Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:13 PM
levid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

check your your spur gear there's a nut that tightens on it with spring make sure its tight
Old 02-26-2006, 06:33 PM
levid

actaully it's in the differntaly gear in the middle of your truck there's a big gear and small gear look to the front of yout truck there's a spring nest to it the nut needs to have tension on it you can tighten or loosen it
Old 02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

More than likely your clutch is gone. The spring might have snapped. Have seen alot of that lately.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:58 PM
dmtallent

So seems like the nut is tight.. CLutch what caused it to go?? How do I prevent it from happening. Is it some thing I did or something??
Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 PM
naviuk

Back to the newbie story, I'd have to go with entity on this one, i'm new to this hobby and i thought my knowledge of cars would give me the upper hand, i was ever so wrong, picking his brain for awhile and asking "dumb" questions resulted in me being ever so wiser on the hobby, and remember the "dumb" is not the question that is asked but the person who didn't ask it........ being new you will get ripped apart but thats what it is, either deal with it or go cry in the corner...

respect the "elders" and learn from their knowledge, nothing is more valueabe then hands on experience... anyone can tell you that...
Old 02-26-2006, 11:59 PM
levid

if so great huh
Old 02-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

take off the clutch bell and see if the spring is wrapped around the shoes. If not then that is the problem. You cant tell by looking at the outside, and yes it can break even if the nut is tight.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:05 PM
OUTRNNR

Hi everyone,

I'm a newb to R/C nitro cars, but I've always been a fan of them. I signed up here because I have a few questions. I recently bought a HiMoto Eldorada off eBay, and from what I can tell, its identical to the Redcat Volcano truck. Is this true? Are the parts interchangeable? The only reason I ask is because after a couple of hours of break in (5 tanks or so) I was emptying my last tank before I went home and sure enough I hit the curb going all of 4 mph and heard a loud snap which came from the front left wheel. Sure enough after I turned it around the left front was hanging off the machine. After close inspection I found I broke the doortype mount and steering arm (as listed in the manual, parts 02014 & 02015, respectively). I found that these parts are listed on Redcat's website under the volcano truck, with the same part numbers. If I buy these parts will they fit my truck?

Also, during break in, I ran a rich mix (blue smoke and fuel spitting out exhaust) to keep cool, and I also ran with the shell off. Is the engine broken in after 5-6 tanks? If it is, can I lean the mix out some? Will this make it faster? Fastest it seems like I've been able to get it going is like 40-50 mph, how do I adjust the high speed needle for more rpms? That being said, how high can I run the motor?

I'm really just using this truck to get accquainted with nitro trucks, then I'm going to buy a Traxxas REVO. In the interim, I'd like this one to last a while. Seems like a good ride, good acceleration, suspension, performance for a cheap-o.

Sorry for the brain spasm, thanks in advance for your info.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Yeah.. i'm not picking on or judging the newbies.. I was there a long time ago when i was building a grasshopper kit.. Back in 84 There were not many hop up parts.. I didn't have the net.. And I think really nobody had.. I grew up on apple II's with a huge box and a tiny green screen that i had to learn dos on how to make a monster of a floppy disk let me play "were is carmen sandiago" and that was only in text!.. I mean no harm.. And will help in anyway that i can.. Again, Iv'e dealt with these machines and others for years and have seen the good the bad and the ugly in all of em..
Old 02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Xeller8

ORIGINAL: OUTRNNR

Hi everyone,

I'm a newb to R/C nitro cars, but I've always been a fan of them. I signed up here because I have a few questions. I recently bought a HiMoto Eldorada off eBay, and from what I can tell, its identical to the Redcat Volcano truck. Is this true? Are the parts interchangeable? The only reason I ask is because after a couple of hours of break in (5 tanks or so) I was emptying my last tank before I went home and sure enough I hit the curb going all of 4 mph and heard a loud snap which came from the front left wheel. Sure enough after I turned it around the left front was hanging off the machine. After close inspection I found I broke the doortype mount and steering arm (as listed in the manual, parts 02014 & 02015, respectively). I found that these parts are listed on Redcat's website under the volcano truck, with the same part numbers. If I buy these parts will they fit my truck?

Also, during break in, I ran a rich mix (blue smoke and fuel spitting out exhaust) to keep cool, and I also ran with the shell off. Is the engine broken in after 5-6 tanks? If it is, can I lean the mix out some? Will this make it faster? Fastest it seems like I've been able to get it going is like 40-50 mph, how do I adjust the high speed needle for more rpms? That being said, how high can I run the motor?

I'm really just using this truck to get accquainted with nitro trucks, then I'm going to buy a Traxxas REVO. In the interim, I'd like this one to last a while. Seems like a good ride, good acceleration, suspension, performance for a cheap-o.

Sorry for the brain spasm, thanks in advance for your info.

"Outrnnr"...

First off...yes....the Himoto Eldorada is the same truck as the Recat Volcano and all of the parts should fit just fine....

I'm sure it hasn't been very warm there in Colorado so that will contribute to breakage...however...the steering arms (axle hubs) seem to be the weakest points in these trucks...there should be some alloys around that will fit it...I remember someone saying that at one time...not sure where I saw it though and I'm sure the manufacturers of these trucks (hopefully) are working on it too..

As for your tuning question?....well...if you think you are getting 40-50 mph out of it then you are a "Nitro God" already....LOL!!...if you have actually CLOCKED that truck doing that speed on radar I'd love to know what you did to make it so fast...I really don't think it's possible to get THAT much speed out of it...

But...I digress...if you have run 5 tanks or so through then you should be done with break-in and you can begin leaning it down for better fuel mileage...throttle response and overall performance...just remember to make SMALL adjustments at a time (1/16-1/8 turns on any given mixture screw)...make changes to only one needle at a time then give the thing time to adjust to the new settings...the changes will NOT be immediate...also...keep an eye on engine temp...try to keep things anywhere from 210-240 for best engine longevity..

And you are correct that these are great entry level vehicles...good choice!

Keep us informed on how things are going. [8D]
Old 02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
OUTRNNR

OK, maybe I ment 40-50 km/hr, not mph But its definitely over 30 mph. Once I fix it I'll time it in a parking lot near my house and see how long it takes to cross 4 or 5 parking spot lines...

So there are metal replacement parts for what I broke? Any ideas where I can order some of these?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Xeller8

O.K...30-35 MPH I would buy...

As for the hubs....like I said...I'm not sure where I saw the alloy hubs mentioned...they may have been from a different make....wish I had more to tell you...I DO also remember one of the 1/10 buggy owners (truck is built on the same platform) talking about some hubs he found that looked the same...but they were priced at like 60 bucks a pair which is absolutely OUTLANDISH...I'm wondering if it was misprint or something...there is NO WAY they would or should cost that much....if they are THAT much I would just order several stock ones to have on hand for a lot less money....afterall...it only takes a few minutes to change one.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
entity
Banned

I'm working on getting aftermarket parts made up for these trucks to start. So stay tuned.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:04 PM
entity
Banned

Oh.. As i've told some of the guys that have contacted me.. please make a visable mark on your carb settings to were it's at now and were you want it to be.. Very easy this way cause as stated above the increments are very small and you will always have a base line to go off of if you mark your adjusments to the carb or main body of the engine.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:09 PM
OUTRNNR

ORIGINAL: Xeller8

O.K...30-35 MPH I would buy...

As for the hubs....like I said...I'm not sure where I saw the alloy hubs mentioned...they may have been from a different make....wish I had more to tell you...I DO also remember one of the 1/10 buggy owners (truck is built on the same platform) talking about some hubs he found that looked the same...but they were priced at like 60 bucks a pair which is absolutely OUTLANDISH...I'm wondering if it was misprint or something...there is NO WAY they would or should cost that much....if they are THAT much I would just order several stock ones to have on hand for a lot less money....afterall...it only takes a few minutes to change one.
Based on Redcat's website its gonna cost me damn near $30 to replace the single hub (one pair of 02014, and one pair of 02015; $11 each plus shipping) so $60 for a part that won't break doesn't seem too far out there, even though its nearly a third of the cost of the truck itself. Oh well.

That being said, is there any coating or anything special I can do to the plastic replacement parts to make them stronger? Spray them with Teflon? Just wondering.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:12 PM
entity
Banned

well nobody.. has tried this yet.. but by some..plastidip and see how it works..
Old 02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
entity
Banned

it's a rubberized coating in many colors.. that will coat the outside of anything you dip in it.. just keep the holes clear that you need to use..
Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Xeller8

ORIGINAL: OUTRNNR
That being said, is there any coating or anything special I can do to the plastic replacement parts to make them stronger? Spray them with Teflon? Just wondering.

I'm glad you asked that....3M has a plastic repair epoxy out Automix # 8231 flexible plastic repair...that number is the FAST stuff and only has a working time of less than I minute and a complete cure time of 30 minutes..(they have slower stuff too)....it's about 30 bucks a tube and will go a LONG way when fixing parts for these until you get new ones or alloys come out...the bad thing is the gun to dispense it is about 100 bucks....but this is AWESOME stuff...I use it here in my body shop all the time...

I broke 3 of the 4 axle hubs on my truck and have fixed them with this stuff and I coated the entire area around the breaks to build them up and haven't had a problem since...except I broke one of the ones I fixed (due to cold weather and hitting stuff)....well....THAT one broke BEYOND the repair...so...obviously it is working VERY well...

I know the start up cost to use this stuff is kind of expensive...but when you weigh being able to get your r/c's back up and running in a few minutes as apposed to waiting several days to get replacement parts it's worth in the long run.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:46 PM
OUTRNNR

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a new set of hubs from Redcat. First off, I'll avoid running when its cold out (It was only around 40-45 F when I broke the hub) and if/when I break the next set I'll have to try this stuff. It should be noted that I completely repaired the original parts with crazy glue and let it dry overnight. The next day it was substantially warmer and I was able to do a couple laps up and down the street until I ran up in the grass and did a sharp turn to the right, concentrating alot of force on the front left wheel which snapped it again at the mended points.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
entity
Banned

well i guess nobody wants to try what i'm suggesting then huh.. Hey.. the parts should not break in your temps.. mine dont'.. and you can try boiling them.. but i think it weakens the overall structure and distorts em.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Xeller8

Yeah...this 3M stuff is the BOMB...like I said...the last one I broke was BEYOND my original repair....you just need to make sure you prep the part right...clean it up with laquer thinner real good and even sand the area to get a good scratch for optimum mechanical adhesion..

Entity....I'm convinced boiling HELPED my parts and I didn't have any prob with distortion...as for the plasti-dip?...I haven't tried it myself on these parts but have tried it on other stuff and I don't feel it has the adhesion...rigidity and density to make much of a difference....but who knows?...like I said...I haven't tried it on anything like these parts so I can't preach that as gospel....and 40-45 degree temps is more than cold enough to make a difference when it comes to plastic....they WILL be more brittle.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
carfanatic222

Hey, I have this truck on the way right now and I really don't like what I'm hearing but I heard the same type of stuff "almost" right before I bought a Smartech winner 1.
Thing is "IF YOU BASH IT WILL BREAK".Needless to say I still have the old Smartech after 2 years and it still runs strong.I don't think I want to put my truck in the soup just yet.
Common sense says if you throw legos at a wall at 50+ mph and expect them to stay together!...there you go. Sometimes caution is a good way to start.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Xeller8

<--------stands and applauds!

Some just don't get it...ya know??...they think you can bash these like a rig that you will pay twice as much if not more for.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:45 PM
carfanatic222

Ok, I guess that I'm looking at alot of research and development. And a little fun on the side.
But all I know is no matter what you get you are constantly driven to get it better.
This truck for me is what im getting it for. To see what I can get out of it for what it is and can be.You really don't have to have all the glamorous anodized hop-ups,just to get satisfation of having a hobby,just alot of patience and common sense.I can't wait not to tear mine up!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Xeller8

HeHe...I hear ya!

I love doing the same thing...I just put a motor in my 1/8 Hurricane that wasn't made for it..(nor the car for the motor)....had some trouble but thats due to being in a hurry...now that I have it straightened out it is AWESOME..been running the crap out of it all afternoon...

Like you said...improving and making mods is half the fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.