Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:09 PM
SimonV6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Yeah agree it would have been real tail heavy at 150mm.
Still waiting for my con rod to arrive from Tower hobbies, starting wish I'd gone somewhere else, but have used them before and normally ok? i reckon its got lost but they are saying they can not replace lost orders untill 45 days have gone by ..
*** that means mid Oct before I get my order???

I can not find anyone in the uk who stocks those parts, and the USA is so much cheaper too....looks like the fw190 won't be flying anytime soon
Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 PM
SimonV6

Engine bits have come at last
so engine rebuild this weekend and fw190 flying next - weather permitting lol

Simon
Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 PM
STICK MODE

i bet you it was in a huge box tower go right over board with plastic tubes of air i always save them as it must be so rare at the price they charge for shipping next time im in the states ill bring them back and get refund lol
Old 09-17-2011, 12:48 PM
SimonV6

No it was in a small airmail envolope, which is strange why it took so much longer than the other ones, but still here now and nice and cheap too lol
although weather looking ok for Sunday, so will fly other models and save the engine build for non flying weather

Simon
Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 PM
STICK MODE

That would be a first for Tower lol
Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you Simon, and don't blame you for a bit for taking advantage of the good flying weather. I have a new aluminum box mount for my DLE55 () to put in my Pilot S'bach. With stellar weather, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

WSR update. Murphy's law has been the norm for those retracts and why should the return be any different. For some reason it also took almost a month just like the initial purchase. Must be the postal routing from here to there, idk. Michael has been very helpful and understanding.

I noticed they are now offering a complete set-up, chassis and actuator all-in-one. When I asked about them, Michael offered them in exchange. I took him up on it immediately! I wondered if the ESM chassis could have been the culprit from the get go. IDK about your sets but mine weren't the best in terms of material used and fit n finish. Looks pretty 5 ft away, but the metal is soft and shows signs of wear quick.

As for the 10S set-up...the giant foamy I took all my e-gear out of the FW for hasn't materialized. I guess the company ran into production issues. The 190 is still set-up for it so I may have another stab at it...for now. I still want to gas her up!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
SimonV6

What is this Gaint foamy you speak of Revy?
Got my fw190 engine rebuilt, next good day i will be down the site testing it
I bought a cheap foamy, T-28 55" wingspan to play with while my fw190 was out of action, I'm so happy with the electric set up that I might move over to the dark side with my next warbird, fed up of glow engines, well 4S anyway.
bought a benedini sound system for the foamy, to test how they perform, again waiting for a test day to get her into the air, to see how she sounds?

Simon
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Dowmer

Whoever is interested,
I'm doing a separate build thread on a complete makeover of a ESM FW-190 on Rcscalebuilder.com under the ARF Makeover Forum. In the past several months I've posted a few pics of it here, but I thought people might benefit from a electric conversion and scale detailng makeover of this kit in a separate Forum. I love this thread but it is getting pretty big and unruley. Of course, many things will be gleaned from this thread as it is a wealth of information. Hope to see you there.

Simon, I'm interested to hear about your Benedini sound system. Any pics how you set it up, weight, fit etc. I thought you needed a fairly large plane to handle the space and weight requirements?

Jason
Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 PM
STICK MODE

You got the link to that thread Jason cheers Frank
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Dowmer

Frank,
Here's the Link:
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...536&PN=1&TPN=1

Rcscalebuilder.com might require a login or30days free. I don't remember. I've been a member for a few years, but it is a great source of scale building information. My thread is located under the ARF makeover forum if you are on the homepage. Enjoy

Jason
Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 AM
SimonV6

ORIGINAL: Starmer

Whoever is interested,
I'm doing a separate build thread on a complete makeover of a ESM FW-190 on Rcscalebuilder.com under the ARF Makeover Forum. In the past several months I've posted a few pics of it here, but I thought people might benefit from a electric conversion and scale detailng makeover of this kit in a separate Forum. I love this thread but it is getting pretty big and unruley. Of course, many things will be gleaned from this thread as it is a wealth of information. Hope to see you there.

Simon, I'm interested to hear about your Benedini sound system. Any pics how you set it up, weight, fit etc. I thought you needed a fairly large plane to handle the space and weight requirements?

Jason
Jason, looking forward to it
The benedini stuff is real small and light, sounds module is 6g, and 2x40W amp is 35g, battery of your choice, can use flight if needed, but not more than 18v, I put a small cpu on my amp heatsink to keep cool, its the speakers that are the weights, and tricky to find.
I have put 4x28g (32mm dia - 5W - 150 -20000 fr) speakers on mine, but with bigger plane you could have bigger and more powerful sound with more bass notes too, as you can still hear the electric whine a little on mine difficult finding speakers powerfull enough yet small and light enough for a little plane like this?

here is a quick clip of my T-28 on its third sound test run
sounds a whole lot better than just electric imho, and this chip can be used in different planes as you can download loads of different engine sounds, the merlin sounds very nice too lol

http://youtu.be/tde5Hmm8ttg

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM
STICK MODE

Has any one got a set of SIRREA retract rams for the FW190 perhaps a set that was converted to actuators have given up trying to contact Darrell at sierra have talked to him once and explained the new set was leaking out of the end of the ram (overseas phone call ) and was told it would be replaced humm well over a month later no word, no response, to the emails I sent him (on his request) photos showing ram and leak etc to date not even a polite reply cost to my friend that bought them $720 New Zealand dollars for the retracts. So far he has a has a plane that I cant test fly for him due to air leak. My friends is more than prepared to pay cost of rams and shipping he just wants to get this FW in the air, any help here would be more than welcome
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOTR was going on this past weekend...I would think he had a booth there. Perhaps hes just been busy leading up to this event???

Casey
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Dowmer

Simon,
Nice T-28.  Any chance I could get some pictures of the setup, speaker location etc.  I'm new to this and I don't know much about the Benedini system or speakers.  It did have a nice sound though.  Where did you buy it and the speakers (Brand?).

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Revy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SimonV6

What is this Gaint foamy you speak of Revy?

Simon
The Giant Fuzion from Charger RC.

Stick mode, I have the stock ESM stuff that was modified for the WSR actuators. Do you need 'em? LMK because I have the WSR all-in-one units on thier way and won't need 'em.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
STICK MODE

Revy can you measure the ESM rams the sierra ones are 2 inches long by 5/8 wide with a threaded end there quite thin I have put a picture of the leaking one to give you some idea cheers Frank
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
STICK MODE

Sorry Revy won’t allow me to up load a pic right now
Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
STICK MODE

Casey
I would love to agree with you Darrell makes great retracts I run them in my FW 190 and a few other planes never had a problem with his retracts but his after sales service leaves a lot to be desired im not the only person to find this out sadly even getting in contact with him is hard ( and that’s not my words ) which is a shame as again there great retracts I was about to order a set for my FW190D9 mains plus rear about $700 US dollars =comes to about $900 nz dollars after this I ended up buying from another source. My poor mate has sunk over $2300 in to his FW and can’t fly it due to a ram that leaks worst than the titanic pretty poor day when a man can’t realise his dreams due to slack service I would welcome Darrell to step in any time and sort this out cheers Frank

ORIGINAL: glazier808

WOTR was going on this past weekend...I would think he had a booth there. Perhaps hes just been busy leading up to this event???

Casey
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 AM
STICK MODE

Simon 74th flight coming in under flap you sorted that OS yet cheers Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18017.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1667274  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM
SimonV6

NO got the bits, rebuilt it but it wont start?
waiting on the weekend to have a fiddle with it, before the damn thing sends me crazy lol

he is mine in the good days, landing on full flap too

If it plays up much more i will get either go gas with a DLE30, or Electric with a sound system?

have you painted yours Stick?

Name:	Jh16015.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1667326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75776.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1667327  
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM
STICK MODE

i got carried away with the air brush did camoflage spots underneath and on fuse then went in with oil streaks paint chips and finished with a semi flat clear same colors but very dirty and used great fun messing the thing up i realy like the detail work hey simon shove a DL 30 in yours there a great motor
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 AM
ya33a

Hi Guys,

I know it's a bit late in the game but I just scanned a couple of pictures you may like to use as reference material to detail your birds

Name:	Tr49076.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1667728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51433.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1667729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63039.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1667730  
Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 AM
SimonV6

Well at last my OS200 is back to full working order....just as the weather turns crap, typical
I hope to get her airbourne as soon as the winds bugger off lol

Simon
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
STICK MODE

Spring has sprung here in kiwi land and with it rain and wind havent had a chance to fly for 3 days now and im getting withdrawal signs working away on the D9 building new gun blister etc and up grading one of my jets the A8 sits ready one thing i did do on the A8 which is worth doing i cut 12mm of the bottom of the retract cover i just followed along the same lines (haveing read of a few of them tripping over on grass runways) you would hardly nice the change and i have never seen any signs of mine going over its nose just a heads up cheers

Name:	Yw67035.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1670651  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Estang

Revy,
 You ever get them electric retracts to work??

I did the maiden on my a month or so ago.  I had all the throws and ballanced as per the manual.
I did 5 or 6 high speed passes on the runway to get a feel of how the ground handeling would be. When I brought it back to the pits, I noticed that one of the screwn in the strut that stops the leg from rotating was comming out. I took the wheel off and retightened it. Refueled and headed back to the runway.

I pointed into the wind and run up the throtle, more and more as it picked up speed and left the ground. I needed one click down and 2 clicks left for level flight.. The DLE-30 up front has huge amounts of power for this bird.

I  found that the FW was very twitchy (my first real war bird). With very little inputs it was rolling a lot faster than I was expecting.

After I stopped shaking and really slowed down on the sticks, I decided to bring it in for a landing. As soon as the wheels touched down. one of the legs truned inside the retract causing a huge toe in on one side. The plane noised over and put a nice split in the top of the fuse just infront of the tail right along the seam. maybe a 3 inch crach. I will try to do a inside repair job on it this winter with some fiberglass cloth and epoxy.

I really thought the strut bolt was tight but I guess you really have to crank them down. I could hear them creaking as I turned the allen bolt. Live and learn I guess. The wings came out undamaged and the fuse is easy to repair if I can get my hand that far down into the tail. The paint job looks good as it did not chip, Just a crack along the seam.

I think I will put this plane up on hangers untill I get more wing time on some lighter toys.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.