Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP 160 sized Texan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP 160 sized Texan

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP 160 sized Texan

I went to a recent air show for full sz warbirds and found a plane I love. I guess there are no real ones in existance. Talking to the Pilot he explained they took a AT-6 Texan and modified it to look like the real one. It's a Japaneese "VAL" It will be a lot of work moving the Elevator and adding some trim and putting fixed landing gear, but I think it will be worth the effort to have a plane no one has... What do you guys think? I think I will take one of these ARFS and try to modify it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66392.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	738587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86365.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	738588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35187.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	738589  
Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 PM
aussie jason

Location: Gold CoastQueensland (Gold Coast Australia), AUSTRALIA

Alan,
How are things down in NZ? I am planing on coming over for work in the next coulpe of months. I am also looking at starting the AT-6 soon and planing on painting it in this sceme with these decals, what do you think?

Cheers
Jason Meli
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67640.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	739005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18429.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	739006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53334.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	739008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41474.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	739009  
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Jason,

That`s a very nice colour scheme - good and clean and not too busy. I`ve down loaded your P & W logo too!

Where are you going to based over here? My wife and I will be back in Oz for three weeks as of the end of this month. We`ll be at Capalaba for a few days and then heading north. Our last trip back in February was a shambles - we had to return home after just 3 days and so wasn`t able to get in touch.

I still have your phone number and will try and give you a call.... PM me if you like.

Cheers,

Alan W

Old 08-12-2007, 12:16 AM
AlphaWhisky

It rained and blew all day and so no flying for us today. I pulled all the components out of the box for the first time and must say I am impressed with the quality of the various bits. Also spent some time eyeballing the chinese comic/instruction sheet.

One or two queries sprang to mind as I went through this.

There has been some varying comment re sidethrust and downthrust in th this thread. It seems to me that the G-26 is a neat fit to the firewall as is and adding anywithout adding down and sidethrust will combine to drag it forward a little. I hope that won`t be a problem?

It all looks to be a fairly straighforward assembly job. I`d be interested to learn approx how many hours some of you guys spent on these from opening the box until having it ready for that first test flight?

I`d also be interested to learn what Futaba or Hi-tec servos you may have used on the various controls.

I`m not too fussed about the split pushrod for the elevators. Has anyone used a pair of servos mounted on the fuselage sides under the stabiliser to do this job. Would the extra weight there be a problem bearing in mind I`m installing a G-26?

I already have the Eurokit retracts for this. Is there any advantage in mounting the airtank and gear on or in the wing so that the only rigging connection at daily assembly is to plug in the servo?

Has anyone considered installing a smoke system on one of these?

Just curious,

Alan W
Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 AM
AlphaWhisky

As an afterthought to post 229 above, how many of you guys have assembled this model with removable outer wing panels as opposed to a one-piece wing? Storage and transport is marginal for me, but is the hassle of a 3-piece wing really worth it...?

Alan W
Old 08-12-2007, 08:03 AM
RCPILOT78

Alpha... deffinetly go with plug in wings I did am glad...servoes mounted back there will make it more tail heavy ..I had to add 8oz to the nose ..g26 is great just right thrust no down thrust...plane flies great...also did add flaps
Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
JohnC42

Hey everyone,

I am planning on building this plane and will be putting a 26cc gas engine in it. Still not decided on the retracts although it will probably be the Eurokit as the cheapest I can get the robarts without ordering in from the US is €450!!!!!!

Does any have any videos of their at6 flying or does anyone know of any videos on the internet. Ive looked but can't find a single one.

RCPilot78, could you post some pics of your flap assembly (and the rest of your model aswell) as I plan on making this mod.
I also plan on putting in a full cockpit, sliding canopy, nag lights and a servo operated pilot (well his head at least). I may also have the canopy open when the retracts come down, although it maybe a bit tricky..... I will of course weather it a bit aswell, bit too shiny as it is I think. Anymore pics that anyone has of there at6s would would be great.

John
Old 10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I,m glad to see this thread active again. Its just about time for me to pull my AT6 from the back corner of my work shop and get going on it again. I,ve got the
Robart retracts [ expensive, scale appearance] and a G26 which seems that it has the correct spacing already in its stock form to get a good looking cowl to spinner gap.
I,ll post pics as I go along.

thx Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Hey AlphaWhiskey!

Started that AT-6 yet? I have one and am at that stage of gathering all the info on this thread and have decided to go for the EuroKit retracts over the Century Jet retracts.

Seems I remember someone said they ordered EuroKit retracts and when they checked thier ccard it cost like $360 or was that $380? Huum can remember! Century Jet wants $400+ They said they have to make the 45 degree insert to make them work. Price also included thier delux air valve and air kit but no wheels.

I was working the flight line at the B-17 meet at Bomber Field in Sept. A fellow there was flying a CMP AT-6 with the G26 and it looked a little over powered. The g26 will be a great motor if you want to have some reno races or pylon racing. Thanks everyone for the great info! Doug
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
RCPILOT78

JOHNC42..I will post some pics of my flap mod...by the way it works well have approx 25 fligthts on the t-6 so far..the g26 is working fine... the eurokit retracts are good but require a lot of maintenance..too many set screws to keep them stable keep comming loose..I will say that you must keep this bird light..with the flap mod and the g26 it gets a bit heavy still flies great but at 17 lbs and thats what it weighs it is bordering on a lead sled..I just converted to futaba 2.4 ghz and it is fantastic.. I will probably post the pics next week I have several other projects on the burner...by the way I find the flaps to be very effective I use them everytime I land they keep the plane stable all the way to touch down....RCPILOT78
Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 AM
gesada

I was at the AK-Models web sight and clicked on the silver CMP Texan and noticed that it says that retracts are now available from Sierra Giant. There is also a picture of them.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 AM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Doug,

I`ve been quietly working away at mine with plenty of distractions and downtime. Mine is an unpainted one and right now I`m nearing completion of the gear installation etc. I`ll then pull it all out and get on with the painting - might be looking a a start there in about a week`s time - bought the paint just last week.

Mine has the Eurokit retracts installed, also a G-26 for power and it will be model #3 on my new Futaba 2.4 GHz FASST 6EXA radio. Local rules require we must have a Tx operated kill switch hooked up to gas engines and so I have given the flaps and unfortunately the smoke a miss. After some agonising I eventually went for a one-piece wing

I also installed a hidden elevator system much along the lines described by Maximus in post # 123 above. Geez, I nearly got painted into a corner with that lot! I`ll also install a couple of pilots and a mildly detailed cockpit.

I`ve also made up a scale looking tailwheel assembly but on the home run made it a fixed, non-steerable affair. I`m not too phased about that as experience with my similar size Spitfire, and a previous big Eindecker, proves that they will steer quite adequately on rudder only with a fixed tailwheel or skid.

I`ll intend to post a pic or two later when it is completed.

Alan W

Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 PM
JohnC42

Anybody got a video of their At6. I would love to see how it flies.

John
Old 10-24-2007, 12:22 PM
ScaleRCpilot

AlphaWhiskey,

your plane has covering or no covering? I hope to install a scale looking steerable tail wheel on mine. Will try to hook it up with a pull-pull type system.

The Sierra Giant Scale retracts on the AK Models site look good. Might need some slight mod to get the oleos to clear. The mounting plates do not look quite large enough but might work ok.

I think the EuroKit retracts still have my vote.

JohnC42 Check out you-tube there are some cool movies there both models and Full scale.
SR/CP
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
JohnC42

I've looked on youtube but can't find any, I'll have another look now.

Cheers, John
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
harleydoberman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc-4WNo2IRQ

you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IN-ov3wD5U

Tony
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 PM
ScaleRCpilot

JohnC42

Don't forget Google has videos too!
Good Luck! Doug
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I looked at the retracts by Sierra Giant and there is no parts listing for them on SG's website. Anyone know which ones they are or how much they cost? I emailed them but got no reply. I like the looks of them though.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 AM
gesada

I think you are better off calling Sierra Giant for the info on the retracts.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:06 AM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

After seeing what the Seirra gear look like, I,m kinda bummed that I,ve already got the Robarts and the center wing section torn apart to accomodate them.
They sure do look nice and ya just gotta drop them in place no mods required.

Dave
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Doug,

I tried to reply to your post a couple of days back but the system wouldn`t buy it then. My model is covered, just unpainted. The flying surfaces are covered with a translucent film that I`m not familiar with. If pressed, I might guess it to be Oz cover, but I really don`t know. It really is very well done, and the both the fbreglass fuselage and centre section have a very good white gelcoat finish.

My intention is to spray everything with 'Zinsser' primer/sealer ex a 13oz spraycan and then apply watered down acrylic housepaint colour via my cheap basic Badger spray outfit. I`ve used acrylic housepaint before, both brushed and sprayed on Koverall and it works well for me.

Roundels and markings etc are intended to be cut from scrap stick-on vinyl liberated from my friendly local signwriter.

Alan W
Old 10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

The price is right, and I will be ordering a set next week.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
bblizzard

hi,

can anybody tell me if a ys 140 will fly the cmp texan? i know it says a 160 2 stroke but at 14lbs a ys 140 should fly it great. but i have never seen the plane in person, don't know if wieght is accurate. please help.

thanks, brad
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Hi Brad,

If my memory is right the YS is a higher performance 4 stroke thats made by O.S.
It might be slightly on the marginal side. You will probably have to forget about the retracts and go for the fixed wire LG from the kit.

You would need to keep it light but I'm afraid you will need to add some additional weight to balance it. Which will probably be heavy in the end anyway. It would be a good flyer with a 180 4S.

Good Luck, Doug
Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 AM
bblizzard

hi again,

so you think a saito 180 would fly it well with retracts and all?

brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.