Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Rant+ Bomber field

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Rant+ Bomber field

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rant+ Bomber field

kewl deal Barry, I look forward to next year. I talked to my buddy Phil M about 3 hours ago.
he made it home safetly. He will have his 109 all dialed in for June next year for sure.

look forward to it. your F84 looks awsume. Evan and Phil said it looked and sounded great.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 PM
sforrest
My Feedback: (13)

Having just completed my ninth year at Bomber Field. I say thanks to the 16 or so club members their families, and all the volunteers from other clubs that helped with the event.

As for people in the pits. Ask yourself what did you do to rid the problem. I would think if all the pilots would kindly ask the spectators to stay behind the fence there wouldn't be a problem. Can't blame the club members. Those 16 folks were busy cooking, manning the flight-line, collecting money, going to the store for more water and hamburgers, working the radio impound, and announcing the pilots. I hope you get the point. I guess it is just easier to complain after the event is over, than to lend a helping hand.

ARFs - I would challenge anyone that doesn't like ARFs to call your local hobby store, kit company, or kit cutter and start building. You have 51 weeks to build that quaility aircraft.

Bomber Raffle - It is my understanding the person that donated a year of his time building the plane died a few years ago. Hey, if you can't afford to build a plane for yourself maybe you could step-up and build a Bomber.

The Bear - Having had the opportunity to fly the Bear in 2005 I can say that is not a plane you just roll out and fly. It takes a full day just to check everthing over, fill the tanks, remove, and charge the 11 different battery packs. Everyone wants to see the Bear fly. I know I did. Mr. Weber told me he just did not feel like rolling the Bear out on Saturday. Maybe it had something to do with working on it the previous 2 days in the heat, or, I believe he is in his 80's. I hope I have his energy if I live that long. I would guess Mr. Weber wants to see the Bear fly more than anyone. One thing is for sure the Bear will be there next year because the owner of the plane was smart not to fly the plane when things just didn't feel right.

B-17s - I will agree the number of B-17s at the event was down this year. If you want to see more B-17s in the air then call your favorite kit cutter and order one. I plan to order mine next week. Hope to see you on the flight line!!

If you are coming to the event as a pilot just to fly your plane then go home and complain about the event then Bomber Field is not the place for you. There is so much more that goes on. It's not the planes you fly, its the people you fly with. That is why I spend part of my vacation and drive 13 to 15 hours, 855 miles to be a part of Bomber Field. To all the great people I met and talked to see you next year. I'm going to the shop to build.

Thanks again.

Steve Forrest

Old 09-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

OK, so did anyone get any photos or videos of this great event? I would like to have been there, but I was attending the Kansas City Aviation Expo, where I was able to touch and drool all over the P-38 Lightning "23 Skidoo" and watch her fly! The P51D "Gunfighter" flown by my friend BG Reggi Urschler, The A-26 "Spirit of Waco", The AT-6 Texan (Japanese Zero from "Tora, Tora, Tora"!) flown and owned by My friend Mr. Doug Jackson, the B-25J, and a ton of modern Warbirds, to include the U.S. Navy Blue Angels were there. Sorry guys, scale models are terrific, but nothing beats the Real Thing. I'll be posting some photos and videos of this event sometime this week. OK, my Top Flite C-47 is about 3 hours from being ready for its maiden flight, so I have to get back to the building table. Good luck to all of you in your modeling and flying endeavours.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

YEP.... go to the "other thread"
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4760977/tm.htm

Tomas
Old 09-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Burger

Good post! Some people can't see the forest for trees.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
CRAZYRYAN

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Barry, where do you fly on a regular basis? I'd love to see it up close, with time to ask questions, and take it in.

As for my words above, there was no reason for that, one hotdog isn't the end of the world, and we'll be back!!

The neighbors dogs, I wish that was the only problem we had at our field, our neighbor gets mad and shoots at our planes as we fly the down-wind leg of our pattern. It adds to the realism of flying a warbird.

are u serious? that is so hilarious. oh btw Barry thanks for spending that extra $20 for the registration now i can use my 20 to buy me more four stroke fuel and sorry that my friend andrew did not know what he was doing when you had him spot your plane ive tried to teach him what he needs to look out for. []
Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
skull1971

Which part?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
CRAZYRYAN

i was talking about the guy that shoots down the airplanes
Old 09-19-2006, 08:17 PM
skull1971

Yep, he built his house next to the field, knowing it was there, and now raises hell about it. He gets drunk and thinks the planes are going to hit his house. So he pulls out a shot gun and shoots really in all directions. He's the main topic at Larry's when any of us from our club come in. It's real fun!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 PM
CRAZYRYAN

that is just too funny we have a guy that built his place next to us right on the base/final leg of the runway south of the field but he doesnt get drunk and dont seem to mind the planes buzzing as long as i dont do any aerbatic above his place. are u in danger of getting shot if he gets too drunk like he would walk over to the fence line and takout a pilot?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
skull1971

He's about 1000 yards from the pilot box, with a shot gun so the danger of getting hit is low, but there. It's really only a matter of time before, either he screws up, and the law gets him, or someone gets hurt. The clubs stance is that he dosen't bother anyone, we need to police ourselves better, and "He only shoots his gun to warn us that we are over his house."

I've been looking for other places to fly, but being 12 minutes away from the ack-ack makes it hard to travel. I did like Bomber Field, but that's 75 miles.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Flak

Sforrest,
Thanks for your comments. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, there will always be someone who is not happy about something and all they will do is complain. However, I am delighted this thread came along, or I would not have known you are going to build a bomber yourself. I am sure it will be stunning. I can tell all of you guys here that Mr. Steve Forrest is Top Drawer and a Stand Up Guy. He is also one heck of a modeler as well as a great R/C Pilot. I am proud to call Steve my friend. This means I have to get off my behind and get my B-25J Mitchell finished. Steve, my C-47 should fly REAL SOON. Good luck to you with your bomber project. Please have a post on it here with photos.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:33 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not happy that it is so far away [&o]. We were there in 2001 and 2002 and had a ball, but it is a 23 hour drive and just too far. I'd love to come back some day, myself.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks Barry for your kind words about Bonnie, I only wished see was as nice as your F-84. I will also have to side with Terry about B Bs Bear If the reast of them had spent that much time and effort into building such a beast then thay could have flown it when and were thay so chose !! The last flyin before bomber feild in which I had Flown Bonnie was Texarkanas and thay gave the best warbird to a sopwith pup which lost something off of it on every flight. Thay said that since it had flown on both days and I had only flown on saterday that that was the reason it won !! I told them that when thay cut It !! Built It !! and Finnished It then thay could dictate when it could be flown !! Then I reminded them what really P. O. Me was the fact that the Big Bird Fun Fly thay had Sactioned the Big Bird Was only for Saturday and open flying on sunday. I also Knew that the way the wind was blowing on sunday across the lake and over the dam, that their was now way i would risk flying her !! I imagine B B felt the same way on Sunday.
Those plaque's Look good on da wall But Bringing an airplane home in one piece FEELS 100 times better !!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 PM
CRAZYRYAN

I flew my piper super cub 1/4 scale in the windy saturday afternoon i was the only one and the anouncer said 'lets hope that the wind doesn't suck the plane into the ground beat the odds though. the rest of the pilots thought i was an idiout to risk it. i don't really care
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
stratosn
My Feedback: (26)

Good to hear all the comments. Lets start with the impound. AT NO TIME.......................Was there ever a transmitter out that was not signed out and had the pin. When they brought the scanner to the impound every thing that lit up was sighed out with the pin. Some one said something and they went out of control. One time there was a pin on the ground that a sighed out pilot had dropped. They came running to the impound and said........See I tould you they did not have the pin. We give the pin that had been dropped to the pilot that had dropped it and that is all. I talked to the impound people yesterday for along time. They do it every year and they are good.
Lets talk about no Polo or collered shirts. They are hot and cost more that they are worth so I quit buying them. 25 dollars or so is to much for it and we did not sell hardly any of them. When I can get a good shirt for a fair price I am going to get some more. Did you see the new hats, they are nice.
Lets talk about the special treatment that Barry gets. He is there before daylite and puts his planes where he wants. That all is first come first served. As they say the early bird gets the worm .
The size of the event is not a big as usual. We had about 2000 spectators this year. We usually have about 2500. The guy about the heat. It was cooler this year that it was last year. Too put this on takes a lot of money. From porta pottys, dumpster, paid help because we don't have enough volluntiers.
And DAVE, it don't look like there was anything there that you did like. We try to run a good safe event but it looks we goofed with you. The three black labs come from way in the south east corner, I think. I will try to contact their owners and do something about it.
Of course I did get a lot of nice comments from pilots and people that enjoyed the event. We have stopped the long lines to get coold drinks and hamburgers. Sometime we just don't get enough drinks and we did run out of water late Sat. but I went and got some more later and we had plenty more for Sun. We do have water at each end of the building and it is good deep well water. B. B. was not feeling his best Sat. The heat is hard on him. He is 77 now and just can't do what he could. The wind was not cooperating either. I would have liked to see it fly, too. At times there is too many people in the pits and that is a problem I would like to do better with. With out any more help that is about all we have been able to do.
Looks like Barry and Steve had a good time. Steve came from Mo. hopes he comes back.
Joe Weber did pass away several years ago. He build the B-17s free and we would raffel them off. David Johns built us one and they have been hard to come by. To pay a builder to do it and buy the parts would be too much. It is about 4800.00 plus labor.
I hope this helped some. Thank you, Nick Stratos
Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
skull1971

Instead of complaining, how about this? IF I'm still not a member by next year, I'll volunteer to come out and help. Just PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick,
Don't let them get you down. You put on a fine event this year, and every year I have been there (11 so far). The group from Corpus Christi wants to extend a great big "THANK YOU" to you and all your crew for a great weekend. Feel free to let us know if there is anything we can do.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

good to see nick here. bomber is the biggest event i attend and the best run as well. i dont mind dave not enjoying the event. it seems he likes an event that is for the pilot with not much in the way of spectators. thats fine if that is his deal, but bomber is about the spectator. it promotes the hobby. it is like going to a full scale show. it is for the crowd. but i have just as much fun. i always enjoy seeing the veterans in the crowd. that is why i pit in an area open to the public. i like hearing there stories, for a minute or two, it is as if i was there with them when they go back in time and tell you something about their service to this country. i dont get this from any other event. it is a safe event, well run event, and i cant wait till next year. if you dont like the event, than dont come or volunteer and be the difference. everyone is welcome, barry raborn
Old 10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick,

I think Barry said it best, the event is just not my kind of thing. There were a lot of pluses like great scale planes, really great people ect. Sorry if pointing out my resons for not likeing something caused you consternation. I think its a big enough hobby for people to enjoy the aspects that they like and avoid those they dont. BTW thanks for volenteering to be a CD at an event. Thats a lot of work.

Regards,

Dave
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: u2fast

good to see nick here. bomber is the biggest event i attend and the best run as well. i dont mind dave not enjoying the event. it seems he likes an event that is for the pilot with not much in the way of spectators. thats fine if that is his deal, but bomber is about the spectator. it promotes the hobby. it is like going to a full scale show. it is for the crowd. but i have just as much fun. i always enjoy seeing the veterans in the crowd. that is why i pit in an area open to the public. i like hearing there stories, for a minute or two, it is as if i was there with them when they go back in time and tell you something about their service to this country. i dont get this from any other event. it is a safe event, well run event, and i cant wait till next year. if you dont like the event, than dont come or volunteer and be the difference. everyone is welcome, barry raborn
Barry, I agree with your comments regarding Nick S. and the Bomber Field crew doing a fabulous job of coordinating the many activities taking place over their three day event, however, I must disagree with you regarding your comments to DAVE.
As a Contest Director in one of the oldest and largest R/C clubs in Florida, I have always strived to make my events more PILOT FRIENDLY. Unfortunately this trait appears to be diminishing with many C.D.'s, which quite frankly, I don't understand why. Pilots make the event Barry. Trust me, the public is not interested in seeing the same local planes, boring endless holes in the sky. You cater to the pilot via complimentary gifts, food, beverages, plaques, reduced pilot fees, even a simple bottle of glue and that individual will make every attempt to return the following year. Just ask the folks at W.O.D. why their event has grown tremendously throughout the years, contrary to the treatment our guy's received at Dayton a few year's back. Please, I know we all need to support the host club, but what difference does a reduced (or waived) pilot fee or a freakin' bottle of glue make to the club's coffer? Well...its the principle of the gesture, especially when one drives 3500 miles with 5 warbirds stowed in a trailer. Any collectible fee from the pilots is peanuts to the overall event revenues. I've crunched the revenue numbers for enough years to tell you the amount of profits made from concessions and raffles is ENORMOUS.

Pilot's are the priority. Please do not underestimate their important in the success of any event.

Regards,
Nick Capone
Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 PM
shifterpilot

ya know...
mom always said there'd be one or two in a crowd.....

were else can you go and have 2,000-4,000 spectators and a bunch of little kids all white eyed and gitty watching you fly and asking you endless questions about your aircraft? not to mention 3hrs. of Live coverage on Fox News 2 mornings in a row....

so it was a little warm....ITS SEPTEMBER IN TEXAS!!!....i guess the concept of bringing a canopy or umbrella for shade is totally hard to grasp. there must have been at least 50 of them there.....Hell i'll let you borrow my two if needed...

i've been to this event the last 4yrs. in a row minimum...and i'll guarentee you i can count on one hand how many times i've seen bomber members flying during these three days....why you ask....good question...cause they are too busy taking out your trash, answering questions, working the front gate, parking cars, cooking burgers, serving soft-drinks, and working the flight line....this is undoubtably the finest event i've attended.

i'll bet you your $20.00 if you are really that disappointed with their event, they'd glady return you your money.....AND DON'T GO if this isn't your gig, that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors, but don't talk a bunch of trash about a fine group of men..JUST KEEP YOUR PIE-HOLE SHUT.....hundreds of pilots and thousands of spectators come every year and enjoy themselves....... ( everyone will think alot more of you that away)

i've personally taken Nick's truck to the local town to get 25-30 cases of soft drinks during the day to help out.....and i'm not a member. if you'd put in as much effort into helping someone there as you did in forthought of your post....you'd be alot happier and probably want to attend again.

these gentlemen are undoubtably the finest group i've had the privelage of sharing a softdrink and conversation with....and a cigar with Mr. Webber
i look forward to coming back again next time...and very much appreciate the effort and time spent to promote R/C flying and bomber field.

semper fi,

shifterpilot
Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shift,

I really think its time to adjust the meds-see your doc. At no time did I talk trash about anyone, I simply pointed out things about the event that I didn't care for. I don't want my money back(Never made the claim). As to shutting my 'pie hole' I will express myself in this forum for as long as the moderators will permit me to. Its kinda the American way.

Semper Fi,

Dave