Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 AM
STICK MODE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Estang what retracts have you got in the bird ?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Estang

stock ESM with Robart valve and hoses
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM
STICK MODE

humm thought so fit sirrea you wount look back i used esm retracts on another one i built for a guy they use the same metel that tooth paste tubes are made out off its just to soft, also check that other posting of mine and trim your retract covers back about 12 mm if you hold your plane level see the way the front angle is sitting that what will get snagged in any grass
Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
SimonV6

I agree with Stick, I tried the stock ESMo nes, but didn't reckon much to them, I now have Sierra ones and they are so much better
Old 10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the ESM retracts in several different planes and they work fine. Those bolts....you need to ADD locktite!!!!!! I agree Sierra is better, but the ESM work fine.

ESM P-51B esm gear
ESM ME-109E Sierra gear
ESM Me-109E esm gear(2nd plane...both still flying)
ESM ME-110 esm gear
ESm fw-190A esm gear

Ive not had one failure just locktite all the bolts and use silicon tape on the air cylinder threads.

I do have Sierra gear on other non ESM planes and am happy with them.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What are you guys using for wheels besides the heavy metal esm's? Got one on the way and putting the list together now. Are you guys painting the swastikas on the tail?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
kahloq

I have some vinyl decals of swastikas I had made by Callie-graffix in various sizes, so Ill use those. I had a ton of decals made for a Balsa USA DR-1 done up and at the same time had her make some swastikas and the total price was only $30 including shipping.

I also have the ESM wheels as Im not paying $100+ for glennis for this plane
Old 10-15-2011, 04:21 PM
SimonV6

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

What are you guys using for wheels besides the heavy metal esm's? Got one on the way and putting the list together now. Are you guys painting the swastikas on the tail?

I am using the heavy metal ESM's painted black I made my own decal of the swastika for the Tail

Simon
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 PM
kahloq

Im niot even using the tail wheel assembly ESM provides as the wire weakens over time. I found this out on my first one. Instead, Im uisng a 120 size tailwheel setup from hobbyking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95635.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1674916  
Old 10-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry Stickmode, I put them in a box somewhere and can't find the friggen thing anywhere! 

Estang, that sucks you split the fuse like that. I haven't touched the FW for a while. The new retracts I got do work a lot better than the first. It might have something to do with the ESM chassis because these all in one units from WSR are a ton smoother when operating. Some modification to get them to sit right will have to be done. They need a shim underneath to get the gear doors to sit flush. The chassis' mount sits a little lower in the pocket than the ESM's do. That and I needed to drill the inside diameter of the leg shims to 11mm. Michael will take care of that in the future.

I also want to put a 30cc or bigger (50cc twin maybe). There a few choices, the new Saito for example, hehehehe! But for now I have two planes that have my attention in the mean time. The club's AMR Trainer 20 is on the build table and my own 2.6m Comp ARF Edge 540 has dented the pocketbook somethin' fierce. The Mrs. would have a conniption fit if she saw all the invoices for that one![X(] 
Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I really wanted to put the XYZ 53cc twin in this plane as well, but I don't think there's any way that the engine will fit in the cowl. Have you taken any measurements?

Edit: Did some research and here's a quote from another post regarding the dimensions of the XYZ engine:

"It would be very tight in a 9"cowl. It measures just under 9"accross the spark plug caps approximately 1 1/2" above the prop shaft. (widest point is not level with the prop shaft). "

The width of the 70" ESM Fw-190's cowl at this point is 8.4". Looks some cutting would have to be done. I'm not sure it's a great option.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM
STICK MODE

ORIGINAL: Revy

Sorry Stickmode, I put them in a box somewhere and can't find the friggen thing anywhere!

Estang, that sucks you split the fuse like that. I haven't touched the FW for a while. The new retracts I got do work a lot better than the first. It might have something to do with the ESM chassis because these all in one units from WSR are a ton smoother when operating. Some modification to get them to sit right will have to be done. They need a shim underneath to get the gear doors to sit flush. The chassis' mount sits a little lower in the pocket than the ESM's do. That and I needed to drill the inside diameter of the leg shims to 11mm. Michael will take care of that in the future.

I also want to put a 30cc or bigger (50cc twin maybe). There a few choices, the new Saito for example, hehehehe! But for now I have two planes that have my attention in the mean time. The club's AMR Trainer 20 is on the build table and my own 2.6m Comp ARF Edge 540 has dented the pocketbook somethin' fierce. The Mrs. would have a conniption fit if she saw all the invoices for that one![X(]
The xyz is far to big for it Revy im currenty doing the ESM D9 with a xyz twin in it and the motor will just fit in.
my ESM190A8 runs the saito170r in her and that just fits with about 3 mm to spare on each pot a 30cc motor will power it with heaps of grunt to spare and still allow you room to fit it easy go to hobby king and see what they have i know the turangy 26cc is a real power house i have one in another plane here and is a grunter i used 2 battery packs placed right agenst the inside of the fire wall to get the COG right there the 4200 nmh packs from tower with them i had to add no dead weight to get the balance right heres a shot of her 94th take off i love this plane shes a keeper

Name:	Pn36996.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1675234  
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Mpizpilot

So mine just arrived. I know I'm a few years late concerning this thread, overall I'm about 85% satisfied with the plane. I'm kinda surprised to see the massive gaps in the former/fuse side joints. To be honest, I don't see a huge improvement over the older CMP versions that GSP was selling 10 years ago. I had the corsair and it's pretty much the same quality. I also have a Tucano from nitroplanes that is the same exact build type.

I'm not saying that there were no improvements made, but I guess I just expected a little more. Still, I'm happy and looking forward to working on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
STICK MODE

So mine just arrived. I know I'm a few years late concerning this thread, overall I'm about 85% satisfied with the plane. I'm kinda surprised to see the massive gaps in the former/fuse side joints. To be honest, I don't see a huge improvement over the older CMP versions that GSP was selling 10 years ago. I had the corsair and it's pretty much the same quality. I also have a Tucano from nitroplanes that is the same exact build type.

I'm not saying that there were no improvements made, but I guess I just expected a little more. Still, I'm happy and looking forward to working on it.
Firstly welcome aboard if I can be off any help PM me with your email and I can send pictures I took while building mine I did the cockpit kit and most of the mods where I felt I was not happy with it I also removed the gun hood and hid all the switches etc out of the way also I have just found another hobby site in china that are far better to deal with than hobby king they list the spinner for this dirt cheap https://www.sdshobby.net/Wholesale/s...s-1-sid-1.html the 3 inch one I replaced most of the hardware etc but have ended up with a better plane flys nice ( use the sky ) ignore there settings for throws and you will have a ball cheers Frank
Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Firstly welcome aboard if I can be off any help PM me with your email and I can send pictures I took while building mine I did the cockpit kit and most of the mods where I felt I was not happy with it I also removed the gun hood and hid all the switches etc out of the way also I have just found another hobby site in china that are far better to deal with than hobby king they list the spinner for this dirt cheap https://www.sdshobby.net/Wholesale/s...s-1-sid-1.html the 3 inch one I replaced most of the hardware etc but have ended up with a better plane flys nice ( use the sky ) ignore there settings for throws and you will have a ball cheers Frank
Where did you put your switches and charge jacks and the air fill for the retracts.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
STICK MODE

Picture tells a thousand words get a very thin exaco knife and carefully find the thin part of the gun hood where it attaches to the fuse slide the blade under and your on your way don’t worry about scratching it work the knife slowly around the glue holding it don’t over force it you will end up with the hood removed sand glue edges carefully and fit back on dry the gun hood will expand a wee bit I placed wooden formers in side later to stop that and also to fit the catch and pin the other end. the paint I used was humbrol satin123

Name:	Mk25630.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1676070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68507.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	1676071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67912.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1676072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91625.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1676073  
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Mpizpilot

Thanks, It'll be a bit before I actually dig into this one and like I said, I still like the plane just a bit taken back by some of the workmanship. The outside looks great, the wings seem fine its just the inside of the fuse thats a bit ugly. From what I understand I'll cutting away that former anyway to install the cockpit kit. Not sure if you can tell from the pics what I'm talking about.

Name:	Tr49082.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1676195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29531.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1676196  
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Dowmer

MPizpilot,
Take a look at my build / overhaul thread on RCSCALEBUILDER.COM . I have pictures and talk about installing a cockpit kit and various other mods. Hope this helps.
As far as the quality goes, I felt the same. Be careful, I actually poked my finger through the side of the fuse at the former at the back of the cockpit. Very thin. I reinforced with fiberglass on the inside. I figure you get what you pay for. Over all very good for the price but it pays to reinforce and add details. Still a good ARF overall.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...536&PN=1&TPN=1

Jason
Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
STICK MODE

i would go with Jason below your right that former gets cut out a fair bit to fit the cockpit but easy to reinforce check out Jason,s site lots of pics to give you some direction cheers Frank
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a quick tip for removing the gun cover from the fuse, if you use one of those segmented exacto knives and extend it out so it reaches all the areas that are glued you will get a clean release of the hood

I went after mine with a regular exacto knife and it didn't reach all the adhesive areas, and I did damage the hood just a little bit, when I reinforced the hood with a light weight fiberglass cloth I repaired the small tears by gluing them with CA, then like stickmode I made ribs to strengthen the hood and double as a brace to secure the hood in place.

BTW I wouldn't have thought of placing the receiver in the gun compartment there stick I think I will use that idea looks clean, I have been really dragging on the finish details on mine, our club is redoing the strip and I have gone back to school, so my time is limited these days,but I try to do a little bit each week, I have nearly completed the area under the hood so that's what inspired this posting.

I also installed hinges in the gun hood so it just flips up when I need to flip a switch, I also made a light ply mounting area for the switches in the gun area, I will post some pics later when I finish

Name:	Om33927.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1676373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18104.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1676374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42263.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1676375  
Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
STICK MODE

Looks good Tim yeh there,s heaps of stuff yo can shove under that hood air rx etc and switches your spot on about the blade a thin long one and its easy one thing you wan to do is put another sheet of balsa where the wings join in the wheel wells its very thin just there easy to do if you need pics let me know mate tells a thousand words it means i have a easy way to pick up wing a fitting it to fuse is great Frank
Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Revy

Revy can you measure the ESM rams the sierra ones are 2 inches long by 5/8 wide with a threaded end there quite thin I have put a picture of the leaking one to give you some idea cheers Frank

Guess what I found! The cylinder measures 2-9/16" x 5/8". You are welcome to the whole units, chassis and all. Let me know!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM
frisco2022
My Feedback: (16)

Hello everyone, I have been wanting to build this plane for some time now and I have few questions for you all. First of all the wing! I noticed in earlier pictures, earlier meaning years ago the wing tips were not that scale. They seem to be angled at the tips not rounded like the real one. I have been trying to find a current picture that shows them but I cannot. I know they fixed the fuse near the tail and I was wondering if they fixed that too. Are the wing tips still angled? Second of all what engine? I know the DLE30 is perfect for the plane but I want it to be as scale as possible with the least amount hanging out. What are you suggestions?? Lastly I plan on repainting the entire plane. What have you all used that is fuel proof? I did read somewhere that a guy used the good old testers model master and then sealed it with a product from Home Depot but I cannot remember what. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! I plan on doing this one here.

Name:	Ig13113.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1678333  
Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Has anyone found a good picture of the guns on top of the engine. I have went to countless sites but have not seen a really good picture of what they really look like. Also it looks like I'll have to paint those nice looking shiny wheels black like the real ones cause I have not seen any of them shiny looking. [&o]

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LC...0-A3-14f+s.jpg

here's a decent one I cant seem to find the exact pic I used to reproduce mine, I used several pics from the squadron signal books I have as well as some reference books that I keep handy

Name:	Ge96614.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1678527  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.