Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

one quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 AM
taylor152806

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one quick question

i know i know its been talked about 9000000x but let me get this right. what is to tight for the spur gear. i feed a reg. pc of paper through the clutch and spur and it goes in and out without tearing but its tight. no play once i take the paper out. ya know hold the clutch bell and some say you should have alittle play. well i dont but the paper does not tear. or do ya think that is perfict mess? lol
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
TThib

Default RE: one quick question

The paper trick is a good baseline. Then I go by feel. Spin the spur gear, is it binding? Does it feel smooth? Adjust from there, "rinse and repeat" if necessary.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM
rc rock

does it roll freely?
when you hold the bell how much will the spur move (should be 1mm-1.5mm)
if the answers are yes ur ok
have fun
Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
taylor152806

yea good post rc rock.. how about my spur gear does not seem to be straight when spun it moves in and out the gear itself. not talkin about the whole gear set just the plastic spur gear its not not much but do ya think this is a problem
Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Redharris

ALSO.....unfortunately, most of these geartrains will have components that are slightly Out of Round.
What that means is that The Spur gear mesh COULD be Perfect in one spot but too Loose/Tight in another. You gotta check it ALL the way around, and the adjustment will probably be a compromise.

This is Especially true with Transmissions where you replaced only the SPUR gear, because the other Gears AND the bearing seats in the Housing will be slightly worn too.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM
jumpanddrop

i find that the paper trick sets the spur gear mesh to tight. maybe try 2 peaces of paper
Old 03-23-2008, 05:33 PM
chevyderek72

what i do is put paper in between the clutch bell and gear and then push it together. than i tighten it up and pull the paper out, and i check and there is a little bit of play in between the gears. works for me.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 PM
rkkthe3

On my Nitro Shockwave, I have changed a many spur gears and usually find the new ones to be slightly out of round. I also bought a new entire transmission which came with a new spur gear. I found that it was also slightly out of round (the shaft is good, it's the gears that are not round). So, the result is that there is never a perfect adjustment for the spur gear. The thing is, it doesn't appear to affect the gear if the car isn't jumped or slammed hard (at least on my car). I have trashed two spur gears in just a few hours when I run the course at a local hobby shop's dirt track which has several large jumps. Then, I have gone many weeks with the same gear just driving around the street or yard with minimal jumping. My car has the steel clutch bell and it is round (I did a runout check on it). I think that my Redcat would benefit from a slipper clutch arrangement on the spur gear to help reduce the loads on it during landings. My HPI gas truck has this type of set up and the plastic spur gear has survived several years of serious punishment at the track.
Just my thoughts....
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
ranger4x4

i did the paper trick with my volcano and found the easiest way to get it is to make sure it's long enuff and get it to go all the way around the clutch teeth until it touches again and snug the screws for the engine mounts pull the paper out and check all the way around and it should be good as long as there isn't too much in the tight spots. thats my 2 cents.