Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:33 AM
jimharley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thinking out loud. I'm pretty sure all the Caproni Bombers had 2 engines. The Zeppelin company
built a 4 engine bomber but it was limited. Another possible manufacturer is Martin.

Jim
Old 02-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me stir the pot a bit.

Looking for an airplane.

1. Four-engine monoplane

2. Used only by the country in which it was designed and built.

3. Fewer than 50 produced.

4. Fixed landing gear.

5. Engines were powerful but unreliable and burned a lot of oil.

6. At the time, it was the largest plane flown by the one service than used it.

7. Crew of up to six, depending on the particular mission.

8. One of the above clues, although absolutely accurate, is likely to lead many people astray.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 AM
jimharley

LOL...probably a flying boat...Martin Mars...R-3350 oil spewing monstrosity's with a beaching gear...although I think only 4 were built

Jim
Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Let me stir the pot a bit.

Looking for an airplane.

1. Four-engine monoplane

4. Fixed landing gear.

8. One of the above clues, although absolutely accurate, is likely to lead many people astray.

Would that particular clue be (4)? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Top_Gunn

Would that particular clue be (4)? Thanks; Ernie P.
Well, yes! Pretty sneaky, huh? Not the Mars, though. I think there were six of those, but that's just from my fallible (alas) memory.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 02-25-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

[h=1]Bolkhovitinov DB-A[/h]

BV-138

[h=1]Sikorsky Russky Vityaz[/h]
Old 02-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Bolkhovitinov DB-A

BV-138

Sikorsky Russky Vityaz

An excellent guess, but not the plane I'm looking for. I'm afraid Clue 4 has had its intended effect. (Insert evil-sounding chortle here.)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Ernie P.

Well, yes! Pretty sneaky, huh? Not the Mars, though. I think there were six of those, but that's just from my fallible (alas) memory.
Sneaky indeed, Sir. I, on the other hand, would never seek to mislead our dear participants. (-: 0 Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

Looking for an airplane.

1. Four-engine monoplane

4. Fixed landing gear.

9. It was the last plane designed by the company that designed it. A different company built it.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:57 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be o.k. to ask if the "landing gear" is a detachable beaching gear, or removable dolly that attaches to a flying boat...so it can be put into or taken out of the water (not an Amphibian)???
Old 02-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by proptop
Would it be o.k. to ask if the "landing gear" is a detachable beaching gear, or removable dolly that attaches to a flying boat...so it can be put into or taken out of the water (not an Amphibian)???
Not that kind of thing. It's ordinary fixed gear. Not beaching gear; not a dolly.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

Looking for an airplane.

1. Four-engine monoplane

4. Fixed landing gear.

9. It was the last plane designed by the company that designed it. A different company built it.

10. Noted, among other things, for its ability to land on short and unimproved runways.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue:

Looking for an airplane.

1. Four-engine monoplane

4. Fixed landing gear.

10. Noted, among other things, for its ability to land on short and unimproved runways.

Okay; I'll take a shot. How about the Me 323C? Thanks; Ernie P.

[h=3]Me 323[/h]Early in 1941, as a result offeedback from Transport Command pilots in Russia, the decision was taken toproduce a motorized variant of the Me 321, to be designated Me 323. It wasdecided to use French Gnome et Rhτne GR14N radial engines rated at1,180 PS (1,164 hp, 868 kW) for take-off as used in the Bloch MB.175 aircraft;using French engines was thought to place no burden on Germany's overstrainedindustry.
Initial tests were conductedusing four Gnome engines attached to a strengthened Me 321 wing, which gave amodest speed of 210 km/h (130 mph) – 80 km/h (50 mph)slower than the Ju 52transport aircraft. A fixed undercarriagewas fitted, which comprised four small wheels in a bogie at the front of the aircraft with six largerwheels in two lines of three at each side of the fuselage, partlycovered by an aerodynamic fairing. The rearwheels were fitted with pneumatic brakes,and could stop the aircraft within 200 m (660 ft).
The four-engined Me 323C wasconsidered merely a stepping stone to the six-engined D series; it stillrequired the five-engined HeinkelHe 111Z Zwillingor the highly dangerous, "vic-style"Troika-Schlepp formation of three MesserschmittBf 110heavyfighters and underwing-mounted WalterHWK 109-500Starthilferocket assisted takeoff units to get airborne whenfully loaded, but it could return to base under its own power when empty. Thiswas clearly not much better than the Me 321, so the V2 prototype became thefirst to have six engines and flew for the first time in early 1942, becomingthe prototype for the D series aircraft.
The selection of the six engines,and their specific placement on the wing's leading edge, were fitted toreduce torque – a trio of counterclockwise rotation enginesmounted on the port wing, and a trio of clockwise rotation engines on thestarboard wing as seen forward from "behind" each engine, resultingin the props rotating "away" from each other at the tops of theirarcs, as did the counter-rotating twin propellers on the Heinkel He 177.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Top_Gunn

Okay; I'll take a shot. How about the Me 323C? Thanks; Ernie P.
No, but as this afternoon's new clue will show, you are on the right track, though Clue 4 still seems to be working its evil magic. I have also fixed Clue 9 to remove a misleading ambiguity.

Monday afternoon clue:

Looking for an airplane.

1. Four-engine monoplane

4. Fixed landing gear.

9. It was the last plane designed by the company that designed it. A different company, formed by the merger of the designing company with another manufacturer, built it.

11. Its design owed something to a glider that had been manufactured by the company that designed it.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM
SimonCraig1

The Blackburn B-101 Beverley?

The RAF placed an order on 1 October 1952 for 20 aircraft as the Beverley C.1 (Beverley, Cargo Mark 1). Further orders were placed on 30 July 1954 for nine, 2 January 1956 for eight and another ten on 24 September 1956, a total order of 47 aircraft. All Beverleys would be built at Brough.
The aircraft was a high-wing cantilever monoplane with a fixed undercarriage. The large fuselage had a tailboom fitted with a tailplane with twin fins. The tailboom allowed access to the rear of the fuselage through removable clamshell doors. A 36 ft (11 m) main fuselage space was supplemented by passenger accommodation in the tailboom. The main cargo hold could accommodate 94 troops, with another 36 in the tailboom. In operation, it was regarded as "ungainly but highly effective" and was described by Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert Freer as "like something out of the Ark, but it was a superb supply dropper."[SUP][2][/SUP]
A device called an Elephant's Foot could be fitted under the centre of the fuselage just forward of the clamshell doors when it was in use. The foot was held in place by pins inserted through a triangular arrangement of attachment points on the fuselage and was fitted during loading to prevent the Beverley from tipping over when heavy items were loaded into the freight bay.[SUP][3][/SUP]
The aircraft was designed for carrying large bulkloads and landing on rough or imperfect runways, or mere dirt strips. It could trace its design back to the GAL49 Hamilcar glider of the Second World War. When it entered service it was the largest aircraft in the Royal Air Force (RAF). It had a large interior cargo area split into two levels which amounted to around 6,003 ft³ (170 m³) of space. Paratroopers in the upper passenger area jumped through a hatch in the base of the boom just in front of the leading edge of the tailplane. Paratroopers in the main body exited through side doors.
The Beverley was equipped with toilets, which were situated in the tail beyond the paratroop hatch located on the floor of the tailboom. One fatality was caused by a serviceman who fell twenty feet to the ground when exiting the toilet, unaware that the paratroop hatch had been opened. Modifications were made to prevent the toilet doors from being opened when the paratroop hatch was open.[SUP][3][/SUP]
In total, 49 of the aircraft were produced, with the last one being manufactured in 1958, and final retirement from RAF service was in 1967.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:36 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Arado Ar 232 ? There were 2 and 4 engined versions...
Old 02-27-2017, 03:20 PM
Top_Gunn

SimonCraig1 has it: The Blackburn Beverley it is!

A google search for images is well worth a couple of minutes of your time. The thing was huge: It could carry more paratroopers than a C-130.

The clue about the engines burning oil is from an account by a former Beverley pilot in a book edited by Ian William Cowie and David Martin Jones called "Out of the Blue." He said the engines were described as "oil burning/petrol cooled." The Beverley was good at what it did and its crews liked it. The same account says that an American pilot following one in the pattern once told the tower, which had told him to land after the Beverley, that he didn't know what a Beverly was and that he was following something that looked like a combine.

It seems astonishing to me that a cargo plane of that size that entered service in the 1950s would have fixed landing gear. But that did give me a clue almost guaranteed to send people to a considerably earlier time. Hey, as one of my favorite fictional characters once said, "We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked." Only one of the 49 that were built is left, in a small British museum.

You're up, SimonCraig1!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:43 PM
SimonCraig1

The fixed undercart certainly had me going, I was looking at 1930 era four engine bombers...

I'm looking for an aircraft:
1. With no fighter opposition, it had an enviable sortie/kill ratio against slower targets.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

How about the T-33?
At the "Bay of Pigs" invasion, it was actually as lethal to the American WWII era twin engine bombers flown by mixed CIA/Cuban crews as the Luftwaffe fighters were 20 years earlier

A second option would be the A6M Zero. Against the American Devastator torpedo planes, at Midway, only three Devastators survived, from VT6, out of two full squadrons when attacking without fighter cover against no Zero losses. Similar results were obtained against Midway's Vindicator dive bombers, which were virtually wiped out against no zero losses. It was against VT-3, when covered by six VF-3 Wildcats, and Dauntless dive bombers from the Enterprise, after they had dropped their loads, that the Zero took higher losses than any time previously in WWII

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 PM
jimharley

Great topic...I was rolling around WWI era airplanes...the fixed gear got me as well.

Jim
Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
SimonCraig1

Great guesses Hydro! But not the one I'm looking for:

1. With no fighter opposition, it had an enviable sortie/kill ratio against slower targets.
2. From its first sortie until it's last, almost two years later, one of the aircraft's pilots was killed.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That whittles it down to only a couple of planes, I'll leave the door open for a bit for others to take a shot
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Guess #1: Me262
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Guess 2: Arado 234
Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM
SimonCraig1

Good guesses but again not the one I'm looking for:

2. From its first sortie until it's last, almost two years later, one of the aircraft's pilots was killed.
3. It was a variant of a very well known aircraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.