Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Meister 1/5 scale P-47

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Meister 1/5 scale P-47

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Meister 1/5 scale P-47

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: JSZ

Hi Gary, congrats on the new family member. I use high temp RTV for the gasket and the bolts with great success. My Ziroli Corsair has been flying for 2 years now with no problems.
Thanks on both accounts.

Carson arrived at 2:02 AM last night. Everything went well. Got home around 4:00.

Glad that is out of then way. He was the last one in the hanger. That makes 4 newborns in the last 7 months. All boys. My shop is going to be a mad house I fear, starting in about 2 years.[]
Congrats Gary!!!!!!!!
I had a feeling we had something in common. I am a unionfloor cover by trade(23yr)and have been working at my brother in-laws company doing cabinets on and off for the last 10yr.. You everhave a question on floor,don't hesitate.

Jimbo
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Hi Gary, congrats on the new family member. I use high temp RTV for the gasket and the bolts with great success. My Ziroli Corsair has been flying for 2 years now with no problems.
Thanks on both accounts.

Carson arrived at 2:02 AM last night. Everything went well. Got home around 4:00.

Glad that is out of then way. He was the last one in the hanger. That makes 4 newborns in the last 7 months. All boys. My shop is going to be a mad house I fear, starting in about 2 years.[]
Congrats Gary!!!!!!!!
I had a feeling we had something in common. I am a union floor cover by trade (23yr) and have been working at my brother in-laws company doing cabinets on and off for the last 10yr.. You ever have a question on floor, don't hesitate.

Jimbo
Thanks pal.

Ever notice how many finish carpenters and machinists there are among us builders?

My brother and building partner is a electronics repair technician, but also is accomplished at carpentry.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Mustangman40

Thanks on both accounts.

Congrats Gary!!!!!!!!
I had a feeling we had something in common. I am a unionfloor cover by trade(23yr)and have been working at my brother in-laws company doing cabinets on and off for the last 10yr.. You everhave a question on floor,don't hesitate.

Jimbo
Thanks pal.

Ever notice how many finish carpenters and machinists there are among us builders?

My brother and building partner is a electronics repair technician, but also is accomplished at carpentry.
Yeah, I guess it's in our blood to work with our hands and sometimes our brain too..

Soon as I get time, I have to build my new shop down in the basement. Mama gave me the green light now that i am back in the hobby... I have some neat ideas and might plug you brain for some in the near future..

Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
ram3500-RCU

I remember seeing a thread about shops but don't remember where it was. My shop is a little like my scale planes. It is never done, I just quit working on it.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Mustangman40

I remember seeing a thread about shops but don't remember where it was. My shop is a little like my scale planes. It is never done, I just quit working on it.
I here ya bud.. Well have a blast at TG, best of luck to ya..

Jimbo
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Jimbo,
I spent hours and hours cutting the basement in half, hanging drywall, painting, installing cabinets, etc.
My shop on one side,, the Kids "Teen Cave" on the other, Now the knuckle heads just sit up in their bedrooms complaining about what they don't have.

I'm about ready to double the size of my shop, Who needs dust collectors disguised as old couches and a Foosball table anyway [:@]

Aren't kids fun
Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 AM
scale only 4 me

We decided to make another improvement I think.

I had a new 4800 2-cell lipo on hand, so we decided to use it for the gear. The Down & Locked control box has a port for an independent power supply. It fits nicely on the side of the interior, below the superfluous air tank, with some Velcro. This puts it right on the CG.

We will use an adjustable voltage regulator to set the voltage to the gear at 6.8V. This isolates the gear system from the RX batteries. You simply cut the red wire to the RX and let the signal come through.

D&L told me that, given the power usage of the system, the 4800 mah is good for about 1100 cycles. Seriously.
Seams like a lot of extra weight to carry to me,, and the PITA of removing it to charge,,, on the other hand, you'll only have to charge it once a year
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Jimbo,
I spent hours and hours cutting the basement in half, hanging drywall, painting, installing cabinets, etc.
My shop on one side,, the Kids ''Teen Cave'' on the other, Now the knuckle heads just sit up in their bedrooms complaining about what they don't have.

I'm about ready to double the size of my shop, Who needs dust collectors disguised as old couches and a Foosball table anyway [:@]

Aren't kids fun
I have 7. I well know how much "FUN" kids can be.

Seriously, I love them all and the 6 grandkids they have given us so far.

I am fortunate to have my whole basement for one shop, and then another '3 seasons' shop behind the garage. My wife complains about it in waves. I just keep telling her, if I wasn't in my shop, I'd be up bugging you. She backs off.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
ram3500-RCU

We decided to make another improvement I think.

I had a new 4800 2-cell lipo on hand, so we decided to use it for the gear. The Down & Locked control box has a port for an independent power supply. It fits nicely on the side of the interior, below the superfluous air tank, with some Velcro. This puts it right on the CG.

We will use an adjustable voltage regulator to set the voltage to the gear at 6.8V. This isolates the gear system from the RX batteries. You simply cut the red wire to the RX and let the signal come through.

D&L told me that, given the power usage of the system, the 4800 mah is good for about 1100 cycles. Seriously.
Seams like a lot of extra weight to carry to me,, and the PITA of removing it to charge,,, on the other hand, you'll only have to charge it once a year
Well, we had to change the plan. Turns out the regulator only went to 6.5V and we need 6.8. We went back to a 2400 NiCad (they hold their voltage till the end), and Brian added a separate switch with a built in charger port, for the gear. That should still give us 500 cycles.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Icemanjr92
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, at least that will get you through one Top Gun round....
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Icemanjr92

Well, at least that will get you through one Top Gun round....
Only worried about how many cycles my pants will get.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 AM
scale only 4 me

Jimbo,
My shop on one side,, the Kids ''Teen Cave'' on the other, Now the knuckle heads just sit up in their bedrooms complaining about what they don't have.

Aren't kids fun
I have 7. I well know how much ''FUN'' kids can be.

I am fortunate to have my whole basement for one shop, and then another '3 seasons' shop behind the garage. My wife complains about it in waves. I just keep telling her, if I wasn't in my shop, I'd be up bugging you. She backs off.

7?? omg,, I couldn't imagine..
Then you know Parenthood is like Golf, endless hours of torture interrupted by brief moments of amazing joy.

Tic, Toc,, when you heading south?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
ram3500-RCU

Jimbo,

Aren't kids fun

Then you know Parenthood is like Golf, endless hours of torture interrupted by brief moments of amazing joy.

Yea, we know parenting. Our youngest graduated high school last year.

Looks like very early Monday morning for heading out.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Mustangman40

Jimbo,

Aren't kids fun

Yea, we know parenting. Our youngest graduated high school last year.

Looks like very early Monday morning for heading out.
Man, I thought TG was this weekend and I was looking for reports....
So let me ask what you do the weekend before. Is the weather good enough to get in some more flights, run the motor some more, go over everything three more times?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
ram3500-RCU

I only wish it were so Mustangman40. I have not actually flown a plane since last November. It has been crappy weather so far for getting the big stuff out. The field is way too soft from all the rain, and hasn't even been rolled yet. We have had some decent weather for smaller planes, but they don't help me anymore than the sim does I think, and frankly, I just haven't had the time to get any of my small stuff ready yet.

I'm hoping to get down there a day early to get some practice in.

I have been flying my maneuvers on the sim, and in my mine a lot.

As for the plane, we fueled her and started the newly gone through engine, and it was fine. All systems have been thoroughly gone through. Brian added a separate switch for the gear now. I can turn the radio on and test all the controls without even powering up the gear now. It has a separate power system. The nice thing about that is the built in protection it has. If the voltage should drop below a preset level, the gear automatically deploys to give you visual warning the there is a power loss somewhere, and this is separate from the control system now. This all takes place while you still have power to get them safely down. We found the prop to be out (thought I had balanced it last year but I guess not) and it was mostly in the hub. Fixed that. Batteries are topped off, and spare parts are almost ready to go. I feel good about the condition of the plane.

I would think many of TG planes are very low time, just coming off the building tables in many cases. Ours is not, having 40 flights on her, and all with me as the pilot. We did make some changes and improvements, but she is still the same basic Zombie, and we were careful to get the balance right where it was last year. I added 7oz more of Steel Powder to the cowl to make that happen.

It will be interesting to see how well a guy can do from the north, not having an opportunity to get in practice like the southern guys can. I know others have done well in the past, Like Mike Barbie (also from Ohio), so this is nothing new to the event, just to me. It is something i have always wondered about, given the event is always early in the Spring.

I won't let it become an excuse though. I'll do my best and hopefully have fun doing it.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Icemanjr92

Gary,
At least you have flown your Top Gun entry...lol
I havent even seen mine yet let alone done any flying on it.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Mustangman40

Gary,

Now that has to be scary, I was wondering about that very thing..
From what i can tell, there are some great builders who don't have the skills as a pilot to fly their own bird.. I was thinking how that would work if the pilot/builder lived miles apart..
Is there alot of that at TG where the first time the pilot sees the plane he is flying it for the judges?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Mustangman40

I only wish it were so Mustangman40. I have not actually flown a plane since last November. It has been crappy weather so far for getting the big stuff out. The field is way too soft from all the rain, and hasn't even been rolled yet. We have had some decent weather for smaller planes, but they don't help me anymore than the sim does I think, and frankly, I just haven't had the time to get any of my small stuff ready yet.

As for the plane, we fueled her and started the newly gone through engine, and it was fine. All systems have been thoroughly gone through. Brian added a separate switch for the gear now. I can turn the radio on and test all the controls without even powering up the gear now. It has a separate power system. The nice thing about that is the built in protection it has. If the voltage should drop below a preset level, the gear automatically deploys to give you visual warning the there is a power loss somewhere, and this is separate from the control system now. This all takes place while you still have power to get them safely down. We found the prop to be out (thought I had balanced it last year but I guess not) and it was mostly in the hub. Fixed that. Batteries are topped off, and spare parts are almost ready to go. I feel good about the condition of the plane.

I would think many of TG planes are very low time, just coming off the building tables in many cases. Ours is not, having 40 flights on her, and all with me as the pilot. We did make some changes and improvements, but she is still the same basic Zombie, and we were careful to get the balance right where it was last year. I added 7oz more of Steel Powder to the cowl to make that happen.

It will be interesting to see how well a guy can do from the north, not having an opportunity to get in practice like the southern guys can. I know others have done well in the past, Like Mike Barbie (also from Ohio), so this is nothing new to the event, just to me. It is something i have always wondered about, given the event is always early in the Spring.

I won't let it become an excuse though. I'll do my best and hopefully have fun doing it.

Well Gary,
I called out to Vegas and placed a bet on you, didn't quite get the oddsI was after, but what the hey, I'm not a greedy man..
I would have to agree with you, a lot of the planes are fresh off the building table and you have so much history with yours already.. That alone might make up for the North not being able to fly like they do down South...
I use to play a lot of golf and at times, for money.. I remember a guy from FL of all places who wanted to play for some, well I used the North South thing and got him to spot me a few strokes... He wasn't to happy at the end of the day!

Well all this talk about TG, I have decided to set a goal for myself.. I will build and fly a scale warbird at TG with in the next 3 years or sooner, provided I can get the invite from Frank..
I have always loved warbids, always loved competing at things and always loved this hobby, why not combine them all...
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 PM
ram3500-RCU

Gary,
I can tell you this, you will love that Cub. I looked it over pretty good at Toledo. It is as close to "honey I shrunk the Cub" as a guy could get. He even used welded tube construction as per full scale. I'm excited for you and what you will be able to do in the air with your mount.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM
ram3500-RCU

Well Gary,
I called out to Vegas and placed a bet on you, didn't quite get the odds I was after, but what the hey, I'm not a greedy man..[img][/img]
I would have to agree with you, a lot of the planes are fresh off the building table and you have so much history with yours already.. That alone might make up for the North not being able to fly like they do down South...
I use to play a lot of golf and at times, for money.. I remember a guy from FL of all places who wanted to play for some, well I used the North South thing and got him to spot me a few strokes... He wasn't to happy at the end of the day![img][/img]

Well all this talk about TG, I have decided to set a goal for myself.. I will build and fly a scale warbird at TG with in the next 3 years or sooner, provided I can get the invite from Frank.. [img][/img]
I have always loved warbids, always loved competing at things and always loved this hobby, why not combine them all...
Speaking of wagers, I bet you get that call.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
ram3500-RCU

OK, now this isn't good. My daughters cat pissed in my favorite flying shoes.[:@]

Now I have to break in a new pair on top everything else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27162.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	1597960  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Icemanjr92

I know that Graeme can build and I am not worried about the plane. However, I dont like going into Top Gun with no practice time at all.
I love when many modelers say, "Its just a Cub"... that usually tells me me that they have NO idea about flying and typically never used the rudder before..lol It will be a tricky bird in the TG crosswinds that usually are there. We will have some fun for sure. Cant wait!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 PM
ram3500-RCU

I know that Graeme can build and I am not worried about the plane. However, I dont like going into Top Gun with no practice time at all.
I love when many modelers say, ''Its just a Cub''... that usually tells me me that they have NO idea about flying and typically never used the rudder before..lol It will be a tricky bird in the TG crosswinds that usually are there. We will have some fun for sure. Cant wait!
Roger that. Wait till you see the tiny scale vortex generators he has across the top of the wing. I can't wait to see you fly that plane.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Mustangman40

OK, now this isn't good. My daughters cat pissed in my favorite flying shoes.[:@]

Now I have to break in a new pair on top everything else.
Aren't kids and their pets great...........
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM
ram3500-RCU

I've already let Frank Tiano know, and he was gracious and kind with his response. A real classy guy IMO.

For the rest of my internet friends, the 'perfect storm' hit our family this week end, literally, as my bags were packed to leave for TG. Within hours of when I would have left, I had to cancel my trip, and appearance at Top Gun this year.

We will all be alright, but it is just one of those times when the family has to pull together and help each other, which is what we will do this week.

I wish all my competing friends the best, and dearly wish I could have been there.

My next hope is that I can attend Mac's WOG event in June. I'm still planning to support the next FTE event, Monster Planes USA 2011.

Thank you for all the encouragement I have gotten from all of you for TG, and be sure that I will be flying my routine each time out with Zombie this year. By 2012, it will be second nature.

I'm looking forward to a good flying season. Hope to meet many of you at other fly-ins. Have fun guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.