Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Rules and reulations for float flying in Massachusetts?

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Rules and reulations for float flying in Massachusetts?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Devil_Inside
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rules and reulations for float flying in Massachusetts?

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a nice glow-powered seaplane at a local swap meet and I am really anxious to fly it and see what the whole float flying is all about I am an experienced flyer and have flown everything from small 3D foamies to giant-scale gas airplanes, but I am completely new to float flying and I don't know of there are special rules and regulations that I need to adhere to. Since this is not an electric plane it does not exactly fit the criteria of a park flyer so I am pretty sure I can't just randomly pick a lake and start flying, can I?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rules and reulations for float flying in Massachusetts?

Local governments may have enacted "no fun allowed" regulations, but probably not, unless you see a sign posted. 

Scope out the site. Spot physical hazards such as wires and trees. Take note of canoe rentals, beaches, other "no-fly" situations. Plan your flight area.
North-facing beaches are great. The sun stays out of your eyes.
Avoid irritating people.  As at your club field, it is completely unacceptable to fly over anyone. 
If you launch your plane while people are fishing in the vicinity it's just plain rude.
Most people are appreciative and curious.  Engage them in conversation. Be a "Nice Guy". They'll be spectators and not complainers.
If somebody calls the cops, apologize and pack up your stuff immediately. Point out that you had looked and it's not posted, but are eager to obey regulations.  Ask politely if other places are available where you might fly..

All that said, I have never been asked to leave a float-flying site. Floatplanes are cool to watch!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM
chistech

I would recommend getting in touch with local RC clubs in your area and find out where they float fly. Our club has worked very hard to secure a private beach on a 88 acre pond here in southern MA and anyone flying here has to be either a club guest or member as we have insured the pond and the owner as one of our club's alternate flying sites. You should join the AMA and fly at a pond with other AMA float flyers to "learn" the basics. I can tell you there are lots of ponds in the New England area but lots are reservoirs and cannot be flown on. Others have very little access or parking and the ponds that are used are guarded well by the float flyers. The last thing wanted is someone not knowing much, losing the right for everyone to fly there. You could get in touch with Andy Argenio the New England AMA VP, who could help you find a float flying club close to your location. I know they fly a lot up in Contocook NH. in one of the state parks I believe. The Charles River club has a couple of float flying sites they use too.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Chistech!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Devil_Inside
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: chistech

I would recommend getting in touch with local RC clubs in your area and find out where they float fly. Our club has worked very hard to secure a private beach on a 88 acre pond here in southern MA and anyone flying here has to be either a club guest or member as we have insured the pond and the owner as one of our club's alternate flying sites. You should join the AMA and fly at a pond with other AMA float flyers to ''learn'' the basics. I can tell you there are lots of ponds in the New England area but lots are reservoirs and cannot be flown on. Others have very little access or parking and the ponds that are used are guarded well by the float flyers. The last thing wanted is someone not knowing much, losing the right for everyone to fly there. You could get in touch with Andy Argenio the New England AMA VP, who could help you find a float flying club close to your location. I know they fly a lot up in Contocook NH. in one of the state parks I believe. The Charles River club has a couple of float flying sites they use too.
Hi Chistech,

That's a sound advice, however I failed to mention that I am a member of the AMA and I am a member of a flying club. The problem is that our club does not organize any float-fly events primarily due the lack of interest amongst our members; I am also not aware of any other clubs in the area that get involved with float flying. If I am not mistaken last year there was a some sort of joint float-fly event that was organized by a couple clubs in the area, but I don't know much beyond that. I also have no idea if they are planning on organizing something this year... I will ask around to see what I can find, but bottom line is that I simply wanted to try float-flying to see if it is even something that I would enjoy doing, but it looks like finding a flying site might be more difficult than I thought.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Lamoilleriver

Check with your local hobby shop, if one is still around, they normally would have a good handle on what is going on in the local community.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM
chistech

With you in Woburn, the Charles River Club (Wayland) is the closest to you I know of that float flies consistently. Look them up and I'm sure they will help. They put on two float flies a year and my club, Bristol County RC puts on one in October that is getting bigger every year. Super nice pond and we have our own area for parking and launching our aircraft with trees really only on the far shoreline. Float flying is seems to be making a come back here in NE. Many previous sites have been lost primarily to them being held at state facilities and the states will not open them any more due to budget cuts. Our club is very fortunate to have a pond and area that we can fly at every day of the week and is exclusive to us. There is a two day event held in Greenfield NH too that is a nice FF. There's one in Maine around the same time also. Look in the AMA magazine and you will find the dates. I can tell you I really like flying my warbirds off of land but I LOVE flying my float planes. I am now hooked on scale float planes and put in the same effort building them as my land planes. If you email me your club's web address I will put it on my distribution list for our events including our float flies.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 PM
chistech

A group of us are planning to fly at our pond this Sunday morning starting around 8:30-9:00 It would be about a 1 hour ride at that time going right down thru Boston. The pond is is about a 1/2hr south of Boston at 500 Mary's Pond Road, Rochester MA. Come as my guest and I will help you out. PM me and I will send you my phone. Sunday is supposed to be OK weather wise, not the best, but definitely flyable. Tom Reiner (scale only 4 me) is coming up from OH to fly with us. We'll be flying our Kingfishers among other stuff.

Ted
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Should be a gerat day,,

I test ran my Kingfisher with a new pitts muffler,, much much quieter than the open header YS 120 exhaust I'd be running the last few years,, sounds great on the ground,, as much as that open header hot rod sound was cool,, quieter is better for making sure the neighbors don't get upset.

Cya soon
Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Sipping coffee overlooking Plymouth Harbor,, Nice day,,

cya tomorrow Ted
Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 AM
chistech

Glad to hear you made it safe. You have my phone #s if you can't find it for some reason correct?I extended the offer to Devil but never heard back.

Ted