Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CAD at Home

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:27 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAD at Home

CAD at Home

I need some information from CAD users to complete a report. If you are familiar with CAD, what software are you using at home?

If your are only using it at the office, down the street, or at school, then don't respond. Need to know what is loaded up on the computer to which you may be accessing the internet with.

Then,

Is the CAD software that you are using considered obsolete, or is it the current version?

Did you buy it retail, at a close-out or discount place, get it second-hand after it was pulled off another computer, or are you operating from a Demo or Free-Trial version?

How familiar or capable do you feel with it? 100% familiar with all the functions, maybe 60% knowledgible, just barely familiar, or just have it installed and not really sure how it works?

Thank you for your responces.

Wm.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:11 PM
glidaguy28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAD at Home

hi there Coosbay have a free program from Fastcad called viewer7....lets me scale and print DXF planes......only new to this and learning...the more I use the better I get....I all so have Turbocad V5 but find this to overwellming with to many options and doesnt display all my Cad files.....have had no such problems with Fastcad....Crewe
Old 09-28-2003, 08:25 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I just bought Design CAd 3-D max since it can import in Bitmaps. I am scanning in the 3-views as bitmaps and then in Design Cad 3-D max converting these into vector lines.

The cad program cost $70 from www.outpost.com

I also have Pro-E student edition on my home computer but it can not import in bitmaps. I have used Pro-E at work and at home and honestly it is not well suited for model airplane plans if you are dealing with scale planes and want to import in bitmaps to get the right shape. If you are designing your own new design it can work wonders, design in 3-D and then create the drawings from the 3-D models.

Pro-E is difficult to learn and is 3-D based, not drawing based.

I have noticed that most users avoid the 3-D modeling and go straight to the 2-D drafting.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:54 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

TurboCAD 7 here. I feel that I'm about 70% familiar with it to the point I can do the CAD faster than I can do the same drawing if I have to so much as pick up a ruler to use with a pencil. Current version is 9 so I guess I'm obsolete but it does what I need so I don't feel much pressure to upgrade. Bought it as an upgrade from ver 5.1 off the net. Bought the original 5.1 at a discount price from the local software store.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:19 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

AutoCAD LT. Bought new. Still learning, and I don't feel qualified to rate it.

Went for the (relatively) big bucks because of the reputation.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:21 PM
toy264

Have loaded on computer:
AutoCAD 2002, fairly current, - bought retail- 2D 60%, 3D just starting
Winfoil, current version, retail, 100%
Compufoil, demo version, 50%-don't use
Profili, demo, 50%- don't use
Rhino 3D demo, 0%, haven't tried
Old 09-29-2003, 01:34 AM
shupack

I'm using a cheapo 15 dollar program called totalcad 2d-3d, it was cheap so I bought it, i'm about 50% proficient with 2d, no idea how to make the 3d work yet. I used autocad for one semester in school 10 years ago, and the schools version was obsolete then, but that was a better program than what I have now,

when I import a pic, BMP, JPG, TIF...doesn't matter, it ends up squashed into a 1cm square, re-sizing it leaves me with a bunch of fuzz, no lines. I've tried for weeks to get it to work, no joy. and the layers arent' really layers, they just make changing colors a little faster, but for just plain drawing it does it's job well
Old 09-29-2003, 01:53 AM
steveg_oz

Hi,

I'm using QuickCAD (by Autodesk, very cut down version of Autocad). Bought the software full price. Haven't updated it since purchase in 1999. About 80%+ familiar with the product.

I'm thinking about updating as I'm trying to get into CADCAM kit production, its been suggested that I switch to AutoSketch.

Steve
Old 09-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

TurboCad6, got it free from work after an upgrade. Also Drawing Board. I'm about 80% familiar with either. I bought Drawing Bd before I got TC6 for $100. I also use Compufoil, full package.
Edwin
Old 09-29-2003, 08:32 AM
dr_wogz

Borrowed copy from work
Acad, Mech desktop & Inventor.
Since my day consists of 90% Acad, very knowlageble...
Furniture, doll houses, feild boxes, actual work form work...
Old 09-29-2003, 08:45 AM
narpets

Drawingboard. Bough it as intro offer years ago for something like $50. About 90%
CompuFoil. Bought full version years ago. About 60% total features, and 100% of what I need it for
Old 09-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Pilatus

Hi,
with all known cad programs represented in the replies above, which <200USD program can do the following;

I would like to play around with my 3D model and stretch the fuselage etc and at the same time get the fuselage formers or ribs in paperspace to change as I change things in modelview. Some of the CheapCAD alternatives can just view different angles of the 3D model in the paperspace views and not display a specific block or cross section. In other words, as I change the 3D model I would like to see all the individual parts to change directly in the plan that I intend to print.

//calle
Old 09-30-2003, 05:54 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber
CAD at Home
DesignCAD 3D MAX - Current version, bought retail, 85% familiar with functions.
DesignCAD 3D - Original DOS version, bought retail, 95% familiar with functions.

Dan
Old 09-30-2003, 06:47 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WM I use corel draw 11 which is current version. I have mechanical desktop 6 but it is so complicated I hardly ever use it. Corel I got as an upgrade and mech desktop got from my boy cause he uses it at school and needs to use my puter sometime so I would assume it is student version.

Joe
Old 09-30-2003, 08:01 PM
CoosBayLumber

Sort of restricting this to CAD, as graphic arts software is not of interest as mentioned in opening, and does not work into present need for information. Such software will not also accept simple LISP programs which eliminate much of the tediousness.

Wm.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 AM
lharvey

I have been in engineering and working with CAD systems for over 15 years. By far, the best software for me is MicroStation. I have used this software on the professional level to do everything from create models, movies as well as design drawings.

If you can imagine it, you can draw it using MicroStatioin. When a company purchases a licensed copy, they are also awarded a "Home Use Copy" for allowing the users to take a copy home for non-commercial use. Thus, this is my design software of choice at home.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Mike James

Hi Bill,

I'm still using "Carrara Studio" (V.3), which is the evolution of some software originally called "Ray Dream Designer", then later "Ray Dream Studio". ( http://www/eovia.com )

I don't generally print plans from Carrara, but instead, use it to quickly visualize design shapes and equipment installation. (and to show guys on RCU my latest designs) I can import and export dxf, 3ds, obj, and it's proprietary file format, ".car". The modeler will allow importing of EPS files, so I can do cross-sections in Illustrator, then use them in Carrara, if I want to.

I bought it new, and purchase upgrades as they are offered. I am 100% familiar with it, since I've been using it for about 10 years.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40744.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	65811  
Old 10-06-2003, 07:35 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

TurboCad 7 for me, bought it off EBAY. I feel i'm about 50% familiar with the functions, still have alot to learn.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Check out Intellicad at www.cadopia.com. You can download the evaluation version for free. It's a good as Autocad 2000 for 2d cad work. Autocad dwg file compatible, export dxf and other formats.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:17 AM
oldcabmkr
My Feedback: (127)

I use AutoCad 14, but also have 2000 and 2002. I have been using AutoCad for about 10 years and love it. I also use Compufoil for all the wing layout and rib generation (full version). I can export to a dxf and paste the parts and lofted wing layout directly into AutoCad. This is great and saves having to draw the wing. I also have a plotter at home and work and this is great for making my own plans (36" format at home and 42" at work).
Thanks Doug
Old 10-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Ch0pp3r

Model Cad 3000 at home. I bought it for $55 at a discount on the internet. I had a previous version and felt comfortable with the previous software package so I opted to continue with the line. I feel I am 60% to 70% proficient. The new version has improved documentation so I am learning faster.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:08 PM
mking1

Design cad 3d max at home. It's not obsolete, but the current version is on order.
Origininally purchased from local computer/software store. Latest version purchased on-line.
Miles.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:16 PM
windtalker

AutoCad 2000 utilizing the 2D and 3D features.
Automated Machinery, jigs, fixtures etcc......
I guess about 85-90% proficient.
Use same copy at home and work.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:56 AM
CoosBayLumber

OK, thanks all. Your replies and information will be used soon.

If any newcomers to this site are using CAD at home for Model A/C purposes, please sign in, and indicate as per above, what you are using.

Wm.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:29 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Sorry William, missed the post earlier. I use TurboCAD v3.01 at home, with my laptop on business trips (great fun on airline flights to pass the time) and somewhat on my office 'puter. It was current in about '94/'95 and I began to use it initially because it was a fairly small program, RAM miserly and had a clean, simple interface plus good helpfiles. I have older computers and older software seems to work the best with them. I traded an old FS program for it and yes, I guess most people would say it's obsolete.

I would consider myself about 75% proficient with it and am still learning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.