Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:08 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't tell me what it looks like, my imagination is already running wild. Since I am a Governor Christie fan, it looks like one of my Democratic friends took a dump on my wing panel. O'well, after the smell goes away, looks like it will be clean sailing, oooops, I mean clean sanding to match it up then later to narrow the gap to paper width. I'm working guys, can't take the smile off my face. O'God, let it look similar to Peter's Avenger, at least, just similar. Smile. Chic
Old 11-09-2013, 06:15 PM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good, Chic!

Keep up the good work!

Noah
Old 11-10-2013, 03:36 AM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chic,
Looking good, but what's the brown stuff? We used epoxy resin and micro balloons for the wing match.
Another washout today, winds at the field will be 15 - 25 with gusts to 35, not even entertaining the thought of flying the Avenger.
Depending on whether or not I get a flight with my Venus I should have the ailerons affixed to the wing today and be able to run the additional wiring for the wing tip lights and landing light.
Hope you guys are having better luck with your weather.
Larry
Old 11-10-2013, 05:43 AM
peter w h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give'em hell Chic.

Flap wells look Awesome!

Concerned about your choice of fillers.

Peter
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 AM
lkahn4

Noah,
How's the new job working out?
What happened to the F7?
Winds were crazy at the field, steady 20 with gusts to 30-35, can't catch a break but on the upside I will get some more build time in on the Trojan

Larry
Old 11-10-2013, 08:35 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
As a fellow Christie fan (90% of the time), let me say I wasn't sure if a cat or Dem got into your workshop.
As for the smell, I have a 55 gallon drum of Febreeze I can let you borrow...LOL
But it is looking good

Larry
Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 AM
redtail

Hi guys, thanks for the motivation. The filler, I'm smiling, I use Prather Micro Ballons (old school - chocolate brown in color) and West Systems Epoxy, tooooo old to change. Sands very well. Febreeze, 55 gallons, not sure that will be enough, that's funny.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've some old Dave Brown phenolic micro balloons (red oxide color). Any hunches of mixing with Zpoxy finishing resin and get a sandable finish?

Ray W
Old 11-10-2013, 12:28 PM
redtail

It's all good. If I remember Dave's is also labeled Phenolic Microballoons. Therefore, it should mix real well with ZPoxy and give you a great sandable finish. I have several more scoops of the reddish brown stuff left so I am about to order some more from a company in Washington State. I like the brown stuff because I like seeing where I am putting the brown putty on the airframe, have never used the white microballoons. Ha, ha, ha, now that is an inside joke. Stay well guys. About to start sanding. Chic
Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 PM
butlern

Hey Larry,

F7F is just in need of TLC. She's not a "goner," but I need to rework the wing mounts. They're just not quite strong enough for 69.5 lbs of twin-engine "beastiness." I over-build (and seriously over-powered) that model!!

Chic, get sanding, man!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Ranger1-00

CHIC, Happy Veterans day. Thanks for all you and your dad have done for our country. Now get back to sanding. I'm tired of looking at the wing, I wanna see the rest of it! -- Barrett
Old 11-11-2013, 05:46 PM
redtail

Thanks Colonel, my respect and honor to men like yourself who still have the sand of the middle east in your boots. Sanding, heck I hardly have any fingerprints left as it is. Stay well guys-------- all of you guys. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 11-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Kinner

Anyone ever try or seen the results of a wing using Fliteskin? I'm tempted as the wings and torpedo doors look like good candidates for some. I May give it a go but the expense may will be negated by the costs of the traditional skinning with balsa sheet.

http://www.fliteskin.com/

Ray W.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Ranger1-00

CHIC, Let's see a pic or two of your wings....I'm sure you've sanded the micro-poop off by now! Are you getting ready for the Fuse yet? I've got my big Yak out of the crate and back together. 're-maiden is tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 AM
jdeluyck
My Feedback: (6)

I have been watching this tread for quite a while, saving my pennies so that I can build this airplane. I purchased the plans, cut kit, and fiberglass parts from Charlie quite a while ago, and I am just now getting around to starting the build of my TBM...

I have a question for Noah and Peter. If you had it to do over again would you chose the Moki 150cc for the power plant? I plan to build the airplane for competition, so I am a bit concerned about fitting the engine in the cowl. Peter, I know you won at Toledo with your TBM, so I would like to see how you fit the engine into the cowl. Noah, is the power better than say a DA 85? Are there any maintenance problems with the engine? What was the final weight, and does it "fly heavy"? Thanks for indulging me with these questions

I thought I had made up my mind to use a DA 85, but then I went to Monster Planes... You just cannot beat the realistic sound of that radial engine

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 PM
butlern

Hey Jerry,

I would not hesitate to do it again... I have had some ups and downs with the motor firing on all 5 cylinders, but it's close to behind me. Even with a sub-optimally running Moki 150, the plane (at 50lbs) does fly very well. Yes, it does fly heavy, but that's just as a scale bomber should. I have never looped my model, but it manages nice barrel rolls with ease. I suspect I could loop it, but did the real Avenger loop? Doubtful. Probably never rolled (intentionally), either.

Regarding fit in the cowl, Peter did manage to fit the 150 with absolute enclosure. We'll have to wait for him to chime in. I suspect with more thought and consideration to engine thrust angles, mounting distance from cowl opening, etc... I could have managed to get *** to fit completely, too. But, once I chose my path there was no turning back.

If it's in your budget, go with the Moki. Ceratinly sounds like it's where your interest lies. Besides, the DA 85 will fly it like a sport plane, and if I know you, that's not what you're looking for. You can always sell the Moki and very easily put a DA85 in down the road... the other direction (swapping DA85 for a Moki) would not be easy to do without major surgery.

Get the Moki, I say!

Peter?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
RCHS1
My Feedback: (1)

How does one get ahold of one of these kits or plans nowadays?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 AM
peter w h

Originally Posted by butlern
Hey Jerry,

I would not hesitate to do it again... I have had some ups and downs with the motor firing on all 5 cylinders, but it's close to behind me. Even with a sub-optimally running Moki 150, the plane (at 50lbs) does fly very well. Yes, it does fly heavy, but that's just as a scale bomber should. I have never looped my model, but it manages nice barrel rolls with ease. I suspect I could loop it, but did the real Avenger loop? Doubtful. Probably never rolled (intentionally), either.

Regarding fit in the cowl, Peter did manage to fit the 150 with absolute enclosure. We'll have to wait for him to chime in. I suspect with more thought and consideration to engine thrust angles, mounting distance from cowl opening, etc... I could have managed to get *** to fit completely, too. But, once I chose my path there was no turning back.

If it's in your budget, go with the Moki. Ceratinly sounds like it's where your interest lies. Besides, the DA 85 will fly it like a sport plane, and if I know you, that's not what you're looking for. You can always sell the Moki and very easily put a DA85 in down the road... the other direction (swapping DA85 for a Moki) would not be easy to do without major surgery.

Get the Moki, I say!

Peter?
Could not have said it better my self.

The Moki is a squeeze and one side of the cowl needs to be persuaded but it can be done.

I as Noah choose to fly scale in a scale manner and she should fly "heavy",
trade the aerobatics for torpedo drops.

Once you have the Moki think of all the other planes you can stuff it into.

GET THE MOKI

Peter H
Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

The full scale TBM is a bit heavy on the controls and is a lot of work if flown agressively. It is very docile otherwise and easy to land. My uncle had six ex sprayer/firebombers and we restored and flew two. I flew the TBM twice but never got my type rating in it. I always flew the SNJ and N3N when we went to airshows. The TBM was a great airplane and I always liked the looks of them. I built up the canopies and turret domes on the airplanes we restored. The most dangerous thing about flying a TBM was falling off the wing when getting up to the cockpit. Don
Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 AM
jdeluyck
My Feedback: (6)

Noah and Peter,

Thanks for your insights. You are right I would likely not be happy with anything but the Moki... Looks like I need to save my pennies... You guys need to buy more graphics

Peter,

I understand that you are doing your part... Vikie says she is working on some graphics for a Harvard for you.

Don,

Thank you for your insight, it is always interesting to hear from someone who has flown the full sized replica
Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Kinner

Open questions: I found that my issue of Sierra gear for the TBF axles are not threaded. I can't find Sierra Precision link that works.

Does anyone have a link to Darrell so I could ask him or , secondly, does anyone know the thread size on the newer TBF gear axles?

No matter how close I'm to completing my current project, I still rifle through the pile of wood and play with the landing gear in great pre Christmas intensity.

Ray W.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Kinner
Open questions: I found that my issue of Sierra gear for the TBF axles are not threaded. I can't find Sierra Precision link that works.

Does anyone have a link to Darrell so I could ask him or , secondly, does anyone know the thread size on the newer TBF gear axles?

No matter how close I'm to completing my current project, I still rifle through the pile of wood and play with the landing gear in great pre Christmas intensity.

Ray W.
http://sierragiant.com will get you there. Don
Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Kinner

Indeed, thanks. I'll retire my old link

Ray W.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 AM
georgewaldrop
My Feedback: (28)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RCHS1
How does one get ahold of one of these kits or plans nowadays?
RCHS1,

I was wondering the same and, having remembered a recent post saying Charlies site was back up. I went looking and found that the site now shows to have been suspended. I did a google search and found this article...

http://www.theintell.com/obituaries/...9963196d9.html

Unfortunately for all of us who thought much of Charlie and his great plans, Charlie passed from this life earlier this week. The Article linked above gives a few details...

Fair Winds Charlie. you will be missed.

Last edited by georgewaldrop; 11-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Kinner

I'm stunned beyond belief.

RIP Charlie and condolences to the family.

Ray W.
Ladson, SC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.