Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:01 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question there Al
Old 09-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Yes, indeed! Over to you, Ernie.

The most detailed account I've been able to find online is the German-Language Wikipedia article on Franz Leppich. If you don't read German, and you use the Chrome browser, you can get a clumsy and somewhat inaccurate machine translation into English. The balloon's propulsion and steering was supposed to be done with gigantic oars, pulled by the crew (Wikipedia says 50; some other sources say 40). There"s also a drawing: the balloon portion looks like half of a stretched-out pear, with an open wooden structure underneath. It was to have a net over it, attached to a wooden "belt" around the bottom of the balloon, with the structure to hold the crew and weapons hanging below it. The oars surely wouldn't have worked, but the internal combustion engine hadn't been invented yet. One English-language source speculates that Leppich was just in it for the money, but this seems very unlikely, as he worked hard on this for years, in three countries. His ideas were well ahead of their time: this would have been the first airship with a rigid structure, the first one that was not a sphere (I think), and the first one that could be propelled and steered. He originally planned it as a transport, but Emperors were more attracted to a project that could supposedly rain fire on enemy armies. The early part of the construction took place near Moscow, and as the French army (more than half of which was soldiers who were not French) approached and the Russian army, which had taken heavy casualties at Borodino, withdrew, some Muscovites hoped that the balloon would save their city. Tolstoy"s characters don"t take that seriously. The project was moved to a site near St. Petersburg. In 1814, the financing stopped and Leppich gave up and went back to Germany.

In retrospect, I should perhaps have hung back and let Top_Gunn's question run a bit longer. The hint about the comet was a giveaway, since it allowed the dates to be narrowed down quite a bit. I had already been thinking about one of the "Jules Verne" type balloon/flying machine designs prior to that, but that narrowed it down sufficiently to nail it. Great question, there. Let's see if I can do an equally good job. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:
  1. A large, heavy or heavily armed aircraft is sometimes referred to as a “tank”. This warbird would certainly qualify.
  2. It carried a crew of two.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM
RickC2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick guess

ilyushin Sturmovik?

RickC2
Old 09-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by RickC2
quick guess

ilyushin Sturmovik?

RickC2
No, not the flying tank, RickC2; but not a bad guess. So, here's an extra clue to reward your attempt to solve the puzzle. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  1. A large, heavy or heavily armed aircraft is sometimes referred to as a “tank”. This warbird would certainly qualify.
  3. This aircraft’s genesis began with the attempt, by several nations, to solve the same problem. Each nation eventually sought a solution which melded best with their tactical doctrines and the distinct characteristics of each army.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

A blimp, for lack of a better term? Talk about reaching on that one. His idea was only 100 years ahead of the tech to make it work. Even 50 years later, in the US Civil War, the few balloons that were used were tethered and filled with hot air

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-06-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:10 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
A blimp, for lack of a better term? Talk about reaching on that one. His idea was only 100 years ahead of the tech to make it work. Even 50 years later, in the US Civil War, the few balloons that were used were tethered and filled with hot air
No, Sir; not the Type B, Limp or any such inflatible. But here's a morning clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. This aircraft’s genesis began with the attempt, by several nations, to solve the same problem. Each nation eventually sought a solution which melded best with their tactical doctrines and the distinct characteristics of each army.
  4. And, of course, some nations sought a solution that was perhaps less technical and a bit more “brute force”. Such was the case in this instance.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  4. And, of course, some nations sought a solution that was perhaps less technical and a bit more “brute force”. Such was the case in this instance.
  5. The designer was asked to design an aircraft to fulfill a specific mission.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 AM
Ernie P.

A morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  6. He decided to try a radical approach to accomplishing that mission.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. At least one participant has figured it out. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. A prototype was built and tested, but it proved to be unworkable on its one and only flight.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. A prototype was built and tested, but it proved to be unworkable on its one and only flight.
  8. Despite being flown by one of the best pilots in the world, the test was aborted.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM
proptop

Antonov A-40?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
Antonov A-40?
That would be the one, proptop. Congratulations; and you are now up. As I said, this one was a real tank; the Soviet T-60 tank, in fact. Rather than use gliders to transport tanks into the battlefield, the Soviets wanted to put wings on the tank and glide it, complete with crew, directly into the fight. There, the tank crew would jettison the wings and tail assembly and off they would go. Unfortunately, it didn't work out very well. JohnnyS had figured this one out, but he didn't want to take the lead. So, it's over to you, proptop; take it away. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  8. Despite being flown by one of the best pilots in the world, the test was aborted.
  9. The basic problem was excessive drag; caused by the unorthodox shape.
  10. The excessive drag prevented the aircraft from achieving even the minimum acceptable speed.
  11. Although the aircraft did exhibit very pleasant flight characteristics.
  12. The motto of the Zen Shooting Team; “Be the bullet” would seem to apply.

Answer: The Soviet A-40 Flying Tank

The Antonov A-40 Krylya Tanka (Russian: крылья танка, meaning "tank wings") was a Soviet attempt to allow a tank to glide onto a battlefield after being towed aloft by an airplane, to support airborne forces or partisans. A prototype was built and tested in 1942, but was found to be unworkable. This vehicle is sometimes called the A-40T or KT.

Instead of loading light tanks onto gliders, as other nations had done, Soviet airborne forces had strapped T-27 tankettes underneath heavy bombers and landed them on airfields. In the 1930s there were experimental efforts to parachute tanks or simply drop them into water. During the 1940 occupation of Bessarabia, light tanks may have been dropped from a few meters up by TB-3 bombers, which as long as the gearbox was in neutral, would allow them to roll to a stop.

The biggest problem with air-dropping vehicles is that their crews drop separately, and may be delayed or prevented from bringing them into action. Gliders allow crews to arrive at the drop zone along with their vehicles. They also minimize exposure of the valuable towing aircraft, which need not appear over the battlefield. So the Soviet Air Force ordered Oleg Antonov to design a glider for landing tanks.

Antonov was more ambitious. Instead of building a glider, he added a detachable cradle to a T-60 light tank bearing large wood and fabric biplane wings and a twin tail. Such a tank could glide into the battlefield, drop its wings, and be ready to fight within minutes.

One T-60 was converted into a glider in 1942, intended to be towed by a Petlyakov Pe-8 or a Tupolev TB-3. The tank was lightened for air use by removing its armament, ammunition and headlights, and leaving a very limited amount of fuel. Even with the modifications, the TB-3 bomber had to ditch the glider during its only flight, on September 2, 1942, to avoid crashing, due to the T-60's extreme drag (although the tank reportedly glided smoothly). The A-40 was piloted by the famous Soviet experimental glider pilot Sergei Anokhin. The T-60 landed in a field near the airdrome, and after dropping the glider wings and tail, the driver returned it to its base. Due to the lack of a sufficiently-powerful aircraft to tow it at the required 160 km/h (99 mph), the project was abandoned.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

The Soviet Union continued to develop methods to efficiently deploy airborne vehicles. By the mid-1970s they were able to para-drop BMD-1 fighting vehicles with their crew aboard.

General characteristics
  • Crew: Two
  • Capacity: 1 Χ T-60 tank
  • Length: 12.06 m (39 ft 6Ύ in)
  • Wingspan: 18.00 m (59 ft 0Ύ in)
  • Wing area: 85.8 m[SUP]2[/SUP] (923.5 ft[SUP]2[/SUP])
  • Empty weight: 2,004 kg (4,418 lb)
  • Gross weight: 7,804 kg (17,205 lb)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 AM
proptop

After the first few clues that pic of the designer's model popped into my head...but I couldn't recall who or what country had made it...

Anyway...

I have a few new quiz ??? in mind and will have them ready later...tonight...
Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 PM
proptop

O.K....here goes...
Looking for an aircraft...

1) The first prototype was unstable...and nose heavy...not exactly what you'd call pilot friendly, especially in certain landing configurations.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Evenbigger D
My Feedback: (1)

Kaproni Bulgarski KB-11 Fazan
Old 09-08-2015, 05:39 PM
proptop

That has to be a record of some sort...or a reeeaaaalllyyyy lucky guess!?
How in the heck did you do that?

You're correct, and it's your turn now...
Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 AM
proptop

Originally Posted by Evenbigger D
Kaproni Bulgarski KB-11 Fazan

I picked what I thought would be a rather obscure aircraft...
Wasn't much available info...and was gonna be hard to come up with many clues...
Guess I don't have to worry 'bout that no mo tho...

Over to you Evenbigger D...
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 AM
Evenbigger D

At the time of its development this was one of the fastest of its type.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:27 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
That has to be a record of some sort...or a reeeaaaalllyyyy lucky guess!?
How in the heck did you do that?

You're correct, and it's your turn now...
Yeah; I'd like to get an answer to that one, Evenbigger D. How'd you catch on to that one so fast? Pretty impressive. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Evenbigger D

1) At the time of its development this was one of the fastest of its type.
2) Drag reduction was paramount in the design.

Quiz within a quiz
1a) My answer to proptop's question was not a guess
Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Ernie P.

Quiz within a quiz
Okay; answering the quiz within a quiz only. All right, I figured it out. You googled "prototype was unstable + nose heavy + certain landing configurations" and the Fazan popped up. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Evenbigger D

3) 19 were built but non survive

Quiz within a quiz
2a) It was not specifically Goggled however
Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 PM
pilotal

the northrop yb- 35/49 ?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Evenbigger D

Not a Northrop
4) Did not go into production due to "politics" the generally accepted reason but not necessarily confirmed.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Ernie P.

Not a Northrop
4) Did not go into production due to "politics" the generally accepted reason but not necessarily confirmed.
The number 19 seems to ring a bell. How about the He 100? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Heinkel He 100 was a German pre-World War II fighter aircraft design from Heinkel. Although it proved to be one of the fastest fighter aircraft in the world at the time of its development, the design was not ordered into series production. Approximately 19 prototypes and pre-production examples were built. None are known to have survived the war.
The reason for the He 100 failing to reach production status is mostly unknown. Officially, the Luftwaffe rejected the He 100 to concentrate single-seat fighter development on the Messerschmitt Bf 109. Following the adoption of the Bf 109 and Messerschmitt Bf 110 as the Luftwaffe's standard fighter types, the RLM announced a "rationalization" policy that placed fighter development at Messerschmitt and bomber development at Heinkel.
Because there are no surviving examples, and since many factory documents - including all blueprints for the He 100 - were destroyed during a bombing raid, there is limited specific information about the design and its unique systems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.