Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
fordguy2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

my truck ran like a champ yesterday. it had two big wrecks and nothing broke. then i took it threw mud which was fun, but then i broke a clutch spring again. second time i broke a traxxas spring. i'll have to buy more than one. my clutch bell has small cracks on it. does anyone know what that means?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:45 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have a bad clutch bell with the cracks, may explain why your going thru the traxxas springs.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
futabaed

I belive you should get a new clutch bell those are stress breaks mabey from useing the thicker traxxas spring.
I think the traxxas springs have to rev higer be for they catch and when spring snaped it made the stress cracks.
Im going to look around for a clutch bell thats steel with the same teeth/pitch as a replacment
Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been using the same clutch spring for the last 2 months and i dont see any stress cracks, the revs are not that high and hasnt broke yet either.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 AM
fordguy2001

i found some clutch bells on tower hobbies. they are made out of steel. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...UTCHES&S3=&S4=
Old 05-01-2006, 03:22 PM
shadymarkny

Which one of those will fit the volcano? I found a crack on mine today!.. Should I just get a stock ones?
Does anyone know if these fly wheels will fit the Volcano? I am looking for Light Weight fly wheels and Light Weight clutch bell.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMDC6&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFBD1&P=7

Old 05-01-2006, 05:48 PM
futabaed

dont realy know if those will fit,the best thing to do is to take the stock one with you to your local hobbie shop and compare.

I have got the stock clutch bell so hot that it warped oval shape after i first bought my truck.
So I think the best thing to do there is to look for a steel clutch bell,Untill REDCAT gets some in stock.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

again.. i'm thinking that the clutch assembly is dragging on the clutch bell so it's causing excessive heat thats were i think your having the problems at. Post up pics of the crack.. would like to see.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 PM
fordguy2001

i'd post a pic, but i dont know how.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 PM
stewtheman

fordguy2001, to post a pic you need to post a reply to someone. On the upper right corner of each post there is a reply button. Click that button and the form for you to write your post with will have the picture option. This option will be on the bottom left side of the form.

I have really been taking this truck through its paces lately and I'm pretty pleased with the way it has held up. Redcat apparently fixed their brittle body problems as I have rolled this truck an insane number of times now without a single crack. That impresses me. I was jumping rounded curbs today and enjoying the fact that this truck ends up on its wheels after most rolls. I can't understand all the complaints about this thing being fragile when as far as I can tell (other than a couple obvious weaknesses) it's a beast.

I didn't break a single steering knuckle today because I finally got my aluminum upgrades from Hong Kong (first picture). I think they're going to do the trick. One thing I didn't expect, though, is that I would have to get different bearings for the axles to work with these knuckles. I thought the HPI MT2 knuckles would be a direct replacement from what I had read on this forum. It's not hard to get your hands on the right bearings, but my lhs wanted $14 and $19 for the two pairs of HPI bearings I needed. I about went into shock when I saw those prices! Is that how all the hobby shops price those bearings (B022 and B030)? I decided to check out Traxxas for comparison and found the smaller ones for $3.50 and decided to get the larger ones in bushings instead of bearings for $5. I thought $8.50 sounded a lot better than $33! Anyhow, they fit like a glove and I am satisfied.

After running my truck today I noticed a good bit of resistance when I tried to roll it and something was making a metallic grinding noise. Later I found out that the clutch bell had a nice gash in it from one of the differential gears grinding against it (second picture). I guess the clutch bell expanded under the heat and pressure and came into contact with the gears. Has anyone had any luck with finding a suitable non-stock clutch bell? I know many have been talking about replacements lately.

I've also been wondering for a while about my front wheels being bowed outward (picture 3). My truck came like this and I didn't know if there was a reason for that or if it should be adjusted. It seems fine the way it is but I'm sure it could always get better. Anyhow, enjoy your trucks, guys!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38625.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	454139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87041.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	454140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69643.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	454141  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 AM
DiTi

hi stew, dont worry about the wheels, they are like that on purpose. that stance is called toe-out (kinda like your toes facing left and right kinda thing) it has to do with handling and steering but I can't remember what I've read about it you should be able to find some good articles on how to tweak your truck...
ok here I found it
http://www.rctek.com/handling/toe_angle_basics.html

c ya later
Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Bananaboat

Hello guys... is there any brand that is 100% compatible with the HIMITO trucks ? I am looking for parts on the web but I have no clue with they will fit !! is there such thing or it depends on the part you're looking for?

Regards,
Old 05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
entity
Banned

well.. in that pic. that toe out is much too extreme.. you need to adjust it.. will also reduce stress on the shafts and joints.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:28 PM
cocheese

Hey guys, Drove my truck the other day and broke one of the front knuckles... I guess theese trucks don't like slamming into big chunks of metal laying in a parking lot. Oh well, could have been worse. I have really been hard on this truck the last few times I have driven it and had mimimal breakage. It was even running better then my buddies revo the other day. I was with some buddies and they had a Revo, Jato, and a couple T-maxx's, They were all impressed that this thing was only $200.

anyways, what modifications are needed to install these MT2 front knuckles, I want to install these ASAP.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Apocalyptic1

Hello, I have read every post here - and yet have found anybody that knows a aftermarket clutch bell that works. A lot of post on like and dislikes but, nobody seems to know if there is a clutch bell of a higher quality that fits. I will admit that I am pretty new at this hobby and use this forum to try and learn. I apologize that I a FNG but, sure would be nice if some of the experts could post a list of parts that are compatible with the Volcano STX. I can tell you that being new to this hobby I really appreciate the knowledge that the people that know there stuff provide. I know that RED CAT would like the feed back on there product both positive and negative, but sure wish they would set the forums up for a thread for people that are interested in learning from the experts in their field and a separate one for people that are interested in the I Like or Dislike thing. So that all being said I will apologize if anybody was offended by this post - but, I am really just interested in learning the ins and outs and not opinions on the product line. So I am an idiot when it comes to interchangeable parts and have the need to learn from the experts that are willing to share their knowledge. Which is greatly appreciated that they take there time to help us rookies. With all that long winded statement being stated - Help Please
Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 PM
KSNitro

That's not entirely true... about the clutch bell... shamelessbill used an HPI 19T clutch bell on a single speed Redcat.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
stewtheman

cocheese, in order to make the front steering knuckles work you'll have to get a pair of 5x11x4mm bearings and a pair of 10x15x4mm bearings. I got the smaller bearings from Traxxas as they were $10 cheaper than HPI's and I got the larger ones as bushings instead of bearings because I'm cheap. I also had to slightly drill out the hole on the knuckle's arm that connects to the turnbuckle. All this was very easy and has worked very well. I've driven it hard several times now and they do great. The arms of the HPI knuckles don't extend inward as far as the stock ones, so you'll have to adjust the turnbuckles out some to keep the toe out less extreme (as entity just pointed out in my picture). I already adjusted them out some but I guess I'll have to do some more.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 PM
eze98032

Hey guys I figure I'd post some pics after a hard day at the track. I see all these nice looking clean trucks and I can't remember what that looks like. Today was a good day at the track but my air filter came off and I now might have to rebuild the engine. I'm pretty sure some dirt go in there cause my compression has gotten pretty weak. Oh well just part of the hobby I guess. I also just lost my first clutch spring. Got a little fuel on it trying to clean my carb. Shortly after that it broke. So that could be part of everybody elses problem with the spring. My worked great for a long time. So be careful if you are trying to prime your carb not to spill nitro intro your clutch. That's all for now.
P.S. Sorry about the picture quality took them with my phone.
EZE

Name:	Fd92260.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	455007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47123.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	455008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51179.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	455009  
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 AM
shadymarkny

You got the link to that clutch bell? Mine broke today and a piece of it came off.. lol this is my first time seen something like this happened before. Also theres pic of my break pads.. Those are the 3rd set of break pads and so far it went through 5 tanks already no problem so I think I fixed the problem.. Basically my engin was idling too high. I had the break pads set when the car is in neutral the break locks up so the truck won't take off and that's what caused the break pads to wear out so quickly. So I finally had to adjust the idling.Took me a while to adjust the idling but I have it perfectly fine now. I am an idiot.. But I need that link to that HPI clutch bell or something that's better the stock ones. Thanks!!

Name:	Vt57271.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	455049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35269.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	455050  
Old 05-03-2006, 01:19 AM
stewtheman

Wow! These clutch bells are amazingly versatile! Yours cracks and chips apart and mine expands like a balloon! Actually, now that mine has expanded it looks more like an actual bell. It's only trying to be true to its name and I shouldn't have a problem with that. I ordered a 19 tooth HPI clutch bell and am hoping it's the right one. I'll let everyone know if it is as soon as I get it.

eze98032, how your clutch spring lasted for any extended period of time is a mystery to me. Mine broke on the second tank and no fuel came into contact with it. Your truck looks great covered in dirt like that! That's the way a truck should be! Have I ever said that I love my truck? Good times!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:06 AM
eze98032

stewtheman, is that the stock bell in the picture? I would hope not, but knowing this truck it probably is. Thats what we get when we buy a cheaper product.

The guys at the local hbs always enjoy looking at what kinda parts they can rig for my truck. When we race at the track on sundays they have a blast watching it. The only problem I really have at the track is the tires. I need a less aggressive tire. That actually might help me win a race instead of 2nd or 3rd in my truck catagory. Next time I'm at the track I'll take some pics of it so you guys can see. I'll have to get a new spring first. The guys at the hbs store will find something I'm sure. Will let you all know what works.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
stewtheman

That is most definitely the stock bell in my picture. It's pretty crazy. My bell was looking good after about 35 tanks, but in the last 5 it has mutated.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
shadymarkny

Hey stew, Let me know how those HPI clutch bells handles and fit.. Maybe ill get one too myself.. I need a new bell as well and I am looking for something better.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
entity
Banned

what does the clutch look like inside?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM
shadymarkny

It looks like its all grinded up from the last broken clutch that I had. I broke a spring on my 3rd tank.. Now I am running on my 15th tank now and the bell is wearing off.. I should of replaced the bell from before. The bell has lines of scratches on it and looks like the clutch was diggin into the bell. But I have a new clutch put in like 4 tanks ago. I know its gota be the bell problem..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.