Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds over the Rockies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds over the Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:31 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warbirds over the Rockies

News for WOTR:
The Biplane pilot from Clovis with the D VIII was Les Covey.

Just about all the income and expense numbers are in and the event was a great success for the Love Air club. The number of pilots was 138. About 2000 meals were served.
All of the vendors were happy and successful. The event was covered in several of the northern Colorado papers and was featured on CH 2,4 7 & 9. All 4 of the major TV stations.

Jason Somes, the pilot who survived the mid-air in Reno is doing OK. He has had reconstructive surgery on his face and eye lid, but his eyes are OK.

I just signed off on the proof for a six page article in Fly RC. Model Airplane News will have their article ready this week as well. I know of two magazines that will feature the event in Europe. Propwash video has started editing the tape they took of the event.

Over $10,000 was given out to the pilots as prizes and another $5,000 was auctioned, raffled.
Brian
Old 10-18-2007, 08:13 AM
pljohnsn

This is fantastic. A great time for everybody, and sustainable for the host club. Thanks again to Brian, the club, and all the support people behind you guys that made it possible.

Speaking of auctions and raffles, check out www.loveairrc.org/P40/Auction.htm . It looks like the winner of the Skyshark P40-N raffle plane at WOTR is auctioning it off in order to buy a plane more suitable for him and his son, who've never flown RC before. Van did a beautiful job building that P40, all Ready to Fly. It deserves a good home.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Icemanjr92
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HEY GANG!

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL AT WOTR IN SEPTEMBER. IT IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER GREAT EVENT!
IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED UP PLEASE VISIT WWW.WARBIRDSOVERTHEROCKIES.COM AND SIGN UP. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? WOTR IS ONE OF THE BEST EVENTS IN THE WORLD AND ALSO IS REPRESENTED BY THE WORLD MINIATURE WARBIRD ASSOCIATION. (WWW.WMWA.ORG) WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? IT MEANS THAT THERES NO SIZE RESTRICTION SO EVERYONE CAN HAVE FUN!! HERES THE RULES....AS LONG AS ITS AN ACTUAL MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND CAN RISE OFF GROUND, YOU CAN FLY IT. NO UGLY STICKS IN GERMAN MARKINGS OR SPORT SCALE JETS THAT ARE PAINTED IN MILITARY MARKINGS WILL BE ALLOWED TO FLY. BRING THAT WARBIRD IN AUTHENTIC MARKINGS. WE ARE HERE TO HONOR THOSE PILOTS AND REPRESENT THER AIRCRAFT USED IN WORLD HISTORY. GET YOUR STUFF PACKED AND MARK IT ON YOUR CALENDER!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:24 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Colorado is a mecca of Warbird flying. Warbirds Over The Rockies is in it's fifth year and we expect it to be even better than last year. The Love Air Club has invested a lot of time and money in the last year. The runway is extended to 800 feet X 62 feet. In the last month, the club put another $15,000 into the grass, concrete in the infield in order to cut down on the dust. It looks fantastic. This years pyro show will be extended for all three days and it has been enhanced to include machine gun strafing runs along with the 30 foot fireball explosions. If you have a big bomber and want to participate in the noontime pyro show, bring it along

The event is designed for the warbird pilot that loves to fly. There is a short, exciting noontime show featuring a full size flyover and the the pyro show. THe vendor booth area has been enlarged also.
THis has become one of the largest warbird events in the country with press coverage in all of the major RC magazines. Propwash video will produce a DVD again this year. THe golden voice of RC, Sam Wright will be the announcer. Sam is the announcer of full size airshows along with the US Scale Masters, Florida Jets and Top Gun.

Over ten thousand dollars of of pilot prizes will be given out and auctioned. Every pilot will receive at least their entry fee in pilot prizes. Kits, radios batteries, retracts and alot more quality merch will be given away.

Friday night we will have a BBQ catered by Famous Daves BBQ.

We have a special guest for the Saturday night banquet who will give a short talk on his exploits in the airforce. He is 90 years old, flies RC turbines. He was a pilot of an un- armed B-17 during the attack on Pearl Harbor. He also owns the longest flight record in a piston plane. He flew from Hawaii to New York City non stop.

Come join the fun. Colorado is beautiful during September. You can register, buy banquet tickets and pay on line at www.warbirdsovertherockies.com

If you are staying at the official hotel, be sure to mention the event. It is the Comfort Inn and their contact info is on the web site

Brian
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Brian...you and Dino are killing me!!! My plane is broken. Mitch
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

MItch> Not broke that bad. I will send some ZAP. Just kidding. Sorry for the mishap at Top Gun.
WHy don't you come out anyway. I owe you a dinner after our bet on the world series
Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Icemanjr92

NO UGLY STICKS IN GERMAN MARKINGS OR SPORT SCALE JETS THAT ARE PAINTED IN MILITARY MARKINGS WILL BE ALLOWED TO FLY. BRING THAT WARBIRD IN AUTHENTIC MARKINGS.
How bout this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92780.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1001656  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: thunderbolt-RCU
This years pyro show will be extended for all three days and it has been enhanced to include machine gun strafing runs along with the 30 foot fireball explosions. If you have a big bomber and want to participate in the noontime pyro show, bring it along

Brian
Im guessing mine is a little too small for what you have in mind

Name:	Hf98012.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1001663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77935.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1001664  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

looks like a spitfire in capture german markings.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Icemanjr92
My Feedback: (73)

Yeah, I am thinking very cool... if it were purple, then Id say no. BRING IT!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
tfarmer96

ya looks like G-Pete started something last year. You should see his project for this year!

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/project...7/DSC00477.htm

This is just the wing. I can’t believe all the work he has put in it. Almost everything is functional.

As you can see mine is ready for the maiden.

Name:	He97035.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1001723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36010.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1001724  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Kahlog, I want to be there for the test flight of that B-17. Oh by the way the Fokker took 2nd at the scale masters qualifier. I certainly have room to improve but it was a great experience being my first scale attempt at competition.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Kahlog, I want to be there for the test flight of that B-17. Oh by the way the Fokker took 2nd at the scale masters qualifier. I certainly have room to improve but it was a great experience being my first scale attempt at competition.
The B-17 was test flown on Tues. 7/29/08. Video here...although not the greatest camera work in the beginning.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post10256385
Old 08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

ya looks like G-Pete started something last year. You should see his project for this year!

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/project...7/DSC00477.htm

This is just the wing. I can’t believe all the work he has put in it. Almost everything is functional.

As you can see mine is ready for the maiden.
I had wanted to do that very thing your doing on my own H9 1.50 P-51 and had actually painted the plane up, but, got a lot of flack from some ppl about it. That wasnt gonna deter me, however, I let the wife ultimately decide and she saw a picture of the "Bald Eagle" scheme and wanted the plane to look similar. So...thats why I did the Spitfire in German markings.

I did see G-pete's fuse for his new P47. Looks good so far.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:41 PM
tfarmer96

This is the tf 84 in p51 with a da50 in the nose, lados on the retracts, complete cockpit kit and of course glassed. Total weight ready to fly 22.2 lbs

Here are more photos.

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/project...p51/tfp51d.htm

Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 PM
kahloq

I assume your bringing it yes? It looks really nice. Mine weighs 18 pounds(a little smaller then the TF of course). I am no longer using the 3 blade prop as shown in this pic in order to get more speed. Using a 16x12 at the moment until the saito 220 loosens up more.

Name:	Jh15070.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1002067  
Old 08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
NCIS

Well not again this year,

I am still working on the Don Smith 1/4 scale Corsair and it's going about as I planned. SLOW!!! My 1/3 scale BUSA Sopwith Pup is ready for paint and finishing details but I want to bring them both when I come. I'll try again next year.[] The Corsair with all of my mod's is going to take at least another year or more before I would show it to anyone. Have a great time everybody.

Gibbs
Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 PM
tfarmer96

I plan on it. I just weathered it tonight and shot the clear on it. I am going to maiden it on Aug 8. The Da 50 was broke in in my wildhare 540 edge. She has 3 gallons through it so should be no worries there. Also no lead was used in the cg of this bird. That was just luck!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 AM
TimJ

oh yeah!!! this was a great event last year. I can not wait!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
tfarmer96

My 51 is ready to go. I just have to remember where the choke switch is.

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/video/tf/tfp51d/p51dm.wmv
Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

I have some bad news regarding Evan Quiros.
Thought you would want to know that Evan's sister along with her husband and two small children were kill on Friday when their Cessna crashed in the Colorado Mountains. The husband was an experienced pilot, but he took off in horrible weather out of Steamboat Springs , high in the Colorado Rockies.

They crashed into a 13,400 side of a mountain. No Survivors.

Evan is an accomplished warbird pilot who participates in many warbird events around the country. He flew last year at Warbirds Over The Rockies with his son MAverick and is a regular for many years at Bomber Field ,outside of Houston. The Quiros family owns a vacation home in Steamboat.

I have spoken with Evan several times over the weekend and he seems to be holding up pretty well.

Ron Berg is arranging flowers to be sent by fellow RC pilots . If any of you are interested, contact Ron at
Ron Berg. [email protected]

Here is the article from yesterday's Denver newspaper.
Brian OMeara

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...n-plane-crash/
Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
G-Pete

My condolences Evan, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Peter Fritsche and family

Allen, Texas
Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

Evan, you don't know me, but please allow me to send you my condolences. I have learned a lot from your postings on RCU and RCSB.

Tien-when Lo aka onewing
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
fw190d9

Guys, Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you all at the show in Sept.
Evan Q.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't even know what to say Evan, my sincerest condolances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.