Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

"GUY BORDELON F4U-5N"{1/4 scale, XXL Corsair Kit}.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

"GUY BORDELON F4U-5N"{1/4 scale, XXL Corsair Kit}.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
pitsspecial

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: "GUY BORDELON F4U-5N"{1/4 scale, XXL Corsair Kit}.

HI Graham,

Yes Nigel certanly knows what he is doing! hes yet again made a good job of your paint masks, has he done all the small insignia/markings as well? i still havent heard anything from Tailormade about my Tigercat masks, if i havent heard anything soon i will get Nigel to do those together with the 1/4 Bearcat masks, would be good to see it on its gear up at Phils bash, are you planing to test fly the P38 there?

So come on Jason, has all this work helped to get you into gear to get the ME109 done? that would be cool to have 2 1/4 ME109 up together!!!

Keep up the good work,
Di n Dave..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17693.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1023147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51207.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1023148  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Jetjockgb
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave,

Not sure what I can manage to get in the Van!! yes I would like to take the 38 up to Colt but then I would not get the Beast in the van,or as you said just take up the PCM ME 109 for an airing.
Yes we are working small insignia,just getting the sizes right.

I have just got in the scale Hamilton spinner's,these will finish her of very nice, Price on the spinner is £40.00 if anyone wants one.

Some pics of the Spinner and the beast

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Name:	Bz79116.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1025999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46952.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1026000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42010.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1026001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71530.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1026002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94888.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1026003  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Jetjockgb

More,

Name:	Yw68569.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1026004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12605.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1026005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43062.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1026006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44107.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1026007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11509.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1026008  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome as always Graham...

I want an XXL so much, I have moved it up the build list to straight after the Mustang.

Hopefully by then I will be able to get one to Canada and afford the radial.

You are costing me a fortune!

Cheers

Goose
Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graham,

Looking SWEET!!! Are you using an airbrush to paint yours? I can't believe how fast it's all coming together. I'm like a turtle and your the rabbit.

Barry
Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Jetjockgb

Hi Goose,
I'm glad you like her, and I thought you were getting a 38!!!! tell me more about your P51.
Goose you will like these pics from Germany,the home of the xxl, I could not get to this meeting in Germany this year[] just look at all these XXL "BEASTS"!!!!!

Cheers Graham.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Name:	Mk25120.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1026053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21128.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1026054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31915.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1026055  
Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Jetjockgb

Hi Barry,

Yes it starts to come together when you start painting,and yes all air brush/gun,once I have all the paint on I will start to weather her up and the give her a dirty was and some rusty bits!!!!.
Barry your beast is coming on leaps and bounds, I still have more work to do on the wing, I'm just deciding if I should put a landing light on,not sure have you got one on your Corsa????

Cheers Graham
Old 09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
v6goose

Nope...

I'm building a TF '51 and was blown away by your Mustang. The good thing about seeing Sherman is that I'm striving for much higher results.

I love Corsairs too and I'm having lots of fun with a slightly bashed [link=http://picasaweb.google.com/cicopo/StetsonFlyersWarBirdFunFly?authkey=9ivL8YL4c-g#5238275792234866738]H9[/link] which is getting bombs and the like in a week or two.

The XXL's are amazing and like I said, by the time I can afford one, I'm hoping getting one here is possible... we will see.

Cheers Graham...

Goose
Old 09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
pitsspecial

Hi Graham,

WOW mate!!!

Your doing a splended job with that Corsair!! the fuz just looks superb, its hard for the rest of the guys on here to see quite how big this beast realy is, im glad you have posted photos from Germany, you get to see just how BIG it realy is!! you will just have to go next year!!! Warbird Factory in convoy!!

If you wanted some of these kits taken over to the U.S.A. you should of had a word with Ali' and asked if he had any room in the container taking his planes over for Monster Planes USA?.......mmmmm mabe next year eh??

Maybe i should keep my 'small' Royal Corsair eh? .... well small at 100" to this BEAST!!

Keep up the good work

Di n Dave...

Name:	Ay75790.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1026075  
Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
NCIS

Graham,

I am putting all the nav and landing lights on mine. I have all the wires already run through the fuselage and wing. It is a lot easier to do when you are building from plans and it is not already closed in when you get it. With your talent you should be able to run the landing light without any problem. I'm going to use a bright LED inside of a flashlight that i'll cut up to work. I am also putting in a small video camera with sound. I don't know how much of a pain that will be but I'll try it. I set your canopies next to the one from Don Smith and the Mark 5 is much bigger and taller than his. I am working on making the ones you sold me into a slider as we speak. Here is the plane so far. I have seem to have copied you in some aspects. I have screwed the front wind screen down on each side so I can get the fel of just how I'm going to do it. I think I'm going to need to build up the sides of the fuse about 1/16" more and then it should fit nicely. I won't take over your thread but here are a few pic's so far. Of course all hase to come off when I glass the thing. I just want to put everything where it is going to go. You know that us painting the gas caps red isn't scale but what the hey!!

Good luck with the light or lights,

Barry

Name:	Yw67918.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1026214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87855.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1026215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66197.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1026216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55683.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1026217  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
M.L.Bordelon

Hello, Jetjockgb:
It's wonderful seeing you building a model of my dad's F4U-5N. Somewhere around here I have a photo of me looking into the Corsair's cockpit while he showed me the controls, taken at Moffet field after VC-3 came back from Korea. An interesting sidenote that nobody else but I (and now you) know is about the mascot painted on the engine cowling. My mother was annoyed with my dad when he showed her a photo of it in the original version - she was depicted as being topless! Anne is a very proper Southern lady and put her foot down hard when she saw this. A covering was soon added to the mascot's, ah...upperworks, as seen in some photos in another one of the e-mails in this series. That was in 1954. Seems like a long time ago now.
Take care, Marc L. Bordelon
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 AM
mR JoLLy

Hi Marc. It's great when relations contact the forums with their anecdotes about the subject. It makes the subject all the more interesting. I know Graham will be so excited you have posted. He has been away this week but I think he is back later today. I am sure you will get a reply from him as soon as he sees your post!

I have done all the artwork for Graham on this model and have spent some time drawing Annie Mo as best I can because there is very little original material available. If you have any pictures you would be willing to share with Graham or myself we would be very grateful! We like to get the details right for these models, but then you will have seen that.

I have my artwork as she stands at the moment, but would appreciate your comments. I can send you a higher resolution image of you would like one.

We also had some trouble finding the small "Team Dog" badge on the side of the fuselage, but I found a few references which resulted in the image below. Again if you can comment on the artwork we would be very grateful!

Nigel Wagstaff
[link=http://www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk]www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk[/link]

Name:	Gb88928.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1035987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40321.jpg
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1035988  
Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 AM
M.L.Bordelon

Hello, Mr.Wagstaff:
I believe I can dig up a Team Dog badge for you. I can remember watching my father drawing it and coloring it in with colored pencils. Let me look and I'll get back to you in a couple of days.
M.L.Bordelon
Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
mR JoLLy

Marc that would be great. We do appreciate your assistance here. What do you think of Annie Mo?? Is she close??

Very best regards

Nigel
PS Please call me Nigel. Nice and informal that way

Old 09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Jetjockgb

Hello Mark,

Well this is truly fantastic that you have found us, and it sends shivers down the spine,how did you find about our build,I can see from your user info that you are new to RCU.
Mark I have spent over 18 months on this project researching and building a replica of your dad's Corsair,and I hope myself and Nigel are doing it justice.
For yourself to reply to our build is just the icing on the cake,and it makes it very special indeed,maybe in the near future we can bring her over for you to give her the seal of approval.

Mark, I can't wait to see your drawing of the Team Dog badge, and Mark if you have any other photos of your dad and his Corsair that you would like to share with us that would be great.

Regards Graham Buchanan.
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET
Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
NCIS

Graham,

While you were away I ordered and started building a Top Flite Giant Corsair. I am trying to make it the same plane as yours. If you get any info please forward it to me so I can try to do as good a job as you are on your XXL. My 1/4 scale is still going to be the F4U-7 French Navy version of the Corsairs but the Top Flite Giant is going to be the F4U-5N with all the fixings.

Thanks,

Barry/NCIS

PS: Mark it is nice to see you interested in what Graham and now I'm doing. Of course my build is in its first stages but any support you give is great. Welcome aboard RCU.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:37 AM
M.L.Bordelon

Hello Nigel, Grahame & Barry:
Well, I spent some time going through my rolltop desk earlier this evening and found various photos of Guy, Annie-Mo...and an old photocopy of the Team Dog '53 badge! I just need to get them scanned somehow so I can send them on. I'll try a copy shop tomorrow.
After thinking about it for a while, I realized that the tem Dog design was for a flight jacket patch, not a fuselage emblem. Nigel's earlier picture of the VF-11 bulldog with shield and lance was probably what was on Dad's aircraft.
Great job on the Annie-Mo mascot painting, Nigel - you caught it near perfectly. I can't find any inaccuracy in it.
How did I come to join RCU? It was the fifth website (and your thread) that came up when I googled "Guy Bordelon, Jr." I was amazed at the craftsmanship, accuracy and attention to detail you've all displayed in your modelmaking and was impelled to comment. My compliments, gentlemen.
Sincerely, Marc Bordelon
Old 09-20-2008, 02:36 AM
mR JoLLy

Marc, thanks for the note on Annie Mo. I did take some time out to draw her correctly. Mind you I can make my Annie Mo topless with the click of a mouse But I think she looks best dressed !!

We look forward to seeing the pictures you have found!

I have sent you a personal message

Nigel
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
NCIS

Graham,

What were the Korean flags for on the right side of Guy's Corsair? Also what about the red stars? I would like to know so I can answer my friend since he asked me about your plane.

Thanks,

Barry
Old 09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
mR JoLLy

Barry, I have been talking to Graham on the telephone this evening and his computer is "out of action" at the moment so we won't be hearing from Graham until the computer is sorted. He has asked me to post here to let you all know he will be back soon, but rest assured the build continues!

As for the markings, I have helped Graham research the insignia and have supplied the paint masks for his project. The 5 red stars I believe are on both sides of the cockpit and are related to kills. The "moon, bomb, and star" icons which I think you are referring to as Korean flags, are the mission marks and are the later styled design. A simpler design was used earlier in the war, not sure why, we just have the pictures / documentation to indicate this change took place. We are using the later design on this model.

Best regards

Nigel
[link=http://www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk]www.flightlinegraphics.co.uk[/link]

Old 09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
NCIS

Nigel,

I thank you very much for the information. Could you e-mail me the picture of Annie Mo and the Team dog for my Corsair. I don't draw well.

Thanks in advance,

Barry
E-mail: [email protected]
Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
M.L.Bordelon

Hello, Barry:
Nigel's e-mail of 9/19/08 at 7.29 A.M. shows both the pictures (Annie-Mo mascot and VF-11 insignia) you were just asking about. The Team Dog badge actually turned out to be a flight jacket patch and never appeared on an aircraft.
Each bomb/moon/star unit indicates a night interdiction mission completed. Guy had some hair-raising stories about close calls he had while on that type of mission. On one, he was firing his 20-mm cannon at some Chicom trucks on a mountain road and realized that the rounds (every fifth one a tracer) were bouncing back over the top of Annie-Mo's cockpit. He instantly pulled up and missed a mountaintop by about a yard. He said it scared the dickens out of him. My mom was there when he told my sisters and I about it many years later and she said "You never told me about that!" His reply was "Well, I didn't want you to worry."

Take care, Marc
Old 11-06-2008, 06:08 PM
dremelboy

hello there just to let you all know that graham is still alive lol lol !! and has been working realy hard for a change. i went round his the other knight to see how he was getting on with the xxl and was amazed with what i shaw so here it is hopefully its realy funny when you whatch it because you can here me and giggiling like little school kids hope you like

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=02qdgjoQYTM
Old 11-06-2008, 06:17 PM
pitsspecial

Yo Dremelboy,

That vid is soooo funny, you sound like you're up to no good lol!

Sounds like you had more fun without us here lol

Impressive though

Dave n Di
Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Jetjockgb

Hi Dave and Di,

Good to see you both tonight down at the Warbird Factory, you both look very well after your trip to Florida,back to the good old Britsh winter now!!!!.

Thanks Arron, for posting the vid of the canopy,I must of had one to many drams,with all that laughing.

Some more pics of Annie,just getting all the internals installed which just seems to take so long, won't be long before we start up the Hot Rod!!!

Cheers Graham.

Name:	Nl30035.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1067434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60370.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1067435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82299.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1067436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71799.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1067437  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.