Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 04:37 AM
Wyoturbine

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Findgareth
Certainly is. Grandkids sleepover (????????) prevented progress and definitely falls into labor of love category. Shout out to Rumen @FokkeRC for helping me out and recutting vertical stab parts I screwed up. He is a blessing! Naive of me I guess as I assume a vertical stab is supposed to be more vertical than a drunken sailor! Long way of saying your precision is excellent! (I am mastering the art of shims to get where you want to be.) Anyway, I was re-skimming your thread and - forgive me if I missed - but wondered how you settled on powering your cockpit slider? (Originally I opted for the lazy one piece approach, then morphed to the two piece manual open/close, now at wondering ….. ahh, time, such an elusive commodity!)

Haha I have 3 kids in elementary and middle school, and they keep us very busy! If I get morning or afternoon in the shop here and there I chalk it up to a win.
On the canopy I decided to go with a manual one. It’ll secure with some small strip magnets on with the forward canopy.
Yes Rumen has been very helpful throughout the build. Emails are responded to in a timely manner and any support I’ve needed was answered or fixed and in the mail quickly. He’s great to work with.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Wyoturbine

I began working on the interior yesterday, the engine was hard mounted, ignition and fuel tank was installed, throttle and choke servo plate was cut out of g-10 and all installed. Still need to solder pushrods to my clevis’s and install the fueler port as well as run baffling for the engine. There is not a lot of room in the fuselage box, so I spent a lot of time working on space management as I still have a receiver, retract controller and 3 life batts to install(which I want as forward as I can get). I need smaller hands!
I wanted to see how she looked with spinner/prop and dummy exhaust stack installed, so a few pictures of that as well.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:05 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Great work John!!
Old 03-16-2023, 09:04 AM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by Prekin
Great work John!!

Thanks Jiri, And right back at ya! Your details sure help bring life to a model. I still have a few more levels of airbrush to run on the exhaust stacks, but even with the base alclad they really come to life!
Old 03-16-2023, 09:21 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

since you told me how you paint the exhaust stacks I paint them in that way!
Old 03-16-2023, 09:26 AM
fokke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice build John!! Super cool scale surface on the model !
Old 03-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by fokke
Very nice build John!! Super cool scale surface on the model !
Thanks Rumen! Now to match it with the wing, hoping to have everything paint ready before flying weather hits here, and I should be painting by early summer I’d hope.
The following users liked this post:
fokke (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 11:04 AM
spitty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing build, so beautiful 🙏
Old 03-16-2023, 12:02 PM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by spitty
Amazing build, so beautiful 🙏
Thanks for the kind words! This one’s been a journey and has taken me entirely too long, but I’m immensely enjoying the process.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:33 PM
Findgareth

Paraphrasing, the saying is to enjoy the journey. I like that except it diminishes the destination. Looks to me you have both bases covered. Kudos.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:51 AM
Wyoturbine

Paraphrasing, the saying is to enjoy the journey. I like that except it diminishes the destination. Looks to me you have both bases covered. Kudos.
I agree with that, and yes getting a build airborne and flying for years to come is the destination, and the best reward.

I shelved the fuse and brought the wing out yesterday, I have some final sanding on the underside to do. Then I’ll begin mapping out panels.

A good friend threw me some small strip magnets for the canopy lock, I believe they’ll work nicely, I’ll post pictures when I get them installed.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:08 PM
Findgareth

Default Your really helpful photos and notes

I offer a photo of my progress as a way to say THANK YOU - I would not have made this progress without. And yes, when I didn’t follow your flow I screwed up ….. and built the fuselage first I had to deconstruct the tail to put the horiz stab in place. Argh. Hence my appreciation of Ruman’s cutting a few replacement parts for me. If my Spit ends up being 1/2 (optimistic!) as good as your’s I shall be well pleased and even then it’s because I’ve learned from your build. Thanks again.

At least I got it square (and yes, 1st time I failed to level the table and jig ). I can spell ROOKIE in my sleep. (It’s actually square but I’d moved a shim from under the jig and didn’t realize for the this photo.)
Old 03-23-2023, 03:23 PM
Wyoturbine

I offer a photo of my progress as a way to say THANK YOU - I would not have made this progress without. And yes, when I didn’t follow your flow I screwed up ….. and built the fuselage first I had to deconstruct the tail to put the horiz stab in place. Argh. Hence my appreciation of Ruman’s cutting a few replacement parts for me. If my Spit ends up being 1/2 (optimistic!) as good as your’s I shall be well pleased and even then it’s because I’ve learned from your build. Thanks again.

At least I got it square (and yes, 1st time I failed to level the table and jig ). I can spell ROOKIE in my sleep. (It’s actually square but I’d moved a shim from under the jig and didn’t realize for the this photo.)
Hi Gareth, your spitfire looks great! And you’re welcome, I’m glad to be of some help. I’m learning as I go myself. That’s part of why I love building. I like the challenge.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:58 PM
Findgareth

Spring in the air around here on the east coast. Is your fantastic build going to be airborne this season?
Old 03-29-2023, 02:55 PM
Wyoturbine

Spring in the air around here on the east coast. Is your fantastic build going to be airborne this season?
It’s just about here as well! I’m going to try for late summer but the spring is typically when I get to fly the most as my kids are still in school. Once summer hits I’m typically on full time Dad duty, which I enjoy, it definitely limits my flying/building.
The last few days I’ve had in my shop I’ve been going through my other warbirds making sure they were ready to go. On poor weather days I’ll continue to work on the spit. But I’m not one to put deadlines on models, seems to add unneeded pressure and takes the fun out it.
Findgareth (03-29-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:28 AM
Findgareth

An opps - I intended to post to Rumen/FokkeRC.

Last edited by Findgareth; 03-31-2023 at 08:30 AM. Reason: It didn’tgo to correct recipient
Old 03-31-2023, 08:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts

Don't you just love those 2 axis laser levels? I lucked into one a number of years ago for $20, best money I ever spent!
Findgareth (03-31-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 12:21 PM
Wyoturbine

Ok, back at it! Began working on underside of the wing yesterday, mapping hatches and panel lines. I’ll begin riveting flush rivets using a soldering iron and brass pipe once it’s all mapped out.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:26 AM
Wyoturbine

Flush rivets, slow going but the effect should look great after paint. Gear door detail next.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:23 AM
Findgareth

So much detail and so much patience. Discussed w/Chad Veitch how many rivets to use and I bottled out of the full deal and went for a mere 17,000 (applying them is a long way in my future so I have time for my patience to grow). It’s going to look awesome!!!
Old 12-23-2023, 08:11 AM
Wyoturbine

[QUOTE=Findgareth;12790561]So much detail and so much patience. Discussed w/Chad Veitch how many rivets to use and I bottled out of the full deal and went for a mere 17,000 (applying them is a long way in my future so I have time for my patience to grow). It’s going to look awesome!!![/QUOTE/]

Thanks Gareth, the detailing does take time but you get in a groove and pretty soon you’re done with a section, and moving on to the next. Chad’s hatch and round headed rivet pack has been a huge timesaver on the fuselage for sure. And the soldering iron/pipe method has been going smoother than I first imagined it would.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:14 PM
Wyoturbine

Couple more photos, I have a few more details to add to this half but it’s getting there.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:29 PM
Wyoturbine

Underside is all but finished minus some blisters and a few other touches. Decided to get going with those as well as the ones on the upper surface of the wing. The main Hispano cannon blister is from Jiri at JPWarbirds, the others I built up and am in process of glassing.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts

I love the details!
Old 01-05-2024, 04:56 AM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I love the details!
Thanks! This one has taken me far too long but life happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.