RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CMP Zero Makeover (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6485074-cmp-zero-makeover.html)

jstanton 04-27-2010 08:57 AM

RE: CMP Zero Makeover

Frank,

Sounds like we should get together sometime and compare planes. My club here in Millington, TN is having a War Bird event the weekend on Oct 2nd & 3rd. It would be great is you could make it down and that goes to anyone who is reading this thread. It is a open event and all war birds are welcome.;) I am going to e-mail the guy who took the video of the maiden flight of the Zero and see when he will have it ready for posting:D

jstanton 05-04-2010 01:26 PM

Well here it is finally. I have the video of the maiden flight. Was not as long as I would have like and you'll see why. The if a great flying airplane and I know have 6 more flight on the plane after the maiden. I like this plane more each and everytime I fly it:D

Here it is;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXJMX4Hh3U

Baldeagle 05-04-2010 04:54 PM

Ouch| That is one tough Zero. How did the landing gear survive? Rich

jstanton 05-04-2010 11:30 PM

The ESM landing gear servived just fine. Just one of the mounts broke on the rear of the left gear. I installed a new mount and now have another 6 flights on it. I hope to get another video of the Zero with a successful flight;)

rotorboy2.4gh 05-05-2010 10:21 PM

JIM- Hi, Im sorry I have not responded sooner, but one of my very dear friends passed away at 42 yrs old for no apparent reason. Needless to say I have been very sad. I just now started working on the zero again and just tested my ESM retracts( SWEET )!!!!! I also put a robart variable air valve on, and it works good enough to keep from beating itself apart. I would love to come down to your warbird event! I also have a Balsa USA 1/3 scale Sopwith PUP- and Balsa USA 1/3 scale foker D-V11. I was stationed in Millington at the air base in 79-82- I here its gone now. I have some of my best memeries from the NAVY at Millington, and would love to fly with ya! Your video was GREAT and looked as if the Zero held up well. You did a very good job with the build. VERY IMPRESSIVE!! I am on a role now and hope to have some pics up soon. My retract were somewhat challenging, as the xtra in. to in. 1/2 took a little time. It all turned out good though. Looking foward to you other videos. P.S. My E-mail is [email protected] would like to give ya my phone num. or at least get yours. FRANK VITALE Saint Louis Missouri 63137

jstanton 05-06-2010 04:15 PM

Frank,

Good to hear from you agian. Sorry to hear about you friend. I know what is is to lose someone close to you. Looking forward to seeing your pic's and any video you get of your plane. I know you'll love the ESM gear as I sure do. I also went out and got a robart air valve I plan to use. I have not installed it yet for I just got back off of vacation helping my daughter. She is recovering fron Breast Cancel surgery and is doing well;) I sent you a e-mail with my phone # so we can keep intouch[&:]

rotorboy2.4gh 05-06-2010 08:01 PM

Jim, I will for sure come down in October, cant wait! The Robart air valve does what it is suppose to do, It really helps soften things up a bit. The ESM retracts- I got them because of following your thread- THANKS! They work sooooooo good! As for your daughter, That makes me very happy she is doing well. I will keep her in my prayers!!!!!!! I will call you in the next few days, as I have some questions about the Zero. I will also leave my number. THANKS JIM. GUYS LIKE YOU and the others I have seen on this site make this hobby a true Blessing. FRANK VITALE Saint Louis Missouri 63137

rotorboy2.4gh 05-13-2010 03:54 PM

Hey JIMBO! I went out on a limb and ordered a robart retractable tail wheel setup. Also, decieded to put the elevater servos in the stab. My reasoning behind that is,- I weighed all of the materials it would take to put the servos up front, and why would I want the servo weight(PLUS) the added materials!!! I know- I-know Everyone will say that at least it takes the weight out of the tail, and that 1 once in back = BLAH_BLAH_BLAH!!! I DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!- Only because you are still adding weight to the tail with all of the rods,links that are just in the back! THEN!!!!!!!!!!!! You still have the weight from the Loooooonnnngggg push rods from the tail up to your servos ( weight that spans the entire length) Although not completely in the front,- still does not take the weight out of the back. I believe the bent rods,- the looonnnggg push rods Probable about equal the servos in the back- IN FACT__ I WOULD BET ON IT -ANY TAKERS????????? JIM WISH ME LUCK!!!!!! I WILL TALK TO YOU SOON!!!!!!!!!! IN case I shoot myself in the foot on this one,- Ive been MARRIED before YOU CANT HURT ME!!!!!!!!! FRANK VITALE! SAINT LOUIS MISSOURI- INOVATOR-not a follower- By the way, I have plenty of holes in my feet- but a few GREAT PLANES!

ZERO-322 05-13-2010 04:44 PM

I would very much like to see your setup , would you mind posting some pic ?

viggkri 05-13-2010 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

I Maiden mine yesterday, all went fine, tracking is good, no trimming needed, cg1 inch behind recommondation, Zenoah 38 for power, never needed more than 50% throttle.
I moved the 3 servos from the tail, and could take 1 kg lead away from the firewall, you do save weight by moving servos. But the weight doesent matter, it flys like a trainer.
My camera wouldent work, so i only have some video in really bad quality, but here they are:

<font color="#417394">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWBH47zOx8</font>

<font color="#417394">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfearLO29Yw</font>

<font color="#417394">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlpdPFdRkM</font>

rotorboy2.4gh 05-14-2010 12:18 AM

Viggkri-OK! Lets do some figuring here. First I had already moved my rudder servo to the front. ( I should have mentioned that MY BAD!!!) Then I Just left the elavator servos where they were in the tail. NOW, you still have to add up the weight of all the materials that you used so you can move the servos up front, and then SUBTRACT that from the weight you removed, then see what you come up with! I guess my point is( It dont come out to make enough difference too mean too much). BUT YA STILL HAVE TO SUBTRACT THE WEIGHT FROM THE STUFF( RODS,LINKS,CLEVICES,HEAT SHRINK,ECT!!! ) From the weight you then remove. Its not all that bad then. The only concern I might have is the robart retractable tail wheel I selected is the metal one, and I dont know how much it weighs yet. I am suspecting that it isnt much more than the assembly with the collars,bearings,rods and such, maybe just a bit more. I wont know till it gets here tomorrow. Regaurdless, I know people who fly this plane at 23-24 lbs all day long. I know one person whos plane is 26lbs, and it flys GREAT!!!! THIS PLANE JUST FLYS AWESOME!!! Also, If you read some of my Posts< I have used the DLE56 which is heavier than most of yours out there, PLUS- I spaced my engine another 1/2in. forward, which made my senario a little different when It came to jockeying my servos and CG numbers. I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS_____IM HAVEIN A BLAST WITH THIS THING!! I Sure hope the tail wheel works out- JUST FOR THE COOL FACTOR. And yes- I hope to have pics up soon. ALL of you guys on here are AWESOME( ESPECIALLY my bud JIM) FRANK VITALE! SAINT LOUIS MISSOURI 63137.-P.S. Hey Viggkri NICE JOB ON THE PLANE BROTHER!!!! SWEEEEEEEET PANEL LINES! Where dya get the dummy engine?

jstanton 05-14-2010 05:55 AM

Frank,

I kind of agree with you on the elevator servo's once I finished my Zero. I moved all of the servo's to the fuselage and my plane still weigh's in just under 20lbs. It is the best flying War Bird I have. I am thinking about the robart retract servo for the plane also now. I think it is a better tail wheel than the one I have right now. ;)

rotorboy2.4gh 05-14-2010 07:07 AM

JIM! No question about it. The metal robart retract tail wheel is so much better. Heck, the plastic one for the 60 to 90 size would be an improvement, but I went for the metal one. I figured why put the nice ESM retracts on it and leave the tail wheel hangin in the twilight zone. I should have it today, and be able to mess with it tonight. If so, I will leave a post for all you guys, and I will call you JIM!! WISH ME LUCK!! FRANK VITALE! SAINT LOUIS MISSOURI!63137 YA CANT SCARE ME[:-] IVE BEEN MARRIED BEFORE!!

jstanton 05-14-2010 10:15 AM

Frank,

Can't wait to hear from you on the Robart retract. Talk to you later;)

rotorboy2.4gh 05-17-2010 02:04 AM

Jim, Sorry i have not reported yet on the Robart tail wheel, but the guy at my hobby shop forgot to order it.- I went in to pick it up Thursday night and he said it would be in Friday. Well, Needless to say, when I went in to pick it up friday, the manager told me it was ordered Thursday night, which ment the guy forgot until thursday night when he saw me. SO- I went in SATURDAY, and the guy who forgot, came up to me and told me it would be here Monday. Tomorrow it is. I was pretty upset but that never changes anything, and he Usually gets things done for me that no one else can. Anyway- I will update you tomorrow night. FRANK VITALE- SAINT LOUIS 63137-YOU CANT SCARE ME[X(]IVE BEEN MARRIED BEFORE!

jstanton 05-17-2010 04:51 AM

Frank,

I know how you fell when you think you have something ordered and find out it was not. I ordered a couple of Lipo batteries for a small electric I have and my lhs keep forgeting to order them for me. I am like you and wanted to spend my money localy so I waited 2 weeks and they finally showed up after I kept going in to check on them. I think I went in 5 times before I got them. I now have them and I think my LHS will never forget to order something for me again. Good you I hope yours is in today.;)

viggkri 05-24-2010 04:38 PM

Hi Frank

sorry for my late reply to your question about the dummy, its a standard top flite 1/7 or 1/6 scale i think.
Just painted with humbrol in my airbrush, and clearcoted.

Been too windy for the Zero the last week but hopfully next weekend..........

Viggo

rotorboy2.4gh 05-30-2010 01:07 AM

HI VIGGO, Thanks for getting back to me on the dummy engine. I will pick one up for sure!! Eventually, I plan on an ASP 400- Radial- If I can keep her in one piece long enough:D. AND HEY JIMBO YE-HA!! The Robart retract took some thinkin[:@], but brother- It was soooo worth it!! It turned out so good, and works like a dream:D! I ran a carbon tube from my rudder servo to the rudder- Useing the long metal servo horn,- I hooked the carbon rod to the far most outside hole, Then, I used a pull-pull setup on the next hole in,- but on both sides( of coarse),- to go back to the retract wheel for the stearing( Two birds with one horn[8D] ). Then I put a hitec retract servo just behind the plywood servo tray, down on the glass fuse, and ran a 2-56 rod-in plastic tube back to actuate( or push-pull) the retract knuckle. Everything that I ran back,- I went threw two 1/4 inch,- half high balsa bulkheads I made, and staggered them as to keep all the flex out. IT works AWESOME- I PROMISE I WILL GET SOME PICS UP WITHIN THE WEEK(PROMISE)! I plan on doing my first flight[&:] tomorrow( Sunday), or monday weather permitting. Jimbo, you been doin any flyin? I Pray all is well, and family safe. I will talk to ya soon. Wish me luck on the first one guys!!! FRANK VITALE- Saint Louis Missouri-63137- You cant scare me[:-]- Ive been married before!

jstanton 05-30-2010 07:09 AM

Frank,

I really would love to see some pic's of your retact setup? I am going to thr Field today also and taking the Zero:D It will be a little windy here in Memphis but the zero can handle it OK. Good luck on your maiden I really would like some video if you can get some. I would like to see how well the DLE 56 performs;)

Race21 06-02-2010 10:13 PM

Does anyone know where to get replcacement parts?

The poor wing that I have now has had the gear blocks rebuilt a couple of times and is beginning to get ugly and tired. I also wouldn't mind a new wing so I could try a little fiberglass work (vaccuum bagging, more detail, etc).

Does anyone have the part number (s) for the ESM retracts and the tail wheel or tail wheel retract that is currently in favor? The stcok tail wheel is pretty flimsy!

Anyone know where to find a cowl? Wanna swap my Fuji with something a little hotter (maybe my ZDZ 80) and would like a clean cowl.

I have been checking Nitroplanes and chatted online with them. They always say to check back in a month. Are they still supporting the 80" Zero?

Thanks in advance,

R21

ZERO-322 06-02-2010 11:18 PM

They are as far as I know but i will tell you the zero in all three sizes has to be some of there better selling planes because seems like every time they get them in both airframes and parts sell out quickly, and then it takes them forever to replenish supply, I have waited up to 4 months to get the 120 size zero, be patient I'm sure it will be in stock sooner or later, you may also want to try AK models they carry the CMP line as well

GuitarPlayer 06-08-2010 10:07 PM

Be carefull with nirto. This company and it's 4 other rc sites and are in it for the cash. They talk nice untill they get your' cash. The really believe that after the sale, they are done with you. Take a look at rcdiscuss.com or the thraeds here. Losts of unhappy pilots. If you have any queswtions just ask me.

jstanton 07-02-2010 03:50 PM

Just got back from the field today and another 5 great flights with this plane. I had just rebuilt the Walbro wt-201 carb and she is running real sweet now:D The Brillelli 46GT with a APC 20x10 prop is perfect for this plane. I fly around at half throttle most of the time. If anyone wants to get into Warbirds this CMP Zero should be thier first plane. Fly's just like a low wing tranier.;) I really love this plane.:D:D

Baldeagle 07-02-2010 08:01 PM

Jim how do you like the ESM retracts ? Thanks Rich

jstanton 07-02-2010 11:14 PM

Rich,

The ESM retracts are the best investment I have ever make on retracts. I will be buying more of these for my future projects;)