Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

I will have to look into it. The stab has a alu tube, you know. So I molded it inside the fuse. Cannot understand how the slop can still be there.

Anyway;

Today I got my new ignition for the Saito FG-57.

It is quite different from the first Saito ignition.

Some of the differencies are;

- It is quite expensive; $222, but; ( I dont care; If it works, I am happy)
- You can see with your own eyes that this is a better quality;
- The plug caps are made of a better material, and its not just a small spring in there which is just
randomly lying around; There is a proper lock-mechanism. IMPORTANT !
- It is marked 6V-8V ( !) Old one was 5V-6V. This means LiFe can be used directly. YESSS!!!
- The power and detector wiring has proper isolation.
- There is a ground wire from the box to ground.
- Output is 30 000 Volts. Dont remember the first one...20 000Volt?

And finally;
- It is marked Saito, RcExcl is not mentioned ( The first one had both markings)
- The box is larger (That isnt very good news), but can be opened. (Maybe one can find out what fails, if so happens)
- No output to RcExl Tacho display...I will miss it.But if it works better, okay then.

Will test it this weekend. Hopefully it will fire straight up.

One irritating failure mode of the RcExler boxes I bought from Octopus Rc was that there was a spark,
but no joy. I personally think the spark was a bit weak, and I suspect the spark wasnt there as soon as you
put it under compression. Typically Murphy; a weak spark giving you the impression everything is okay,
and yet, no joy.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 AM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to get an opinion on wheel size. Which do you guys think looks more scale... the 4" or 41/2" tire for the ESM 50cc corsair? And Captainron, I'd really like to know how you are gonna get a 5" wheel in that bay? Or were you joking?

Marc
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM
kwik

Marc, I hope this table will answer your question;

(Hopefully I have done all calculations correctly)

So...the conclusion must be....put in the largest wheel you can get in there.

Today I have 4 1/2" 8 Spoke Aluminum Wheel from Robart, but it is tempting to try getting a 5" in there....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54245.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1798922  
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 AM
nudger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I managed to shoehorn a robart 5 1/4 inch wheel in ,they look great but no margin for wear on the anti rotation links because the esm one are made of cheese.
Kwik so am i right in saying you are on your 3rd ignition?

Name:	Qo41090.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1798923  
Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
kwik

Nudger, yes;

The first ignition was the original one, Marking said Saito with big letters, and RcExl with small letters.

It lasted 30 flights.

Second ignition was marked RcExcl bought it here;
http://store.octopusrc.com/index.php...t_detail&p=122

It lasted 15 flights. I think. Because it remains trying out the new ignition, and see if it helps.

So now, after 45 flights; New ignition from Saito, quite different from the two first.
We will see!

On one side, it is irritating to have such problems. On the other hand, I am very gratefull for the 45
flights so far with this fantastic engine.

( I bought two more ignitions from OctopusRc to a XYZ53 cc ; One of them, it didnt start at all, switched to
the other one; It starts, but only with a starter, after about 20 seconds continous use of the starter.
Even when pouring gas directly into the carb. )
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM
nudger

Hi Kwik
Its quite worrying with these ignitions.
After the first 6 flights I got rid of my original saito ignition which is like your new one..totally saito,just did not trust it anymore{corsair missing very badly then stopped in air,result broken wing}I then bought a rcexel which I as yet have not had any problems with.
When you stop and look at it we do have to put up with some crap,no way should you be on your 3rd nor i be on my second with a new engine,but it seems we just have to put up with it while the manufactures get a way with it.

We just seem to be on the loosing end of it ,it sometimes seems.

Nudge
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

kwik & Nudge,

Did you buy your engines from your local H.S. or from Horizon? Have you guys or your LHS contacted Horizon Hobby's about your issues? I have delt with Horizon on other issues and got really good service on replacement parts. I had by battery go south on my 12X and they sent me a replacement with no hesitation. Saito / Horizon should be sending you replacement ignitions at no cost to you!! Your engines should be under warranty still and they should step up and fix the issue's. Me & a buddy bought 4 of those CRRC 40cc build it yourself engines and their ignitions were crap, I contacted them over 1 1/2 years later and they sent us 4 new updated ignitions with no questions asked. If a little company like CRRC steps up, surely Saito would do the same??
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Kwik:
Thanks for the detailed answer. Wow! I would have never guessed. Nudger I now see how its possible to go bigger. I was merely thinking within the confines of the bay area as it came in the kit. Some extensive modifications there for that 5 1/4" I like your idea of servo for each door half. I'm about at that point. Trying to get the doors to close with one servo on a crosslink design is driving me nuts. If not done right I burn up servos within minutes.!
Marc
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
nudger

Hi mmflytie
To get my wheel in my older style wing{ali tube}I had to put a dent in the tube so that the tyre would sit in the depression to give me about a extra 5mm of clearence.I think if I had to do it again I would go with the 5 inch ones,just save a load of hassel.
Flejter1 after trying 3 ignitions for my Fg30 I just lost the will to carry on so bought the rcexl myself...and they worked!!!Its just now that with the carb problems I aint gonna buy one of them, so the engine is now with our distrburator in the Uk Mcgregor.Ill keep you informed of progress .

Ps whats the warranty of saito in US

Cheers Nudge

Name:	Ec87629.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1798945  
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

looked at the video on youtube for installing the robart main wing electric retracts, looks pretty simple.

but what about electric tailwheel retracts from robart. will it work?

tony
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
stoat

Marc, i have 5 inch on mine and they fit ok with a little dremel work. There are some pics on here of the install.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Nudge,

here you go:

Warranty Information
Warranty Period:

What this Warranty Covers:
Horizon Hobby, Inc., (Horizon) warrants to the original purchaser that the product purchased (the "Product") will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase.

Limited Warranty:

What is Not Covered:
This warranty is not transferable and does not cover (i) cosmetic damage, (ii) damage due to acts of God, accident, misuse, abuse, negligence, commercial use, or due to improper use, installation, operation or maintenance, (iii) modification of or to any part of the Product, (iv) attempted service by anyone other than a Horizon Hobby authorized service center, or (v) Products not purchased from an authorized Horizon dealer.

OTHER THAN THE EXPRESS WARRANTY ABOVE, HORIZON MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION, AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THEY ALONE HAVE DETERMINED THAT THE PRODUCT WILL SUITABLY MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE PURCHASER’S INTENDED USE.

Purchaser’s Remedy:
Horizon’s sole obligation and purchaser’s sole and exclusive remedy shall be that Horizon will, at its option, either (i) service, or (ii) replace, any Product determined by Horizon to be defective. Horizon reserves the right to inspect any and all Product(s) involved in a warranty claim. Service or replacement decisions are at the sole discretion of Horizon. Proof of purchase is required for all warranty claims. SERVICE OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS THE PURCHASER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY.

Limitation of Liability:
HORIZON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS OR PRODUCTION OR COMMERCIAL LOSS IN ANY WAY, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH CLAIM IS BASED IN CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, EVEN IF HORIZON HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Further, in no event shall the liability of Horizon exceed the individual price of the Product on which liability is asserted. As Horizon has no control over use, setup, final assembly, modification or misuse, no liability shall be assumed nor accepted for any resulting damage or injury. By the act of use, setup or assembly, the user accepts all resulting liability. If you as the purchaser or user are not prepared to accept the liability associated with the use of the Product, purchaser is advised to return the Product immediately in new and unused condition to the place of purchase.

Law:
These terms are governed by Illinois law (without regard to conflict of law principals). This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Horizon reserves the right to change or modify this warranty at any time without notice.

WARRANTY SERVICES

Questions, Assistance, and Services:
Your local hobby store and/or place of purchase cannot provide warranty support or service. Once assembly, setup or use of the Product has been started, you must contact your local distributor or Horizon directly. This will enable Horizon to better answer your questions and service you in the event that you may need any assistance. For questions or assistance, please fill out our inquiry form, or call 877.504.0233 toll free to speak to a Product Support representative. You may also find information on our website at www.horizonhobby.com.

Inspection or Services:
If this Product needs to be inspected or serviced, please use the Horizon Online Service Request submission process found on our website or call Horizon to obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. Pack the Product securely using a shipping carton. Please note that original boxes may be included, but are not designed to withstand the rigors of shipping without additional protection. Ship via a carrier that provides tracking and insurance for lost or damaged parcels, as Horizon is not responsible for merchandise until it arrives and is accepted at our facility. An Online Service Request is available at http://www.horizonhobby.com under the Support tab. If you do not have internet access, please contact Horizon Product Support to obtain a RMA number along with instructions for submitting your product for service. When calling Horizon, you will be asked to provide your complete name, street address, email address and phone number where you can be reached during business hours. When sending product into Horizon, please include your RMA number, a list of the included items, and a brief summary of the problem. A copy of your original sales receipt must be included for warranty consideration. Be sure your name, address, and RMA number are clearly written on the outside of the shipping carton.

NOTICE: Do not ship LiPo batteries to Horizon. If you have any issue with a LiPo battery, please contact the appropriate Horizon Product Support office.

Warranty Requirements:
For Warranty consideration, you must include your original sales receipt verifying the proof-of-purchase date. Provided warranty conditions have been met, your Product will be serviced or replaced free of charge. Service or replacement decisions are at the sole discretion of Horizon.

Non-Warranty Service:
Should your service not be covered by warranty service will be completed and payment will be required without notification or estimate of the expense unless the expense exceeds 50% of the retail purchase cost. By submitting the item for service you are agreeing to payment of the service without notification. Service estimates are available upon request. You must include this request with your item submitted for service. Non-warranty service estimates will be billed a minimum of ½ hour of labor. In addition you will be billed for return freight. Horizon accepts money orders and cashiers checks, as well as Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards. By submitting any item to Horizon for service, you are agreeing to Horizon’s Terms and Conditions found on our website http://www.horizonhobby.com/Service/Request.

United States:
Electronics and engines requiring inspection or repair should be shipped to the following address:

Horizon Service Center
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, Illinois 61822

All other Products requiring warranty inspection or repair should be shipped to the following address:

Horizon Product Support
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, Illinois 61822

Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM
captainron

mmflytie,
looks like your question has been answered. It's not a problem getting the 5" Dubro tires on the Robart 10 spoke alum rims in the bay. I'm gonna try and do the doors like nudger also.

CAPTAIN RON
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 PM
splinterz25

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Toast I've been here many timeskeep up the good work.

Bruce
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I'm considering this plane. I've read the thread and really appreciate all the information you guys have posted. There seems to be a fairly wide range of options for engines. I am considering the new DLE 60 twin, due out this month. It looks like I'll still need quite a bit of lead in the nose.

My question is, how well is the cowl holding up with all that weight glued into it? Is anyone having issues with it, such as stress cracking?

I also noticed that one person that used a DLE 55 only had to add a pound of lead to the nose, where as another man using a DLE 111 had to add 10oz to the nose. I'll re-read the thread but I'm really curious as to why the person using a 55, only had to add a pound.

You guys did a great job on putting this one together and the info will be a great help to others.

Thanks!

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...le/dle-60.html
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 AM
stoat

Hill202, yep the cowling will hold up fine. Nose weight on this kit really depends on the whole setup. I have the 111 in mine, but I also have the elevator servos in the stabs, so that will be different between the 55 and the 111. I also have the full cockpit and pilot, and so she is a bit over weight, but still flys brilliantly. You really don't feel that extra weight.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 AM
ya33a

Hi Guys,
Just looking around the net, whilst the missus watches the US Open, and came across this little site, some options for painting and detailing.

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/...rsair_001.html
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Hill202

ORIGINAL: stoat

Hill202, yep the cowling will hold up fine. Nose weight on this kit really depends on the whole setup. I have the 111 in mine, but I also have the elevator servos in the stabs, so that will be different between the 55 and the 111. I also have the full cockpit and pilot, and so she is a bit over weight, but still flys brilliantly. You really don't feel that extra weight.
Thanks Stoat. That's the difference. I forgot that you mounted your elevator servos in the rear.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

Hill202,

I have a DLE55 in mine and I probably have 4lbs of lead pellets fiberglassed in the front lip of the cowl in order to get the CG right. I originally had probably 1/2lb more, but have removed some as explained below.

The cowl itself is plenty strong. The weak link, at least with all that weight attached, is the wood plate that attaches the cowl to the firewall. I had a slow speed nose-over (caused by my soon to be replaced sloppy ESM retracts in combination with our rough grass field) that resulted in the wood plate breaking in one corner where it mounts to the firewall. I remade this plate with 1/4" hardwood plywood and glassed in onto the cowl. Seems super strong now. And since this added more weight up front, I then took some more of my lead pellets out. My plane seems to fly nicely with the CG as spec'd in the manual.

For now my bird is a lonely hangar queen awaiting her new legs.

Jim
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Hill202

Thanks Jim, you also answered my retract question. I know which ones not to go with. I would like to try the electric ones. It seems they are much easier to set up. Have they come out with an electric set that does not take 45 seconds to cycle?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
kwik

Dont forget, noone is denying anyone to modify this plane. If you want lead in the front cowling ring, it is easy to put fiberglass on the inside of the cowling.

Or make a "shelf" which you can put some lead in....Everything is possible......
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
ya33a

If anyone is feeling particularly creative and want to tackle their own gear, here is a couple of sites you may find useful, there are a coouple of things which could be used to improve the standard gear.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7711625

http://www.corsair82.com/corsair/landingGear/

Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM
stoat

Oh man, that set for sale are just sex! They even compress when you retract them. Very cool. Wish I had a spare grand.....
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 PM
ya33a

Hi,
Interesting information on landing lights

http://f4ucorsair.freeforums.org/vie...php?f=12&t=124

Name:	Tq48575.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1799148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57331.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1799149  
Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM
ya33a

Some more formation light info, from one of the plastic modeller's sites, there are some differences, but I noted the proper sequence of lights on the port wing as being Red, Amber, Green from the front, same as traffic signals.

Name:	Tr50686.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1799150  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.