Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP 160 sized Texan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP 160 sized Texan

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP 160 sized Texan

The YS would be FINE!!! YS is not made by OS they are made by YS, they have the highest power to weight ratio of any mass produced 4 stroke RC engine. They utilize a special fuel pump/supercharger system. Sure you'll have to add some nose weight but it will pull the plane just fine. The YS 140 has about the same power as the 160 fx and even more power than the saito 180....If you don't believe me ask this same question over in the engines forum.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 AM
RCPILOT78

SCALERCPILOT.....I too chose the eurokit retracts and they work very well.....BUT.....I have about 25 flights on the gear and I had to modify them extensively....the gear have two set screws per strut they are a pain to file flat spots and get the right angles for toe in on the wheels....I had to drill out all the set screw holes and put larger set screws in because the supplied ones are too small to secure the struts...after one flight the struts develope to much play...they now are locked tight no more play...before I did the mods I contimplated removing them and replacing them with other brands...the plane flies very good but the gear need to be reengineered..the weakest part of the gear is the area where the set screws and strut connect to the retract mechanism....( very bad design) very weak design.....
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Brad.

I think it would fly BUT there might be some issues with the length of the motor in regards to the cowl. There was some 4Srk questions similar in an earlier post.

Although I think it would fly with the retracts fine with that motor. This plane seems to be designed for the Zenoaha G-26 or that it lends itself to that motor real well. It would sound good IMHO with a 4skr. The G-26 I heard fly was simlar to a high pitched sixty but louder due to the single down pipe used. Its too bad we can't seem to get that sound of the propeller tips going supersonic like the real ones! Doug
Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 AM
ScaleRCpilot

Wow RCPILOT78,

Those buggers are TOO expensive to have to do such a mod to them! I hate to hear that!

I am at a crucial point in deciding whether to build this CMP AT6 or sell the kit and go the real expensive way of building a Yellow Aircraft AT6.

So would the set screws hold better with some blue or red locktite added to them? Or is it because there are no flats on the retract that seem to be the problem?

My old Harley would rattle itself apart if it was not for loctite. lol!
Thanks for the update on the Eurokit retracts good to know that! Doug
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
ScaleRCpilot

bblizzard, mugenkidd

mugenkidd is right that motor might work on that CMP AT6 with a little nose weight. BUT may still face some cowl length issues. Specially with that turbo charger.

Thanks mugenkidd for setting the record straight! My apologizes to the YS fans out there as well as the OS fans.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 PM
RCPILOT78

scaleRCpilot....I tried everything locktite did not solve the problem....I thought of useing JBweld but you need to remove the struts for service, JBweld would make that impossible..the only way to make the gear more stable is to do what I did drill out the little 1/8 inch diameter set screws and I added much larger bolt like set screw...no more slop..and your right all that after paying 345.00 american dollars...isn't that a kick in the pants.. I can also see another mod in the area of the oleo strut there is a third set screw that rides in a slot which keeps the lower strut from rotating...that slot is widening after each flight and is bigger than the set screw causing more wobble..I will have to drill that out and put a larger set screw there also...I have owned this set of gear since June and after every flight they had to be repaired....I think that with the new set screws that should end. RCPILOT78
Old 10-31-2007, 05:15 PM
RCPILOT78

scaleRCpilot....I forgot to mention that there is nothing worng with the cmp at-6, it builds and flys exellent..its the retrects that are all the problem....I've been building scale planes with retracts for over 20 years..and I find that the landing gear for the most part take a heck a lot of abuse with hard landings and rough grass fields...sometimes both of these are unavoidable..excluding crashes...the landing gear should be designed to take a lot more pounding..I haven't had a bad landing with my at-6 since I started flying it but the gear was not able to handle normal landings and a fairly smoth grass field I fly off of...thats not good for such an expensive set of gear...the manufacturer needs to beef up the three areas I mentioned with larger set screws and the flat spots need to be machined into the struts at the factory...RCPILOT78
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM
mystar46

I'm real close to ordering the Marines VMT-1 model. It seems like a steal at $229 from Nitroplanes. Are you guys using the Magneto or the EI G26's? Is there an advantage to either? Horizon claims 10 ounces lighter with the EI model. I wonder if they include the ignition battery in their weight. The pictures at the beginning of this thread are great. You guys do nice work!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
ScaleRCpilot

RCPILOT78,

Thanks for the field report on EuroKit retracts!

Anyone else having this same type of problem with EuroKit retracts after using them.
And what about Robart? You guys flying Robart any problems?

SR/CP
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 AM
bblizzard

hi,
ON THE RETRACT SUBJECT THE SIERRA'S ARE PERFECT FOR THIS PLANE NO MOD'S NEEDED DROP RIGHT IN. THEY WERE MADE JUST FOR THIS SPECIFIC MODEL AND THERE QUALITY IS SECOND TO NONE $310.00 COMPLETE W/TANK, LINES AND ALL ACCESSORIES. MY BUDDY HAS THESE ON HIS CMP TEXAN, OVER A 100 FLIGHTS NOT THE FIRST PROBLEM SO FAR. THEY ARE MACHINED ALUMINUM, NO CASTING.

BRAD
Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
ScaleRCpilot

bblizzard,

Any pics Brad? Would like to see the whole strut and all if possible. Do they look scale or are they wire struts? Sounds like a fair deal with tank and fittings!

Thanks Doug
Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
ScaleRCpilot

bblizzard,

Mark,
Do you have the serria part number to order?

Thanks! Doug
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

You will have to call Darrell at Sierra...440-476-4885. They have them listed on the website, and they look pretty good to me. I ordered a set with the air kit, and I should get them next week. Go to their site and take a look. These drop right in and appear to be of good quality. They are NOT wire struts, but rather they are machined aluminum struts. The pric is competitive with Robart...cheaper than Eurokit, and require NO modding of the wing. Check em out!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 PM
ScaleRCpilot

jcflysrc,

Thanks, I looked them over. I realise that I had seen these in an earlier post and commented about the mount, that it looked a little undersize. But with the report that bblizard gave I'm rethinking. The Sierra's do look good and the price is fair.

Thanks again too all! SR/CP
Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 AM
jcflysrc

I should have mine sometime next week and I will give my impression of them when I have them in hand. I will also post with regard to fit, and function too.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 AM
jcflysrc

OK I got the retracts. They are air up and air down. All hardware is first rate. The struts fit, but there was a little bit of material that had to be removed for the scissors to fit. A few minutes with the dremel and the job was done. No ribs were modified, and there was very little material that had to be removed. I will have to get an air pump to check operation. These are really nicely done and I think they will be fine. I will let anyone interested know how they operate as soon as possible.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
ScaleRCpilot

jcflysrc,

That was fast delivery! Air up and air down? Humm! I would think they would put a spring in there to incourage the downward lock-in on them retracts. I for sure want to know how well they work so please do tell.

Hey jc where you fly in houston? I used to be a BPAC (BayPort Aero Club) member from Deerpark Tx way back. Now I fly at the Gonzales Airport, paved and hardly ever a full scale in flight there. Great Flying there!

SR/CP
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 AM
jcflysrc

Well here's the skinny on the Sierra retract operation. Very smooth, and they seem sturdy even though there is no spring down involved. The air valve has two needle valves to set the speed of the retract movement...one for up, and one for down. They can be set for movement between 3 and 10 seconds. The air tank is pretty big, and I was able to cycle the gear many times on one fill. These are really nice, and the machining is first rate. The air kit comes with 2 quick disconnects, and 3 T's, an air valve, and a fill valve, and plenty of air line in two different colors. Blue for the up line, and red for the down line. Or vice versa. The retract cylinders have two nipples, one for the up line and one for the down line. All the fittings are first rate.

I ordered these on Friday and they were on my doorstep on Monday. Darrell is a friendly guy and has a good product. I would definately recommend these to anyone. Now it's time to get this baby airborn and see how she flys.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Lars N

Is the wing in one part or three when its finished?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 AM
ScaleRCpilot

Hey, Dave (mystar46)

I think both engines (g26 mag and g26ei) are being used. There may be a slight trade-off of weight between magneto vs. battery pack and igntion module. I think the difference will be in the performance of the two.

Personally I like the magneto because of simplicity. Also you may need the added nose weight.

These planes are a very good value.
Good luck! Doug
Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 AM
jcflysrc

My Texan with the Sierra retracts. Forgive me for the poor quality pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51225.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	807807  
Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
ScaleRCpilot

jcflysrc,

Nice! The retracts look good. Flown it yet?

I'm hoping Mrs. Santa brings me retracts for Christmas.

SR/CP
Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 AM
jcflysrc

Not yet! However, I did start the engine today(ZG26), and it started easily by hand flipping the prop. Runs very strong and smooth. I balanced it today as well. It is balanced at 122mm...middle of the range, and it took exactly 8 oz. of lead, just as I read somewhere on this thread. I don't have an all up weight, but it feels like it might go around 12 or 13 lbs. If the weather co-operates, I should get it in the air over the weekend. Wish me luck! I highly recommend the Sierra retracts for this plane...nothing but quality.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:56 PM
ScaleRCpilot

jcflysrc,

Good Luck! Watch that wind its going to be blowing this week - cool front moving thru Houston this weekend!

SR/CP
Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 PM
RCPILOT78

jcflysrc....good luck on the maiden...I have been flying mine since June down here in Florida weather is great....just remember keep the speed up on landing....I converted mine to flaps....I tried landing once without useing them and I floated past the runway....I had to do a go around...at 13+ lbs also keep the speed up on take off she shows tendencies to want to drop the left wing on takeoff...otherwise the at-6 is a great fun airplane...GOOD LUCK RCPILOT78

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.