Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Goose's H9 F4U Corsair ARF bash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Goose's H9 F4U Corsair ARF bash

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goose's H9 F4U Corsair ARF bash

I didn't progress the bash tonight but did plenty of thinking and research.

I need to rescribe the flap lines on my wings as shrinking the drawings to 1/8th scale is not accurate enough, they need to be 1:7.6 (& 1:8.6 for the fuse).

I will sort that out over the weekend along with figuring out the RDS system, joining the wings and other details.

Cheers!

Goose

PS: Looking for a supplier of double sided PCB board that will ship to Canada to build a scale tailwheel per Luke's design. Let me know!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

goose, i used the futaba 3010, 90oz @ 6 volts. there are some specs that tell you how much torque you will need depending on the angle of your bend going into the pocket. i haven't read too much into it. on my kodor p-47 i have the plastic drives using a standard 3004. I havent had any problems with them but when i was setting up the kondor 47 i had trouble with the setscrew stripping the plastic. i dont remember how i fixed it but i remember adding another screw opposite of the stock one.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 AM
v6goose

Hey Jeff...

Thanks for that. I recently bought over $600 bucks worth of servos for my Ultimate project and dont want to buy more.

I have a HS625MG here and will look at adding another to make the flap pair if its up to the task.

I bought the HD RDS system for the Mustang and think it is perhaps a little overkill for this model but I dont want to spend more $.

The couplers are aluminium and look solid like the SC ones. I will try and find the specs for torque.

I'll get into it this weekend.

Cheers

Goose
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Garthwood

The Goose been busy...................excellent mod. Too bad you just started this recently. I had seen cj's and craig's but I was'nt so sure if I should do the same. Being the first warbird I figured I'll try the flap mod first and keep it light. Your progress pictures are great. My flaps/Ailerons/Elevator/Rudder servos are FUTABA 9202, using an SR 1500 Mah 5 cell 6v. battery. Retract/throttle servos are the Futaba standard 3004.
Nice workshop you have mate and just keep us informed with your wing build up etc.... You have now commited yourself and I'm sure you just feel the pressure building up [sm=thumbup.gif] .

Great thread.

Garthwood.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
v6goose

Hey Garth....

Cheers and thanks for your info.

I didn't get anything done this past weekend as my previous project ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8401594/tm.htm]Silver Dart replica for the museum[/link]) consumed all my time with flight tests prior to celebrations due this Sunday.

The dart will consume the next 2-3 days, but I will be back into both my projects by the end of the week.

Yes about the pressure, but only on myself Once the covering has been ripped off you are committed.

Q: Does anyone have an accurate drawing of the flap airfoil? Cheers.

Goose

Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some shots from my best book.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81633.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1137050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12396.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1137051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59500.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1137052  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM
v6goose

Great! Thanks bud...

Goose
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: v6goose

Hey Garth....

Cheers and thanks for your info.

I didn't get anything done this past weekend as my previous project ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8401594/tm.htm]Silver Dart replica for the museum[/link]) consumed all my time with flight tests prior to celebrations due this Sunday.

The dart will consume the next 2-3 days, but I will be back into both my projects by the end of the week.

Yes about the pressure, but only on myself Once the covering has been ripped off you are committed.

Q: Does anyone have an accurate drawing of the flap airfoil? Cheers.

Goose

Sorry Goose can't be of help re your question. My flaps are the original airfoil that I cut off the wings, I then added LE. I just had to make sure that the flaps's airfoil follows that part of wing aft the wheel well airfoil. This part was the most critical part of the mod. No wonder H9 did not include flaps. Some might have rebuilt the flaps, but I think they kept the ribs that were cut for reference.
I did not modify the centre wing part. I figured I was going to run into more design problems. Is the size of your wings reduced now ?.

By the way your Silver Dart replica that you guys are building for the Ottawa War Museum looks great, I have not read all the thread, but I'll will later. Our daughter took us to the museum last May. As a matter of fact I bought a Corsair Tee-shirt from there and the Corsair book.

Garthwood.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Here are some shots from my best book.
tevans55..............what's the name of your best book ? great example.
Thanks

Garthwood.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
v6goose

No worries Garth...

Tevans pics are enough.

I am doing the same as you with regard to chopping the flaps off and reusing them, I wanted to see the profile because I remember the LE of the flap not being simply round and/or centered.

Yes my wings are about 1/2" shorter span.

Thanks for your interest in the silver dart.

Yeah! The gift shop at the museum is a very dangerous place!

Cheers

Goose
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Great Book of World War II Airplanes - Bonanza Books - Copywrite 1984 by Zokeisha Publications Ltd.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
v6goose

Oh yeah, look at that!

Thanks Chad... perfect.

In fact, that pushrod is similar to how I am planning to actuate mine.

I am going to connect the RDS system to the centre flap and use the blanking plate for the centre-outer flap and something else for the centre-inner.

Cheers

Goose

PS: Do you think that is full down flap or zero hydraulic pressure flaps down? (assuming there is a difference). Looks like a lot!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: tevans55

The Great Book of World War II Airplanes - Bonanza Books - Copywrite 1984 by Zokeisha Publications Ltd.
tevans55.............thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Garthwood

VGOOSE.................. (1) Picture after cutting in preparation for the flaps. (2) Profile of flap LE. I built up the flaps one wing at a time. I seperated the flaps (cut) after I have formed and sanded the LE of the flaps. It is much easier doing it this way. When I finished the sanding then i seperated the flaps. I made a profile (airfoil, templates) traced on a piece of board for the outboard, Inboard for reference for the second wing. After seperating the flaps, I also made profile (airfoil, templates) traced on a piece of cardboard. It will reduce the guessing. I'm sure you know all this from your experience, but I thought I'll mention this. That was why it took me this long to complete the flaps. It was my first warbird and it is my first flap mod.

Garthwood.

P.S. I'm not sure if you had seen both pictures before.

Name:	Us53480.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1137112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69114.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1137113  
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
v6goose

Hey Garth...

Good stuff, thanks for that.

I haven't seen pic 1 before... did you cut the top skin back to cater for your LE?

I had planned to cut both top and bottom the same length from the TE.

Cheers

Goose
Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Garthwood

Hey Garth...

Good stuff, thanks for that.

I haven't seen pic 1 before... did you cut the top skin back to cater for your LE?

I had planned to cut both top and bottom the same length from the TE.

Cheers\

Q.#1 I did that for the first wing (my mistake) but worked out just the same, I then placed over the bottom skin the LE build up.
But I kept the whole flap together until I had the LE formed.

For the 2Nd. wing I did what you're planning to do, cut top/bottom skin the same length. It was much easier going this route, reduced some sanding. I followed the TF hinging procedure. I added blocks inside the flap for better hinging. I used Robarts pin hinges. You probably are going to use a different method. Placement of the hinges is important. For my mid flap I placed my hinges 1/2" from the edges (equal spacing). For the Outer and Inboard it's at 1" from the edge.

I also checked out 3 view drawings to follow the flap lines.
Garthwood.

Goose

Name:	Wu60566.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1137229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17527.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1137230  
Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Garthwood

Goose forgot to mention.......................Picture #1 #2, was my first wing that was modified.

Garthwood.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
v6goose

Thanks bud...

G
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
v6goose

So I didn't feel like fixing the Silver Dart tonight and put the Corsair back on the bench.

The scales of the H9 are all over the place and this is where I usually get hung up on details. The wing is too skinny for its span, the ailerons are the wrong length blah blah.

This time I am going to fudge it and get over it in order to get it done.

I didn't rescribe the flap lines as they were within a couple of mm *cringe*

I did this two ways... a right way and a wrong way - learn from it.

The first picture is the wrong way. I marked top and bottom the same distance from the TE and of course and angle is not symetrical so the top distance is shorter than the bottom.

I also used a flexible ruler to mark the centre and inboard flaps. Lesson one - compound angles... [:@] I cut through top and bottom with a knife and used a fine razor saw for all the vertical parts. Not good. The angle needs to be consistent through the centre and inboard flaps (most curved) so you need to roll the wing as it is cut.

I obviously need more sleep as this is a newby mistake.

Name:	Vt56121.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1137759  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
v6goose

so plan number two for the other wing is...

You guessed it... into the scroll saw!

This worked way better even though the cut still isnt equal between the angle of the TE...

Second pic shows the bad way on the left, good on the right. Notice the black line where the flaps were cut.

Third pic shows the differing internal structures in our wings... interesting...

Name:	Hf97503.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1137762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30030.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1137763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54137.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1137764  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
v6goose

So I patched up the bad side and got everything where I wanted it.

Unlike others, I decided to cut the outboard flap off the other two. There is a distinct change of angle when working on the LE's of the flaps and it seems like a natural place to break them.

Next I cut 9.5mm off all the flaps to accomodate the new flap LE's

The last two shots for tonight show the centre/inboard flaps being glued to the 9.5mm medium balsa sheet that will become the LE.

The outboard flaps are not here because I am figuring out how to install the RDS pockets which will happen next...

Cheers

Goose

Name:	Fd91871.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1137766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77666.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1137767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31568.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1137768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63975.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1137769  
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goose,

Good stuff here! I too have been doing similar things with my flap on my ARF's. I agree with you on how similar parts on these ARF's are sometimes completely different, when they were built. I was sanding my leading edge on my flaps on my KMP Husky and noticed, that when they built the leading edge spar, it wasn't the the same height and one of the ribs in the flap had been glued in upside down??? Mind you this is a flat bottom wing! YIKES!

I too also find myself standing in front of my bench almost paralized trying to figure out some of the dimensions and trying to figure out how things will look and work two steps ahead of where I am at. This sometimes cause considerable frustration.

Looking at the pictures supplied early of the actual flap detail, have you considered building your own hinges, either out of built up ply or brass channel?

I love these ARF bash threads, keep up the good work and the more pictures. Threads like these are valuable to me, as I watch Hangar 9/Horizon Hobby on Ebay, sell their damaged airplanes, and sometimes Corsairs come up for sale.

M
Old 02-17-2009, 08:02 AM
v6goose

Hi Mimoore...

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Someone PM'd me and told me I was taking too many pictures... thats what you get when a photographer builds planes!

Haha... the Husky rib thing is funny and scary! Cheap labour eh...

Working through the inaccuracies is my primary objective, trying not to get stuck. Gotta relax!

Yes I have considered custom flap hinges. I like both the TF hinge point idea and the custom ones... right now I am leaning towards the custom ones... simple glass shapes built into the wing and flaps per the full size but that may change as do most things!

Cheers

Goose
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mimoore...

Someone PM'd me and told me I was taking too many pictures... thats what you get when a photographer builds planes!

Goose

I think the person who PMed you, must be OUT OF THEIR MINDS! Pictures are worth a thousand words! I use these threads like a wikipedia of "how to." I say if you got a camera use it! However, I don't want to see pictures of your dog, wife or the neighbors teenage daughter holding your model in some provocative pose. Bad Taste!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.