RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CMP Zero Makeover (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6485074-cmp-zero-makeover.html)

jstanton 03-10-2010 10:32 PM

RE: CMP Zero Makeover

Just got the Zero balanced at 6"(155mm) and the total weight of the plane with a Brillelli 46GT is 19lbs 10oz.;) I did come out under 20lbs with the servo's in the fuselage at the CG point. [X(] I now am waiting for my robart adjustable air valve and test run the engine than I'll be off to the field for the maiden:D

jstanton 03-14-2010 09:45 PM

Here is a small video of the Brillelli 46GT being test run after 2 years sitting on a shelf. Now I am waiting for some good weather and than I'll do the maiden.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrMf2T4nOw

afrodite 03-29-2010 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: jstanton

Here is a small video of the Brillelli 46GT being test run after 2 years sitting on a shelf. Now I am waiting for some good weather and than I'll do the maiden.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrMf2T4nOw
Hi jstanton, I'm starting to build the CMP Zero. I'm actually searcing for retracts. I found the EMS retracts for the F8F Bearcat from YT. They seems to be the rigth size: 10 inches (25 cm). how long are your restracts?

The CG position is like reported in the plan?

bye

jstanton 03-29-2010 01:05 PM

afrodite,

I used the ESM landing gear for the Russian LA-7. If I remember right the gear is just under 9" long. I had to modify the gear supports in the wing to make them fit. The ESM gear seems to be of good quality and I hope to do the maiden flight this weekend. I think the gear for the F8F will work just fine. Remember to use some extra hardwood in the gear support area to strengthen up the landing gear mounts. I used some hard Oak in mine and the gear seem to be real soild. My plane weigh's in just under 20 lbs.;) Keep us osted on your progress.:D

afrodite 04-06-2010 04:04 AM

Thank you very much.

I'm yet collecting the necessary hardware to start the building. The engine i chose il a DL55. CMP Zero il the first giant Warbird for me and someone suggest me to start with fixed landing gear but i dislike it....

I hope to see your maiden soon [8D]

ramboman 04-06-2010 06:04 AM

I use SpringAir 400 (85°) for the main and 600 for the tail.
I replaced the weak existing mount with a 3"*3" slotted CTP plate, slightly rotated to the front.
Wheels are 4", more appropriate for grass.

jstanton 04-06-2010 08:08 AM

My Zero is ready for the maiden but the weather is not coperating.[:'(] We have winds over 20 mph all week long. I hope the cham down this weekend.:D I can only hope

jstanton 04-12-2010 04:56 AM

I did the maiden flight on Sinday afternoon. All I can say is this is one very nice flying War Bird. The take off was buestiful and the plane is very stable. The ESM retracts worked great and I am very glad I went with them:D I had a couple of issue in the flight. All of my batteries where mounted in the cowl and the reciever batteries came loss. I had them shrink wrap so they did not fall out they just hung under the cowl in flight, I also had the throllle arm come off of the carb. i guess I forgot to lock it down. I used the remount kill swict I had install and killed the engine and gilued down and landed in some tall grass at the end of our runway. One landing gear mount broke loss and that was all the damage. I have already repaired the mount and attached the batteries to the cowl again. This time they will not come loss. I plan the fly the Zero again this Tuesday. I got some video taken and I'll post it ASAP.;)

afrodite 04-13-2010 04:00 PM

I'm very glad for the good maiden and for the lucky landing.

I'waiting for videos :D

jstanton 04-13-2010 04:22 PM

I flew the plane again today. I had 4 wonderful flights. The ESM landing gear in perfect for this plane and works like a dream:D. I am still waiting for the video to be edited and sent to me for posting.;) I post the link here as soon as I get it.:D

afrodite 04-13-2010 04:40 PM

I've to finish a MU28 glider and after that I want to start the Zero :D.

Good night :)

flyer35 04-13-2010 04:48 PM

JIM, WHAT MODS DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE WITH THE ESM LANDING GEAR, I'VE BEEN FLYING MINE WITH FIXED GEER UNTIL I FOUND A REASONABLY PRICE RETRACT AND THEIRS LOOKS GREAT, BILL

jstanton 04-15-2010 08:29 AM

Bill,

All I had to do was extend the hardwood blocks about 3". I used some 1"x2" hardwood I found at lowes to do this. I also strengthen up the area because it did not look strong enough for a 20lb plane. You will have to angle the mount and the gear just a bit to get it to line up with the wheel well. I used the ESM gear for the Russian LA-7 from troybuilt and it was a good fit. I am sure some others will fit as well. Good luck. This is the best flying War Bird I have and I do have a few others.;)

flyer35 04-15-2010 08:21 PM

Thanks Jim, I ordered a set today let you know how I make out. I also
moved the servos from the tail forward and moved the wgt from behind the firewall to a platform over the engine and saved 2 1/2# I will weigh it when its all together

jstanton 04-15-2010 10:50 PM

Bill,

That sounds great. Keep us posted on the progress on how it all pans out.;)

flyer35 04-22-2010 07:54 AM

WITH THE MODS I MADE IN POST 289 I SAVED 3LBS OFF THE WEIGHT AND CAME IN AT 19.5LBS

jstanton 04-22-2010 09:29 AM

Bill,

That is good news. You are going to love the why this plane fly's at that weight. ;) I am still waiting for my video to be edited by one of oue club members. I'll post it as soon as I get the link to it on you-tube. Try and get some video if you can. What engine are you using again?:eek:

flyer35 04-22-2010 12:39 PM

I am using a Fuji 43 ei. I have the ESM retracts and are installing them this week. They look great.

jstanton 04-22-2010 06:54 PM

Bill,

That sounds great;) I'd really like to see some pic's of you setup if you can take them? You'll love the ESM gear. I fill my tank with 100lbs of air and 8 hours latter it still has 100lbs. I can get 5 cycles with the gear at 100lbs before I notice them slowing down.;)

rotorboy2.4gh 04-22-2010 08:18 PM

Hey guys, My name is Frank and I also started building a 50cc zero ( CMP ). I am useing a DLA 56 and ESM retracts from the Bearcat. They are about an inch longer, but I am now making mods to make fit. I like the offsets better, as they look more scale. I could have shortend the retracts, but i feel the extra inch wont hurt, especialy if I put the drop tank on. They look really good. I DID have to take one of them apart, as the shock was binding very badly. It was about .005 bigger OD that went up into the lower leg. No worries, fixed it in 15 min. They work as good as they look. I have been looking at you guys thread for some time now ( REALLY GOOD INFO ). I will post pics and info as I progress. FRANK VITALE!!

flyer35 04-23-2010 06:48 AM

WELL I SET UP THE RETRACTS AND WHEN I PUT GEAR DOWN ALL THE AIR LEAKS FROM THE AIR CONTROL VALVE. I SENT FOR A ROBART VALVE THAT I CAN CONTROL THE RETRACT SPEED. I MOUNTED THE AIR TANK AND VALVE/SERVO ON THE WING AND AM TRYING TO DECIDE WHERE TO MOUNT THE FILL VALVE. ANY SUGGESTIONS. WHEN I GET THINGS FINALIZED I WILL POST PIX. "FLY IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

jstanton 04-23-2010 08:26 AM

Frank nice to see you have everything figured out. You'll love the ESM gear. I really would like to see some pics of the DLA 56. I was thing of that very engine but I already had a Brillelli 46GT. With a 20x10 APC prop the plane has all the power it will ever want and is really fast.

Bill,

I too had the same problem at the begining with the air leaking out. I found the trouble was with the clear air line that came with the ESM gear. I removed all of the clear line and used some Century Jet air line I had left over from my P-40 I built and that fixed it;)

rotorboy2.4gh 04-23-2010 04:14 PM

Hey Jim, how are ya? The DLA Is identical to the DLE55. I can tell you my DLA56 is awesome and fits, but ( JUST ) fits, but nicely. I will get some pics up before Sunday night for you. I was torn on the extra length of my ESMs, but if you were to just use the supplied landing wire, They are the same length as my Bearcat ESMs. It actually looks very good. When I get the pics up, you can let me know what you think. Thanks JIM, I have been following your threads for some time now. My decision for the dla56 was that it can be used for a wide variety of planes and a wide scope of envelopes. P.S. Flyer35-Dont be discouraged. GOOD things take time. If we apply ourselfs, we can fix/make anything work. Thats where the pride from this hobby comes in,- thinking though, what a company did not. SO think it through-Then be proud- Pretty cool, isnt it! FRANK VITALE /SAINT LOUIS MISSOURI

jstanton 04-25-2010 11:48 AM

Frank,

I think I will be ordering the DLA-56 just to have it ready for my next project. I am thinking about the Top Flite 85" P-47 kit. I like to have everything on hand when I start a new project. I am looking forward to seeing your report on how well the DLA-56 is and what prop you plan to use.:D

rotorboy2.4gh 04-25-2010 11:58 PM

Jim How funny is that. I have a friend that has the smaller Top Fight P-47 and I like it so much that I decided It to would also be my next project. The 85in. It Is a stunning plane. Kind of eliptical wings like a Spitfire, but with its full beautifull fuse, and that cowl- WOW!!! What a plane. GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! Frank VitaleSaint Louis MISSOURI P.S. I have to say I am sorry, I ran out of time, and got no work done on my zero. The plan is now for next weekend. At 54 yrs old, living alone, and working in the concrete biz this time of the year, my time is thin