Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric Byron F-16 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Electric Byron F-16 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Electric Byron F-16 Build

Thanks, the reason I ask, is that I use those on all my control surfaces but I connect to them with a Sullivan locking clevis so there is no turning force on them. If the nylon piece turns just a tiny bit with the ball link on it will throw off your stab neutral setting. Interesting that it works for you.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 AM
nevster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave,
sent you a pm regarding the tuned pipe

Thanks
Nev
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Nevster,

I'm just about to respond.

I managed to get a little more work done of the last two days but i'm back at work now so i expect to slow up a fair bit[&o] I ave made the replacement former by making a template of the outside of the fuse and them trasfering the shape to lite-ply, i then adjusted the shape to suit and epoxy'd into place. I had to make the former in two sections to be able to get it into the fuse. I just epoxied the lower portion in this afternoon so tomorrow after work i can begin with the servo mount/installation for the rudder.

I might also try and pick up the paint for the aircraft tomorrow as well, and that way i can be ready to paint the fuse this weekend if i get that far.

My standard flow of packages has contiuned with the final items( for now) arriving today. th replacement canopy is in!!!! It's pretty thin on one side, which I'm not all that happy about but we'll see how it goes. the intake ducting that some bloke sold me in form the US doesn't fit![:@][:'(][&:] it's too small for the fan intake area and the intake at the front is a little too large. it can be made to work but not without a fair bit of work. so i'll have to shelf that idea for a while.

thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60995.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1025290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81824.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1025291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63356.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1025292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62489.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1025293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48220.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1025294  
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are either of you going to use the lexan thrust tube?

tecketec, where did you get the intake duct?

Don
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: hattend

Are either of you going to use the lexan thrust tube?

tecketec, where did you get the intake duct?

Don
Hey Hattend,

Yes, i will be using one. the original that was installed in the back end is damaged so i am trying to source replacement material to make one up for mine.

The intake duct came from some guy in the US who PM'd me and said he had an intake for a byron F-16 and it would just bolt in!!! it doesn't fit.[:@] i could do some work to it and make it happen, but not for the maiden..

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
The Ghost

Hi Dave, you did not need to put the lower half in, only the top half, see photo. Looking good, I'm looking at getting the paint to get into undercoat today, but with the wet down here at the moment I don't know when I will be able paint but I will be ready.

Cheers

Name:	Wu62054.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1025605  
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
sounds like this thing is going to be more expensive then you bargained on! Probably why the old ownder wanted to offload it.
cheers
Peter
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Hi Dave, you did not need to put the lower half in, only the top half, see photo. Looking good, I'm looking at getting the paint to get into undercoat today, but with the wet down here at the moment I don't know when I will be able paint but I will be ready.

Cheers

DOH!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Dave,
sounds like this thing is going to be more expensive then you bargained on! Probably why the old ownder wanted to offload it.
cheers
Peter

Hey Pete,

Yeah i little more but not by much.... I made a good portion of the amount i paid for the model selling the engine, so i'm still pretty much on budget. and i always know you end up spending more that you originally plan anyway.

Speaking of which, i'll need to get some of those you-beaut extensions off you as well as another battery pack for the R/X. can you still get into your store room?

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM
The Ghost

Dave, it sounds like the orignal builder built it as a hanger queen and only used enough to make it look like it would fly. I would ckeck the balance on the flying stabs and check out how well the vertical fin is glued to the fuse, won't hurt to check now rather than find out later.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
ticketec

Dave, it sounds like the orignal builder built it as a hanger queen and only used enough to make it look like it would fly. I would ckeck the balance on the flying stabs and check out how well the vertical fin is glued to the fuse, won't hurt to check now rather than find out later.

Cheers

Hey Ghost,

I've given the fin and all the hinged flight controls a good tug to make sure they are correctly attached and they seemed fine. I think the guy who i bought it off didn't put it together but it ended up being a hanger queen for him either way.

It seems like the jury is out was to whether you should balance flying stabs or not. some say yeah do it, but there are also reports that the original instructions told you to balance them but after there were some losses of this model, they removed that instructions from the manual. what the "don't balance" camp suggest is that it's better for there to be a consistent load on the linkages which reduces the likelyhood of flutter being induced...

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 AM
The Ghost

Well parts arrived today (only took two weeks[] Good ol' aussie post) First photo is motor with a new longer shaft fitted, old shaft and spare shaft material in bag. Second photo is the bearings for the front mount in stator unit. Third photo is the front mount with the bearing and motor mounted. Forth photo is unit with the fan fitted. Have tested with 6 cell pack (all I have at the moment) and it works great, not as loud as I thought. Will be deadly on 12 cell, can't wait[>:]. Still no more painting as it is still raining here today, should be clearing over the weekend, may get the painting done then.

Cheers

Name:	Db84679.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1026438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54679.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1026439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33118.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1026440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49220.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1026441  
Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yeah know what you mean. Hey what are you doing Friday 12th? I'm test flying the sea fury with Ron Ca t TMAC strip and need a camera man for the video. You up for it?

Had to move everything out of that storeroom as we turned it into an office.

All the gear is on a bench so can get to all the items no prob.

cheers
Peter
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
ticketec

Have tested with 6 cell pack (all I have at the moment) and it works great, not as loud as I thought. Will be deadly on 12 cell, can't wait[>:].

That's what i though whem mine was running on 6s too..... i'm wearing ear muffs for any more runs at 11s, so hold onto your socks mate, she's gonna be loud!!!

I have made a little more progress. i have made up the servo tray for the rudder servo and epoxied that into place. i made it bigger so i can attach the retract servo and valves later on down the track. i also checked out to see how she was coming along CoG wise, and she's pretty nose heavy, so i'll be putting the 2 R/X packs in front of the elevator servos so i don't have to add any dead weight.

I know that the byron manual said that the flying weight should be between 10 1/2-12lb's but i was just watching some you tube videos and they were stating closer to 20lb for the ready to fly weight??? I reckon mine will be closer to the 6kg (13lb) mark. the fuse with servos comes in at 2.9kg (6.4lb), add to that about 1.5kg (3.3lb) of batteries, pluss all the other bits and pieces like fan/motor, ESC, etc.. well we'll find out as she get's closer.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
The Ghost

Hi Dave, I don't know about it being loud, I have had and flown a kero burner so it should not be that loud. Still very wet[:@] down here today, but I did check the fitment of every thing in the model and wieghed it, came in at 3.3 kg's with every thing except batteries and paint, so I should be able to keep it light.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
ticketec

Hi Dave, I don't know about it being loud, I have had and flown a kero burner so it should not be that loud. Still very wet[:@] down here today, but I did check the fitment of every thing in the model and wieghed it, came in at 3.3 kg's with every thing except batteries and paint, so I should be able to keep it light.

Cheers

I must be getting too old then

3.3kg! thats really good.. i wonder why mine is so heavy then? maybe my scales are not reading right? that's the easy answer anyway Hummm Kero burner. i would love to get one, but they are just too expensive for me at the moment. I've never been able to find any turbines around second hand either? i would think that they would be a little more within reach if there were second hand ones available. where do they all go?

You motor install looks really good. when will you have your packs to run it up to full steam? Are you intending to fly yours before you finish painting it? i have been tossing the idea around. i have just finished the rudder and nose wheel servo hookup, so there are only a few minor jobs that would have to be completed before she could be flown. but it would be a few weeks more if i waited till after painting her to fly it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-06-2008, 05:30 PM
The Ghost

Dave, before you get a turbine check the regs that are in this country, and at your club and field, that is why I got rid of mine, to much crap to take with me to the field just for a quick flight. I have a couple of house hold bills to get rid of at the moment, but should have them within the next month or so, I could borrow a 6 cell pack from a mate of mine to see but the wait will be worth it. Never flown a model not finished, so I wont start now, as to the noise I am allmost deaf now so that may be the difference. The sun is trying to look through the clouds today so maybe the weather is going to brake and I may be able to get some painting done. Anyway I'm of to the field for a few flights.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
ticketec

Yeah i've seen the cases of stuff some of the guys bring out to have a flight with a turbine, but that still doesn't outweight the cool factor for me... and also i't getting to beone of the final frontier for me having flown a fair few different types of models over my modelling time.

As for the quick and easy aspect, that's why i have a good cache of park fliers. don't even have to bother going down to the field to get a fix. the local schools oval is walking distance and is great fun for an after work weekday flight. Nothing is easier than a park flier.

I was just on rcgroups checking out an EDF conversion of the Yellow A/C F-16 done by a guy in Western Australia. he's flying around at 6.2kg with 11+lb thrust and the yellow is about the same size as the byron, so i'll be aiming to keep under that figure. his flies really nicely, and like he has done, i have a lighting kit coming in for mine! it just looks so good!!

I'll post pic's when it comes in.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-07-2008, 02:39 AM
ticketec

I just re-weight her, and she is about 3.8kg with everything but the batteries onboard and paint as well... that's 600gms heavier than yours. i going hunting for the extra weight now

that should put me at around the 12lb ready to fly...

I just replaced the R/H wings locating dowl from the kit included one to the carbon tube i used on the L/h side because it's far more secure. I've also decided to hold my canopy down with magnets instead of the screw the manual talks about. Just have to work uot how many i will want to use. i'm thinking about 4 of them, but might more.

I also oped up the gun port and i will use this incoming air to cool the ESC.

Hey ghost are you gonig to use 2 r/x packs or just one?

Thanks

dave
Old 09-07-2008, 02:53 AM
The Ghost

Dave, remember that these were hand layed up fuses so the weight could be there. I will only be using one RX pack (2 cell 2500mah with voltage reg) it is all that I have used even in the kero burner, only have 3 servos in this model and only 2 (flying stabs) will be used 80% of the time so with a volt spy for the 2 cell pack it will not be a problem. No use adding more weight.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

i can just see Dave with dremel in hand here weight , weight , weight come to daddy!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:36 AM
The Ghost

Well the weather cleared enough this arvo that I got a layer of primer/surfacer on the wings. will wait untill tommorow arvo before I start the sanding, if the weather is OK in the morning I will start on the fuse, then will fill all the panel lines as I have an idea now about the final paint, (but don't ask as it is a secret[>:]).

Cheers
Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

i can just see Dave with dremel in hand here weight , weight , weight come to daddy!!!

Dremel??? that's for the little kids, grinder to get this porker to shed a few

Humm, been thinking this over, i might even use a BEC and save the weight of an R/X pack altogther. That way i have the redundancy of dual battery packs but no extra weight. the only other drama was that i was inteding to use the R/x pack to balance the model because she's pretty nose heavy, going to have to find something else to throw back out there for balance instead....

thanks

dave
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 AM
The Ghost

Hi all, rubbed out the wings applied the spot putty where needed and then got the second coat of primer/surfacer on. Not raining and the sun is even out, but it is blowing a gale here and as I don't have the room to paint out of the weahter, the fuse will just have to wait for another day.

Cheers

Name:	Ig13126.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1028755  
Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 AM
The Ghost

Rubbed out both wings again and then applied last coat of primer/surfacer, will leave now untill I get the fuse to the same point and then will rub out and apply the white under coat.

Cheers

Name:	Sq47916.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1029502  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.