Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM LA-7 From VQ Warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM LA-7 From VQ Warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM LA-7 From VQ Warbirds

Just got done mounting my MOKI 1.80, it fits with no cowl cutting. I mounted it side ways and I have enough room to attach my on board glow with no cutting. However, that said I will have to cut a hole to access the needle valve and to allow sufficient exit of hot air.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM
scottdog
My Feedback: (47)

Hey Guys
I am trying to get in contact with Ty Brown does anyone of his email address or a contact number .

peace

scottdog
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
jmohn

You can try to reach Ty at: tysplanes.com

Here's some photos of my LA-7 to keep you motivated.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96180.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1422195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27208.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1422196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84473.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1422197  
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jmohn, are you going 'West Coast Festival' Castle event this year at the end of May?

If my survives it I will bring mine, thanks for them lovely flying pics, she looks great in the air!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
jmohn

I would like to but I don't know if I have that weekend free. What weekend is it?

I know a bunch of guys from our club are going. Great place to fly BIG planes!

Couple more photos for you

Jeff

Name:	Vt58670.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1422786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68481.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1422787  
Old 04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
fw190

I flew my LA-7 for the first time today and it flies great! I have an RCGF 62 on it and it shook the plane more than what I am used to seeing and I think the long stem motor mounts creates more vibration on the aircraft. I want the plane to last so will swap it out with my G45 and that should fly it plenty fast. I am extremely happy with the retracts, they worked well and usually ARF's have terrible retracts but these ones are well suited even with a big motor.

Love the pics, do you use flaps on landing? It works well and no sign of any pitch changes on the aircraft even at 70 degree.

Here is the flyer for Castle Event this year

http://frcm.org/docs/Castle%20-%20IM...ic%20Flyer.pdf

Vic
Old 04-22-2010, 04:49 PM
jmohn

fw190,

Glad to head yours flew well too! I didn't use flaps the first couple flights as I had too much up thrust in my engine and it didn't need them. I did use it on my last flights and it did a fantastic slow three point landing with about a 2 foot roll afterwards. The flaps really help it slow down nicely. Even without flaps it's well behaved on landings.

I don't have any shaking with my motor...it's electric

How did yours balance with that engine?

Jeff
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
LAWNDART65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was impressed with the planes flying qualities!! [sm=wink_smile.gif] Ooops I meant Vics great piloting skills[8D] John
Old 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM
fw190

Thanks for your help at the field John John!

I am a little nose heavy about 1/4 inch forward from factory CG but it seems to fly fine. With a G45, I might have to put my rx battery packs way back.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jmohn

You can try to reach Ty at: tysplanes.com

Here's some photos of my LA-7 to keep you motivated.

Jeff,
looks great and that is definitely South County (highway 101 in the background)...I plan to maiden my LA 7 this weekend at EBRC. What power system did you end up using and what prop? Looks like the incidence is not a problem....how far back from the leading edge did you balance measuring 6 inches out from either side of the fuselage?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 PM
jmohn

Mine is flying on an Eflite Power 160 with 2 x 6S 5000 mah packs. I have a 20-10 prop on it and it's a screamer.

The CG was a little forward of the recommended location. It doesn't seem to be too sensitive, so just start a few mm ahead of the recommended forward CG and see how you like it there. I had to add about 12 oz. of lead to the back to get the CG right even after moving everything aft. My batteries are in front of the firewall and would have been better behind it. It does fly nicely and is a great looking plane.

The field is SCMAC in Morgan Hill.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2010, 06:27 PM
fw190

Hey Jeff, how do you get that exhaust smoke trail on the fuselage with that electric? What ESC are you using?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Loopman

Hey Guys,
I'm at the point where I'm installing my stock ESM gear and the gear legs are too long! I had to modify the oleo section of the leg to reduce the length so I could center the gear. It's fine now but should not have had to modify the gear to start with. The rest of the build is pretty staright forward. The Moki 1.80 fits perfectly on the nose and I hope I will not have to add any nose weight! As for the CG, I would rather be nose heavy than tail heavy and ESM's CG is too far aft for my liking. Eventhough I am not using a retractable tailwheel, I did modify a Sullivan tailwheel to look more scale. This plane's fuse was cracked up pretty good by UPS but after some careful application of fibreglass and resin on the interior, it looks acceptable. If anybody is interested, I have Ty's cockpit kit and I will not be using it so it's going up for sale.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
fw190

Loopman, did you mount the main retract unit into the slot opening of one of the ribs that supported the front retract rails? If you did dot it will be too long for sure.

Anyways on CG, I placed mine just on the trailing edge of the main spar, which is roughly around 1/4" forward of what is called for on the manual.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Loopman

Hi FW190,
Yep, I did move the gear mount into that slot and the wheels still would hit the center rib. I also had to add 1/8 inch ply pieces to raise the gear so the wheels would not slap the top of the wing when they retracted. Maybe I got the EDSEL version (ha ha). Anyway, all is fixed and works great. I still have to mount the door covers on the struts but that's about all I lack.

Thanks for the advice on the CG. I just lost an ESM P-51B due to setting it up per the stock CG. It was basically uncontrollable on landing and I would've gotten it down okay eventually but on my last go around the engine conked out and it tip stalled from about 50 feet. Fibreglass fuses do not take kindly to direct nose-ins with terra firma! The wings split clean in two, the plane was totalled but all the components (engine and electronics) survived. So in my book nose heavy will survive to fly another day, tail heavy will not.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM
jmohn

Sometimes those ESCs do smoke

It just looked too clean to me so I did some weathering on the plane.
I almost always start with my CG a little ahead of what's recommended. At worst it will fly nose down and you can feed in elevator. At least it won't be tail heavy and crash hard. This plane had a huge horizontal stab and can easily pull out of any nose down situation.

The Dubro tail wheel is a great idea. I used the same setup on my Hurricane.

Name:	Pn35269.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1423303  
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
fw190

It's a shame they don't make the fuselage out of epoxy instead of polyester as its stronger and less brittle, but for the already built price you cant beat it. Usually takes me several months to build a warbird from a kit and this took 1 week. Speaking of ARFs, I put an order for that 89" ESM Spitty from VQ Warbirds, it looks nice and scale, plus I need to find a home for that RCGF 62!

I have smoked a few ESCs myself! Luckily no lipos yet.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
jmohn

I have reserved one of the P40s from Thomas at VQ also. I have a DA 50 that needs a home and a set of Robart gear that will drop right in. I do like the Spitfire, but already have a nice one and like the P40 better. We have too many Spitfires at our field

Jeff
Old 04-24-2010, 03:25 PM
LA7flier

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

You may want to check out the MPI spinners. I have one on my KMP Sea Fury and it really looks the part. They are fuller at the bottom and mid-point and much better looking then the P-51 style which is too narrow (trust me, I spent the money just to be disappointed). They are rather inexpensive too and mine balanced fine. Mine is a 5 inch.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-11.html
Just got back from the flying field and the attempted maiden of my LA 7. I am experiencing a power system problem as when I throttle up and just rotate (plane is 3 feet in the air) the motor cuts out....hmmm....[:@] E-flight 160 turning an APC 20x10 and running off of a 10s A123 battery pack with a Phoenix 85HV ESC...have a video which I will post later today...not much to see other than the plane breaking ground and landing again...almost looks like I am doing it on purpose. Couple things to note thus far: the wing is marvelous and allows the plane to float even when losing power at the worst spot! second, the MPI spinner I purchased is no good...badly out of balance. I think the backplate was machined unevenly. In any event, I will be ordering one of the new spinners that just became available.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
LA7flier

ORIGINAL: LA7flier

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

You may want to check out the MPI spinners. I have one on my KMP Sea Fury and it really looks the part. They are fuller at the bottom and mid-point and much better looking then the P-51 style which is too narrow (trust me, I spent the money just to be disappointed). They are rather inexpensive too and mine balanced fine. Mine is a 5 inch.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-11.html
Just got back from the flying field and the attempted maiden of my LA 7. I am experiencing a power system problem as when I throttle up and just rotate (plane is 3 feet in the air) the motor cuts out....hmmm....[:@] E-flight 160 turning an APC 20x10 and running off of a 10s A123 battery pack with a Phoenix 85HV ESC...have a video which I will post later today...not much to see other than the plane breaking ground and landing again...almost looks like I am doing it on purpose. Couple things to note thus far: the wing is marvelous and allows the plane to float even when losing power at the worst spot! second, the MPI spinner I purchased is no good...badly out of balance. I think the backplate was machined unevenly. In any event, I will be ordering one of the new spinners that just became available.
Having spent a couple of hours today thinking about the problem and testing the power system, I feel like I may have a handle on the problem I encountered at the field. Here is a short video clip showing the attempted first flight;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESf7c...eature=channel

After balance charging and running the motor a couple of times with a watt meter, I am seeing the cells "settle in" with readings I would expect. The first thing I did was reprogram the ESC with a 2.4v LVC. This allows the ESC to recognize all 10 cells upon initial power up. I was able to throttle up without any hesitation. I also saw a max output of about 1300 watts on 45 amps...about right for a 10S 2300 mAh pack. I was able to run it for 6 minutes by alternately going from WOT to "cruise" to low and back. Surprisingly, it did not require a whole lot of mAh's to top the pack off.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
jmohn

You might be over amps on the ESC? I use the Castle 110 HV for mine. I don't know how many amps I draw, but it's probably close to the cut off at full throttle. You might also check the programing and make sure it's not set at 80% cut off as many ship that way.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
fw190

Looks like a soft cutoff as you still had idle. When I flew my Heli with A123s I just removed the cutoff voltage and timed my flight. A123s are good , will you be able to incorporate 10s2p on the LA7?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Maxclimb
My Feedback: (61)

Yes I would be interested in a scale spinner and i am sure John Smith would be too!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Max,
Tomas has them in stock....

Name:	Tr50889.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1425926  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Maxclimb
My Feedback: (61)

Thanks, TY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.