Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

I can't speak about the retracts, but I have a rcgf 20 cc in my .60 corsair. Balances fine and plenty of power. The only disappointing thing is the large muffler. Tough to keep it in the cowl. I highly recommend this set up, though.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
scratchbuilder46

Dan, ESM retracts too big. Already checked this. I think the 20cc will be too much power. A 15cc may be a better engine if you are thinking gas. I have an O&S.91 2 stroke in mine and if the AT-6 is any indication of how well this motor will work, my AT-6 had a .61 O&S in it and it flew just fine. My next one will have a Super tigre .75 in it just because that is an engine I have available. I think the weight limit on this F4U is about 11-12lbs tops. Any thing more and you will by trying to land a brick. My TF P-51 is right at 10 lbs and it flies great with a .91 O&S four stroke. I am sure you will get more answers from this forum, just my 2 cents worth. Don't mean to start a fight about weight and motors, just letting you know what has worked for me. Good luck on the build, this bird is a challange but more that worth the effort. The modifications on this thread will really make this one stand out if you are so inclined to add them. Some are a challange and some are a simple adjustment with a little sanding and arrangement of parts. Check out Robart, Century Jet and Sierra for your retracts. You have a choice and the cost will go accordingly........
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
DanS
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info on the retracts. I'll probably go with Robart and oleo struts. I have an OS 75 AX I can drop in and wouldn't have to cut the cowl. I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
scubajohn

hi all
my dad and I are building a top flight corsair now and need help in the retracts and flaps department i am sure this has been covered but i would like the most up to date ideas

so what is the best retracts including tail wheel retract  for the corsair ours is a older kit 90's? 1/8 scale topflight 

and i am thinking about six mini servos for the flaps to reduce fluter is this a good idea again

thanks and i am glad you all are here
Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 AM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scubajohn,

For my money I would go with Sierra retracks $270.00. Robarts are good for runways but can't really stand up to grass fields and hard landings, just my opinion. As for the flap system think about this, what type of current draw will six miny servos have on an 4.8 volt to 6 volt system. For my money keep it simple stay with two normal servo's with 40 to 50 ounce inch of torque. As for a tail retract, Robarts makes a plastic retract it's not the best but will work or you can build one to fit into the TF Corsair. Here is a link to the build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70..._1/key_/tm.htm Good luck with your build post some pics of your progress.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
budmo

I just have 1 standard servo in each wing for flaps. It's set up per TF instructions except I have a scale blade in between the inner and center flap sections instead of pins.

I've never heard of anyone using a mini servo for each flap. Sounds expensive and heavy.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: scubajohn
hi all
my dad and I are building a top flight corsair now and need help in the retracts and flaps department i am sure this has been covered but i would like the most up to date ideas

so what is the best retracts including tail wheel retract for the corsair ours is a older kit 90's? 1/8 scale topflight

and i am thinking about six mini servos for the flaps to reduce fluter is this a good idea again

thanks and i am glad you all are here
If I took the time to post it, I won't take the time to re-post it. Maybe you would be better off starting a new thread, with a poll.
As for flap flutter: I have never encountered it. My setup: 2 std Futaba BB servos (1 each wing: S3004).
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 AM
budmo

Exhaust Pipes

3/8" aluminum tubing glued into 1/8" ply.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59624.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1586667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49973.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	1586668  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
poot43725

Hi
I'm almost ready to hang an engine on my T/F GE corsair and was wondering what would be a good chocie to put on her
open to all brands haven't chose any yet just like to hear from those who have built this bird
thank you
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: poot43725
Hi
I'm almost ready to hang an engine on my T/F GE corsair and was wondering what would be a good chocie to put on her
open to all brands haven't chose any yet just like to hear from those who have built this bird
thank you
If we gotta go there, please tell us more about your model. Specifically: how much do you expect it to weigh with engine/ ready to fly (minus fuel). Also, what are you looking for as far as performance goes: a skyrocket, scale flight, or somewhere in between. Also, you might indicate whether you prefer 2 stroke OR 4 stroke engines.

May as well remove my subscription for a few days.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
RCGuy41

poot43725,

O.K., if you are going to put a 2S engine on the nose of your Corsair use a .75 to a 1.08 OS. If you want t use a 4S engine start with a .71 and go as high as 1.2 OS. Now if you haven't noticed I'm partial to OS engines, other's like K&B, YS, SAITO, Super Tigre, and Magnum engines it's what you can afford and what you want your plane to do. Ask plenty of questions, you will get plenty of answers. I have installed a OS 1.2 FS engine with pump turning a 14X8 MAS three bladed prop.

Brad
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
poot43725

o.k. thanks i probaly should have provided some background on her
she will probaly top out around 12 - 13 pounds with air retracts on mains and tailwheel
i bought robarts but leery of them, they don't look like they can take a rough landing let alone a hard one, got to much time and money wrapped up in this bird to prang it on landing
may design my own and make them, actual pictures of a corsairs landing gear or where i can get prints would be appreciated
lightening it as much as posible as i build without affecting structural integrity
prefer 4 stroke but i still want to contain as much in the cowl as possible, don't like a big ole muffler hanging out
with the heavy weight will need power for manuevers
working on designing folding wings on this size (i've heard they don't recommend them for this size, but i'm going to take a shot at it)
going to design my own using cad this may not pan out, but am going to trying to do it, let yall know if it does
so more lightening needs done
so with all this, power is probably going to be a plus
probably willing to spend 400$ for engine
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Ice5

Then go with the RCV 120sp. That is what I am doing with Josh Salvador's hubs with huge 3 blade (close to scale) prop. Folding wings, watch that weight!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
poot43725

got you on the 120, going to need power for this if everything works out
on the weight issue, lightening as much as possible, ie, hollowing out the turtle deck and maybe putting a carbon fiber rod in to reinforce it, hollowing out wingtips, putting a pull-pull system on the tailwheel for steering and running off of the rudder servo saving the weight of an additional servo since i have a cockpit kit going to remove the cockpit deck and just put strips to support the kit and brace the formers
every little bit removed helps me obtain my goal but as i said i will keep the structural integrity intact
going to design mechanism out of light weight material
maybe a composite, figure the heaviest parts will be the air cylinders, this idea might not work
don't know, but really won't know if i don't try
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
poot43725

wondering if anyone has any info on the foothold that is in the inboard (i think on the right side) flap
Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: poot43725

Hi
thank you
Engine weights:

DLE20 Weight: 28.9 oz
Super Tiger 75: Weight with muffler: 766g (27oz)
OS 91 4 stroke: Weight-With Muffler: 24.2oz (686g)
OS 120 4 stroke: Weight-With Muffler: 35.3oz (1000g)

Looks like not much difference to me in the weight

Ed
Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Ice5

Its always better to have usable weight as opposed to dead weight in any aircraft. I will take an engine's weight to lead in the nose in a warbird anytime.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

whereas I'll move as much weight foward.. avoiding lead. at least, thats my preference.
otherwise I prefer to keep the engine as light as possible with the most horsepower.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
CorsairJock

At 12 lbs, a 1.20 is in order. The Robarts aren't going to handle that weight very well either, but then again: NO retracts are crash proof. The RCVs are nice, BUT: they weigh a good deal more than any other 4 stroke of comparable displacement.

Some actually think weight is a good thing: I adamatly disagree. Lighter is better in all ways, and is especially easier on the retracts. I prefer Saitos, because they traditionally are lighter than comparable O.S. 4 stroke engines, and as a result: have higher power to weight ratio.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Ice5

I completely agree but with the short nosed warbirds such as the Corsair you will be putting dead weight in the nose.. so it might as well be an engine.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
CorsairJock

And I'm gonna DISAGREE with that: I have NEVER had to add wieght to the nose of ANY Corsair that I have owned, not even the one that has a Saito .82. Not even the electric powerd Hangar 9 one which has a 12 oz brushless motor.

Some Corsair advice: if the put the CG too far forward, it's tendency to nose over while on the ground will be greatly increase.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
budmo

The nose on the Top Flite Corsair is too long and needs to be shortened to be closer to scale.
When you shorten the nose to the correct length, a lighter weight engine will not balance the plane.
I believe they designed it longer to help with the weight/balance issue.

I shortened the nose on mine and it looks about right to me now.
It has an OS 120 FS in it and it balances without adding lead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40099.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1591049  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
CorsairJock

Looking pretty darn GOOD, budmo.
My Saito .82 powered one has shortened nose also (about 1/4" from the cowl, not enough to be true scale, but better than unmodified version). The trick is to keep the tail light. Every ounce in the rear needs more than double that amount to balance in the nose.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM
budmo

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Looking pretty darn GOOD, budmo.
My Saito .82 powered one has shortened nose also (about 1/4" from the cowl, not enough to be true scale, but better than unmodified version). The trick is to keep the tail light. Every ounce in the rear needs more than double that amount to balance in the nose.

Thank you! I hope to have it painted this weekend.

I'm curious.. What changes did you make to keep the tail light?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
CorsairJock

MonoKote.

It's not so much that I did anything special, as it is that so many modelers ADD weight. 'Glass and paint looks great, but adds weight, and since tail sticks out much farther than the nose: it adds more weight to the tail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.