Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Goose's H9 F4U Corsair ARF bash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Goose's H9 F4U Corsair ARF bash

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goose's H9 F4U Corsair ARF bash

Ah...

*delete, delete, delete*

Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: v6goose

so plan number two for the other wing is...

You guessed it... into the scroll saw!

This worked way better even though the cut still isnt equal between the angle of the TE...

Second pic shows the bad way on the left, good on the right. Notice the black line where the flaps were cut.

Third pic shows the differing internal structures in our wings... interesting...

Yep.............your third picture quite different structureally, don't feel bad I came across the same thing. At first I thought I should rebuild this thing. The sheating is so thin that many times my fingers went through (patches in my pics) .

I removed to the point aft spar, then rebuilt from there the LE of the wing, I did not remove the top wing sheating though. I tackled one wing at a time and kept notes. It seems that you are doing better. You are lucky that you have the Craftsman scroll saw, I did mine all the way with a razor saw, which is more difficult as you can't cut through all the way like a scroll saw.
In the end I'm sure you will feel it was worth it. This Corsair is not perfectly built to scale, it is only a model. I would doubt if I had to build one to scale 100% if it will ever fly, things can go wrong in flight, and to lose it would be a shame. I added flaps because this is part of the beauty of this plane, and a Corsair without flaps is just another model.
Great job Goose.

Garthwood.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Garthwood

Goose.......................your explanation and pictures are great. Keep up the good work. This thread is all about the Hangar 9 Corsair bash, and pictures are part of it.
Great job mate.

Garthwood.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
v6goose

Hey Garth...

I'm not worried about the differing internals, it just amuses me and I wonder what the production line looks like

Yes the scroll saw worked pretty well but I did use all I had, that and a knife, scrollsaw blade, razor saw...

Incidentally, a really handy mod to a razor saw is to gently prise the backbone off and file the dimples flat. This allows you to slide the blade into a knife cut and is a lot better for these types of tasks.

Oh for sure, its stand off scale at best and I don't have unrealistic expectations, just want something different and don't have time to build the core.

Cheers mate...

Goose
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Garthwood

Hey Garth...

I'm not worried about the differing internals, it just amuses me and I wonder what the production line looks like

Yes the scroll saw worked pretty well but I did use all I had, that and a knife, scrollsaw blade, razor saw...

Incidentally, a really handy mod to a razor saw is to gently prise the backbone off and file the dimples flat. This allows you to slide the blade into a knife cut and is a lot better for these types of tasks.

Oh for sure, its stand off scale at best and I don't have unrealistic expectations, just want something different and don't have time to build the core.

Cheers mate...

Goose

Goose.............Thanks for the razor tip, I did notice that in one of your pics. Your H9 will look different with added flaps for sure.
Have you decided on retracts or are you using the ones prior to your mishap ?.

Garthwood.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
v6goose

I have a set of Century Jets that I had them modify (length of the strut) for the H9.

The investment ($) is one of the key reasons for a second version of the F4U for me

I love them. They look cool, work great and never let me down.

Yours?

Goose
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67801.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1137968  
Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

I may have missed something a bit back - when you trimmed the center section to conform to the wing saddle, did you make up for the "gap" that was left on either side between the newly cut center section and the wing panels? Did you make a separate rib, attach to the wing sections, and then sheet to close the gap? I hope I am making myself clear as I would think this would be needed when doing the flaps, especially the inboard flaps.

thanks! GREAT build and really NOT enough pics!! lol

randy
Old 02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
v6goose

Hey Bosssman...

You didn't miss anything, I haven't done it yet!

See [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8459393]picture three[/link] in this post, the gap is still there.

Right now the plan is to extend the TE from the wing to the centre section trying to keep it all in line.

Then the gap will be filled with medium-soft balsa sheet and sanded to fit.

I think this is where CJ added some incidence to the wing. Mine will stay pretty much as it is.

Not scale (full scale is +2deg) but my first one flew great, no need for me to screw around with it.

Cheers

Goose
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
v6goose

Well not much to report other than I am still moving ahead with this.

Tonight was the other project, but I did cut the centre and inboard flaps away from their new leading edge and marked the profile.

Yes, I know its not the scale profile... I didn't think it was necessary. Besides, I went to buy a mini spokeshave today and they were out of stock so that inside curve will have to wait till I figure out how to do it

Cheers

Goose

Name:	Pm34772.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1139427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10931.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1139428  
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM
v6goose

Little by little...

I finished up the flaps by cutting the inner and centre flaps apart with the scrollsaw and created endcaps where needed.

I ended up sanding the flap LE's by hand... they came out ok...

More tomorrow...

Name:	Hf99225.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1140088  
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
v6goose

So over a short break at work, I have been thinking about the controls for the flaps.

I have kinda built myself into a corner with the completion of the inboard and centre flaps with regard to hinging.

As I see it there are two options:

[ul][*] The scale way with making hinges from glass board or something, or[*] the TF way with using Robart hingepoints at 45 degrees to the flap LE.
[/ul]

Originally I was keen on option 1, now I am leaning the other way. The real ones look like hingepoints with some fairing... thats what I will do

I will need to figure out a spar for the hinges...

Cheers

Goose

Name:	Mk26754.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1140380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91069.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1140381  
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Goose,

Thanks for the effort, text and photos. You're doing a great job and I'm following closely for sure.

I'll be doing much of the same things to my H9 also. So, understandably, I appreciate anything and everything you share on your Thread.

Great drawings I see on your building bench. Where did you come buy them?

Charles
Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V6Goose,

Keep us posted on how your determine your actual location for the hinges. I'm not sure if you have thought about this, but you'll need to determine a point behind the leading edge for the flap hinge. The only method I've found that works, so far is to take some card stock and trace the outline of the flap and then trace your wing and simulate the actual movement of the flap, to determine the hinge point.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Avaiojet

Mimoore,

What does the leading edge have to do with the position or placement of the flaps? I'm at a loss here understanding that?

Also, have you seen the work "Luke" did with his Corsair?

Yes, I know Luke is from another planet, otherwise, how on earth can someone develop abilities such as his?

However, I suggest to anyone that has interest in adding flaps, to dig up Luke's Thread and view his methods. I'm almost sure, his build was the Royal Corsair kit, but flaps are flaps.

When I do my flaps, I'll dig his Thread up for sure. I miss his comments, information and explanation photos. The guy took excellent photos also and had an ability to explain each one individually.

Must be nice being from another world.

Good thing Luke's parts are from this planet.

Charles
Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
mimoore67

Charles,

I'm sorry I didn't explain the flap hinge location. If you hinge a flying surface on the leading edge, then leading edge pivots on that point. However, if you place the pivot of then hinge behind the leading on a surface, then the leading edge of that surface will rise or fall, not staying in the same plane. So on a flap, if you hinge on the bottom of the flap, behind the leading edge, as the flap is lowered the portion of the flap behind hinge goes lower, while the portion of the flap ahead of the hinge rises. Now, this is where a flap can aid in creating additional lift. A slotted flap, as I believe on a Corsair, the portion of the leading edge of the flap, as it is deployed, actually move closer to the top of the trailing edge of the wing, creating a smaller gap, than at the bottom of trailing edge of the wing, causing the airflow to be accelerated over the top portion of the flap, creating a certain amount of additional lift/wing area. Look at the first picture in post #61, you'll see how the flap has a smaller gap at the top of the flap, with top portion of the Corsair's trailing edge of the wing extending further back, creating a smaller gap, than a the bottom.

Please correct me if my physics are not correct and from what I have read and been taught during my pilot training days.

Great Thread! Oh, I'm also doing the same thing your doing V6Goose, except to a Marchetti SF-260, over in the ARF area.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: mimoore67

Charles,

I'm sorry I didn't explain the flap hinge location. If you hinge a flying surface on the leading edge, then leading edge pivots on that point. However, if you place the pivot of then hinge behind the leading on a surface, then the leading edge of that surface will rise or fall, not staying in the same plane. So on a flap, if you hinge on the bottom of the flap, behind the leading edge, as the flap is lowered the portion of the flap behind hinge goes lower, while the portion of the flap ahead of the hinge rises. Now, this is where a flap can aid in creating additional lift. A slotted flap, as I believe on a Corsair, the portion of the leading edge of the flap, as it is deployed, actually move closer to the top of the trailing edge of the wing, creating a smaller gap, than at the bottom of trailing edge of the wing, causing the airflow to be accelerated over the top portion of the flap, creating a certain amount of additional lift/wing area. Look at the first picture in post #61, you'll see how the flap has a smaller gap at the top of the flap, with top portion of the Corsair's trailing edge of the wing extending further back, creating a smaller gap, than a the bottom.

Please correct me if my physics are not correct and from what I have read and been taught during my pilot training days.

Great Thread! Oh, I'm also doing the same thing your doing V6Goose, except to a Marchetti SF-260, over in the ARF area.
Example of my H9 FLAPS with Robarts point hinges. The pictures, flaps at calculating hinge location, the mid flap is more critical to its hinge location, showing the gap created when deployed. I've shown these pictures on another thread. The hinging is the TF method.

Garthwood.

Name:	Bz79495.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1142128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31374.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1142129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49116.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1142130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58825.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1142131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37365.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1142132  
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Avaiojet

Thanks for the added explanation. I appreciate it.

You did a fine, actually great, job cloosing off the trailing edge area of your wing. Looks super with the flaps up or down.

Flaps look great also. The end piecing or capping will never be noticed when covered.

To think, I haven't as of yet, even started mine.

Woe is me!

Charles

Old 02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Thanks for the added explanation. I appreciate it.

You did a fine, actually great, job cloosing of the trailing edge area of your wing. Looks super with the flaps up or down.

Flaps look great also. The end piecing or capping will never be noticed when covered.

To think, I haven't as of yet, even started mine.

Woe is me!

Charles

Charles............Thanks for your nice comments. Planning and research like what you're doing is best, and once you get started it's not as bad as you might think. Many times I got all frustrated, and left the project for a few hours to get a break.
I've added a couple of more pics showing first with flaps covered , wing partly covered. The last picture the covering is completed.

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures.

Garthwood.

Name:	Jh16464.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1142317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97868.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1142318  
Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Avaiojet

Garthwood,

You did an absolute fine job in covering those flaps and the completed wing looks great! In record braking time!!

I really don't cover well with iron on, but I'm a killer with glass and paint.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

You mentioned "frustration." I don't do well with it either, and never did.

In fact, because of that, I have a tendency to bounce around from model to model, actually finishing none or very few. It's my MO.

This is why RCU Threads are important to me. These Threads by modelers certainly inspire me to put time into my projects. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't.

I honestly look forward to reading text, and looking at photos of the accomplishments made by other modelers who share. I still learn from these ideas, suggestions and talents, even at my old age of 62.

Having someone to share my progress and results with is especially important to me. This is why I'm in many Threads.

It's gteat just having other modelers interested in the same airplane as I am. This interest gives me the ambition to build and progress with a particular model.

I will say, I am, but I am not, looking forward to stripping down my H9 and starting my F2G project. which, BTW. is in another build started by another modeler interested in the F2G.

I will be involved with all these same changes with my model, and then some.

Thanks guys, and keep at it!

Charles
Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
mimoore67

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

You mentioned "frustration." I don't do well with it either, and never did. In fact, because of that, I have a tendency to bounce around from model to model, actually finishing none or very few.
Yes, that's me too! I read threads just like this to keep inspired. I have KMP Husky that I started and should be working on right now, but I got a new ARF on Friday and stopped and started working on it! Then I stripped off the crappy covering and now bashing it just like this Corsair thread!

I'm sick and need help!

M
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM
v6goose

Hey guys...

Firstly, thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate your interest and contributions. Like Aviojet , they inspire me to keep going and share the successes and failures of this bash.

Secondly, thanks Garth for your explaination of your flap work. Both you and MiMoore are correct on the flap discussion and for the record I will be following the TF/Garth method with hingepoints.

My plan to spend the whole weekend building didn't quite work out that way with all of Sunday being spent on the 100 year anniversary of flight in Canada celebration at the Canadian Museum of Aviation where we displayed the Silver Dart and family stuff.

I did however get some work done Friday night and some of Saturday. I will edit this post with pictures tonight.

Thanks again...

Goose
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Garthwood

Hey guys...

Firstly, thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate your interest and contributions. Like Aviojet , they inspire me to keep going and share the successes and failures of this bash.

Secondly, thanks Garth for your explaination of your flap work. Both you and MiMoore are correct on the flap discussion and for the record I will be following the TF/Garth method with hingepoints.

My plan to spend the whole weekend building didn't quite work out that way with all of Sunday being spent on the 100 year anniversary of flight in Canada celebration at the Canadian Museum of Aviation where we displayed the Silver Dart and family stuff.

I did however get some work done Friday night and some of Saturday. I will edit this post with pictures tonight.

Thanks again...

Goose
vgoose....................Hope you took some pictures of the Silver Dart. Keep us posted on the H9 flaps, take pics as you go along. They'll help a lot, sometimes you can see your mistakes in a picture. Digital photography is great mate. (Experience from shooting polaroids to check out layouts in advertising photography).
I'll be watching what you guys will be doing.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Garthwood

Avaiojet................thanks for your nice comments. Covering the Bent Wing requires some patience. I did not strip the covering at the tips, as I hate covering wing tips. It was a bit difficult to do the bent area, I had to do mine in three strips, but that's fine if doing panel lines.
Thanks for the vinyl offer, will send pm.

Garthwood
p.s. Don't feel bad, at 62 you're still a young man, just get started mate.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM
v6goose

Hey Garth...

For once, I didn't take my camera. There was coverage by A News and the Ottawa Sun.

Always taking pictures and agree with your statement (experience in shooting airshows, car races and calendar work )

There is Dart info on the [link=http://www.stetsonflyers.com]Stetson Flyers[/link] website.

There is also a build thread of sorts [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8401594/tm.htm]here...[/link]

Cheers!

Goose
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Garthwood

Hey Garth...

For once, I didn't take my camera. There was coverage by A News and the Ottawa Sun.

Always taking pictures and agree with your statement (experience in shooting airshows, car races and calendar work )

There is Dart info on the [link=http://www.stetsonflyers.com]Stetson Flyers[/link] website.

There is also a build thread of sorts [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8401594/tm.htm]here...[/link]

Cheers!

Goose
OK Thanks. Last week-end I read something about another Dart flying, in the East Coast ?. I went to the Hamilton War Museum last Wed. with a bunch of guys, the museum had a Silver Dart hanging, I took a couple of pics of it, i'll send them to you if you wish.

Garthwood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.