Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Giant Delta! 86 inches!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 10:52 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Delta! 86 inches!!

by the way my vertical surfaces are made with the 1 inch blue more dense foam just the wing is the white 2 inch foam.
My all up weight with fuel is 5.25 lbs

later Jim
Old 02-04-2003, 01:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Herb, you could try doing what I did with my newspaper combat models. I used about 5 layers of paper for the spars. These were all basically diamond shaped and in graduated sizes both spanwise and chordwise with 2 of them going tip to tip and the others to graduated semi span points from center. The smaller ones going on first so as not to make too big a bump. Then there were a similar 5 graduated layers of gusseting around the motor mounts to spread out the vibrations. In my case there was the same 5 layered gusset where the aluminium arrowshaft came out of the wing for the tail boom. After all the gusseting was plastered down the final overall layer went on with a generous overlap at the leading and trailing edges for ding resistance. The whole thing being done in one wet layup and, in my case, using the cutout beds to support the cores as the stuff went on.

One model that got mid aired and took off 3/4 of the outer wing was just beyond repair. So I grabbed the good wing at the tip and started hammering the mount against a concrete floor. It took 12 or more blows that would have left significant dents in the grain of a 2x4 with no noticable harm. It took at least 6 blows that would have driven a 3 inch nail into that same 2x4 to loosen the motor mount in the foam. One final full strength overhead swing finally blew it up.

And all this weighed in at a lighter weight than the equivalent balsa model.

I think it's time to buy some foam and ressurect my paper mache skillz...
Old 02-04-2003, 04:43 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Default WOW 51 Replies!

This thread is insane! Running close to the CNC router thread....just a few more posts!!! Haaa!

BMat,
Awesome idea the layered paper spar!! I'll have to try that!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:17 PM
JIMESTES

Default Hey everybody

I've drawn up some plans on AutoCAD here is a jpg of it it dosen't show up well but if you want the cad dwg file let me know I will send it to you.

GO TO MY GALLERY TO SEE LEGIBLE PHOTO'S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52663_11561.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	29242  
Old 02-04-2003, 09:21 PM
JIMESTES

They do not show up well after being reduced to 700 pixels
Even if you dont have cad I can E-mail a good legible plan in jpg format to any one whom wants it. All I ask in return is you review it after you fly it.
later Jim
[email protected]

Name:	52665_11561.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	29243  
Old 02-05-2003, 07:21 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default My Fin/Rudder

Here's a pic of my fin/rudder.

Name:	52923_5673.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	29244  
Old 02-07-2003, 03:31 AM
SgtMitchell
My Feedback: (5)

Crazy Herb,
Could you maybe send me the name of the builders supply you got the 2 inch thick foam from? I went out today after I read your post and bought a engine and servo's and went by every home improvement store within 20 miles of home and could not find any foam thicker than 1 inch. Do you think I could glue two pieces together or would that make it to heavy?? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-07-2003, 05:03 AM
avinut

SgtMitchell,

You gotta be a "northerner" to find it laying around every builders supply. They use it on the outside of underground (cellar) foundations.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:03 PM
JIMESTES

Lowe's Home Improvement
Home Depot

I also asked about it at my local hardware store they said the could order it in.
Later Jim
Old 02-07-2003, 07:30 PM
SgtMitchell
My Feedback: (5)

LOL!! I think I am too far south. Those were the first two places I went to. I think I will just stick two together and see how it does, maybe the glut wont add too much weight.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-08-2003, 04:49 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Hey Chris,

If you gotta have two pieces, why not add a spar in the middle, a bit too big, so that the middles are pushed out but the leading and trailing edges are together: Viola, instant airfoil!

Or not.

Gordon

(hey, this thread is lots more fun than the AMA forum I've been in!)
Old 02-17-2003, 03:24 PM
JIMESTES

Default 88 inch Delta Flier update

Just to let you all know it is still flying.
I flew the plane this weekend again and now have 16 flights on her. It does an excellent toilet bowl but can't seem to get it to start in to a flat spin I am not really sure how to start a flat spin with a delta as this is my first one.

Next time I get down to the supply house I am going to pick up some more foam and begin building the new and improved version.
I was going to wait for a structural failure to find the weak point but so far the only inadequate thing on this plane is the over speed effect on the elevons wich can be aleveated with dual elevon servo's.
I spent all day Sat. learning how to fiberglass so yes I do plan on incorporating some glass work in to the high stress areas and the servo pockets on the next one. I had a servo come loose this weekend and that made for an interesting oak leaf style landing so I want to be able to make some glass lined pockets and glass covers for them so as not to crash because of loose tape.
I also plan on using some Robart giant scale hinge points on the elevons.
One important note is that the glow fuel attacks the fiberglass tape that I used on the elevon hinges and to hold down the servo's. This was the reason my servo came out in flight the fuel got to the tape and it ate up the glue. But seems to have no effect on the packing tape.

Well that is all for now I will keep you informed
Later Jim
Old 02-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Wayne H

Default Here's Mine!

Many kudo's to CrazyHerb for a great design and awesome flyer. I flew mine for the first time today and had everyone on their feet to watch. I love flying this baby right on the deck. Does this thing really need a rudder? I have one and it is LARGE but I was thinking of cutting off the rudder portion and just keeping the fin. I didn't use the rudder at all today and the rudder gets banged up inside my truck so I was thinking of removing it and flying with just the ailerons and elevator. My Delta has a central elevator and outboard ailerons. Thanks Herb!

Name:	57796_5089.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	29245  
Old 02-24-2003, 07:16 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default AWESOME!

Nice Job Wayne!

These things are so fun...and SIMPLE!

I would think a fin without rudder would be fine if your not into trying to get it to flat spin or serious aerobatics. I find rudder helpfull in vertical climbs to keep it tracking straight.

Great Job! It's a neat feeling when other people take a design and run with it!

Best of luck and congradts on the third Giant Delta with a pic here in the forum.

High Flights!
CrazyHerb
Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Wayne H

When I initially flew my Delta, I just had the control surfaces held on with tape. I made the hinges from tape the same way one would make monocote hinges. Well, this was not very sturdy as I had flutter and the Rudder broke off. I was able to land the plane ok. I needed to think of a better way to hing these large surfaces made with 1" pink foam. This is what I came up with. Playing cards! Conventional R/C hinges would be to small for these large surfaces and the playing cards are tuff. I haven't glued them in yet in the photo(obliviously). I was wondering if I should use the polyurathane glue or some white glue. I was also thinking of pinning them with a couple of toothpicks on each side. I will let you know if they hold up as I plan to have it ready to fly this weekend.

Name:	60190_5089.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	29246  
Old 03-04-2003, 06:19 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Great Idea!

Great Idea Wayne!!
I'd go with the poly-u ....be careful not to get too much on it!

You could also punch some holes with hole-punch in the cards for more "Bite"..

Keep the pics comming! THey explain so much!

Jim,
I think you'll get much better spins from the newer airfoil. But keep in mind Deltas are pretty stable airframes to begin with. You may be able to move the CG back some more....but keep in mind the elevator is gonna get REALLY sensitive....dial out some of the elevator mix.

Great job guys! Giant Deltas Live!

CrazyHerb
Old 03-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Hello Herb and all. On the subject of hinges, I've been using coro-plast, like you would for a spad. I cut the desired size, remove one side of one flute, and cut it in like any other hinge. Since I did mine full lenght, I just ran it over my table saw to cut the groves, very simple and SOOOOO strong!

Gordon
Old 04-22-2003, 09:06 PM
JIMESTES

Hey Herb are you still flying yours?

I retired my first Giant Foam Delta with out any failure's. the reason for the retirment was the fiberglass tape was begining to let loose and I don't want to have a tragic end to a good flying plane so I have shelved the plane until a later date.
Still trying to find time to make the B-2 design in my gallery.
(It is full on flying season so I don't have time to mess with the delta design's I am spending all my spare time burning holes)
later Jim
Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Still going strong!!

Jim,
Yup the giant delta is still going....
I was doing wing tip drags the other day in 20 mph wind...everyone else was too chicken to fly...

Heck...I got my money's worth out of this thing the first flight...

I've sinced trimmed the fin down in height about 3 inches...

One of the things I will do next time is move the rudder hinge line WAY back...it's too far forward on my setup now and doesn't have much effect...too close to the CG.... It does knife well though...almost...

I have more video of the plane in action....just need to chase down the guy who shot the vid to convert to mpg...and more pics coming too....total riot...

Also, I've mounted a doorskin plate with a handle on the bottom for over-hand launching...

Wonder if a Ryobi powered delta is next??? I have one sittng right here....HMMMMM>...

High Flights!!
CrazyHerb
Old 04-23-2003, 04:34 AM
Wayne H

I should let everyone know that my Delta is still flying with the Tower .75. Best damn flying plane I own. So stable!! The playing card hinges work just great, and I did punch holes in the cards for more bite. The poly glue worked great!! Good idea Gordo on the coro-plast hinges. I am currently finishing up my coro-plast Q-HOR. Can't wait to fly it. My first coro-plast plane. I will always have a Giant Delta in my stable though!! I would almost recomend it as a first airplane....save your money!!....don't buy that balsa trainer plane....build one of these Giant Delta's and have a blast as well as save money, time, effort, ect, ect.!! The only hang up is the size of these planes. Though the size surely helps with the ease of flying. I seriously think that a person could learn and start off with a Giant Delta. Set the control throws small at first so you have a very docile plane. Then as your flying skills progress, kick it up a notch and let her rip!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:52 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Thanks Wayne!!

Thanks for the compliments Wayne!!!

I agree...these things are so stable....I wouldn't have a problem handing over the sticks to any rookie pilot.

Now....I wonder if a TWO piece wing can be fashioned with a couple of wing tubes to eliminate the transportation problem.... go with a twin rudder version like a giant BTE Votex and split it right down the middle....

Uh ooh....just increased build time to 6 hrs....by doing that....hmmm....

Keep em flying guys!
CrazyHerb
Old 07-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Wayne H

Default I can't get enough of this plane!!

Thanks again for the design Herb!! I love it!! This plane flies so perfect that I wish I never would of have wasted all that money on conventional r/c planes. My Giant Delat makes it out to the field with me every time. I am slowly forgetting all about the other planes I own. I built this smaller 48" version for my .40la that I had laying around. The control surfaces are coroplast. This plane flies great and gets into a wicked flat spin. Only problem is.....try getting out of that flat spin!! I need to dial in a little more elevator to help me come out of the spin. It's still a great plane. I am currently building another Giant Delta and plan to install my 25cc Homelite, mid mounted, pusher configuration. I'll keep you posted.

Name:	92471_5089.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	29247  
Old 07-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

You're a wild man, Wayne
Old 07-09-2003, 01:13 AM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default Coroplast and Deltas

Just thought I would let you guys know that I flew my Delta using coroplast for control surfaces. I took some left over 4mm coroplast sign board and used it for the ailerons, elevators and my vertical fin/rudder.

I routed out a slot in the trailing edge less than an inch deep with my dremel. Squirted in a little Pro Bond poly glue the whole length and then shoved in the coroplast. The coroplast fit perfect in the 1/8" trough esecially when the glue foamed up. The surfaces were about two inches wide plus what ever was shoved up in the trough. The coroplast was then split on one side of the flute to make the hinge. I then took small strips of 3/32" balsa and pushed them in the flutes a couple of inches to stiffen up the coroplast for the control horns.

I split my trailing edge into three equal lengths, elevator in the middle and ailerons on each side. Each was powered by a single standard servo. Needless to say with the first flight it buried the nose. I had no mixing of the ailerons and elevators and when it slowed, I didn't have enough elevator to hold the nose up. At cruising speed I had plenty of elevator though. I have since mixed in about 30% aileron with the elevator and it is plenty of control.

For the vertical fin, I used the dremel to dig a trough in the top of the foam about an inch and a half deep. I took a rectangle piece of coroplast and folded over one corner to make the fin (making the leading edge 45 degree angle). Basically so that if you looked at one side the flutes were vertical, the other side the flutes ran horizontal, with the glue in the middle it was extremely stiff. When I folded it, the vertical flutes stuck below the bottom of the fin about an inch and a half to stick in the trough in the foam. The vertical flutes also stuck out the back of the fin about two inches to make the rudder. I split a flute to make the hinge same way as the aileron/elevators.

It made for an extremely fast build and flies great. Just thought I would throw that out for another idea for this plane...

-Scott-
Old 07-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Wayne H

That's a great idea Scott (VoughtF4U)!! I did the exact same thing on my little Delta with the ailerons and elevator, except I drilled holes in the coro on the plane side that went into the slot to help with the adhesion. I only used a single piece of coro with 1/8" dowel inserted for stiffness for the rudder, but I will try your idea of folding the coro to make the rudder stiffer on my next one. I am going to go all out and even incorporate some retracts!! I want one similar to RalphV. His looks awesome!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.