Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/10th BUGGY

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/10th BUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Popper252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/10th BUGGY

Well it just sounds like you have to adjust the Throttle Trim on your remote control. Try turning that untill the tires stop spinning on you. Don't turn it too much or else the brakes will engage. All you have to do is find that happy spot in the middle. Let us know if that helps.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:54 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your low end needle is not set correctly, i would lean it an 1/8 turn at a time, run it and try to adjust the idle lower, you shouldnt use the trim to adjust the idle, you should leave the trim in the center (neutral) and lower the idle with the screw until it is low enough not to engage the clutch but high enough to run. when you use the brake you shouldnt lower the idle it should stay the same as it is in the neurtral position.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Popper252

Hello, I've just got a question about servos. I was looking at the [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/servos.html]Futaba s3010[/link] servo to replace my current steering servo. The original one that came with the car just doesn't seem to have enough juice to get quick precise turns out of it. Would I get any noticable benefit from going with the s3010 (90.2 oz-in torque) or the little bit weaker but half the price s3003 (56.9 oz-in torque) model? There's an even stronger s3305 model that has 123 oz-in at 6 volt but i think that may be a little overkill. I'm fairly happy with the throttle servo, it really doesn't have to do all that much so I don't really feel the need to upgrade that. I was also thinking with maybe just getting a whole new radio system. The [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASX2**&P=ML]Futaba 2PH[/link] looks like it would be good and that way I could upgrade my throttle servo aswell. Or I could get the 2 servo kit and sell one of them and get the stronger s3010. Oh the choices.

The price run down is as follows.
S3003 10.99
S3010 22.99
S3305 34.99
2PH w/ 1 s3003 servo 42.99

Keep in mind i'm a broke college kid
Thanks
Old 04-15-2006, 12:48 AM
blackdogafd

hey popper, i bought the futaba 2ph radio system for my himoto syclone and it came with 2 s3003 servos adn everything else to change all the electronics and i'll tell you what it was the best thing i did for this thing.. as far as steering goes the 3003's are just fine. mine turns on a dime and has no problems what so ever, so check into it

here's the link to where i bought mine from..

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUTABA-2PH-AM-w-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Popper252

Hey thanks for the link man, that'll save me from having to pay shipping charges.

Edit: I was actually looking through his store and he has the 3003/3010 setup for 60 dollars. I'm still a little torn between that. I love POWER!!! Wooo
This is where my irrational "gotta be a dude" mentality comes in. I'm not gonna buy anything tonight. I'll probably sleep on it for a while and see what I decide on.
Any other input would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:56 AM
blackdogafd

hey no problem. i know all about the money thing cause i got three kids and a wife to support along with this hobby, and gettin things for my fire dept job!!

just glad i could help out!! you'll love that radio system!!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Popper252

Haha I think I picked the wrong hobby considering the whole money thing Oh well too late now, i'm hooked.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Firefighter7

ORIGINAL: blackdogafd

hey no problem. i know all about the money thing cause i got three kids and a wife to support along with this hobby, and gettin things for my fire dept job!!

just glad i could help out!! you'll love that radio system!!
Glad to here another firefighter is in to this hobby....... You'll love the job man!!!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
blackdogafd

yeah i've been a firefighter for just over 2 years now,but this nitro i just started to et back into...

had a few rc's in the past but this is the first nitro i've owned

9/11/01 we remember
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84440.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	445654  
Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 PM
blackdogafd

hey guys well i busted a clutch spring the other day and went to my lhs and got one that is for a t-maxx 2.5 and it was alittle hard to get on but it on now lol

too bad i couldnt test it today cause it rained...... figures.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Popper252

Hey, I was just wondering if you all could help me out. What's the part number for the screws that hold the engine mounts to the chassis? I've scrapped mine up a bunch and they're starting to strip because of it. I figure I better replace them now before they're completely sheared away. Unfortunately all the screws in the book and on the website look the same. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
white_mexican5
Banned

ok im kinda off topic but im thinking about getting a tornado XL and it seems very well priced for what *** says it is butt if any of u have one could u tell me the main problems/ disidvanteges(sp?) and the good things about it.

thx
Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 PM
ehroof

i have the tornado xp, gears spur gears strip every 3 tanks of fuel. The xl is a single speed and my volcano is also a single speed and it took about 20 tanks of fuel for it to strip, this is understandable. The pullstart will more than likely be a problem, the radio system may be a problem, the one for the volcano is good, the tornado needed to be replaced. The clutch spring will most likely break, you should upgrade it to a traxxas spring. I personally have had no problems with the suspension's on my redcat rc's but you should read the posts about it. All i can say is be prepared to spend money on parts, no matter what you pay for the original purchase. This is true with most of this hobby no matter what you buy but with my redcats there is definately more money spent on parts than the other rc's that i have and i do "get on" my other rc's more that my redcats.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:05 AM
nitrosteve22

Well today was a good day I guess... Got about six tanks through this afternoon,them quarts dont last very long (almost through my second one). The buggy held up perfectly,although it baffles me... I beat the hell outta this thing and ya'll are always complaining about the plastic but on mine its the darn chassis! Not sure exactly how this one happened but on the right side of the chassis (facing buggy) its bent up badly causing the front suspension to sit unlevel and its hard to keep a straight line now. I was jumping it,rolling it,doing what a nitro RC owner usually does I guess.

Just finished the routine maintanence but I dont feel like tearing the front end apart to straighten it out tonight. As you can see by the picture with the clutch bell and transmission assembly the gears look just fine after a 1/4 under two quarts (stock gears as well). Only things thats broken on this vehicle was the clutch spring which made it almost a full quart before giving out.

But hey! Ya know how I'm always having problems tuning my engine?... Well guess what,I still am!!!! Looks like I got the bullet proof buggy with a possessed engine! I rad outta gas before I could tinker with it anymore and south park was coming on so I had to call it a night. Honestly I think its pretty close though but I've noticed this little mill has a temper much like myself and when zipping around (not constant full throttle blasts but still getting on it hard!) I can keep it around 230F-250F and rarely I'll see 260F with the body off. You put the body on and you can add around 15F-20F+ and thats with 1/2 the front window cut out. I'll try hacking the body all to hell to try and improve cooling. It's hard to get started and a pain to keep running until you get her to 200F+ ... Bah I dunno,still think I'd get more enjoyment using it for target practice but owell... I'll tinker with it a little more and after that it can kiss my backside. I dont see myself putting too much money in to this one. I'm gunna buy an 1/8th scale buggy and a good radio and this thing can just be my secondary backyard basher.

Anyways heres some pics,I'm bored and its dark so no run time. The girlfriend will pretty much eat up all of tomorrow so I doubt it'll see any run time till next week provided the weather is decent. Ok enough yakkin....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22443.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	448163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56221.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	448164  
Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 AM
ehroof

its nice to hear someone is having a good time with their tornado, i dont like to use it, just tired to fixing it. i run 1 tank and put it away, seems any more than that and the gears will strip
Old 04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
nitrosteve22

It sucks to hear how many problems people are having with there 1/10th scale redcats. The only problem on mine is that damned engine but its close to being in tune. It's doing what its supposed to within more appropriate temps but it still needs some fine tuning.
But after looking at it more I'm %99.9 sure that O.S CV engine would work perfectly but I'm not sure if I wanna subtract a hundred bux from the 'buy steve a bigger better buggy fund' .... The only other thing that bugs me is the radio and servos,If I get this thing 1/2 way down the street it takes a hard left and usually stops because its slams in to something,and the fail safe kicks the brakes in. The range is horrible on this radio,the range is 1/2 the block [&o] and the servos are so slow its hard to keep control of the buggy at times... I might drop a fifty spot on a futaba am setup with some better servos just for more range and better response.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
J5IVE

Does anyone know where I can find the gear (or the part number) for the single speed gear set...one of the teeth roke on mine and the rest got grinded...please help...its the 44 tooth one (i counted)...TOPSPEED, anyone?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
TopSpeedToys

For the 44 tooth gear you can order part number 02040. We hav it listed on the LightningVX but I opened a "moderet gear set" #02076 and it matched up perfect. Says 44 right on the gear. Plus, you'll see it listed on the redcat website for the tornado.

Mark

Old 04-22-2006, 04:13 PM
bspate

Well.....I got my new Himoto Syclone engine broke in yesterday.....

I had it up on a stand while it was idling, but it would immediately die if I put it on the ground. I was OK with that since I heard that the engine should be broke in with the wheels off the ground.

But, on the 3rd tank, I started leaning it out a little and got to where it is about 2.5 turns out on the HSN but it still idles really fast!! I turned down the idle speed a tiny bit at a time, but the wheels would still be spinning like mad to the point where it would bog and hurt my hand if I grabbed a wheel . If I adjusted the idle speed to the point to where the wheels wouldn't be spinning fast, the car would just die.....hhmm.

So......after the 3rd tank I decided to take it out to a parking lot nearby to start running it like it should be. I got there and could not get the thing started to save my life!! I took the glow plug out and it would glow bright red and the fuel on it would burn a small flame for a few seconds. I put it back in, move the HSN to a richer setting, turn the idle up a bit, and still couldnt get it to start. I tried everything I have read here on the forum....

I finally quit after getting blisters on my hand from the pull start. I'm looking into a starter box or roto start now after that pain in the butt!!!

I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I won't give up this easy. By the way, when I turned my car on its side this morning, a lot of water looking liquid came pouring out of the exhaust......so maybe this was bogging down the engine from starting????

- bspate -
Old 04-22-2006, 05:33 PM
nitrosteve22

Sounds like the clutch spring. You wouldnt be the first... Pull your clutch bell off and check it out.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:27 PM
ehroof

clutch spring, get the traxxas spring i posted, i think its #4146x . The recat springs seem to bust real easy.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:30 AM
J5IVE

Thanks Mark...I've placed an order with you...aluminum exhaust, the connector and the 44 tooth gear...I will definitely be getting more stuff in the coming weeks...any idea when you'll be getting the front aluminum arms? I'd like to get both at the same time and some other stuff...FYI the link to add part 02027 (heat resistant thing between exhaust and connector) to your cart links to the basic exhaust so I couldn't get it.

Thanks for your help.

Jason
Old 04-23-2006, 10:14 AM
bspate

ORIGINAL: nitrosteve22

Sounds like the clutch spring. You wouldnt be the first... Pull your clutch bell off and check it out.
Yep!! It was the clutch spring. I remember during the first tank that I was hearing a slight metal tapping sound from the clutch shoes hitting the bell housing, and then later remember not hearing it anymore.

I took the engine out and removed the bell housing and the spring was broke. I made another loop and put it back together and I still had a little trouble keeping it running when I revved the engine. I then noticed I was running a little too lean. A little half turn on the HSN and now it runs great!!

It's pretty cool getting to take a small car apart and work on it!!

- bspate -
Old 04-25-2006, 10:08 PM
bluecaka69

does anyone know what screws holds the engine to the engine mounts my tornado busted on on one of my jumps so i need to replace
Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
TopSpeedToys

Thanks for the order Jason and thanks for letting me know about part number 02027, we've corrected it now.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.