Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Sorry about your loss Scalebirdman, last year a friend of mine lost his Byron P-51 Mustang with reduction drive the same way on the maiden--reversed ailerons! With these things I guess you can never double check enough.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

well Robert that sucks bigtime. I know how you feel, at least it wasnt an
orange fence

sorry to see this buddy, I was surely looking for a great flight report.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 PM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, Todster, I was looking forward to giving you a flight report.... I can say it tracked beautifuly down the runway, and just lifted sweetly off....

BTW if you are interested in one of these ARF's I know where you can pick up one dirt cheap, and only has one flight on it
Old 10-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Ichy

Sorry to hear of your loss Robert. Hope the engine and belt drive is OK. I was in your neck of the woods today! Wanted to email you to see if we could meet but we did not have time this trip. Long drive back!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
scalebirdman

Ichy,

On first inspection it looks like just the airframe and a set of propeller blades are the write-offs. Retracts, Engine/reduction drive and radio gear are ok, less 1 aileron servo that is MIA. Will be ordering new Zero soon. (glutton for punishment)
Old 10-30-2006, 12:59 AM
lownloud

sorry about your loss

where are the corsairs?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH! That hurts big time. Sorry to see this Robert.
Edwin
Old 10-30-2006, 11:34 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Robert,Sorry to see things did not go well,glad to hear you will get another one together.Man she looks sweet in the pictures with that monster prop.No good luck with the next one-Break a leg is what I should of said.Well you just reminded us all how important all the preflight checks are.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
scalebirdman

Ordered a replacement plane today. [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Ichy

Should go together fast, now that you know how!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Edwin

Robert,
Wonder if JR's new DX7 would have helped! It binds the rec in a plane to the selected model memory on the transmitter. If you have to wrong one selected, it wont transmit. I placed my order today to get on the list. Cant stand it, been waiting for this technology since I first heard about it. I'm willing to take the gamble on a new product.
Edwin
Old 10-31-2006, 11:41 AM
scalebirdman

Yes, I expect the 2nd time around to go much faster, as I don't have to re-invent the wheel when it comes to the changes and mods I have made. In fact I plan to cut out the modified engine mount out of the front half of the crashed fuse and insert it into the new one; should go very fast. Also the rear bulkhead with the tail wheel broke loose in the crash, so I can just re-install it in the new fuse, perhaps a bit more securely this time! A couple of additional changes I will make this time around: 1. install the elevator servos in the servo tray under the cockpit rather than in the stab; should allow a reduction in nose weight of at least 1/2 lb or more, and secondly I'm going to replace the supplied exhaust stacks, which are a nice touch, but large for scale with home made ones from 3/8" copper tubing, and instead of mounting it to the fire wall, I will epoxy them to the inner side of the cowl, which will aleviate much of the clutter on the firewall. I may revisit the hatches I cut in the upper front of the fuse for radio/air and servo access. I wasn't totaly happy with them, but not completely unhappy either. If I go with them again, I'll be sure to allow for the windscreen this time!.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 PM
kevka
My Feedback: (7)

did you cry? I would have. A guy in our club did the same thing on a 101" T6. but it was a scratch build not arf. always sad to see.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

Long story short, The Zero fell victim to reversed ailerons. I'd have bet a month's pay we had set it up right, and checked it several times during the build, and most reciently the last time we took it to the field to range and taxi test it. Naturaly we didn't check them again today.
I'm feeling your pain SBM, I managed to wipe out my TF P-40 for the same reason just last Saturday. I've been flying for nearly 20 years and I can't honestly remember ever losing an airplane to reversed ailerons prior to this one. I spent all day the Friday before setting up the radio and checking everything over and over and I still managed to overlook it on test flight day. I still get mad at myself every time I think about it! Like the old saying goes "there are those that have and those that will". Onward and upward. Better luck with the new one.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to read of your misfortune with your beautiful plane. And I admire your intestinal fortitude in ordering another to build.

Did the video of the fateful maiden flight ever get posted anywhere?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
scalebirdman

No, no video yet; not that enthused about bothering with it. In any case; I'm done with this thread; I have a new thread up on the #2 assembly
Old 12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

Brian; I have recently discovered this big Zero offering from you guys and I am a zero lover. Unfortunately the $ it takes to get into it was large and your competely with KMP's new tigercat. I was wondering if you are lowering the price considering it was offered at 649.00 on black Friday. Another question is how does a ZDZ 80 mount with a rear induction carb. Can the Carb go into the mount box or do you build another out front.

Flytaildragger
Old 12-10-2006, 01:47 AM
busarider29
My Feedback: (4)

I'm feeling your pain SBM, I managed to wipe out my TF P-40 for the same reason just last Saturday. I've been flying for nearly 20 years and I can't honestly remember ever losing an airplane to reversed ailerons prior to this one.
I learned my lesson with that this past summer. I was flying my Alpha Models electric Corsair and right after launch, it immediatly rolled over inverted and it took me a second or two to realize what was going on. My radio had another aircraft loaded (My Yak 54) and I forgot to change it back to the Corsair prior to going out to the field, not to mention forgetting to check control surface deflection before flying the Corsair.
I had all three controls (aileron, elevator, rudder) reversed. Amazingly, I was able to fly a complete circuit and get the plane back to me and land in one piece. I tell ya, it took just about all of my brain power to do it.
Now, I check control surface deflection EVERY TIME I fly, regardless if I just flew it five minutes ago.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
azad

guys. I enjoy reading your post. I have a question. I do not build my planes, i have someone who build it for me. i am going to order one these zero. please tell me how much would it worth to pay pro to put one of these plane together? or what would be the the fair amount of time? Thanks for your respond
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
scalebirdman

Well I'm no pro, but it is an investment in time to get this bird into the air... Nothing overly difficult, but it does take some time, and I wouldn't bother with it for someone else for less than 3-400 myself.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
azad

Okay. I bought one Zero today. should arrive end of next week. ordered the robart from Ziroli with all extras. can someone tell me what size of air tank i should use for retracts. I ordered the big size from 157vrx robart kit. hope is a right size, also ordered a 5" wheel aluminum duralast. so far $1500 with no motor and electronics.Are we all just crazy to spend all this money or is just me thinking this way. How could one ever justify the ROI? Hope IT worth IT I am just been realistic. should be starting this project another month or so>
Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
scalebirdman

The large air tank is the one you want. It will fit in the top of the fuse behind the cockpit; there are a pair of ply formers there where the tank fits between. Just silicone in.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Edwin

A guy in our club is assembling one of these too. He went with Sierra for gear and wheels. Said it came out to about $675. When he compared the gear to robart it was only a couple of hundred more.

Scalebirdman, Tim knows this guy it. Its Gary from where ya'll used to work. Flys at ARCA now too.
Edwin
Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 AM
scalebirdman

If I didn't already have the Robarts from the first plane, I'd have gone with Sierra in a heartbeat. Edwin, hope you can make it up here in June.

BTW, picked up a new plane hauler hauler last week:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58130.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	634594  
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Edwin

Your planes are getting a little bit bigger arent they! <g>
Edwin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.