Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
budmo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Thanks Chad

Did you go to the 1/8th Air Force event they just had? I went both days.

The diameter is 19" I built it from scratch from an article I read on TomPierce.net
I built it for my Jemco corsair, its a bit small for the Top Flite, but close enough not to build another one.

-John
Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: budmo

Thanks Chad

Did you go to the 1/8th Air Force event they just had? I went both days.

The diameter is 19'' I built it from scratch from an article I read on TomPierce.net
I built it for my Jemco corsair, its a bit small for the Top Flite, but close enough not to build another one.

-John
I went on Saturday John. I'm a 1/8 AF member and rarely miss one of our events. Your scratch built scale prop looks great. I need one 19.5 inches for my Hellcat but 19 would be close enough for me! I see that Aerotech advertises a 1/8 scale Ham Standard prop but I would like to see what it looks like before shelling out the $60! I thought maybe yours was the Aerotech unit. Let me know if you plan to attend the March event and I will be sure to look you up so we can put faces to names. I'd love to get my Hellcat together with your Corsair when they are done seeing as how they are the same scale. Would be a nice photo op!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: budmo

progress pic - anyone have any good advice about hinging the gear doors?

This place has offset hinges.

http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=226
Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 PM
budmo

I went on Saturday John. I'm a 1/8 AF member and rarely miss one of our events. Your scratch built scale prop looks great. I need one 19.5 inches for my Hellcat but 19 would be close enough for me! I see that Aerotech advertises a 1/8 scale Ham Standard prop but I would like to see what it looks like before shelling out the $60! I thought maybe yours was the Aerotech unit. Let me know if you plan to attend the March event and I will be sure to look you up so we can put faces to names. I'd love to get my Hellcat together with your Corsair when they are done seeing as how they are the same scale. Would be a nice photo op!

[/quote]

Thanks! That sounds good, hopefully this Top Flite will be ready by then, if not I can bring the Jemco.

Thank you saramos.. I think I figured out the main gear door hinging issue. I think its not working because I need to move the hinge line out from the bay by at least 1/8" because of the curvature of the airfoil, maybe even more like 1/4".

-John

The following users liked this post:
Jbuckmin (12-28-2020)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 PM
budmo

Hey Chad

I found your Hellcat build.. nice work!
The rivets look awesome, then again, I'm kinda glad the Corsair doesnt have them  

By the way, the cost of the parts needed to make that prop is about $5. It's a matter of patience which clearly you have.
It's made from 2 diameters of PVC pipe, 1/2" x 3" pine wood, toothpicks and some filler.

-John
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, this isn't a chat room. People are having a hard enough time locating useful info in this thread, they don't need chat which is completely unlrelated to the subject (Top Flite Corsair) to have to sift thru too. Please consider using "PM" or email.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Ice5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.. Jock!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Roger that Corsair Jock, my bad. And I know better too!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
acerc

Corsair jock, from what I've seen you seem to be the man. Just the man to answer a question for me.
What is the engineright thrust on a full size and what would you recommend?
I'm finishing up a TFGE 88inch and it called for 3 degs, look's, not so good to me.

Thank's
Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most, if not all fighters of WW II era did not have any engine offset. Instead, they had FIN offset. Corsair is one, Mustang another, but I don't remember the numbers, maybe 2 deg (to act as 'right rudder').
Also, most (including Corsair) did not have downtrust (Mustang maybe did?). Thet DID have pos wing incidence. The early posts cover most of this.

I like just a slight amount of right thrust offset, maybe 1 deg., just enough to err in the correct direction. You MUST be a good rudder pilot if you are contemplating removing any or all right thrust, you will need to apply right rudder anytime you add power while aircraft is at reduced speeds.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
acerc

Thank's Corsair Jock.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
saramos

From the Erection and Maintenance Manual for the F4U-1, 1C, 1D, the main wing incidence is +2 deg. Horizontal Stabilizer is +1.25 deg, and Fin offset is 2 deg.

There is no offset or downthrust of the engine. The centerline of the prop shaft defines the vertical and horizontal reference of the fuselage. That line exits the rear of the plane along the tail gear door about 8" in front of the arresting hook. The tip of the tail is about 11 5/8" above that line. This line is the reference for the wing, stab and fin offsets.

Scott
Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 AM
acerc

Thank's Corsair Jock and saramos, I think I'll leave it at 3 for now. Did'nt know about the fin offset, next time.
Any of you guy's that have an abundance of knowledge and a wealth of info ever think of putting it into a cd I'd be first in line to buy it.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM
budmo

I'd like to share a little something I recently figured out on flying props.

Because glow engines turn such high RPMs, it occurred to me that painting 1 prop tip yellow instead of both, the effect would be closer to scale.
So I painted the front prop tip yellow on one blade and the back of the opposite blade to keep balanced.

Looks better to me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/j5match?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/r9nGpNix6cg
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
saramos

Neet effect.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
budmo

Hey everyone-

What is the best way to hinge the tailwheel doors?

-John
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
scratchbuilder46

I don't have a camera to take pictures so a written discription of how I did it will have to do. I got some miniature hinges from Nelson Hobby Supply. If I remember they were the 3/8 width ones. Where the stringer for the aft part of the fuse goes to the tail, I substituted a couple pieces of spruce to anchor one side of the hinge to. The one thing to do is substitute a smaller dia. wire for the hinge wire so the doors will swing free and easy. I used 00 size button head allen screws to hold one side of the hinge to the spruce and the smallest nut and bolts I could get from Microfasteners to hold the other side of the hinge to the door. If you order the 00 screws, don't forget to order a couple of allen wrenches along with them. The trick will be opening and closing the doors. I am having a heck of a time getting the door to close without hitting the axle of the tail wheel. I think I will have to move the closing point closer to the pivot point of the tailwheel. I am using elastic thread to pull the door closed, just havn't found that sweet spot to get things to work. I don't want to use another servo to drive the doors as it is really tight back there and I don't want to go chopping things up. It will work out somehow. Let me know if any of you come up with something in the mean time......
Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 AM
budmo

Thanks SB46. Has anyone tried offset hinges?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Ice5

I have on my T-34 and I will be using them on the F4-U.. http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/carbon1.htm #BVM5525
The best to use, hands down. Split or together I have used them both ways.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Brendo

Hi All,

Just thought I would say hello and show a couple of pics of my corsair. It was given to me a couple of years ago by a very generous friend who didn't want it anymore. It come complete with engine and robart retracts, a couple of servos and the wing and fuse sheeted ready for to be aligned. Since then I have had to complete ailerons, flaps and the rear fuse shaping and align the wing and stab. Other mods which I have included are full functioning sliding canopy, gear doors which wasn't an easy task since the wheel wells were cut out, rotary drive system on the ailerons and Top flite cockpit and engine dummy. I did try and flare the cowl but it didn't work out to well. I have since cut the cowl and glued some flaps to it and have made a mould of it. Hope to have the finished cowl down in the next week or so. 

This forum has provided a lot of inspiration for me and hopefully it won't be long before I get to fly this baby!

Cheers
Brendan

Old 02-19-2011, 08:22 PM
budmo

Whenever I've thought about rotating the engine like that I worry about lateral balance.

I did some work on my baffle/dummy P&W R-2800..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11059.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1566785  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great looking bird. There is a guy on ebay who amkes re-production aluminum spun cowls for the 1/8th royal kit and it would match yours deinately.
I bought one for my royal kit and it is dead on!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Marutaka-B...item3ef5beb3bd

I know the link is for the b-25 cowls but he also does the .60 sized 1/8th royal corsair.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82039.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1567050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17880.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1567051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl55860.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1567052  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Brendo

Budmo,
I did do a lateral balance before and after the engine installation. For some reason the left wing is still heavier than the right after balancing with the engine installed. Not sure why that is.

I-fly-any-and-all,

Thanks. Great looking cowls but he doesn't have anymore listed. Not far off doing the first cowl out of my mould so I hope it works.

Cheers
Brendan

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

message him on ebay he has several made up.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
DanS

I have this kit on the shelf and will be starting it shortly. I am getting items together and wondered if anyone has looked at the ESM retracts for their 74" Corsair and if they could be fit into the TF Corsair? I'm leaning toward the DLE 20 for power and would like to know if anyone has used it in this plane yet? Thanks for all the excellent info in this thread! I will be putting much of it to good use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.