mixed channels right next to each other as far as signals go, all figured out by the software in the transmitter and receiver.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 PM
BuschBarber

I have looked at the DFX7, however, I need 9 channels on many of my planes. If you are not using a Matchbox, how are your dealing with reversing a servo, for Flaps, as an example?
Does the DX7 system match multiple servos on a channel so they do not fight each other?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:35 PM
BuschBarber

I also installed the Shindin struts. The gear door hardware appears to place the gear doors slightly below the wing and not flush with the wing. Did you install that hardware?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

If you are not using a Matchbox, how are your dealing with reversing a servo, for Flaps, as an example?

I don't know if the DX-7 will do this, but if you use hitec servos, you can use their programmer to reverese them.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
jbarnes

Sorry, made an assumption that everyone uses hitec reversers. You can mix channels but like you said if you need 9 and you only have 7 you either reverse using hitec or use servo reverser. But, the DX7 does not do sequential channel processing. If you have mixed channel 1 and 7 the software places 1 and 7 next to each other during the processing of the signal such that the latency between 1 and 7 is basically zero given that the 2.4 gig processing speed is so much faster. In my standard Futable when you mix 1 and 7, channels 2-6 get processed before 7 gets signaled. You can visually see this when operating two elevator halfs. I installed the DX7 and you can't see any difference at all. In the P47 where you need 10 servos you'll Y cable 3 functions (airleons, flaps and retracts).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.