Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Cessna 177 on Floats???

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Cessna 177 on Floats???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 177 on Floats???

Yes, the Cessna is a much better design.

Jim
Old 12-18-2005, 12:32 PM
gouda
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, there is nothing wrong with my PC. I have seen that image many times. But I don't buy that it is a good pic of the plane. At best, it is a small image that doesn't have any detail when enlarged. I think (My opinion) that it is a artist rendering, not a actual photo.
I'm not investing close to 3 large in something I can't see well enough to make out any detail.

Guess I just buy a Goldberg Cub and the floats made for it. Or maybe the Cessna, at least there is a build thread on that plane.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:26 PM
gouda

How come everytime I use the name "cessna" it becomes a link to the Raidentech cessna ARF? Obviously RCU has something going on here, I'm not ...... never mind.

Piper cub

warhawk

cessna

Ford

piper

mustang

beaver

Pitts

Ultimate

Extra

Franco American

campbells

Hormel

fritos

JR

P40
Old 12-19-2005, 03:43 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

gouda,

have you seen this...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=425

John
Old 12-19-2005, 09:14 AM
gouda

JSN, that was exactly what I was looking for. I knew there had to be something around some where. It looks exactly like what I am looking for. The only concern is the weight. But it seemed to fly on a 46 ok at 8.2 lbs.

Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Woody 51

Gouda, you mention you had problems with an ABC engine? What brand was the motor?
There are guys out there who are using ABC .60's in the Cessna 177 who are having very good results.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM
gouda

Hi Woody;

Sorry, but it wasn't me that said anything about engines problems. My only comment was related to the weight of the Beaver with a 46.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Woody 51

Sorry gouda, yes you are right. It was Idaphone.

Ida- What brand of ABC engine gave you the problems with this model?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Idahoplane

Sorry guys. The ABC engine was a .75 that I first put in my Cessna. The engine is powerful and would have been ideal as it was the perfect engine for the plane. The only problem... the muffler does not clear the plane enough. I even tried to place wedges on the motor mount to give me more clearance from the body. Not enough! The body next to the muffler softened and things were melting.

I replaced it with a Supertigre .61 and it fit perfect and flys great. I should have listened to "I Fly Coolers" when I initially experienced the problem. I wouldn't have had to cut away as much plane initially. It's fixed now and looks good. If I can get my pictures to attach to this site, I'll post a few pictures.

Now I am looking to another plane for the ABC .75 engine. Life is tough. Another plane to fly, oh dear oh dear. Anyone fly the P6E biplane? I am hoping the engine will work in that plane. The problem, I am not sure if the engine will mount a Pitts muffler.

Oh by the way, it's "Idahoplane" not idaphone. It does have a catchy ring.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Woody 51

Idahoplane sorry 'bout the spelling mate. It's not hard to make a mistake when one is tired and almost seeing double on the screen as I was when I wrote that response.
Anyway, the ABC engine you talk about. Is it's brand name "ABC" or is it an ABC as in no ring, brass/chrome liner?. This is the fact I am trying to establish.
Some engines do not have adjustable mufflers as Super Tigre and it would be good to know which actual brand of motor gave you trouble, so we can all avoid using that brand in this model.
Thanks
Dave

Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Idahoplane

The original engine I put in the plane was the Tower Hobby ABC ringed .75. I do not believe the Tower ABC engines have adjustable muffler connections like the Supertigre's.

I was informed early in the project from another modeler that he used a Supertigre .91 in his plane. That should have been my first clue. It would have kept me from customizing the body of the plane to fit the ABC .71 engine. Don't get me wrong, the ABC .71 engine is good engine. It wasn't flexible enough to fit in the Cessna 177. That's why I am going to purchase another plane for the engine. The engine performs very well.

The Supertigre has been placed into the plane and there is not much difference in power. The plane still fly's like a champ. I won't be able to fly it with floats until I return to the lake in Idaho next summer. The lake has plenty of room to fly off and on to.

Read past posting on the Cessna around August and September if this year. Good luck and think about the adjustible mufflers. Falcon will give you free advise, too. Ask for Ed.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Woody 51

Thanks Idaho. Now I get a clearer picture. What happened to you re the heat distortion of the fuselage at the muffler cut out, is also concern of mine as well.

I have both a Super Tigre.75 and a HP .61 GC to chose from, or I go buy a .90 sized 4 stroke.

I do also have a Laser 100, but I think that that engines muffler set up will not suit the way the model is set up by the manufacturer.

One guy in Scandinavia reported flying one of these (set up with trike "land plane" gear) with a plain bearing Magnum .65 2 stroke up front and having no problems, so one does obviously not need to go for a real powerhouse. I would say that a plain bearing OS.61 would also be quite o.k.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Idahoplane

Dave,

One other thing to consider. Some people suggest a Pitts muffler, especially for a 4 stroke. One possible draw back to this is the engine area does not have a movable cowl for easy access.

With all the complication with this issue, one would think the manufacture of the plane would resolve this to allow new fliers interested in the plane a more favorable product. I don't mind a challenge..but...I'd would be nice to have a heads up on what engine would fit nicely into the plane.

I believe once you iron out the bugs, you will appreciate the handling of the aircraft. I'd send pictures of my final product but for some reason my camera system (Kodak) won't allow me to paste a picture to this site. Good luck with your endeavor of this adventure. Keep me updated.

Merry Christmas

Nick
Old 12-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Woody 51

Thanks Idahoplane. I think that it will be easier to just use the supplied muffler. Going 2 stroke is probably the most hassle free way for me. The HP GC .61 muffer angles away from the engine and the ST unit adjusts as you know.

It is SJN who is flying his Cessna (as a land plane) with the Magnum.65 Plain bearing 2 stroke, with OS type mufffler set up. So far he has not reported any problems with heat etc..

See: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._1/key_/tm.htm

Anyway, the HP and the Super Tigre engines look to be best option for me.

There is no Pitts type muffler available for a Laser 4 strokea s far as I know and anyway, the design is more suitable for a radial or inline engine type cowl.

Keep us informed for how things go with your Cessna.

Oh, and if its any comfort, I don't even own a Digital Camera- I'm still using 35mm SLR's.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:21 AM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry I don't have a flight report yet. Closest I got was 3 times dead stick during taxi practice. Got the needles tweaked OK now, just waiting for the right weather, been too cold in the AM here for me!! Here's a shamefull picture of the stalled engine- luckily I was standing downwind!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10194.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	376162  
Old 12-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Woody 51

Looks good I Fly. Keep us all posted as to how it actually flies.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 PM
ppelzer
My Feedback: (1)

has anybody put a saito 100 in one of these? I was able to get the engine in but have not flown yet. Also wondered if anybody used flaperons on this plane
Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Woody 51

Some guys have fitted a 2nd servo on the ailerons and set them up as flaperons with great success. Certainly a consideration for flying off water. For flying off land I guess flaperons would be something to consider if your flying field is limited for space.

I personally could see no reason why a Saito 100 would not be o.k for this model. I guess its juts a matter of making the neccesary adjustments for correct C of G.
HOWEVER, having said that, what sized prop would you be looking at? From my understanding anything over 12 inches diameter on a float set up with this model will "grab" water. You may have to consider something like a 12 x 10 or 13 x9 with a 100 4 cycle.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:05 AM
gouda

Ref: Post 26. This photo seems to show that the plane comes with the molded relief for the muffler. I have also gathered that the cowl is not removable. Can someone give me more info about this or show a photo? I was thinking of this plane for electric, but if it's all molded for the muffler and if I can't remove the cowl, that is not a viable alternative.

Any info would be helpful.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Woody 51

Here's a pic of the fuselage, (courtesy of member SJN) which shows it set up for a 2 stroke. Note the slot for the 2 stroke muffler to slip through. For 4 strokes, there is a moulded piece in the kit, to fill the muffler cut out in.

If you want to go sparkie power, you would have to cut the front of the cowl off with a razor saw. to get access to mount the motor.

Being ABS plastic, you could use some clear RTV Silicone to re attach it and then fill the engine cylinder head cut out with some sheet ABS or shaped balsa and maybe then spray paint the area as Iflycoolers has done with his US Coast Guard version.

As I said, filling in the muffler cut out is already taken care of in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25064.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	381693  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Woody 51

Having mentioned about the Flaperons, can anyone who has set their model up for them tell us just how much "down" throw they have programmed in for the flaperons?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
jrf

You will need 100%. Anything less doesn't do much of anything.

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Woody 51

100% of what? 1/2 an inch, 3/8 of an inch?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
jrf

Flaperons are set as a % of your aileron travel.

Jim
Old 01-07-2006, 01:56 PM
magyarbacsi

I have set mine up with two servos and have flaperon capabilities, but after flying with and without it, I find that I dont need laps. It did help when I used a saito 72 on the initial set up. I have switched to a Magnum 91 4 cycle,( which fit in the engine compartment very nicely and had no problem positioning the muffler away from the fuselage. After over 30 flights, no sign of heat distortion) that pulls the plane off the water with a short run. The Saito 72 took a long run w/o flaps and the flaps did help.

I have found that the Cessna lands much smoother with a bit of speed and just glides in on the surface. If I slow it down too much, it just drops in and is not graceful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.