Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Nitro-EMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Hey, Nofreetime. I have a himoto buggy, same as the redcat racing buggy, i ordered my parts from Highspeed toys (www.highspeedtoys.com ) parts come from N.C or Cali. Have fun with your buggy
Old 05-09-2006, 01:13 PM
shadymarkny

The 2 speed trany in the Lightning, Do you think that will fit the Volcano ? I was looking at the car pictures and it looks the same as the volcano but I dunno if it will fit. It would be nice to put a 2 speed in the truck.. If someone has a lighting and volcano.. maybe they can try it out and see if it fits. The Bell and the trany looks like it would fit.. but I don't know.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
nitrosteve22

I see no reason why it wouldnt fit considering all three redcat 1/10th scales are pretty much similar aside from a few odds & ends. Might wanna tinker with the gearing but thats about it...
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 PM
stewtheman

Well, my clutch bell is officially in pieces. The gears ripped completely off of the bell and that has forced my truck into the shop. The only reason why I was still running that old bell (and without a clutch spring because the mishapen bell kept breaking them) was because Tower decided to ship my order from Nevada for some reason. I ordered a replacement bell from them May 2 and still haven't received it. This is very unusual as I always get my orders from Tower in one to two business days. Then again, they always ship from Illinois and Indiana. Man, I really hate waiting! I'm very impatient.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:17 PM
cartronicshn

all transmissions from redcat are interchageable, only differences might be gearing from the lightning and the tornado xp.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:38 PM
stewtheman

I'd like to take this moment to show you my bloated and decapitated clutch bell. It's quite a sight and I'm mighty proud of it.

shadymarkny, look out because I just entered the drawing with you for the free car! Woohoo! Thanks for the inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66432.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	458962  
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 PM
shadymarkny

wow stew!! Way to go man.. I never seen that before.. I mean I though it was bad enough when I saw mine has chipping away but that's something else.... lol
Old 05-09-2006, 10:50 PM
bluecaka69

ORIGINAL: shadymarkny

The 2 speed trany in the Lightning, Do you think that will fit the Volcano ? I was looking at the car pictures and it looks the same as the volcano but I dunno if it will fit. It would be nice to put a 2 speed in the truck.. If someone has a lighting and volcano.. maybe they can try it out and see if it fits. The Bell and the trany looks like it would fit.. but I don't know.
the lightning tranny will fit i put one in my volcano boy it sure made a difference
check out my pics here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...mpage_3/tm.htm about half way down
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 AM
shadymarkny

Really? Awesome man, I might give it a try.. But is it really faster??

Name:	Ki20348.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	459234  
Old 05-10-2006, 10:54 PM
cgoodlet

Hey all,
I know earlier there was discussion on the axle dog bones being different lengths. I am not sure exactly where to measure from but I just measured mine from pin to pin and came up with 85mm the manual says they should be 83mm. About half way through the suspension travel the dog bones are pretty much locked hard against the hub and the diff.
It seems that these components are measured on shaft diameter and length. Can they be ordered in different lenghts??
cg.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 PM
shadymarkny

Hmm.. That is what I am trying to find out too. Might as well just get a longer shafter from a different company. I am looking into this as well. Rear alum hub. But I believe that if everyone says that it wasn't for the lenth of the shaft, it would of fit perfectly. So I bet by buying a longer shaft should solve the problems.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:28 AM
eze98032

Hey guys on the dog bones I figured your best using The factory ones otherwise you will have to make some pretty big mods unless you fine small ones but in my search I didn't have to grind some hpi's to make them work.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 AM
cgoodlet

I still have the stock suspension and wheel mounting components in my truck for a few more days. The problem I am finding is that the stock stuff is interfering with itself (dog bones seem to long) in the manual they show three different lengths 83mm for 4 axle shafts (but mine measure up at 85mm) a 70mm (front drive shaft) and 55mm (rear drive shaft). I did notice that the Buggy calls up some 80mm axle shafts. I guess I am worried that once I start to beef up the components that are breaking that I might start to transfer these stresses to something harder to work on (ie the diff's).
cg
Old 05-11-2006, 06:39 AM
futabaed

measure from the center head of dogbone to center head of other end of dogbone.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 AM
stewtheman

Well, I think I may have some major damage. Last night I was running my Volcano when it suddenly died on me. I went over to start it again and couldn't pull the pull string at all. I also noticed that the flywheel could be turned without any resistance whatsoever. I'm thinking that can't ever be good. So, what's the verdict? Beyond repair? I haven't had a chance to examine it yet so I thought I'd get some advice from you guys.

shadymarkny, I really like your grill! What did you use for that?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 AM
naviuk

Hi

It weird that the fly will move but not the starter... It sounds like somthing inside has broken off or collapsed, possibly time to pull the motor apart.

The grille, i'm guessing knowing his window conversion he used the rest of the netting he "borrowed" from the table tennis table... haha

Cheers
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 AM
shadymarkny

Thanks!! lol ... Yup you got it man. Old tennistable I was never good at that sports anyways...
Sorry to hear about that engine trouble of yours Stew. I had something like that happened to me once with my NTC3 stock engine.. Same thing happens.. Fly wheel was moving but couldn't pull the cord. I opened the engine and the piston was broken into 3 pieces and that was my problem. Maybe this is something similar.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
stewtheman

It turns out that I have a broken crankshaft. Has anyone ever had that with any of their engines? What causes that? I am wondering if the 19 tooth HPI clutch bell was too much for the engine to handle but I don't know. The stock bell is a 17 tooth one, right? I would have ordered the HPI one with 17 teeth if I would have taken the time to count the teeth on the stock one. For those of you still wondering about the compatability of the HPI bell that's been brought up several times, it works as long as you get some 5x8mm bearings. I also had to remove the plastic post supporting the fuel tank because the bell was rubbing against it. It worked fine for the tank and a half before my crankshaft broke, although the acceleration was much more sluggish from the higher tooth count. I didn't get a chance to really check out the top speed because my engine died.

Back to that crankshaft, is there anyway for me to get a replacement? Here's a picture for your enjoyment.

Name:	Us54420.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	459860  
Old 05-11-2006, 02:36 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

usually one of two things.. not enough lubrication or too much heat.. Most likely one of the two.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
shadymarkny

Doesn't Redcat has a limit warranty on the engines? Maybe you can send it back and they can fix it for you. I don't know.. That's what I did with my NTC3.. Took 3 weeks but its free. But I don't know if redcat covers that.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
stewtheman

I just talked with Redcat and their solution for broken parts on the engine is to buy an entire new engine. Well, I'm not going to be able to do that. So, I was wondering if anyone has a broken engine sitting around that I could purchase the crankshaft from. I remember reading a while back that someone had purposely run 2 or 3 engines to their deaths just to see what they were capable of. If anyone else remembers who that was I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
entity
Banned

It's not gonna be worth it to put someone elses broken parts etc or worn into that engine.. How much can you spend on a new one?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
naviuk

Hi

I won't lie to you, thats a pretty KAK response to fixing a engine... buy another one... i mean really.
Oh wel i hope mine stays in one piece...

Cheers

P.s i was just thinking, if you had a gear with more teeth that gave less accel etc, thats cause you had more teeth on the bell for starters, that would cause more stress on the crank, and judgeing by the way it's broken i can understand why it broke, it just had way to much stress on it,... thats just my 2cents worth... think of it like when u ride a bike and you have it on the max gear first for pull off, your legs ACHE to get going.......
Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
shadymarkny

That's messed up.. I don't like that respond. Team Associated asked me to send mine back with out a question ask. I must pay for shipping for I didn't have to pay for a new engine. Redcat has to have a better engine warranty. They do break from time to time. I mean over heating could make that break but besides the point.. They should cover that for at least 90 days.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:14 PM
entity
Banned

remember guys they don't have to cover anything. Most companys will not warrantee anything if any type of mods have been made to em or even if gas is through em. Just the ropes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.