Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimharley
Here is another...
1. I was designed in the late 30's
2. The design was an immediate success that evolved quickly to keep up with advancing technology
3. when production ended I had 56 distinct versions
4. My first incarnation had an open canopy
5. My Fuel burn is around 35 gallons per hour
6. I shared parts with the early version another airplane
7. This airplane has 2 seats
8. This airplane completed 11,063 sorties in Korea
9. One designer was well known in the 1930's racing circles

An interesting question. I find myself wondering if you're talking about the Fairey Battle/P.4/34/Fulmar/Firefly series of aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 PM
jimharley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good guess Ernie, but not the one.
2. The design was an immediate success that evolved quickly to keep up with advancing technology
10. This airplane was one of many in the lend lease program
Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM
jimharley

Here is another

11. It's last military operational sortie was in 1996
Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 PM
jimharley

Ok...here is another...I have a meeting this evening so I'll be away for about 4-5 hours...I'll leave you with another clue.

Jim

12. This airframe was produced by two plants in the US
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Almost sounds like a T-33 or F-80
Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Almost sounds like a T-33 or F-80
I don't think so, buddy; the F-80 was a single seater (although the T-33 did have two) and it certainly wasn't designed in the '30's. This one is a puzzler. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Hydro Junkie

How about the AT-6 Texan or, as the Navy called them, SNJ

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-10-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
jimharley

How about the AT-6 Texan or, as the Navy called them, SNJ
You got it!!! great job!

fixed gear to retractable, bigger engine. improved wing
got this from wiki...NA-16 through the AT-6G
Many parts were intertwined in the early Mustangs
The "Mosquito" version...rockets, bombs and .30 machine guns
Leon Atwood...Miles and Atwood Racer...he also helped design the Mustang
GB, Russia and quite a few other countries used this airplane during WWII
The south African Air Force retired 35 T-6s in 1996, making it the last military operator
12. This airframe was produced by two plants in the US
NA Inglewood and NA Dallas
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, I'm going to make this an easy one so that someone else can run a quiz for a while.
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This single seater had a design feature that's never been used on any other aircraft
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2017, 01:41 AM
jimharley

Hmmm Ryan Fireball?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Hydro Junkie

Nope, not the Fireball as there were other planes that had radial engines and turbines, the B-50 from my last quiz being one, the B-36 being another. Granted, the two bombers were not single seaters but they were dual powered.
Time for another clue or two:
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This single seater had a design feature that's never been used on any other aircraft
2) This high performance plane was designed and built by the same company that designed and built an earlier "legendary" single seater
3) This plane was used in two different roles in combat operations
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Ernie P.

Nope, not the Fireball as there were other planes that had radial engines and turbines, the B-50 from my last quiz being one, the B-36 being another. Granted, the two bombers were not single seaters but they were dual powered.
Time for another clue or two:
Looking for an aircraft:
2) This high performance plane was designed and built by the same company that designed and built an earlier "legendary" single seater
Good Luck
Okay; let's get the Me 163 out of the way first. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Hmmmm, the 163, does it fit the clues? Not quite.
It was the only OPERATIONAL rocket fighter and the only operational "tailless" fighter
it was high performance and built by Messerschmitt, builder of the ME-109 and ME-262
It was, however only used as a high speed bomber interceptor due to it's short range on limited fuel load, as far as I know anyway
So, let's get another clue out there, shall we:
Looking for an aircraft:
4) This plane was slightly slower, was shorter ranged and had a lower service ceiling than the plane that eventually replaced it, another "legendary" performer
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM
jimharley

Could be the Corsair...gull wing, single seat, followed the biplane Corsair, ground attack/fighter...followed by the Jet Corsair...

Jim
Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not the Corsair though it is a good guess. This next clue should give it away:
Looking for an aircraft:
4) This plane was slightly slower, was shorter ranged and had a lower service ceiling than the plane that eventually replaced it, another "legendary" performer
5) Unlike the plane that replaced it, the plane in question was armed with four cannon and "revolutionary" missiles that gave the country that operated both aircraft a major tactical advantage in combat
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Ernie P.

Not the Corsair though it is a good guess. This next clue should give it away:
Looking for an aircraft:
5) Unlike the plane that replaced it, the plane in question was armed with four cannon and "revolutionary" missiles that gave the country that operated both aircraft a major tactical advantage in combat
Good Luck
How about the Demon; an interceptor/all weather fighter which later utilized both the Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles? Thanks; Ernie P.

The McDonnell F3H Demon was a subsonic swept-wing United States Navy carrier-based jet fighter aircraft. The successor to the F2H Banshee, the Demon was redesigned with the J71 engine after severe problems with the Westinghouse J40 engine that was part of the original design but ultimately abandoned.[SUP][1][/SUP] Though it lacked sufficient power for supersonic performance, it complemented daylight dogfighters such as the Vought F8U Crusader and Grumman F11F Tiger as an all-weather, missile-armed interceptor[SUP][2][/SUP] until 1964.
It was withdrawn before it could serve in Vietnam when both it and the Crusader were replaced on Forrestal-class and similar supercarriers by the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II. McDonnell's Phantom, which was equally capable against ground, fighter and bomber targets, bears a strong family resemblance, as it was conceived as an advanced development of the Demon. The supersonic United States Air Force F-101 Voodoo was similar in layout, but was derived from the earlier XF-88 Voodoo, which also influenced the Demon's layout.

The F3H-2N's standard armament was four 20 mm (.79 in) Colt Mk 12 cannons. In later years, the upper two cannons were often omitted to save weight. Later models, redesignated F3H-2M, were equipped to fire the Raytheon AAM-N-2 Sparrow and later the Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. Deployed aircraft carried both types of missiles, the Sparrow on the inboard rails and the Sidewinder outboard. Cannons were not used in carrier air defense applications, but they were installed and armed when situations (such as the Cuban Missile Crisis) dictated, and where the aircraft might be deployed against surface targets.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not the Demon. I figured that last clue would give it away. Guess I need to give you guys another clue or, better yet, two:
Looking for an aircraft:
6) This plane, the one that replaced it and an attack plane from the same era all used the same basic engine. The version on this plane had twice the power of the one used on the attack plane and slightly more than the version used in the plane that replaced it. It also had 23% more power than the Demon from Ernie's last guess
7) A preproduction version of this aircraft, while being flown by a two war veteran pilot, set a record for the lowest time needed to cross it's country. The pilot would later become a legislator and set two historical marks in aviation AFTER RETIRING from the military
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-11-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 PM
jimharley

Harrier?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not the Harrier. You guys have me almost pulling my hair out, trying to give clues that are at least a little vague. Here we go again:
Looking for an aircraft:
6) This plane, the one that replaced it and an attack plane from the same era all used the same basic engine. The version on this plane had twice the power of the one used on the attack plane and slightly more than the version used in the plane that replaced it. It also had 23% more power than the Demon from Ernie's last guess
7) A preproduction version of this aircraft, while being flown by a two war veteran pilot, set a record for the lowest time needed to cross it's country. The pilot would later become a legislator and set two historical marks in aviation AFTER RETIRING from the military
8) The record setting pilot flew this plane AFTER flying the earlier legendary single seater(clue 2), an "iron" single seater and a second legendary single seater in which he got three kills. Each plane got successively faster than the former plane flown
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-11-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vought F8 Crusader ?

Last edited by pd1; 01-12-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

Looks like I get to go over the clues since PD1 got it. I was surprised that both Jim and Ernie missed it considering Ernie actually mentioned it in his Demon guess. Anyway, time to go over the clues:
The Crusader had a wing that increased the AOA +7 degrees for short take offs and landings
The Crusader was build by Vought, the same company that build the F4U Corsair and later A-7 Corsair II
It was used as an air superiority fighter and a photographic recon plane
4) This plane was slightly slower, was shorter ranged and had a lower service ceiling than the plane that eventually replaced it, another "legendary" performer The F4 Phantom II series
The Crusader was armed with four 20mm cannon as well as early Sidewinder and Sparrow missiles. The Phantom was originally not equipped with any sort of gun, only missiles
The F-4, F-8 and A3 all used the J-57. The -10 used on the A-3 had 9000 lbs of thrust, the -17 on the Phantom had 17000 lbs if thrust(with afterburner) while the -20 used in the Crusader had 18000 lbs of thrust(with afterburner). The Demon was equipped with an Allison J-71 with 13000 lbs of thrust
John Glenn flew a Crusader from Los Angeles to New York in 3 hours and 23 minutes, including three midair refueling "stops". He later piloted "Friendship 7" of the Gemini space program manually for three orbits of the earth, the first pilot to achieve actual orbit. He returned to space 37 years later on the space shuttle Discovery at the age of 77, the oldest person to go into space. He was also a four term senator from the state of Ohio
8) The record setting pilot flew this plane AFTER flying the earlier legendary single seater(clue 2), an "iron" single seater and a second legendary single seater in which he got three kills. Each plane got successively faster than the former plane flown
Glenn flew 59 ground support missions in a Marine F4U Corsair from land bases over the Pacific during WWII, 63 more in the Grumman F9F Cougar and a further 27 in the F-86 Sabre while flying with the Air Force
Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 AM
pd1

I'll be around for a couple of days so I'll post what I have,

1. Military design based on an existing civilian design.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM
pd1

2. Civilian version designed in 1940, military version designed in 1948.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 AM
pd1

Here's a couple of more clues.

3. Less that 30 were made.
4. Although the sales were poor, the company had made other aircraft that sold extremely well.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM
pd1

A couple more clues.
3. Less that 30 were made.
4. Although the sales were poor, the company had made other aircraft that sold extremely well.
5. Company was well known for being innovative in their designs.
6. All metal 2 seat observer with tandem style seating, very conventional design for this company.
7. Most were sold to overseas air forces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.