Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Stuka-build details

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Stuka-build details

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: KMP Stuka-build details

Sorry to say it Kahloq, but regarding the CG issue, I agree with pc2299.

( not agreeing with the hash words....only the CG issue...)

If you look at this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGAni...2HSAXypvhP4%3D

This was after moving CG BACK 0.5 cm relative to the manual, to 13.5 cm, and elevator deflection to 1 cm.

The flaps setting is parallell to the flat underside of the wing on my Stuka , actually.

Flaps setting is really critical. I chrashed once when one of the flaps was 5 mm different from the other.

The plane lifted one wing at really low speed at takeoff, and careened out into the fields.

Regarding back-ordered or not.....maybe a cookie problem in IE?

Empty all temp files..... in Internet Explorer;

Tools->Internet Options->General and "Browsing History" ; Delete....
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 AM
pc2209

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad....go to VQ via the link Kahlog provided. Click on the "Pay Now" button. The first time you do it it doesn't show "backordered, but hit your back button and do it again and every time you hit "Pay Now" thereafter it will show "backordered." I can't remember if I called these people [I called a lot of places in the past] but I suppose I will try again. At one point TroyBuilt had me call the distributor for ESM here in the States and even they didn't have this canopy so I think the problem is pretty universal amongst all the retailers but I will give VQ a call and let you guys know.

What PO's me is that I think the retailer should carry certain parts for these airplanes that they know people are going to likely need replaced. Back when I was building mine there was a lot of discussion about the canopy being thin and brittle and breaking just by handling it. So I'm sure Troy Built and the other retailers were getting a lot of calls for it so if they even asked they never seem to be able to get China to respond but like I said before they always tell you that it's coming in on a crate. Now it's kind of frustrating to have a thousand buck tied up in an airplane and you can't fly it because of one little part and you think that one of these retailers [I've bought a lot of stuff from TroyBuilt] would try to help and be able to get something done. My original post was to let you guys know about the canopy and gig TroyBuilt a little for their lack of support to their customers.

If you guys will look at Kahlog's April 9th response to my posting: "Umm really? You cant find a replacement?" I think it is pretty easily recognized that Kahlog, in the way he worded his post, was not just suggesting a couple of links to try but also couldn't resist implying that I was sort of a dumbass since he had found the canopy so easily why hadn't I. This was sort of "stepping into it" with me 'cause, although he had no way of knowing, I have spent a lot of time, effort, and long distance phone call money already looking for the damn thing and VQ was not unknown to me. If I had been responding myself I personally would have just posted something like "have you tried this link" or maybe "I think I found a link where you can get one" but that is not what he did. I've been on this forum off and on for a long time and never had any problems before with anyone and most of the time people are pretty careful about how they word things so as not to offend. But if someone sends a little zing my way I don't have a problem sending one back. Now...if we drop this now maybe it will go away....
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Yes, please, drop it. You have made your points. Let's talk about Stukas.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pc2209

Chad....go to VQ via the link Kahlog provided. Click on the ''Pay Now'' button. The first time you do it it doesn't show ''backordered, but hit your back button and do it again and every time you hit ''Pay Now'' thereafter it will show ''backordered.'' I can't remember if I called these people [I called a lot of places in the past] but I suppose I will try again. At one point TroyBuilt had me call the distributor for ESM here in the States and even they didn't have this canopy so I think the problem is pretty universal amongst all the retailers but I will give VQ a call and let you guys know.

If you guys will look at Kahlog's April 9th response to my posting: ''Umm really? You cant find a replacement?'' I think it is pretty easily recognized that Kahlog, in the way he worded his post, was not just suggesting a couple of links to try but also couldn't resist implying that I was sort of a dumbass since he had found the canopy so easily why hadn't I. This was sort of ''stepping into it'' with me 'cause, although he had no way of knowing, I have spent a lot of time, effort, and long distance phone call money already looking for the damn thing and VQ was not unknown to me. If I had been responding myself I personally would have just posted something like ''have you tried this link'' or maybe ''I think I found a link where you can get one'' but that is not what he did. I've been on this forum off and on for a long time and never had any problems before with anyone and most of the time people are pretty careful about how they word things so as not to offend. But if someone sends a little zing my way I don't have a problem sending one back. Now...if we drop this now maybe it will go away....
BIG mistake you made was assuming intent. Since you now think your the know it all about VQs website, do you REALLY think someone is going to click pay now and then the back button and then pay now AGAIN for someone else? I mean really. Everything you've stated still makes you look moronic for attacking me when I did NOT attack you.
I posted links, showed you where they were and even tested them putting the stuff in my cart. Chad verified this and had the same NO backordered info. But..you seem to think someone else should do YOUR leg work and then you try to attack the person for not doing YOUR leg work.

AS for the CG....if you get your head out of your ass long enough, you would know that the manual has had different CG listings ove the years and...biggest fact of all here was......My stuka suffered the tail heavy incidence well over 3 years ago when people were stil ltrying to figure out what WAS the correct CG. So again. YOU FAIL!!.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
tunakuts3d

I have been reading the "give & take" here and one thing really stands out to me. The moderators are not watching this thread very much otherwise it would be shutdown or locked up.Enough already ! keep it up and you'll both get banned. The phrase " thin skinned to a fault " comes to mind,
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: pc2209
What PO's me is that I think the retailer should carry certain parts for these airplanes that they know people are going to likely need replaced. Back when I was building mine there was a lot of discussion about the canopy being thin and brittle and breaking just by handling it. So I'm sure Troy Built and the other retailers were getting a lot of calls for it so if they even asked they never seem to be able to get China to respond but like I said before they always tell you that it's coming in on a crate. Now it's kind of frustrating to have a thousand buck tied up in an airplane and you can't fly it because of one little part and you think that one of these retailers [I've bought a lot of stuff from TroyBuilt] would try to help and be able to get something done. My original post was to let you guys know about the canopy and gig TroyBuilt a little for their lack of support to their customers.
Per chance have you tried contacting Ty Brown directly? He' a member here at RCU so maybe a PM directly to him might get some results. Can't hurt to try.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Ty replied earlier and said that he still had the plug would be willing to pull a canopy.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Does anybody know, the length on the other parameters of the machine gun MG-81Z?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 AM
tunakuts3d

overall length 915mm, barrel length 475mm. dont really have any other dimensions, I used these and made a copy of the photos to the scale I needed and worked from there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46123.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1749186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32642.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1749187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35140.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1749188  
Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 AM
tunakuts3d

I should clarify the above post, I used drawings that I copied to the scale size. You can find these drawings in the archives at http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/index-englisch.htm. however they require a 20$ registration fee to access the archives. If you're interested in Luftwaffe history its worth every penny, the immense volume of photos and other documents is really great.
Paul
Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Prekin

Thank you very much!
The link is very good I will need it when I will start with my Bf-109.

Paul, are you working at ESM Stuka?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 AM
tunakuts3d

No, I have been trying to build a ziroli size D3 but life and things keep getting in the way. I have only been able to get a few cockpit details done.
Paul
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Prekin

Can you upload some pictures of the cockpit please?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
tunakuts3d

Do you mean of the full size D3 or what I have been able to accomplish? I have only made the Revi gunsight, an instrument panel mock-up, the radio receiver & transmitter, the gunners seat,and the circuit breaker panel on the right side, andthe MG81z.
Paul

Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Firepower R/C

So I am currently in the process of gluing my wings together, and after looking at and feeling the ply wing joiners I decided to make some new ones with better ply. The original joiners felt a little weak, and the outside plys (sp?) of wood were VERY thin, with the center ply being the only one with any tangible thickness as well as having the grain oriented in the proper direction. Have a look at the pictures to see what I mean. I also had to wallow out the 2 alignment pin holes in the center section that I made in order to get any decent alignment between all of the panels. I used the template and was very careful in aligning it properly while marking the holes, but it still didn't work out on the first go... oh well, it fits now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46767.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1749631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69150.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1749632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84219.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1749633  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
irocbsa

Don't worry about those plywood joiners, the wing on this thing is plenty strong. I had a terrible crosswind landing one time that resulted in a cartwheel in the middle of the runway. The plane literally went end over end, slamming each wing tip as it went. Not a scratch on her aside from the fuse being a bit dinged up. Amazing.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Firepower R/C

Well Irocbsa, I hope (heck, I know now) your joiner was better than mine! I broke one on purpose after I made new ones, and I have had toothpics that were stronger![X(] Inside it was a VERY rough, coarse grain. It delaminated when I applied force in a manner that would simulate a wing load. Oh well, I have moved on.

In general, I really like the plane (for an "ARF") and can't wait to fly it. The only problem is that I am still undecided on the powerplant!!! I have a Wolo siren that I want to mount inside the cowl chin facing forward... this is right where the engine cylinder would be. I don't want to go electric because I want the sound of an engine on this one, so NOW I am actually considering the unthinkable- a 2 stroke glow, side mounted with the stock muffler! [X(] Yeah the engine head will stick out, but everything else will fit that way. I was sizing it up today with a JBA 1.20 2 stroke that I have, and am going to sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
irocbsa

You gotta go carbon burner on this one! The sound of the siren screaming with the engine noise is just too sweet to pass up.

I was at the Toledo show this past weekend and picked up a PTE36 to swap onto the Stuka. I'm going to use the DLE30 that I was previously using for my ESM Fw-190. The PTE is going to fit beautifully. I can't believe it took the industry so darn long to come up with a rear carb, rear exhaust engine. It's the perfect answer to putting a gasser on a tightly cowled warbird.

If you play your cards right, you can use the gasser and tuck the siren right behind the firewall. I cut some access hatches in the side of the fuse to make it easier to get to. I also glassed in a piece of hard ply inside the fuse and screwed the siren to that. Seems to work well so far.

By the way, did you get my Paypal funds for the bombs and trapeze? I'm looking forward to getting those.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Firepower R/C

I justy noticed you sent it!! I will get 'er going.

Jeeze, I would love to get a PTE 36, but just don't have the funds right now. Did you reinforce your firewall at all? If so, what method did you use? I did cut an access hatch like you did and it really makes it nice to work on the front end! One other question, is your siren sealed inside the fuse, or is there a hole for the horn?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 PM
pc2209

Hey Irocbsa... I had just brought up the thing about the PTE 36 a few posts ago. I have two of these motors...one in a Stenson Reliant and was eyeballing putting the second in the Stuka [currently has a Evo26] because of the rear exhaust advantage. Did you actually see a plane with one in it? I haven't had time to measure my second 36 to see if it is too long to fit without major firewall reconstruction. PVC
Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 AM
irocbsa

Thanks Firepower. I did reinforce the firewall with some glass on the inside and outside of the fuse. Looking forward to mounting up that trapeze. Do you have any tips on mounting it and making it functional?

pc, your posts inspired me to pick up the engine! As far as mounting the PTE36 goes, I was able to use two washers behind the standoffs at the firewall and the prop hub sits at the exact same location as my DLE30. You should be able to do the same thing.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Firepower R/C

Well, I can offer you some pointers on installing the trapeze... it comes with 2 brackets that get glued into the front of the bottom fuselage. These brackets are what the trapeze is bolted to with some small bolts or a pin assembly that allows quick removal. I am experimenting with a magnetic hinge on mine which should allow for easy removal and damage protection in case it gets bumped. I don't know for sure if it will work or not, so I will report back when I know. The cowl will need to be trimmed where the trapeze mounts in order to put it in the scale location, but it isn't a big deal really.

As far as activation goes, there are several options that can be used. My installation is going to be passive, in that the trapeze will key to the bomb, and when the bomb is dropped the trapeze will swing forward until the bomb is released or it hits the limit of the trapeze's travel. For that I am using a little steel cable that goes from the plane to the trapeze to keep the trapeze from swinging too far forward. After the bomb drop, the trapeze will hang down (like I have seen in many pictures of the real thing) until some force is applied to it that makes it move towards the belly, such as a slight negative-g maneuver, roll, climb, or maybe even the prop blast or slipstream upon dive recovery. In any case, once the trapeze gets close to the belly a magnetic latch engages, which will hold the trapeze against the belly until a bomb is reloaded.

I have done many experiments with several different mock-ups and found this method to be the best bang for the buck in terms of function & simplicity. Other methods, such a one utilizing a spring-loaded trapeze with a servo activated retraction cable were tried, but in my opinion added too much complexity and weight, as well as more points of failure to the system. Simpler is better, and with the fancy system the installation rigging would get a little crazy.

The drop mechanism itself lies in the belly under the trapeze, and is part of a plastic molding that is attached to the belly. It is hooked up to a cable & a servo in the wing center that activates the bomb release.

I will be working on your trapeze tonight...

What about your siren, any openings to let the sound out? If not, how does it sound?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
irocbsa

Thanks for the tips! I think you're right, simpler is better in this case.

I did not cut any holes, and with a 4s 2000Mah Lipo driving the battery via a 50A brushed speed controller, you can't stand within 10ft of the thing without it hurting your ears.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Prekin

I would like to buy in the UK ESM wing cannons set for my Stuka. Does anybody know, where can I buy it in the UK?
I have found only this shop: http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/ but it looks like, the cannon set is out of stock.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM
nefariousrc
My Feedback: (2)

Has anybody had any issues with the hinges not going into the wing far enough?  I just started putting my winter camo stuka together and most of the hinges on one wing wont go in far enough.  I can see that the slot appears to be blocked with something but I'm not sure how to go about clearing it.  I've tried poking at it with my hobby knife but it's not budging.  It seems as there is a wood piece glued in the way.

Ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.