Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: TBM 93

They were originals.[&o]

Dave
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM
swift375
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage to your Zero wingspar. From the look of it, the repair job should simple. After reading your post I went back and double check my landing gear unit. I got several flights on my Zero and with the additional fiberglass, epoxy, and tri stock reinforcement, everything seems to be in good order. I agree with you about the flight characteristic of the zero. It's the smoothest flyer in my fleet and with the G-62, there is plenty of power. I know what you mean about the weather up here in the NW. Hopefully it gets better so we can get some more stick time. I'll be flying my zero at the scale fly-in this weekend at the Cascade field and planning to fly a couple of flights with a fellow TBM Zero (green) and patrol the NW sky. Good luck with your repair on the Zero and looking foward to see your 190 this season.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
desilejf
My Feedback: (20)

I decided that the blue I put on the tail was too light and tooo much. Airbrushed that out and went to a deeper blue and much less o f it. Now I can build the thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35966.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1595780  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

John,

Thats a beauty for sure! Nice paintjob!

Casey
Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 AM
PSJDBF

That looks awesome ![X(].
Did some more on my upper wings today.

Name:	Sp45140.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1596078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47497.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1596079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16985.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1596080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39115.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1596081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11256.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1596082  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

You're planes looking good too!

Casey
Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 AM
PSJDBF

Thanks Casey, always scarey when you change/modify an already nice airframe[].
The next problem I'm facing is the chief finance officer has put a spend limit on me this month ( dont ya hate that, their way to sensible[&o] ) so a couple of scale bits I was looking at buying I'm now going to try to make myself.
The rails for the sliding canopy & doing the mod to mount the fuse guns will probably keep me going for a while anyway the way i'm going at the moment....SLOW & STEADY.
Cheers.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM
aeroram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wingspar, tore up my wing too on Sunday. My fault. Landed on our hard surface runway. Goodlanding but didn't let the speed bleed off before turning to taxi back. Drop the left wing tip and skipped sideways, put too much side load on the left gear and pushed the retract up through the top surface of the wing. I had fibberglassed the retract mounts so they stayed together, but broke some ribs and glue joints[] as well as the upper skin. The wood used in that area is really light in my opinion. I found no glue holding the center spar sheer web to the skin or spar. Rebuilt it with some ply replacement ribs and polyurethane glue. Should be better now.

Lesson learned-slow down, then turn.

Bob

ORIGINAL: wingspar

Got the engine problem sorted out. I put in 8 oz of oil in with one gallon makeing a 16 to 0ne oil ratio. Simply added another gallon of gas the engine ran great again. Weather was alittle windy but not to bad. No extra weight added to nose. Took of in about 30 feet. Tracked well on the ground. Only a couple click of ailereon was needed. The Zero flew very well with ''Zero'' ''sorry, could resist'' bad habits. Gear worked well with no problems. Stalls were very mild. It tended just to drop the nose and continue flying. Probably one of the better warbirds I've flown.

And then the landing. We have a grass field alittle on the rough side and it had just rained. Landing into a ten MPH headwind ground speed was low but just as the wheels kissed the ground the right axle snap off ripping out the gear. [:@]

I'm glad I reinforced the cowling as it would have never survived. I've got to rebuild the center section of the wing. Looking at the pieces very little of the actual wood broke. It was about 90 percent of the glue joints. Don't know what they used but I sure wouldn't recommend it.

Also I think I'll install bigger axles. probably wouldn't need to be done if flying off a paved surface or short cropped grass.

I'll start on the repair in a few weeks but i need to get some things done on my 190.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
wingspar

aeroram, sorry to here about your mishap. After repair of the wing what did you cover it with? I'm thinking of fiberglassing the center section. Were you able to match the paint color to the outer wings?

Dave
Old 04-20-2011, 04:16 PM
wingspar

As a side note I did flood whatever I could get at with thin CA but looking at the broken wing it appears that the glue they used kept the CA from wicking into the joint. Makes you fell better doing that but probably does little in making any of the glue joints stronger.

Dave
Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
aeroram
My Feedback: (7)

Dave, just finished sheeting last night. I plan on putting a layer of 1/2 oz fibreglass on first and blending into the finished section and priming. The original has a coth of some sort - probably fibreglass.

I think I can match the green paint by taking a piece of the original to Home Depot and getting them to mix it with their latex paint. Before I do that I'm toying with useing some Flite Metal aluminum I have to make it look like it is a field repair before it is painted. The airplane is weathered and looks like a combat veteran anyway. I'll let you know how this works out.

Bob

Name:	Ec88247.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1597126  
Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Heard from someone that this plane is going to be discontinued, that true?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 AM
desilejf
My Feedback: (20)

909 I talked to TBM a couple of days ago when I was ordering a spinner and asked them if they were out of this airframe. Whomever it was that I talked with said they were looking for another MFG of the airframe I assume in Asia.

Somewhere in this thread someone was looking for pipes for this bird and nothing that is around works and I made up a couple of plugs and cast pipes for my version, also filled in the oval sections on the cowl that represent the fasteners and made some scale pieces that I like much better.

This morning when I hung the G62 on the nose I was unhappy with the distance between the prop and the cowl so I cut out the firewall and backed the engine up 1/2 and inch. I hope this will give me a bit more carb clearance too. In the event that doesn't give me the correct clearance I will get the 90 deg carb mount to gain a bit of room up front.

Here is the link to the carb mounting hardware should anyone want to look into the same thing. http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/intakebends.html

Will post a pic of the bird thus far a bit later when the engine is remounted.

Also drilled and tapped the gear for 1/4 20 bolts to avoid the broken axle issue, now I hope the leg will hold up, always something around the corner when you modify.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultimateflying

I have the Green Version coming. I will have it later this month.

I was wondering what the problem is with the Servo mounted to the Tailwheel. I did a quick look threw the thread. I might have missed the reason for most people steering away from the servo on the Tailwheel. But I couldn't find a Reason for it!
Is it not strong enough, or just doesn't steer it well enough?

Also what is the Best way to strengthen the Main Gear Mounts?

Thanks
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
kidcrashalot

The gears will strip. The pull pull system works great. I haven't had any issues with mine
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Ultimateflying

ORIGINAL: kidcrashalot

The gears will strip. The pull pull system works great. I haven't had any issues with mine
kidcrashalot.
Thanks for the info. If there is a chance the gears will strip, then I will use the Pull Pull set-up for sure!!
Ultimateflying
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 AM
swift375
My Feedback: (4)

Go with the pull-pull system for the tail wheel. It's a easy modification and it has been working fine for me so far this season. Here are a couple of pictures of my Zero from a fly-in I attended this past weekend. I cannot take credit for the pictures.

Name:	Lj22301.jpg
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1603593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75327.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1603594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24825.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1603595  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Ultimateflying

What are you guys using for the Main Wheels? I was told when I ordered the plane to make sure they have Aluminum Hubs.

I havent had much luck finding a 5" Wheel with Aluiminum Hubs. Where did you purchase yours from?

Also I see that the Axels are weak!! What size should I use?

Thanks
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM
wingspar

I just used a standard 5" dubro wheel. I'll be installing a larger axle and thus drilling out the wheel also.

As a side note had a guy I know in a metal shop look at the axle. I'm told it's hard buy very brittle meaning it won't bend, just break.

Dave
Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Ultimateflying

Wingspar

Did you just use the Standard Nylon Hud Dubro Wheels?
If so do I really have to worry about trying to find a Aluminum Hub Wheel?
When you install the larger axels, what Diameter of axel are you going to install?

I don't have my Zero yet so I don't know what size the axels are to begin with, and what size you can go up to!
Thanks
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
kidcrashalot

Trevor, I used skylite wheels. I used the nylon hubs but they do have aluminum. I didn't increase the axel size on mine I found a socket head machine screw that was the correct size. So far so good on the axels.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
wingspar

Just the standard dubro nylon wheel. I don't know why you have to use a al. wheel as this plane is light for its size.

Axle size is 3/16. I'm thinking of changing it to 1/4". Or just use a good grade 5 or 8 3/16" bolt. I'm not planing on flying it again until the later part of the month so I've got time to think about it.

Dave

Update: I'm probably going to do the same as Greg did on the axles.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
PSJDBF

Did you guys use the control horns provided in the kit ,if so did you slot the said control & epoxy in the horn ?, has anyone had any issues of them coming out or loose ?.
I got my flexi pipe's in the mail the other day & happily they are a perfect snug fit on the headers, found some old hover pipes at work that I have cut/shaped for the two lower exhaust's as on the A6M3 and plan on using rescue tape to attach the flexi pipes to the inside of the fake exhaust's so they will sorta be functional.
Cheers Guys , watching with interest.
Steff.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

I used the control horns provided and have had no issues at all.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
wingspar

Mine is built mostly stock. Control horn were glued in and haven't come loose yet but doesn't mean much until a year or so goes by.

Also I installed the tailwheel servo as shown in the manual but it was a snug fit and I just glued it in. As there was only one control horn on the tailwheel steering, I made one for the other side with some 1/8" 5 ply plywood. I then hooked it up with springs to the servo. Ground steering was good and the springs should elimate any possibility of servo gears being stripped.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.