Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:46 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope....think across the pond...
Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM
proptop

1) Shares its designation with another "Icon" of the Aviation Industry...

2) Experimental test aircraft for a new, at the time planform...

3) Planform the was tested / used by many countries and their various manuf. but has fallen out of favor

4) Experimental aircraft...a predecessor to another, rather famous aircraft...(which was built by the same manuf.)

5) Sources say 5 were built...but it was a test aircraft for another, which reached much higher production numbers...
6) There were single and two seat versions of this, what might be called "scale model" of a much larger aircraft...

7) Used to test high AND low speed characteristics of this particular planform...

8) Not a great deal was known, at the time, about the above mentioned planform...

9) After the war...WWII...everyone was interested in speed...and the then new propulsion system...no propellors!

10) After WWII some interesting data was recovered / discovered...thinking of tail-less aircraft...

11) Alexander Lippisch might not have been involved directly, but his ideas and theories influenced or provided reference material for our subject aircraft...

12) Single engine...

13) The latest craze...at the time...Jet propulsion...
Old 03-22-2018, 03:52 PM
proptop

3) Planform the was tested / used by many countries and their various manuf. but has fallen out of favor

4) Experimental aircraft...a predecessor to another, rather famous aircraft...(which was built by the same manuf.)

5) Sources say 5 were built...but it was a test aircraft for another, which reached much higher production numbers...
6) There were single and two seat versions of this, what might be called "scale model" of a much larger aircraft...

7) Used to test high AND low speed characteristics of this particular planform...

8) Not a great deal was known, at the time, about the above mentioned planform...

9) After the war...WWII...everyone was interested in speed...and the then new propulsion system...no propellors!

10) After WWII some interesting data was recovered / discovered...thinking of tail-less aircraft...

11) Alexander Lippisch might not have been involved directly, but his ideas and theories influenced or provided reference material for our subject aircraft...

12) Single engine...

14) The "Icon" mentioned in clue number 1 is on our side of the big water...but the aircraft in question belongs to an allied group...
Old 03-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, wait a second.... One engine, not two. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Ernie P.

Okay. Some days I'm a bit slow. That plane. Three up and three down. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:43 PM
proptop

I'm a bit slower these days too...most of the time...whatareyagonnado...?

12) Single engine...

14) The "Icon" mentioned in clue number 1 is on our side of the big water...but the aircraft in question belongs to an allied group...

15) Our subject aircraft was / is a very nice and distinctive looking aircraft, as is the much larger Bomber that developed later.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
I'm a bit slower these days too...most of the time...whatareyagonnado...?

12) Single engine...

15) Our subject aircraft was / is a very nice and distinctive looking aircraft, as is the much larger Bomber that developed later.
Sir; unless you're tired of the question or running out of clues, I'm going to let it run a bit more. This one really is an interesting aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:51 AM
proptop

12) Single engine...
14) The "Icon" mentioned in clue number 1 is on our side of the big water...but
the aircraft in question belongs to an allied group...
16) Different intakes for the engine were tried...one was a NACA duct on the top of fuse. between canopy anf fin, and there were versions with intakes in the wing roots...

Last edited by proptop; 03-23-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:06 AM
proptop

Hi Ernie...not really a problem with new clues...(as in comming up with them) it's a Meds schedule that causes drowziness and frequent napping...and no standard sleep / wake cycle...and I don't want to give it away too soon either, as I might have done in the past...

New clue, if necessary, comming up shortly...
Old 03-23-2018, 05:09 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

DH 108 Swallow comes to mind....but doesn't quite fit the clues and the Brits would never use a US engine...... after all they (claim) invented the Jet Engine!
Sparky
Old 03-23-2018, 05:23 AM
proptop

You are very close elmshoot...country of origin is the same...
Old 03-23-2018, 05:26 AM
proptop

12) Single engine...
16) Different intakes for the engine were tried...one was a NACA duct on the top of fuse. between canopy anf fin, and there were versions with intakes in the wing roots...
17) The "Icon" and the bomber that sprang (sprung...springed...?) from our subject aircraft both had 4 jet engines...
18) The icon being U.S. and the famous bomber British...
Old 03-23-2018, 04:04 PM
proptop

12) Single engine...
17) The "Icon" and the bomber that sprang (sprung...springed...?) from our subject aircraft both had 4 jet engines...
19)The Bomber that grew from our quiz a/c appeared in a mid '60's James Bond 007 movie...
Old 03-24-2018, 05:48 AM
proptop

12) Single engine...
19)The Bomber that grew from our quiz a/c appeared in a mid '60's James Bond 007 movie...
20) The manuf. Co. (now defunct) was Established pre WWI...108 years ago to be exact...

Last edited by proptop; 03-24-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 AM
proptop

12) Single engine...
20) The manuf. Co. (now defunct) was Established pre WWI...108 years ago to be exact...
21) This Co. has produced a number of successful, and famous aircraft...
Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 AM
elmshoot

Yep, I posted the answer but it never showed up.
Avro 707
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 AM
elmshoot

It wont let me cut and paste the info from Wiki
Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 AM
elmshoot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_707

see if this works

Sparky
Old 03-24-2018, 07:53 AM
proptop

Ah...there we go...I had some issues this morning too...

You got it Sparky!

Edit: let's see iffn it works this time...
The father of a good friend was stationed in England for some time...in the 60's...and he had some cool pics that he shared....(memories...)

Last edited by proptop; 03-24-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 AM
proptop

Tried the copy and paste too but had to wait a bit...might be a timer...like trying to post too soon after editing, or too close together maybe?

Or just a "Bug"?

You are up...and thanks
Old 03-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Ernie P.

Here's what I prepared a few days ago. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Avro 707 (also known as Type 707) was a British experimental aircraft built to test the tailless thick delta wing configuration chosen for the Avro 698 jet bomber, later named the Vulcan. In particular, the low-speed characteristics of such aircraft were not well known at the time. Aerodynamically, it was a one third scale version of the Vulcan. The 707 was a "proof-of-concept" delta design that was principally the work of Stuart D. Davies, Avro chief designer. The diminutive experimental aircraft initially incorporated a wing with about 50° sweep, without a horizontal tail on a fin with trailing edge sweep. The trailing edge of the wing carried two pairs of control surfaces: inboard elevators and outboard ailerons. Retractable airbrakes were provided above and below the wings.[1] The prototypes were ordered by the Ministry of Supply to Specification E.15/48. The aircraft were produced quickly using a few components from other aircraft including the first prototype using a Gloster Meteor canopy.[N 1]
[3]

The 707 programme provided valuable insights into the Vulcan's flight characteristics, most of the information coming from the second and third prototypes which flew before the Vulcan. All 707s were powered by a single
Rolls-Royce Derwent centrifugal turbojet. The air intake on the first prototype and later 707B was located on the upper rear fuselage.[4] Five 707s were built altogether. The first, the Avro 707, VX784 first flew from Boscombe Down on 4 September 1949 with S.E. "Red" Esler, at the controls.[2] The prototype crashed less than a month later, on 30 September, near Blackbushe.[N 3]
[6]

The next prototype, VX790, renamed the 707B, had a longer nose, different cockpit canopy, a wing of different (51°) sweep and a longer nose wheel leg to provide the high angle of incidence required by deltas for landing and take off. The 707B was given the same dorsal engine intake as the 707, although this was later modified to a NACA design. It first flew on 6 September 1950. Both these aircraft were built to test low speed characteristics.The third aircraft, designated 707A, WD280 was built for higher speed testing. Experience with the dorsal intake of the earlier 707 and 707B had shown that as speed increased, the cockpit induced turbulence which interrupted the intake airflow, so the intakes were moved to the wing roots.[7] When the Vulcan appeared, it looked very much like an enlarged 707A. Later, this 707A was used to test the compound leading edge sweep subsequently used on all Vulcans. Although the first Vulcan prototype was already flying, a second 707A WZ736 was built to speed the development programme, making its maiden fight on 20 February 1953.

The final variant was the two-seat 707C; originally four examples were ordered by the RAF for use in orientation training revolving around flying aircraft with delta wing configurations. The 707C had "side-by-side" seating with dual-controls but the production order was cancelled with only the sole prototype, WZ744 built.[7] The 707C had its maiden flight on 1 July 1953 and was ultimately employed in other research that did not involve Vulcan development.[8]
Two Avro 707As, a 707B and a 707C with both Vulcan prototypes at the SBAC Farnborough Air Show in September 1953

Even after the Vulcan development phase was over, the four surviving 707s, resplendent in individual bright blue, red, orange and silver (natural metal) colour schemes, continued in use as research aircraft.[8] After the compound sweep investigation[9] and a period with the Royal Aircraft Establishment (R.A.E) carrying out handling trials with powered controls,[10] the first 707A went to the Aeronautical Research Laboratories in Australia for low-speed delta wing airflow measurements. The second 707A was also at the R.A.E from June 1953 for aerodynamic and later, automatic control investigations.

The Avro 707B joined the R.A.E. in September 1952[10] and was one of the aircraft used by the Empire Test Pilots School from January to September 1956,[11] when it was damaged on landing, and broken up at R.A.E. Bedford.[7] The two-seat 707C joined the R.A.E. January 1956; perhaps its most substantial research contribution was to the development of fly-by-wire control systems, one of the first of their kind, and fitted with a side stick controller. This aircraft was flying with the R.A.E. until September 1966 when it achieved its full airframe time.[12]

The Avro 707s made public appearances at the Farnborough Airshows in both September 1952 and 1953. In 1952, the first prototype Vulcan flew with the 707s A and B and in 1953, the four surviving 707s flew alongside the first two Avro 698 Vulcan prototypes.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 03-24-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:40 AM
proptop

Thanks for that, Ernie...
We had some kind of Hitch in the git-along yesterday...(seems o.k. today?)

The "Icon" would be the Boeing 707

The Vulcan bomber made an appearance...played an important role, in the movie "Thunderball" 1965...(James Bond 007)

While talking to a buddy on the phone, he was remembering his time as a child, in England, when his dad (in the USAF) was stationed there...talked about the Vulcan and its development...

But...anywayze...over to you elmshoot...and thanks...
Old 03-25-2018, 06:34 AM
elmshoot

Open to Lurkers.
I'll post a clue Monday PM if we have no takers. You guys are much better at this. I did learn a bit about airplanes (and enjoyed it too) in my research on this one.
I prefer warbirds over people.
Sparky
Old 03-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And I totally agree, prefer the birds over the people. That said, I'm going to hit you with and "easy" person question.
1) This person flew in combat
2) This person enlisted as an enlisted man but, due to civilian flight hours and a college degree, was commissioned
3) This person retired after a 25+ year career in the military
4) This person retired at "flag" rank, a rank he held for almost 10 years
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-25-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

No takers yet? I figured this would go on the first set of clues. I guess it's time for another one, or three:
1) This person flew in combat
2) This person enlisted as an enlisted man but, due to civilian flight hours and a college degree, was commissioned
3) This person retired after a 25+ year career in the military
4) This person retired at "flag" rank, a rank he held for almost 10 years
5) This person flew both single and multi-engine planes as an instructor
6) This person flew multi-engine aircraft on combat misions
7) This person later flew "state of the art" aircraft while in command of an air groupe
Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.