Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Rant+ Bomber field

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Rant+ Bomber field

Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rant+ Bomber field

Sorry in advance for the rant, but I will feel better after I get this off my chest.

Just got back from Bomber field and I won't be back. The flight line was out of control. The rabble(including numerous unleased dogs) wandering around in the pits. The heat. The appearant lack of appreciation for modelers who paid their $20 bucks to fly in crowded skies and make the show possible. I wont be back, I will fly at my club field next year and spend the entry fee on something silly like fuel.

Now I feel better.

Dave
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rant+ Bomber field

Guess I missed a lot. Things looked very well to me as compared to a number of events that I have attended. While I don't fly at Bomber Field in this event, I have a lot of respect for the excellent modelers that do.

I loved the day. One item certainly got my attention as I was talking with a vendor inside the pit area. Below!. Thanks for the fence.

The other was the man carrying machine, a 7/8 Nieuport (sp?). Hard to imagine going to war in that thing. Brave men preceded us!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78020.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	525270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97730.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	525271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54304.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	525272  
Old 09-16-2006, 11:05 PM
skull1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a good show, but c550 is correct about it being a free for all, in some ways. Plus some of the people need to RELAX.

My wife went to get a hot dog for her and my daughter, after this old fa@#cut in line in front of her, he cussed her being in his way at the ketchup table. I did not see this, but she said that he was one of the members of bomber field, they all had pretty much the same "Uniform." My wife see's humor in everything, and told me not to worry, "He's so old, that may be his last meal, who know's."

The map to the field could be a little better. Thank you to the bikers at the Shrider cookout for the directions to the field, and we'll take the puppy next time.

Some really great planes, some really interesting flying (like the guy who landed the jug up-side down,) and a great airfield. THANK YOU
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I went just to spectate...much like I have for the past 4 years. My observation was that indeed it was out off control. Unleashed dogs being only a small problem. At one point, all pilots were grounded because there was far too many transmitters turned on. Using a scanner, they were able to detect more chanels in use than there were radios checked out of the impound. Not a good situation, and completely unnecessary. I will return however because it is still a great show, and today there was a big crowd...just wish it weren't so dang hot!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just got home from bomber and saw this post. i have been at bomber flying since thursday. i think bb abd the crew put on as good of show as possible under the circumstances. i flew around 30 flights and never encountered any flightline issues. true, on saturday,, the line to fly at each station was up to 3 deep in the heat of the action. but i just set my plane in line and BSed until it was my turn. as for the dogs wondering around, it is true, a neighbor to bomber has 3 old labs that just wonder around. after all it is the country the rest of the year. they are harmless and just lay around. i guess it easier for bb to tolerate a neighbor and his dogs than to cause a feud that could jeopardize future events. there was one other dog belonging to a member and it was mostly by his side (and a small old dog by the way) and lastly there was my dog on a leash in her bed by my model (a seven pound papilion). i guess the long story short here is, you have a club who love the hobby, love scale, bust there rump to put on an event to promote the hobby and this is the thanks they get. some just expect too much. there is no utopia in the world. there were no shoot downs, no mid airs, no wait to land. were there to many transmitters checked out at one time, probably, and when this was brought to the attention of the men running the event, they shut down the flightline and accounted for all the radios. i had a great time and cant wait for next year. i also hope to see everyone back next year. barry raborn
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

Members from the Tejas RC club (I think they were helping out in this event) seemed to be the first ones that noticed the radio interference problem with their frequency monitors. Can someone from Tejas RC club (or whoever also knows the facts) tells us who are those people that turned on the transmitters without authorization?

I was waiting to fly when the un-authorized TX problem was brought to attention on Saturday. I decided temporarily not to fly until the problem was resolved. I did fly Saturday afternoon.

I spent 8 hours there on Saturday. Yes it was hot (please don't blame Bomber Field for the weather), and yes there were some areas that may be able to use some improvements if more resources were available. But the bottom line is: I had a good time. Thank you Bomber Field.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Empennage Gunner
My Feedback: (11)

I’d have to say that in the past six years of going to this event it seems as though
The first two years were the best years (2000, 2001). The quality and quantity of
hand built models in those years were unbelievable. This years crowd was smaller
and has been dwindling since 2001. However there were a few good models out there
I did see a boat load of ARF’s. Also to note, there was no Bomber Raffle or nice polo
style shirts for sale which all leads me to think the extra effort that makes this a great
venue wasn’t there this year. Even though I’ll always enjoy the flying and meeting with
other modelers that have a passion for their hobby I’ll definitely be back next year.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I have to side with the less than positive posts; I have been to Bomber 3 times 2003, 2004 and 2006; 2003 was the best and it has been progressively worse; the flight line did appear to be in chaos at times; too often there were periods when no planes were in the air; it would seem that when one lands, another could be taking off; took a friend with me this year as he has never gone before; told him about the Bear and the opportunity to see 5 B-17's in the air at once; neither happened; the Bear was hanging in the Hanger, and only saw one B-17 in the air at any time; the same flew a few times but not when others were in the air at the same time; in past years there were about 8 B-17's in the pits, I only saw 4, although I saw 2 in a trailer; the annoucer had little to no knowledge of aircraft, often incorrectly naming the aircraft, calling a F-16 a F-4, 1930's plane as being from 1800's, etc. they ran out of bottled water; was disappointed at the raffle; I was looking forward to a B-17, kept my $10; a lot of ARF's, and some planes that flew I question if they met the 80" mono wingspan; with that being said I could have entered a heavily modified H9 60 size P-47 ARF that I put together; the Full size Aircraft flying was nice, but I came to see RC Aircraft, the only saving part of the show were the vendors, got a good deal on a plane from Cedar Hobbies, great price on some batteries and servo extensions from E-Power RC and some great info from VQ Models, did I miss anything., sorry for the rant.

I would like to connect with the guys that have a KMP B-25, there were 2 at Bomber this year and I am interested in getting one, if you know any of them please direct them my way. Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
kram-RCU

SHAMELESS PROMOTIONAL POST: (but all in good fun)

Aren't ya'll sorry you didn't attend instead, the Midwest Multi-Engine Fly, in Ames, Iowa Sept. 16??

Mild 82 degrees, excellent BBQ with no lines, everybody polite and helpful, and certainly no transmitter impound problems (with only 14 pilots and our most authoritative club members manning the booth).

Did I mention the wind gusting to 42 mph straight down the north-south runway?

Only the most skilled and courageous pilots flew in that wind, but there were no crashes and only one bad landing.

Any multi-engine plane welcome, but large military planes drew the most attention, and yes, Frank flew his B-17.
Three P-38's flew, two of them well.

Twin Synch donated one of their units as the drawing grand prize, and we gave away a SeaGull Dual Ace, as well.

Pictures to follow.

See ya there 2007!

mt

Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: kram-RCU

SHAMELESS PROMOTIONAL POST: (but all in good fun)

Aren't ya'll sorry you didn't attend instead, the Midwest Multi-Engine Fly, in Ames, Iowa Sept. 16??

Actually No. The reports above are mostly blown out of proportion. As for the radio problem, I understand, all the transmitters that were out had their freq pin, and when you have 5 flight lines, 3 pilots deep, you account for 15 transmitters right there. Add a little maintenance and then a couple pilots who forget to return their pin, & it's easy to get a few more. That was also an isolated incident.
As for no B-17 raffle, if someone would like to step up and donate their time to build one for them, I am sure they will raffle it off next year. All the ones in past were were built by volunteer labor.
And when there were no planes in the air, that would have been a perfect time for you, or members of your group to fly. And as far as being smaller than in the past, I ask, "where would you put anymore?" The pits were packed full.
Take it from someone who was there for 6 days, it was the best show within a 1000 miles, or maybe more, and even though it was as hot as I have ever experienced it there, it was just as good as in the past.
Thanks to all pilots and personel who make it possible for me to participate.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:57 AM
GAP-RCU

The Bomber Field website has advertised exactly what airplane was to be raffled for at least the past two months, maybe longer. Considering the number of 100+ degree days we've had in central Texas this summer, I rather enjoyed the cooler weather in Monaville on Saturday.

Gary
Old 09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
u2fast

in reply to desintex. i saw a handful of arfs, 2 top flite p51's, 2 world model zeros, one 3 seabees j1 standard, kmp b25, maybe 5 or so more, not to many when you consider around 200 plus models were in attendance. i dont recall seeing any models during the event under 80 inches other than jets and bipes. it is so easy to criticize, so next year, you bring the b17 to raffle or feel free to announce, or even speculate on how much food and water to have on hand. and lastly, bb weber was feeling a little under the weather and that is why he hardly did any flying at all. he had planned on flying the bear, but he is a senior citizen and if he isnt feling well, than trust he had a good reason for not flying. why oh why do we always have to look for the bad in everything. at this rate why will others give there time to only be run down at a later date in a public forum. so, all the nay sayers, let me know when you are holding the perfect event, i will be there supporting you. come on guys. lets have some fun, and if you see some changes you would like to see, than volunteer, most at bomber are volunteers. i say thank you for holding this event and letting me have a good time, barry raborn
Old 09-18-2006, 03:20 PM
c550

Barry,

I'm sure you don't remember me but we used to fly together when I still flew at Scobee.

I understand your defense of the bomber gang, your in tight and get to pit your models at the tables in the shade, by the way that is a very impressive F-84. I don't have much faith in constructive criticism bringing about positive changes. I participated in my first Bomber field fly in in the mid 90's. It was a great experience. My visit will be my last. I am not blaming anyone for the heat. I am blaming the organizers for not have any control of the crowds wandering around the pit area. They continually announced on the loudspeakers for spectators to leave the pit area and the spectators continually ignored them. Having to worry if someones kids are going to trip over or snap off an antena on your model isn't any fun. I also think small animals and spinning props should not be in proximity to one another.

I was happy to by a raffle ticket for the model raffled.

My over all impression is that this event has gotten too big and it seems it is put on more for the spectators than the modelers. I think its a bargin for the admission as a spectator. I think the modeler who shows up with a nice giant scale airplane to fly and pays his $20 is being abused. This is just my opinion and my opinion and my model and my $20 will stay home next year. I have been to a lot of flyins and contests, there are always bumps in the road. I have always felt that at other events the bumps were smothed out.

Again sorry for the rant, but I do feel better now.

Dave
Old 09-18-2006, 03:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

BB had every intention of flying the Bear and spent quite a bit of time early in the week making it ready, but was just too windy on Fri & Sat, to risk it.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Everyone has his own impression of how any fly in goes but overall I think that this years event went very well.
This event is put on by a very small group of dedicated modelers of which very few are under 70 years of age. The crowds in the pit area were not as big a problem as you have implied. I neither heard of or saw any damage caused by spectators. I was on the flight line when things were shut down for frequency checking. This took less than thirty minutes and was the prudent thing to do when people start experiencing range check problems.
The crowd and attendance was not as great this year as it has been in some past years but it still was larger than most fly ins held in district VIII.
Putting airplanes under the shelter is a matter of getting there early not necessairily having an "in" with the organizers.
I have been attending and flying for 15 of the 18 years that the event has been held and would not think twice about the $20 for the entry fee. Compared to travel expenses, food and lodging for five days that doesn't even register on the dollars spent for a good time.
Sorry that the bumps weren't smoothed out to your satisfaction but there are bunches of other places that should be able to make you happy. Ross Woods
ORIGINAL: c550

Barry,

I'm sure you don't remember me but we used to fly together when I still flew at Scobee.

I understand your defense of the bomber gang, your in tight and get to pit your models at the tables in the shade, by the way that is a very impressive F-84. I don't have much faith in constructive criticism bringing about positive changes. I participated in my first Bomber field fly in in the mid 90's. It was a great experience. My visit will be my last. I am not blaming anyone for the heat. I am blaming the organizers for not have any control of the crowds wandering around the pit area. They continually announced on the loudspeakers for spectators to leave the pit area and the spectators continually ignored them. Having to worry if someones kids are going to trip over or snap off an antena on your model isn't any fun. I also think small animals and spinning props should not be in proximity to one another.

I was happy to by a raffle ticket for the model raffled.

My over all impression is that this event has gotten too big and it seems it is put on more for the spectators than the modelers. I think its a bargin for the admission as a spectator. I think the modeler who shows up with a nice giant scale airplane to fly and pays his $20 is being abused. This is just my opinion and my opinion and my model and my $20 will stay home next year. I have been to a lot of flyins and contests, there are always bumps in the road. I have always felt that at other events the bumps were smothed out.

Again sorry for the rant, but I do feel better now.

Dave
Old 09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
u2fast

dave, we should fly together again. where do you fly. also, sometimes perception is not reality. it looks as if i get special treatment because i had a pit table. this is not true. i arrive at 5:30 am on thursday to get that spot. one year i brought a canopy and pitted with everyone else. however a rain and wind storm showed up and i quickly realized some do not anchor their canopies, as one nailed my mig and went through paul richthaumer's j1 standard. i wasnt to happy with my fellow modelors that were to lazy to fasten down their canopies, so i decided to go back to the permenat pits and take my chances with the public. i have never had any spectators damage one of my models and i pit in an area that is open to them. i find it fun talking models with people interested in models. i even went so far as to ask bb weber last year if i could pay for table space and reserve it, he said no that wouldnt be fair to the rest. so i have always arrived before the sun comes up to get a good pit space. i can see others thinking old barry has a deal for that pit space, but in reality i am there before most people even wake up and once i did battle with an early morning snake for that pit space, he decided to move on. guys, this is a small club, of which i am not a member of, that does hold a pretty darn good event for this area. they welcome other members and volunteers. it is correct, most members are over 70 years of age. give them some credit and maybe a helping hand or a little moral support. i go to a lot of fly ins, and sure there are issues with each one in some way, but i am thankful for their effort and i just roll with the flow and have a good time, unless of course things are dangerous. happy flying, barry
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
u2fast

dave, also are you referring to my dog on a leash and occasionally at the flight station, with the leash in the hand of my spotter as the dog around props? she only came out with me a couple of times and it was only when i flew a jet. just asking, barry
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
u2fast

dave, you were the one with the us customs cub? it was a good looker. come on old bud, did you have that bad of a time. you flying up there off of kuykendahl? barry
Old 09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
c550

Barry,

Every time I saw your dog, it was in its basket or on a lease. There were a few lab mix dogs just wandering around. My last retriever would beg to go to the field and was well behaved, but I always had some kind of restraint on him to prevent his encountering a spinning prop. The dogs never seemed to get close to trouble, but with the dogs and every one else just walking around( I did have to ask a kid who started playnig with the static prop from my P-47 to put it down)in the pits it seemed over the top and out of control.

I also applaud your dedication for getting there early enough for a prime pit spot. I am not trying to run down the crew at bomber field. I have realized that the event is put on for the spectators who have paid to get in. I prefer the type of events that have fewer spectators and are more set up for modelers. I guess I am saying I would rather be a small fish in a small pond then a tiny fish in a huge pond. My memories of past fly ins at bomber are better then recent experiences. I hope the event continues, it is just not my thing.

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Holy Smoly; didn't mean to offend anyone, a little constructive criticism didn't hurt anyone; I was just echoing Dave's thoughts; except for the dogs, although I did see one black dog walking around aimlessly; I didn't bring a tape measure to measure wing spans, but it just appeared that a couple of A-6 Texans were a little shy in the wing span; I forgot to mention, that despite the negative issues, I did enjoy what I saw, shows like these always gives me the opportunity for new ideas, I have been interested in the KMP B-25 for some time and have held off getting one because seeing it on the Website does little to fully convince me, however, I was glad I made the trip to Bomber this year because I got to see 2 KMP b-25s, and will I come back to Bomber, probably yes; I always look forward to the Vendors, more next year would be great.

Oh, BTW if you know the guys that have those KMP B-25's let me know so I can Email them or something, Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:36 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

sorry I missed this year Barry. looked forward to seeing you and the guys again. I am however planning for
next year in June for sure. I will travel half the width of the Country any day to go to Bomber field again.

Hopefully you will be there in june as well Barry, will talk to you soon
Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
u2fast

todd, i will be there and dinner is on me. evan and phil represented for the me109 club. i wish everyone had as much fun as i do. i guess others enjoy the hobby different from me. i like a crowd. i like promoting the hobby. it seems as some feel certain people get special treatment. i dont. i get there first, i am an early bird. i get a good pit spot. i am this way wherever i go. i waited in line to fly the same. i just had 4 models flying and 2 different channels, so it may seem i was in the air a lot, but on one channel i was the only one and the other there were three of us and we shared and sometimes spotted for each other. i come to fly and watch others fly. i burned 12 gallons of jet a, a gallon of gas, and some 4 stroke fuel as well. i am not a member of bomber, just a fan, and i think i get along with about everyone. one of the best things about bomber is having a senior citizen come up and talk to you about your model. some flew them, and some wrenched on them. they share their memories and all are hero's to me. that is one of the reasons i like to pit in area accessible to the public. life is to short to pick things apart. it may not be an event for everyones taste and that is ok too, but this club works hard to support the scale side of the hobby, barry
Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

This Is just my second year to fly at Bomber field. and yes I feel that their was a little problem with the crowd and the way some of the flight line was handled.

Still if you take it all into perspective it was run pretty well by The "Dirty Dozen"
and those Like me who have been a worker in a club, and have Done a few fun flys know what I mean !!

It takes a whole lot of people to put such an event like this on, and those type of people just aren't around anymore!!! Small Steps in Little Rock is almost as Big and thank God we don't have that many spectators !! yet we still only have 5 or 6 club members who work It !! I flew my "Bonnie" 9 times in 2.5 Days with no problem and my P-51, 5 times even after the Freq./Interferance scare, with no problem . Thats tough when you spend 3.5 years cutting it !!,Building it, and finnishing it !!

So thay spent to much time with the spectators and their were a few black labs looking for a back scratcher Ill be back next year you can bet your bottom dollor, and o bye the way !!! Me and "Bonnie" We never missed da Runway !!! All 9 times !!

Dale Womack Meister P-47 "BONNIE" Alexander Arkansas 491 miles away
Old 09-18-2006, 10:22 PM
u2fast

here here dale, hope to see you back next year. and bonnie was a beaut. barry
Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 PM
skull1971

Barry, where do you fly on a regular basis? I'd love to see it up close, with time to ask questions, and take it in.

As for my words above, there was no reason for that, one hotdog isn't the end of the world, and we'll be back!!

The neighbors dogs, I wish that was the only problem we had at our field, our neighbor gets mad and shoots at our planes as we fly the down-wind leg of our pattern. It adds to the realism of flying a warbird.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.