Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Twin Storm 800 Owners!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Kyosho Twin Storm 800 Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 AM
dylan gregory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Twin Storm 800 Owners!

so ur saying i can charge my car battery at the
same time im charging my boat batteries
Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 AM
13BT

yep!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Antony Poon

The Kyosho 4mm U-Joint at both ends is much shorter and will give you much less work to apply.

See my previous photo and discussion.

Metal prop? No where. I have been waiting for four months for my Korean boat. TS? Use plastic is good enough.

If you wish to use 8 cells X 2, you need to change a few things. Look out too fast as it will flip your boat too, even at straight line. Hard to make sharp turns. Water etc., overheating, melting (including Dean plugs) etc.

Read our old old discussions.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 AM
dylan gregory

hey 13bt
how many amps do u charge your batteries on and how long does your boat run for.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 AM
13BT

Ideally, id charge it at 1C which means i charge it at the same current as the mAh stated on the battery. But sometimes im not organised and im in a hurry so i charge it at greater than 1C, sometimes double that (2C) so it takes about half an hour. You should not charge a battery greater than 3C.
My boat runs longer than 5 min on 7cell 1700s and longer than 7 min on 6 cell 3600s. I run stock motors.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 AM
dylan gregory

k thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
bennettjoh

I will be installing the Novak HV-MAXX 4.5 system into my kyosho twinstorm.
Please give some advice on how you set up yours.
I will use the gear box. What size gears should I use? What size prop?
details about your setup would really help thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 08:58 AM
bennettjoh

WHAT PROP DO YOU USE? I am installing the HV MAXX 4.5 system in my twinstorm now but I am not sure which size prop to use.
I have two different size pinion gears and two different size spur gears. pinion: 27 and 25 spur: 40 and 42
which ones should I use with what prop?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Antony Poon

Bennettjoh,

Sorry that I have not TOUCHED any boats for 6 months now. I do not remember which size of prop is better. I can only remember for your possible setting, it may be one size bigger than the stock (red) one. Do not use my other props that I mentioned as I used TWIN HV-Maxx set up. They would be too big for you.

Because of over heating problem. Use the 42 & 25, the higher ratio the better. But try not to go over ratio 3 or it will not be fast. Adjust the angle of the to -2, -1 etc on your prop. That will make it faster, but that also depends on water current. Be very CAREFUL, you flip your boat and your HV-Maxx will be gone. It is better to go very slow as a start. I burned twice on my HV-maxx and therefore I do not use it any more. It was fast and fun but cannot stand water. I suggest you apply lots of water-resistance methods to avoid water. Read my previous message. Use those methods from OE. They work fine but make sure you do a good job or water still got in like mine. (Already tried 4 HV-Maxx and 2 turned into smoke). As soon as you do not flip your boat, the motor will still be dry. Then, you can continue to play your boat (if you use the method from OE). If you don't, you may lose your whole HV-Maxx on your first run. Watch out!!! I miss my boats! (It is 3 am in the morning and I am working! That's why I cannot play boats any more.) Good Luck!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:45 AM
dylan gregory

hi everyone
i have a twinstorm that i want to make faster. any cheep suggestions
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
bennettjoh

ANTHONY
HOW DID YOU GET YOUR GEAR RATION TO 2.5? WHAT GEARS DID YOU USE AND WHAT PROP DID YOU USE?
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 32 SPUR OR PINION?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Antony Poon

OK, try using 42 Spur and 18 pinion to get to 2.3. It may work or overheat depending on number of cells you use. If the new HV-Maxx is strong enough, you may also try the 1.68 ratio (i.e. using spur 42 and 25 pinion). Don't forget to let us know. To begin with, use your red prop first. It is easier to make sharp turn and less heat (but slower).

Remember to use the methods from OE to waterproof you ESC!!! If you flip your boat, stop right away and let it dry for a few days or with hair dryer. Hope that you can save your motor and ESC.

Remember to cut half of your trim tab with fin. Otherwise, you cannot make sharp turns.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
dentita

Hi .

Can you tell me what major modifications have you made in your boat, in order to have this maximun speed ???

Are you happy with your twin storm? Is is faster than the Traxxas Villain Ex model ???

Thanks !
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 PM
overgeared

Anthony, are you using the new sintered rotors in your HV4400 MAXX motors? They run ALOT cooler than the original bonded rotors, and pump out more power. I just picked up a Twinstorm off e-bay and intend to Twin HV4400 Maxx it like you, but will ditch the fans for a completely sealed water cooled item which intelocks with the Novaks exposed FETS. As Novak don't sell a water cooling option for the HV4400, this will be custom made set of heat exchangers. Water cooling jackets on the motors will also be a must. With this much power on board, drag from cooling pickups will be only a secondary concern to reliable running. Should be a fun project which I'll update everyone on should others be interested.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 AM
Antony Poon

Simon, I did use two sets of plastic FETS (TRAXXAS #1581) in addition to the fan. The fans did not work well but you need water pick-ups from the bottom of your boat for the FETS. Try to separate the water so that they cool down different parts.

No, mine were old. And you should not use two motors/systems of different batchs. They will performance differently and create unnecessary heat.

I do not think using twin HV4400 MAXX is a good idea on this boat. If you read my previous experience, I was able to kept increasing the size of the propeller. But the boat is unable to handle the speed, even if there is no one playing, racing the boats here in Hong Kong. The boat will flip over and I had to stop playing. Actually, I burned two sets of HV 4400. If you have to try, make sure you use those water-proof methods from Offshore. The plastic is ugly (black in color) but it works well. Just be very careful to cover every part of it. I burned mine because I did not at the beginning.

I now gave up using HV 4400. Because the current here in racing is too much that we always flip our boats. Thus, brushless to me is not a good choice. We cannot water-proof the motor.

Lastly, it may be a big job for you to hook up all the cables for twin HV 4400 with cooling systems. Using 5 mm gold connectors may be a great help to reduce heat. Just be careful!

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Antony Poon

Simon,

By the way, the TRAXXAS #1581 will contain the following:-

Watercooling kit, EVX Marine ESC (heat sin (1), Water pickup (1)/backing plate (1)/3 X 12RM (stainless) (2) / tubing (1 ft.).

Good luck!
Antony
p.s. Don't forget to use the metal or plastic cooling jackets for your motors.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 AM
overgeared

Thanks Anthony. Did you use the silicone cooling jackets that towerhobbies sells? The standard KA6 aluminium heat sink actually fits the HV-Maxx - just not sure about the insulation the HV-Maxx uses to separate the air cooled heat sinks. Can you short out the FETS if you bridge them? The KA6 insulates each bank of FETS and is internally insultated too. Make the Traxxas heat sink equivalent IMHO and it is a dual pass type and cheaper too. Will order some very soon. I want this thing to be cool. As far as controlling your flipping, did you try moving your packs forward or angling the prop down more? I have a very large lake I can run on, so tight turns aren't an issue. I am also using a JR-Z1 controller, so will be able to adjust the steering throw and speed profiles to ensure smoother launches.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Antony Poon

Simon, at my time when I played my TwinStorm, the best type cooling jacket was plastic (that allows water to run directly on the motor). I got them from Offshore and I see that they are now selling some metal ones.

What do you mean by "Short out" the FETS? I did not need to cut them, but after I pressed the FETS on the metal legs (for cooling), I applied water-proof clue on top of the whole ESC (of which has no case). It worked very well with water pick-up from the bottom of the boat (used two water pick-ups). If you mean the "shorting the electronic" then no need to worry. They are made of plastic.

No, flipping the boat in here, was meant, the boat flipped by itself because of too much power. It was too fast even it flipped on straight line (in clam water). Please take note that all necessary methods were used to keep the head down. In fact, if I adjusted it a little too deep, it might just dive into the water. My conclusion was, this boat is a fun boat and I still love to play with it. But the speed of it cannot reach too high (e.g. over 35 or 40 km/hr.) If you install TWIN systems, it will work with many options to play. But make sure you keep the speed down.

p.s. ON the lake? With your intended set up, the boat will be very very heavy. It works fine when trying. But you may lose your whole boat when it has a flip and dive. It is simply too heavy! (Two motors, ESCs, 14 cells, etc).
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 AM
overgeared

What brand of 32 pitch spur gear did you use? I'm having trouble sourcing a direct fit to the stock hub/spur gear holder in the ratio I'm chasing.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:35 AM
overgeared

Ok, I found a pair of steel Robinson Racing Products 17 tooth pinions in 32 pitch, and a 50 tooth Team Associated spur gear desind for one of their nitro off road buggies. A little bit of modification was required to make the spur fit the Kyosho holder, but nothing that reaming out the spur gears three holes with a sharp drill bit won't remedy. I have installed the two HV MAXX 6.5 Motors complete with silicon cooling jackets and Gundert bottom pick ups for each motor. I have 4 Max Amps 6000HV Lipos on their way to provide power and reduce weight while boosting run time. They also fit my MSXX Stick pack chassis mod touring car, so will not be wasted should this project go under... excuse the pun.. The HV Maxx ESC's have been rewired in beefier 12GA wire and set up using Novaks single battery wiring configuration... I plan to wire 2 pairs of Lipos in series, 1 pair per ESC to reduce the current draw. The Max Amps are good for a continuous 120 AMPS, which should be ok for this application...... I hope...... 4 Traxxas Villian ESC water cooled heatsinks drawing from the prop wash pickup through oversized tubing will hopefully handle the cooling duties on the power control side. I still need to fabricate a new steering servo support bracket and secure the ESC's. Water proofing the ESC is a top priority, I'd hate to toast nearly a half a grand worth of electronics! I will try the standard red prop before entertaining larger propping options. I know I will need to look into turn fins and possibly trim tabs as well, as well as replacing the factory uni joint. I will see how this boat performs first before deciding on which handling mods are required.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 AM
overgeared

Anthony, did you connect both of your HV-Maxx motors to a Y-harness and then plug this into your throttle socket in your receiver? I'm finding that each HV Maxx will run independently just fine when the other one isn't powered up, but things go a bit screwy when they are connected up together. I managed to program each motor to run the same, however the LOCK ROTOR light comes on one of the motors (the other one works fine) when I hit the throttle. I think the BEC's are fighting with each other. I pulled the red wire from the harness to one of the HV Maxx, however the speed control doesn't work when this is done. If I don't hear from you, I'll try Novak direct and see what they have to say. Cheers, Simon
Old 12-15-2007, 02:14 AM
overgeared

Scratch that - one of my test lipos was stuffed. Works great now with the red wire disconnected from one of the HV-Maxx receiver harness. Just a few more water proofing checks... and maybe a new lipo, and this boat will be hitting the water.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:47 AM
overgeared

First test run was a success! Waaaay undergeared using the 17 tooth pinions and 50 tooth spur! Speed was roughly the same as stock, I'd guess around 20-25mph, and the boat was HEAPS quieter but reved out very quickly. Will either order a larger prop for the current gear ratios, or reinstall the factory gearing and retain the factory prop and see how things go... or both. The factory gearing is about double what I'm running, so it should absolutely scream in theory... Everything ran nice and cool with the cooling setup, and the HV 6000 Mah Maxx Amps didn't ever get above ambient. Run time was well over 20 minutes. I might even rewire so two packs will run both motors instead of the 4 packs I'm running now. Will keep those of you interested updated with my progress... or disasters. Porposing is currently an issue so will fiddle with the COG..
Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
nguy0951

anyone know where i can find spare part for this boat
Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Mauseth

You shold try your local kyosho dealer.
If you want this thing to be fast, try a single Feiago 9L with a Castle Hydra 120.
You will be looking at 30-35mph with a x642.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.