Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Kwik.....

Stab getting sloppy? I have no idea what you and Stoat are talking about.........I glued the tubes in (front and rear) to one half of the horizontal stab. Then slid them through the fuse and glued the other half of the stab on and both halves were glued to the fuse.........How could that get sloppy?

JUST ASKIN

CAPTAIN RON

Stoat..........good news on your Corsair..........40 flights and your doing a tear down and what sounds like a rebuild? OK, I got one (the maiden) and did a light tear down.....which is always smart after the maiden. Lost one screw out of the cowl and that was absolutely it. I'm glad this forum is back on the 1st page, I hate having to go looking for it..........
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM
stoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah grasshopper, Kwik and I hatched a cunning plan a while ago to have removeable stabs on out birds (for ease of transport you understand...) so I figured I would do it the same as my Tigercat. After having a good look and think, helped along by some premium cider, I decided to go a slightly different route and make a tube for the stab spar to slide into. From memory, Kwik just had his supported by the fuse sides? With this system the fuse sides will wear over time and vibration and open up causing the afore mentioned case of the sloppies. Easy fix.
Those who glued their stabs on will be imune from this issue...

also, less of a re-build and more like finishing the damn build. I always do this... 3/4 built and flying and thats as far as it goes...not this baby! I want an award winning muscle plane that can be thrashed with the rest of them, and this kit has potential. May even go with nav and landing lights... we will see.

Glad to hear your maiden went well. The vid is great! Now get out there and fly it like its stolen!

YEAH BABY!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
captainron

YOU CRACK ME UP ZEN MASTER.........

GRASS HOPP-AH learn fast.......we fly soooon. Also, Grasshpper have large 24ft trailer.........no worries on ease of transport.......bigger ariplanes........I buy bigger transporter....

CAPTAIN RON
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
stoat

You are wise Grashopper! I have secured the purchase of honerable Toyota HyItchy Jumbo vanus. Will fit the Horse, Cat, Yak, Huey etc etc all in at once. And I can sleep in it too!

Just have to get rid of my trusty Honda POS...

Some days i really miss just owning one small slope soarer...

Ahh not really!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
captainron

Stoat, alias Zen Master

I hate to use this, but I really am laughing out loud......Toyota Hyitchy Jumbo vanus............now, Ican't quite get a handle on that..........Three fixed wing aircraft, a helicopter and you....all sleeping together in whatever a Hyitchy Jumbo vanus is..........I just can't get a vision on that....or maybe I don't want to..........

CAPTAIN RON
Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 PM
stoat

Its..... A Toyota Hiace Jumbo Van. Hi Archie for short. Hiace's are like rats round here, but the long wheel base Jumbo is rare. And huge. And I still sleep in the fetal position, so I dont take up much room....
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
captainron

Stoat

Do you really live in New Zealand? Is that on this planet? Here's a link to our flying field in Pueblo West, Colorado........That's in the U.S. of A. my Zen Master. I think we've found a new fun think here........Let's see how many of you tired old wretched Warbird Pilots can show us your flying field........

I'm just sayin, Captain Ron

http://skycorralrcclub.com/ scroll down until you see the field.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Captain and the rest, if you like, go to google maps, enter;

Saunders Drive, Pueblo West, CO, United States

Zoom out a couple of times, and we can see the captains flying field.

I really do envy you americans with those BIG fields! NICE!!!!!

My plane-car is a Opel Vivaro.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
captainron

Kwik and all, Opal Vivaro..............OMG.....I gotta get out more..........I don't even know what that is.

you can also use the link, see my post above to our web site.....scorll down a bit and see the field also..........Yes, Kwik, we are very lucky to have this one.......We lease the property from the city for 20 bucks every two years. The property is also a City park and it seems we're pretty safe atleast for awhile.

We enjoy wide open spaces....If you wanted to hit a tree, you'd have to fly atleast a mile or so. I've seen some of these flying sites, where if your bird goes down off site, the forest are so thick, you would never find it. [X(]

I'd be out of warbirds in no time.......JEEEEZZZZZZ....

I'M JUST SAYIN, CAPTAIN RON
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
kwik

Ron, if you need to arrive with Luftwaffe planes in a proper manner, you need to drive an Opel.

I lost contact with my Sist Fw, and used 40 minutes before finding it. In the woods.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
captainron

OMG, Kwik

Now I know that's not funny, but you made it sound funny. You folks need beepers or something that leads you to the bird when it goes down. Have you ever been out looking for your plane and stumbled across someone else's? You know ole chap, like you would on a golf course and find someone else's golf ball......

I'm just askin.................... CAPTAIN RON
Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM
stoat

Right, lets see if this works...

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.co.nz/?ie=UTF8&ll=-39.159449,174.165117&spn=0.002637,0.005681&t=h&z=18&output=embed"></iframe>
View Larger Map

This, lads, is where I fly. It is sortof on a different planet. NZ used to be so isolated that we had our own little thing going on. Meant we had to invent a lot of stuff ourselves (the Auzzies stole most of it...). However with the interweb and high speed pigeons we are now almost caught up.

So the field... Its small and grass. Only around 180 m long and a little bumpy. Luckily its only a temporary one as we are moving to the other side of the farm to a permanent strip that is longer and flatter.
We will be able to build a club house and covered pits etc too. Should be sorted in the next 6 months.

Its located about 10 mins from my house so I spend a lot of time there (its my happy place...)

If ANY of you ever want to come over for a trip to NZ then let me know. I can sort out free accommodation and transport for you stay and you will be able to fly at one of the many events we have in NZ.
I have a guy - Joel Rosenzweig - coming over in Feb next year for a big Heli event I am organizing. He will also catch the huge Warbirds meeting while hes here.

The welcome mat is out...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM
stoat

It may be small and grass, however it does have this view....

Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
kwik

Stoat, what a place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good grief, I am envious. Again!

(I clicked "View Larger Map" in Stoat's post)

Stoat, put a camera on your Corsair, fly up there and make us a video!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17883.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1790774  
Old 08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my local flying field in California. It has a 60' wide X 800' Long pave runway. This field is about the nicest field I have ever flown at!! It would be better if we get a covered pit area. I actually have a # of fields within an hour drive that are very nice as well. This is not a turbine friendly field unfortunatley, such a waste of good airspace!!!

google earth

33°55'56.07" N 117°37'51.42" W

This next location is a public field in Los Angeles that the Army Corp of Engineers built as part of the parks & recreation program. This field is open to any kind of planes, heli, glider etc including Turbines.

34°10'29.29" N 118°28'54.41" W
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM
stoat

Oohhhhh tarmac! Mmmmmm *dribble* The closest tarmac strip to us is Tokoroa - about 3.5 hours drive away. Go there about 3 times a year to fly turbines but recently its been closed due to some idiots playing silly buggers with foamies. Gotta love those airfields with no trees! They dont exist here in NZ....

Holy crap. Just weighed the cowling (complete with lead shot epoxied in) and it comes out at 600 grams! Thats a whole pound!

Might be time to look for an electric start.....![8D]
Old 08-11-2012, 02:32 AM
ya33a

Hi,
My new Club, in Albury ( Well it's really the first cub I joined in 1977...but we won't go there ok?)....
http://www.tcmac.com.au/?page_id=39
The club's getting a new concrete strip, the current one is a motting material from the paper mill, (3km 1.5miles away), and has been great, but neds replacing as it's getting bumpy and sometimes washes away when it floods.

This is the 4th site the club has had in the 30+ years I've had anything to do with them...
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Mr_Grump

The one thing I didn't like about the Saito FG-57T was the choking method. One of my goals with gas is to hand prop everything. So far, that hasn't been a problem till now. I put a lot of thought into this. I realized a solution when I was was looking into mounting the retract doors and their associated hinges.

The hinge I'm using for the choke is a BVM aluminum offset door hinge. Great machining and it comes with a bunch of screws for mounting. It's also threaded in key spots. I used a plywood circle to mount a 3/8" bonded washer. The washer has rubber on one side facing the velocity stack. I'll glue the washer to the fuel proofed wooden circle. The wood circle is screwed to the hinge.

The foot of the hinge will be screwed to the wooded engine mount and a push rod will attach through the firewall to a servo. I had to reverse the foot and cut off the bottom portion of the hinge where the foot initially attached. My engine is mounted .5 inches off the firewall.

I believe it'll work great. A better alternative would have been to use a small rubber tapered plug like a test tube plug. I believe you could use most any piece or rubber glued to the wooden circle. The bonded washer was handy. I believe it'll open far enough to not interfere with airflow. You can reverse the foot and get greater throw if you wish.

Things are taped in place just for testing....

I got the BVM hinge from Dreamworks Model Products, part number PA-SR-0032, Aluminum Gear Door Hinge. Two per package.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/alum...ge-p-1795.html

Let me know if you see a flaw in my logic or have a question.

Mr G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39440.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1790926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93855.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1790927  
Old 08-11-2012, 12:17 PM
kwik

I re-read the manual the other day. One thing about buying a new engine, is getting to know it well.

After 45 flights my FG-57 refuse to start. I do not know why yet. I have ordered new membanes from this place;

http://www.theoempartsstore.com/prod...roductid=25882

There is a separate thread on it, since Horizon could not help me initially. But they finally did, and I found this kit.

I have replaced the ignition with a total of 4 units, (using the same unit on another boxer).
Dont know whether it is the ignitions either. Working on it.

It worked like clockwork in 45 flights.

Back to the manual: While fault-finding I did some reading. It says that you choke it by giving full throttle, then
turn it slowly until you hear gasonine noise from the carb. (3-4 turns) Then turn on ignition and flip.
When you give full throttle, the barrel is lifting a needle out of its seating, letting more fuel come through.

But whether this gives the same effect as holding a finger over the opening, or using your remote finger,
I do not know. I like the finger method too. Your remote control makes it a nice stop-function too.

I like it !

You probably made that wood-part a bit conical. If you soak it good in epoxy, it will get a surface that
seal good. You probably already did. I would use a couple of screws on the wood-part, additionally to glue.
Otherwise it will pop off, sooner or later.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Mr_Grump

Thanks for the suggestions Kwik. I did soak the wood in thin epoxy. I'll also screw it to the engine mount with some glue. I want to fuel proof the engine mount first.

I've not heard about the problems with the FG but I've not been searching for threads either. Didn't know you and others were having issues. Seems like I've heard that you should keep the ignition battery voltage on the low end of the voltage range. I already have a 5 volt regulator I've used on it from the start. I hope you find the problem and it's fixed soon. Please let us know all about the problem.

When I started it the first time, I didn't use the recommended choke method. I didn't want to have to use the threaded rod Saito provided to start it so I used my finger over the carb. I followed the book otherwise. I turned it over with my finger over the carb till I heard the fuel in the carb, then flipped the prop a few times, turned on the ignition and two flips later it was running. Easiest engine I've started for the first start. It's ran well ever sense but it's not been run like yours. Only on the test stand for break in.

I did have a problem adjusting the valves after break in. The book method didn't work well for me. After the first adjustment, one cylinder was missing and blowing white smoke. I finally just tightened them down finger tight. Just to the point of touching. I left just enough play to easily get a little movement with my fingernail. Seems to be ok.

Thanks again..
Mr G

Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
stoat

ORIGINAL: kwik

Stoat, what a place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good grief, I am envious. Again!

(I clicked ''View Larger Map'' in Stoat's post)

Stoat, put a camera on your Corsair, fly up there and make us a video!

Just waiting on a small video camera to arrive from Hobbying then I will do just that!

[8D]
Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
nudger

Ay up Guys
Got a video of my second flight with the corsair,needed cycle clips around the bottom of my trousers{pants in us}to keep it all in.the day was nice but breezy,as you can tell buy the wind turbine.The corsair flys great but as you can hear when goes inverted she gets starved of fuel for a second,any ideas out there for reason would be welcome.I have a fg 30 in a thunder bolt and has stopped on me 3 times while going inverted ,the las time only a week ago...result damaged plane again[:@]
To kwik did you have any problems with missing going inverted with your fg57?

Anyway on with the vid,thanks to Dr P {Dave} for doing the film, great shooting as ever. http://youtu.be/KHmzFtTLenE

Cheers Nudge
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM
nudger

If you are having problems getting the video up, go on youtube and put in dprobert11 which will bring his videos up and click on Neils corsair,should be the first one.PS there are some other really good warbirds one there as well...take a look

cheers Nudge
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
stoat

Ok, some ramblings on fuel starving inverted...

Check your fuel system, my first guess would be the clunk line has become stiff and its not dropping to the top of the tank droperly or fast enough. The tygon we use goes "off" after a year or so and needs to be replaced. Hobbyking or one of the other chinee suppliers has a red or blue fuel tube that seems to last way better. 3 years so far in my P47.

Pin hole in your fuel line somewhere close to the carb. With movement these can sometimes open and close - fairly unlikely.

I would be supprised if it was the carb, but worth a good checking over anyway. Tighten all bolts etc, check for air leak between carb and manifold.

Is it starving (going lean) or missing when inverted? Cant view the vid here at work sorry. If its missing then check your plug cap etc.

Hope this all helps.

Cheers
Brett
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM
nudger

Hi Stoat
The engine is going lean not missing.Checked clunk and moves freely.The model will do it with a full tank with no possability of air.its as if the carb stops pumping for a fraction of a second when doing the roll.

Nudge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.