Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Ki-109: Night fighter prototypes. Ki-67-I modified for night fighting for operating in pairs, the Ki-109a with a radar/reflector (similar to the Douglas Havoc II "Turbinlite") for radar transmission and detection and the Ki-109b, armed with twin 37 mm Ho-203 cannon in an upward-firing Schrage Musik-style fixed dorsal mount (as the single Ho-203 autocannon in the Mitsubishi Ki-46-III KAI was) to destroy the objective. Only a project.
Ki-109: Day Fighter prototypes. Ki-67-I modified for daylight fighting. One fixed 75 mm Type 88 Heavy Cannon in the nose and one mobile 12.7 mm (0.5 in) Ho-103 Type 1 machine gun in the tail. Equipped with Mitsubishi Ha-104 engines of 1,417 kW (1,900 hp) each or turbochargers Ha-104 Ru with 1,417 kW (1,900 hp) each. 2 produced.
Ki-109 Army Heavy Fighter Interceptor: First non-prototype model of series. Lacking gun positions in upper and side positions and without bomb-bay compartments. Had a revised version of tail gun. 22 constructed by Mitsubishi.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: grbaker

Ki-109: Night fighter prototypes. Ki-67-I modified for night fighting for operating in pairs, the Ki-109a with a radar/reflector (similar to the Douglas Havoc II ''Turbinlite'') for radar transmission and detection and the Ki-109b, armed with twin 37 mm Ho-203 cannon in an upward-firing Schrage Musik-style fixed dorsal mount (as the single Ho-203 autocannon in the Mitsubishi Ki-46-III KAI was) to destroy the objective. Only a project.
Ki-109: Day Fighter prototypes. Ki-67-I modified for daylight fighting. One fixed 75 mm Type 88 Heavy Cannon in the nose and one mobile 12.7 mm (0.5 in) Ho-103 Type 1 machine gun in the tail. Equipped with Mitsubishi Ha-104 engines of 1,417 kW (1,900 hp) each or turbochargers Ha-104 Ru with 1,417 kW (1,900 hp) each. 2 produced.
Ki-109 Army Heavy Fighter Interceptor: First non-prototype model of series. Lacking gun positions in upper and side positions and without bomb-bay compartments. Had a revised version of tail gun. 22 constructed by Mitsubishi.

No, Sir; not the Ki-109. Maybe this will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This aircraft saw very little, if any, actual combat, despite being the best of its type available.

(2) It was available in fairly substantial numbers.

(3) It was being held in reserve for an event which never occured.

(4) It was to wield a new type of weapon.

(5) The necessity of responding strongly to the anticipated event made holding this warbird in reserve an understandable decision.

(6) It was twin engine.

(7) Three versions were produced; a day fighter, a night fighter, and a ground attack fighter. Most types produced were ground attack. A high altitude prototype was also produced.

(8) Only two of the high altitude prototype versions were produced. These had pressurized cabins.

(9) Only two of the night fighter variants were produced.

(10) 26 of the day fighter variants were produced. These had 57mm cannons and turbosuperchargers to maintain performance at higher altitudes. A rear 12.7mm rear machine gun was eliminated.

(11) Over 200 of the ground attack versions were produced.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Ernie P.

As already guessed, the "event which never occured" was the invasion of the Japanese homelands. Once you have the "new type of weapon", you should also have the aircraft. This clue should give you the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) This aircraft saw very little, if any, actual combat, despite being the best of its type available.

(5) The necessity of responding strongly to the anticipated event made holding this warbird in reserve an understandable decision.

(6) It was twin engine.

(7) Three versions were produced; a day fighter, a night fighter, and a ground attack fighter. Most types produced were ground attack. A high altitude prototype was also produced.

(8) Only two of the high altitude prototype versions were produced. These had pressurized cabins.

(10) 26 of the day fighter variants were produced. These had 57mm cannons and turbosuperchargers to maintain performance at higher altitudes. A rear 12.7mm rear machine gun was eliminated.

(12) The new weapon to be carried by the ground attack versions was a radio guided bomb with a rocket engine.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kawasaki Ki-102
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: WWIIP38

Kawasaki Ki-102

Indeed, Sir; and we have a winner. You are up, WWIIP38; please post your question. The thing I find fascinating about the Ki-102 is the Japanese were under tremendous pressure in the latter days of WWII; but managed to stockpile the Ki-102's. Yes, they had quite a few aircraft stockpiled, and a few other things besides, but the Ki-102 was one of their best ground attack aircraft. Over to you, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) It was twin engine.

(12) The new weapon to be carried by the ground attack versions was a radio guided bomb with a rocket engine.

Answer: Kawasaki Ki-102

The Kawasaki Ki-102 (Army Type 4 Assault Aircraft) was a Japanese warplane of World War II. It was a twin-engine, two-seat, long-range heavy fighter developed to replace the Ki-45 Toryu. Three versions were planned: the Ki-102a day fighter, Ki-102b ground-attack and Ki-102c night fighter. This aircraft's Allied reporting name was "Randy".

It entered service in 1944, but saw limited action. The main type (102b) was kept in reserve to protect Japan, although it did see some limited duty in the Okinawa campaign. It was kept out of front line service because it was hoped that it would be the carrier of the Igo-1-B air-to-ground guided missile when the Allied invasion of Japan occurred.

Ki-102
prototypes, 3 built

Ki-102a (Type Kō)
Externally similar to the 102b, but with turbosuperchargers that enabled the engine to maintain its rating at higher altitudes. 57 mm (2.24 in) cannon was swapped in favor of a 37 mm (1.46 in) cannon, and the 12.7 mm (.50 in) rear gun was deleted, 26 built.

Ki-102b (Type Otu)
Ground-attack variant similar to prototypes, except with revised tail wheel, 207 built.

Ki-102c (Type Hei)
Night Fighter version with lengthened fuselage and span. Radar under a Plexiglas dome, oblique-firing 20 mm cannons, and the 20 mm cannons in the belly replaced with 30 mm (1.18 in) cannons completed the package, 2 built.

Ki-108
High-altitude fighter prototype with pressurised cabin, two conversions from Ki-102b aircraft using the structural improvements used on the 102c.

General characteristics
Crew: 2
Length: 37 ft 7 in (11.45 m)
Wingspan: 51 ft 1 in (15.57 m)
Height: 12 ft 2 in (3.70 m)
Wing area: 366 ftΒ² (34 mΒ²)
Empty weight: 10,900 lb (4,950 kg)
Loaded weight: 16,000 lb (7,300 kg)
Powerplant: 2Γ— Mitsubishi Ha-112-II Ru 14-cylinder radial engine, 1,500 hp (1,120 kW) each
Performance
Maximum speed: 310 kn, 360 mph (580 km/h)
Range: 1,100 nmi, 1,200 mi (2,000 km)
Service ceiling: 33,000 ft (10,000 m)
Power/mass: 2.4 kg/kW (5.4 lb/hp)
Armament
Guns:

1 Γ— 57 mm (2.24 in) Ho-401 cannonβ€”replaced in the 102a with a 37 mm (1.46 in) cannon, deleted in the 102c

2 Γ— 20 mm Ho-5 cannon in the bellyβ€”replaced in the 102c with a 30 mm (1.18 in) cannon in the package, plus oblique-firing 2 Γ— 20 mm cannons

1 Γ— 12.7 mm (0.50 in) Ho-103 machine gunβ€”deleted in the 102a and 102c

Bombs:
2 Γ— 200 L (53 US gal) drop tanks; or
2 Γ— 250 kg (551 lb) bombs

Kawasaki Igo-1-B, otherwise known as Kawasaki Ki-148 was a World War II Japanese guided air-to-surface missile designed in 1944. Developed along its sister projects of Mitsubishi Igo-1-A and Tokyo Imperial University-designed Igo-1-C, the Igo-1-B was a simple radio-controlled guided bomb propelled by a rocket engine generating 150 kilograms (330 lb) of thrust for up to 80 seconds.
Test trials were carried out in late 1944 and the weapon was quickly ordered by the war ministry. Launched during tests from a modified Kawasaki Ki-48 light bomber, its' standard mother aircraft was to be the modern Kawasaki Ki-102 heavy fighter. Although approximately 180 missiles were built, none saw service before the end of World War II.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Ernie P.

You are up, WWIIP38; please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

You are up, WWIIP38; please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

WWIIP38;

You are allowed only 24 hours in which to post your questions and updates. You are well past that deadline; although I see you have logged in recently. Unless you post your question soon, we will be forced to move on without you. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 AM
Ernie P.

All;

Apparently, we have lost WWIIP38. The floor is open to anyone who wants to post a substitute question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
zippome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Here's a quick question just to keep the ball rolling here....

1. Who built the planes that dropped the 2 atomic bombs on Japan?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Boeing
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Glenn L Martin company, under license I assume

Whit
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM
zippome

You got it WphilB !
Just wanted to keep it moving along!
You're UP!
Thanks,
Zip
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
wphilb

OK,

What pilot?

1) one of his country's best pilots
2) originally conscripted into ground service
3) had to pay for his flight training in a third country

Whit
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
wphilb

What pilot?
1) one of his country's best pilots
2) originally conscripted into ground service
3) had to pay for his flight training in a third country
4) survived the war he fought in despite being seriously wounded in combat
Whit

Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
wphilb

Your evening clue

What pilot?

1) one of his countries best pilots
2) was originally conscripted into ground service
3) had to pay for his own flying training in a third country
4) survived the war he fought in, despite a serious wound in combat
5) decorated by 7 countries for his service

Whit
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 AM
wphilb

Your AM clue:

What pilot?

1) one of his countries best pilots
2) was originally conscripted into ground service
3) had to pay for his own flying training in a third country
4) survived the war he fought in, despite a serious wound in combat
5) decorated by 7 countries for his service
6) awarded the following medals: Nichan Iftikhar, Order of the Black
Star, Virtuti Militari and the
Croix de guerre 1914–1918 from two countries.

Whit
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 AM
pilotal

Willy Coppens ?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 AM
wphilb

Awwwh,

And I had like 10 more clues to go....

My favorite is his quote (and I can't find this right now so I can't list it as 100% accurate) was that after bringing back a really bady shot up plane the French gave him a medal "For bringing the plane back." His reply "Of course I had to bring it back, I needed it to take me home..."

You are correct!

And you are in the drivers seat.

Early life

Coppens was born in Watermael-Boitsfort, near Brussels and was conscripted into the army in 1912, to serve with the Premiere Regiment Grenadiers.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference" jquery18306611307821309106="11">[1]</sup>

World War I

In 1914, following the German invasion of Belgium, Coppens transferred to The Motor Machine Gun Corps. On 6 September 1915, he signed up for flight training in the Compagnie des Aviateurs. Ultimately, due to insufficiencies in Belgian training, he took 8 weeks leave to train to fly. He and 39 other Belgians learned to fly on their own expense in Britain. He received his pilot's certificate on 9 December 1915. After this training in Britain he had further training at the Farman School in Étampes, France and joined the Sixieme Escradrille as a sergent 1ere class (Sergeant First Class) on 8 April 1917 flying BE-2c two seaters. Later that month, he was assigned to Quatrieme Escadrille to fly a Farman pusher. On 1 May, he received a Sopwith 1½ Strutter two seater and promptly flew it into his first aerial combat.

In mid July, he transferred to the single seater fighter unit 1ère Escadrille de Chasse (1st Pursuit Squadron). He received the last remaining Nieuport 16 in the squadron; everyone else had upgraded to Nieuport 17s. When Hanriot HD 1s were offered to the squadron, he was the only pilot to initially accept one. His enthusiasm for the aircraft type prompted other pilots to also move over to Hanriots.

Willy Coppens is decorated by King Albert I.

On 19 August Coppens was promoted to Adjutant. He continued his nervy but unsuccessful combat career against enemy aircraft until 17 March 1918. On that day he carried out his first attack on German observation balloons, as an aid to a ground assault by the Belgian Army. Though handicapped by lack of incendiary ammunition he punctured two balloons, causing the observers to bail out and the balloons to collapse to the ground.

Finally, on 25 April Coppens scored his first victory by downing a Rumpler two seater. On 8 May he finally found his metier, when he shot two balloons down in flames.

A week later, using his usual tactics of close range fire, Coppens cut a balloon loose from its ties. It bounced up beneath him and momentarily carried his Hanriot skyward. After his aircraft fell off the balloon, he restarted its engine and flew back to base. The balloon sagged into an explosion.

Later when on another attack run, he got shot at from a balloon. He parked his plane on top of the damaged balloon, shutdown his engine in order to protect its propeller, and waited until the balloon to descend to slide off the balloon and fly away.

From then on, Coppens' record was spectacular. Between April and October 1918 he was credited with destroying 34 German observation balloons and three airplanes, nearly as many victories as Belgium's other five aces combined. Unlike most fighter pilots of World War I, who used .303 caliber or 7.92 mm guns, Coppens used a larger bore 11 mm Vickers machine gun, having upgraded his weaponry prior to June 1918.

Also in June, he was promoted to sous lieutenant, thus becoming an officer. His royal blue plane with its insignia of a thistle sprig wearing a top hat became so well known that the Germans went to special pains to try to kill him. On 3 August he shot down a balloon booby-trapped with explosives that when detonated from the ground narrowly missed killing him.

On his last mission, 14 October, Coppens downed a balloon over Praatbos and was attacking one over Torhout when he was severely wounded by an incendiary bullet, smashing the tibia of his left leg and severing the artery. Coppens crash landed near Diksmuide and was taken to hospital, where his leg was amputated.

After the war

For his wartime service he was knighted, becoming Willy Omer Francois Jean Coppens de Houthulst, for a forest in his squadron's operating area. He was decorated by Belgium, France, Britain, Portugal, Italy, Poland, and Serbia. His memoir, Days on the Wing, were published in 1931 and reissued in the 1970s as Flying in Flanders.

Between the two World Wars Coppens was Belgian air attaché to four nations. In September 1928, despite his disability, he set a parachute jump record by leaping from 19,700 feet; this record stood for 4 years. He retired to Switzerland in 1940, organising resistance work and marrying. In the late 1960s he returned to Belgium and lived his last five years with fellow Belgian ace Jan Olieslagers's only daughter until his death in 1986.

He achieved all his victories flying the Hanriot HD.1 fighter.

Medals and awards

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM
pilotal

I'll have a question in a few hours.
Al
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
pilotal

Here we go, lets see if I can stump anyone for awhile.

1) Single engine
2) monoplane
3) 1 or 2 seat
4) Developed by a manufacturer well known for other types of aircraft.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
allans

Grumman
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
AZThud

Sturmovik ?

ORIGINAL: pilotal

Here we go, lets see if I can stump anyone for awhile.

1) Single engine
2) monoplane
3) 1 or 2 seat
4) Developed by a manufacturer well known for other types of aircraft.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
pilotal

Not grumman or the Stormovik.

5) Never made it to full production but development  ran from the mid 50's to the 1970's
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM
allans

Avro
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 AM
pilotal

Morning clue -

6) Primary material used was common for this manufacturer but otherwise rather unique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.